I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It normally states right on the box the street date.

Except in this case it doesn't. We still have whats left of our shipment sitting in our stockroom in the box that it shipped in. Nowhere on it or in it was anything about a street date at all.

That said, in a related story, we recently broke street date on a bunch of Star Wars collectibles accidently. Never heard a word about it. Maybe I just work at a Target that gets lucky with these things.

Just got back from the Atlantic Avenue Target in Brooklyn. Managed to snag a lite for me, and one for the girlfriend.

I found a worker in housewares, asked if he could do a stock check for me, and gave him the product code for the Lite: 207 01 0007

His handheld computer thing said that they were all in the stockroom, so he went back there and returned with 2 brand new ds lites.

Complete credit for this idea goes to JETFIRE714 on Fatwallet, as soon as I read his post it seemed just clever enough to work. I just had to try since there were absolutely no stores that broke the street date here.

[quote name='cottonballs']Damn south gate Target... I love you!!!!!!!
Thanks to a tip from Kirra on the So-Cal board I am a proud owner of 2 Ds Lites. There were about 8 left at 11:50am.[/QUOTE]
Thanks cottonballs! I just picked mine up at the South Gate Target. There were still 10 left.

You're Welcome! :)

[quote name='snood']Just got back from the Atlantic Avenue Target in Brooklyn. Managed to snag a lite for me, and one for the girlfriend.

I found a worker in housewares, asked if he could do a stock check for me, and gave him the product code for the Lite: 207 01 0007

His handheld computer thing said that they were all in the stockroom, so he went back there and returned with 2 brand new ds lites.

Complete credit for this idea goes to JETFIRE714 on Fatwallet, as soon as I read his post it seemed just clever enough to work. I just had to try since there were absolutely no stores that broke the street date here.[/quote]

I just called a local Target and told them the product code and he said they had none in there backroom. They nver put them out on the fall either....

any updates from around the bay area, ca? im still not having any luck. ive called several targets, most of which have them, all of which told me to come in on the 11th, as they arent selling them until then. . . .

Ohio CAGs, listen up!

Called Target. They had it in the back.

Arrive at Target. No one around in electronics (as usual). Push shiny red button.

Old dude shows up. With the computer gun thing.

Show him that there aren't any Lites in the case. Tell him the number (actually inadvertantly memorized it... good thing I did). Says it's in the back.

Wait.

Wait.

Puts about seven DS Lites in the case. Sells me one.

The Target on Princeton Rd. in Hamilton/Fairfield Township.

Have fun.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used the "JETFIRE714" code system. 207 01 0007 is the magic word y'all. Call 'em up, see if they have it, and proceed from there as you please.

[quote name='snood']Just got back from the Atlantic Avenue Target in Brooklyn. Managed to snag a lite for me, and one for the girlfriend.

Complete credit for this idea goes to JETFIRE714 on Fatwallet, as soon as I read his post it seemed just clever enough to work. I just had to try since there were absolutely no stores that broke the street date here.[/quote]

Oh, this... this idea is tempting. I'm conflicted now. I had given up... but... :whistle2:|

Went to try the DCPI at a Target in So Flo. (Naples) that I had been to twice already with no luck. Punched in the DCPI and nothing. :( Checked the aisle and there she was sitting all pretty. Rang up without a hitch.

[quote name='Iano']Went to try the DCPI at a Target in So Flo. (Naples) that I had been to twice already with no luck. Punched in the DCPI and nothing. :( Checked the aisle and there she was sitting all pretty. Rang up without a hitch.[/quote]
It really does seem to be the luck of getting there when the right (/wrong) person decides "hey, these should be out on the shelf!"

I just went and tried the product number idea with a very nice gentleman who knew nothing about the DS... he typed it in and it came up on his hand computer, but wouldn't tell him whether there were any in the store room or not. He asked somebody else (who I also think didn't know anything about the DS) and she told him that meant there weren't any. Which I know to be untrue, since I spoke to the actual electronics guys there about it on Wednesday and they told me they were in the back, but I wasn't going to push my luck, because she said I was the second person to ask about it. :cry:

There's one more semi-local Target store I could try the product number thing on tomorrow, but they're a 25 minute drive away, so I'll have to decide whether it's really worth almost an hour round trip to maybe strike out again. Every day I keep trying is one day less that it's "early", after all.

I just tried the product number thing at the target here in Cupertino, no dice. Showed up on the employee scanner device, but the employee said it was saying they didn't have any.

If anyone finds any in the bay area please let me know, I'll be happy to pay $10 extra if they pick up one for me.

