I have taken many suggestions and this is the new PC I will get. See any issues?

Steve Dave

CAGiversary!
Any conflicts or should I be good to go?

How long do you think I will be able to play game with some good graphics and no slow down? Just curious what you think.

Thermaltake Soprano VB1430BWS Black Chassis: 0.8 mm SECC, Front Door: Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

eVGA 256-P2-N389-AX Geforce 6800GS CO SE 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I'd get a bigger hardrive. And perhaps faster ram, but if this is what your budget allows, you should be very happy with the setup.
As far as games you'll be good for awhile.
You'll have to upgrade when/if you move to vista to enable support for the hd-dvd or blu-ray. something to do with drm.

"You'll have to upgrade when/if you move to vista to enable support for the hd-dvd or blu-ray. something to do with drm."

What would this upgrade include?

Will I need vista? I saw where halo 2 will/might require it but will that become a standard for games? I would be happy using 3.1 is games supported it.

I know the hard drive isn't the biggest but I don't think I will need over 80GB.

I've only done a little research on SLi and Crossfire setups, but if you ever intend to put a second 6800 in there and utilize the SLi setup you may need to up that power supply.

Will uping the power supply be a problem when that time comes?

Will I need to get a new case or can I just unscrew the old power supply and plug in a new one? Any idea?

if HD-DVD and Blu-ray dvd rom drives actually existed on the market, it would be something you'd need to worry about. In the meantime, don't pay attention to HD-DVD or Blu-ray. As it is, Vista betas come on DVD, and they don't require HD-DVD or blu-ray.

The 3500+ appears to have a 1Ghz FSB, meaning you'll need to find 500mhz DDR ram PC4000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what needs to be done.

[quote name='Steve Dave']Will uping the power supply be a problem when that time comes?

Will I need to get a new case or can I just unscrew the old power supply and plug in a new one? Any idea?[/QUOTE]

I dunno much about the case but yeah generally you can just put in a ATX 550 or so watt power supply inplace of the old one. Make sure to get the right one you need for all your connections and such though. Also, they actually sell SLi certified power supplies too IIRC.

It won't be too much trouble. I've never had to replace one yet but you may even consider swapping it out before building the PC because I'm sure placing all the supply connectors to your motherboard and all the drives can be a slight chore with everything inside the case (one you maybe able to avoid if you know you want to use SLi at some point).

[quote name='kakomu']if HD-DVD and Blu-ray dvd rom drives actually existed on the market, it would be something you'd need to worry about. In the meantime, don't pay attention to HD-DVD or Blu-ray. As it is, Vista betas come on DVD, and they don't require HD-DVD or blu-ray.

The 3500+ appears to have a 1Ghz FSB, meaning you'll need to find 500mhz DDR ram PC4000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what needs to be done.[/QUOTE]

No 400 will do just fine.

[quote name='twiztidjester']No 400 will do just fine.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure 400 will do just fine, but 500mhz for optimal performance with the 1Ghz FSB.

bread's done
Back