When I tried it, they guy went to the back to grab one and said they where in a box with a big red sticker that read "NO SALE UNTIL JUNE 11th". O well

[quote name='cottonballs']Damn south gate Target... I love you!!!!!!!
Thanks to a tip from Kirra on the So-Cal board I am a proud owner of 2 Ds Lites. There were about 8 left at 11:50am.[/QUOTE]

huh? thats wierd, i posted after i got mine from there on wednesday and the next person that went there posted here that they were sold out a mere 6 hours later.....guess the guy was mistaken. I figured they werent going to sell 23 DS Lites in the span of the same day. Makes more sense that buy thursday/friday there were still 8 left.

and then okys responds after cottonballs and there are 10 left? what, are their DS Lites making babies?

meh i dont care anymore, i had just felt bad that someone went later ond wednesday and said they were all sold out, and now apparently they are back in stock.....and growing.

Are there any CAGs that can pick one up for me? I'll reimburse the cost, plus shipping and Paypal fees.

And toneroni, someone said that he got a DS Lite at the Target on Atlantic Ave on Brooklyn. Man! I wish I knew about that. I was near there today. Argh!!!

i was able to get one at sears garden city... ordered it online (before they took it off) chose "in store pick-up"... went there to pick it up, asked if there's more... they only got 2 for the whole store, when they scanned the other ds lite, it says "do not sell" they found out that they're not suppose to sell it till June 16th (16th???)... but since i bought the other one online, they gave that to me... the other, the locked away til june 16.... ( i have no idea why june 16)...

[quote name='Iano']Went to try the DCPI at a Target in So Flo. (Naples) that I had been to twice already with no luck. Punched in the DCPI and nothing. :( Checked the aisle and there she was sitting all pretty. Rang up without a hitch.[/QUOTE]

Which Target in Naples was this at? =) I'm in Orlando, but I wouldn't mind driving over there to pick one up.

tried a sears in san jose today, guy at the counter told me he thought they had them. he left and looked around in the back room for a good fifteen minutes until he came back out and told me they were out of them, and they must have sold them all. that they were even selling them was news to me, as i had called earlier in the week and they told me that they did indeed had them, but already knew about the release date error. also tried the frys in campbell, the clerk told me he knew for a fact that they had 60 in the back and that anyone who broke the street date was going to face a fine. . . . anyone else? luck around the bay area, ca?

[quote name='kjauburn']I am sure its in the 39 pages somewhere. Amazon is currently selling pre-orders if you want to save your gas money.[/quote]

Buying them for june 11th isn't the issue here. It's getting one now and early.
You will be able to get these most anywhere come june11th/12th.

[quote name='Tyvan']Buying them for june 11th isn't the issue here. It's getting one now and early.
You will be able to get these most anywhere come june11th/12th.[/quote]

Trust me I know, but after checking 3 stores myself and no one having much luck in the ATL I am just waiting for the release now.

can anyone tell me what the voltage range is for the adapter,
because i'm heading off for china and they have 220v

[quote name='Z-Saber']Ohio CAGs, listen up!

Called Target. They had it in the back.

Arrive at Target. No one around in electronics (as usual). Push shiny red button.

Old dude shows up. With the computer gun thing.

Show him that there aren't any Lites in the case. Tell him the number (actually inadvertantly memorized it... good thing I did). Says it's in the back.

Wait.

Wait.

Puts about seven DS Lites in the case. Sells me one.

The Target on Princeton Rd. in Hamilton/Fairfield Township.

Have fun.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used the "JETFIRE714" code system. 207 01 0007 is the magic word y'all. Call 'em up, see if they have it, and proceed from there as you please.[/quote]

I did virtually the same thing last nite. I just ran into some pretty little girl in the area where they sell picture frames and stuff. Gave here the number and five minutes later I was at the register checking out!

P1010238.JPG

More pics:
http://abrokenmind.org/v/otherstuff/dslite/

After being told they have the DS Lites in stock last night but can't sale til the 11th. I'm now interested in using this # technique. And I get the basics of it, find someone in another department who looks gullable. Then I just go up, and ask them if they have this items # in stock? Is that how you guys have been doing it?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']They caught on because IGN decided to tip Nintendo off. Street date violations happen all the time, but nothing happens (usually, stores will start selling it too if a competitor does) unless someone makes a big stink about it. We were warned all about selling stuff early when I worked at Cockbusters, but if Walmart decided to sell it earlier? Hell, it was on like Donkey Kong (serious pun intended).[/quote]

Wait, what? IGN tipped off Nintendo? What happened?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]here's my post from fatwallet.. basically tells you what to do with the DPCI#... trying to find someone in another dept. is key.. electronics most likely won't sell them or go to the stockroom to get it... so browse around target first and choose your friend...

my buddy and I were able to get 2 from the Target in Santa Ana, CA on Bristol and 17th.. right across from Santa Ana College... we tried the one on Bristol close to Macarthur but there was a lesbian total butch that wouldn't sell them to us... she told us that they would come out in 2 months so we tried another associate... and she said they were instock, in the back, but butch wouldn't give her the keys to retrieve them in the back...

anyways.. the DPCI# IS 207 01 0007.. so what exactly do u do with this #??

first off.. find someone with a Scanner thing... its called an LRT...

tell them you need a stock check and you need to find its location... then tell them that you have the DPCI#?
if they're nice.. they should pull it up... find locations in the back.. and voila.. you've got a ds lite a couple days early...

here's some pics... just got back.. haven't opened it yet.. and yes i did buy nursing pads for my wife and i got 10% off...

here's some pics...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg

off to worst buy to get mario with my rewards zone cash...
[/FONT]

[quote name='JETFIRE714'][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]here's my post from fatwallet.. basically tells you what to do with the DPCI#... trying to find someone in another dept. is key.. electronics most likely won't sell them or go to the stockroom to get it... so browse around target first and choose your friend...

my buddy and I were able to get 2 from the Target in Santa Ana, CA on Bristol and 17th.. right across from Santa Ana College... we tried the one on Bristol close to Macarthur but there was a lesbian total butch that wouldn't sell them to us... she told us that they would come out in 2 months so we tried another associate... and she said they were instock, in the back, but butch wouldn't give her the keys to retrieve them in the back...

tell them you need a stock check and you need to find its location... then tell them that you have the DPCI#?
if they're nice.. they should pull it up... find locations in the back.. and voila.. you've got a ds lite a couple days early...

here's some pics... just got back.. haven't opened it yet.. and yes i did buy nursing pads for my wife and i got 10% off...

here's some pics...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg

[/FONT][/quote]

when you ask them, what if they ask what are you looking for? Did they ask you what it was you were looking for?

i avoided telling them it was for the ds lite...

approach them.. excuse me, could you do a stock check, i'd like to know if you have any locations for a particular item... usually they'll say for what item... then just say, i have the DPCI#, if that will help...

may or may not work...

[quote name='Erving']when you ask them, what if they ask what are you looking for? Did they ask you what it was you were looking for?[/quote]

Tell them you are looking for Nintendoes. And let that be it.

This method doen't work where I live. My Target stores have them in the back in boxes with big red stickers on them..JUNE 11TH. So both times I tried this they said they had them, went to the back to grab one and came back with the bad news.
Anyone in GA having any luck?

[quote name='Tyvan']Tell them you are looking for Nintendoes. And let that be it.

This method doen't work where I live. My Target stores have them in the back in boxes with big read stickers on them..JUNE 11TH. So both times I tried this they said they had them, went to the back to grab one and came back with the bad news.
Anyone in GA having any luck?[/quote]

Nope, I'm in Athens and have had no luck. They admit they have them, but no go on selling them.

[quote name='eddieness']so can anyone answer my question about the what the voltage range for the adapter is?[/quote]

Just checked the bottom of mine.

100-120v only.

[quote name='JETFIRE714'][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]here's my post from fatwallet.. basically tells you what to do with the DPCI#... trying to find someone in another dept. is key.. electronics most likely won't sell them or go to the stockroom to get it... so browse around target first and choose your friend...

here's some pics...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg

[/FONT][/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Did what snood posted and it worked! After going to multiple stores (Target, Meijer, Sears, Walmart, etc.) in or around Chicago and the West Suburbs, I decided what the hell. So I got up early this morning and decided to head down to a Target close to my house. I tried it at the Target in Brickyard first with no luck. I asked a girl who I THOUGHT was holding one of the guns. She took me straight to the Electronics counter so I knew my plan was over. So I headed out to the next closest Target. This one:

Norridge Target
[SIZE=-1]4050 N Harlem Ave , Norridge, IL 60706-1202 US[/SIZE]

I got there, found a person with a gun, and asked her. But instead of checking it right away, she took me back to the electronics section. But luckily, no one was there. So she called a random associate on here walkie talkie to come over for assistance. A guy came over and I told him that I was looking for a gameboy and I had the stock number and was just wondering if they had any in stock for me to buy. He punced in the number in his little gun about 5 times, checked the case, and told me he'd be right back. At this point, I'm sweating balls.

Seriously.

Miniature testicles were coming out of my pores.

So anyway, he comes back and asks me if this is it. And I say yeah that's it. I say thanks a lot. And he so he asks me when is this thing supposed to come out? And I say I don't know but I've been looking like crazy. So it rings up no problem and I'm standing there shaking while handing him the money. I walk out and my saga ends!

So... Long story short, by now, every target has them. It's really not a matter of finding the store, but finding the right associate. There is a bit of luck involved, but common sense will get you through most of it. But for everyone else...

Tip 1:
Avoid saying DS Lite as much as possible. Say Gameboy if you have to.

Tip 2:
Try finding people who you know will most likely not know anything about the DS Lite or gaming in general. Older women or girls in general work best.

Tip 3:
Try to go in the morning. When you go early in the morning when Target opens, there is an ABUNDANCE of people with scanning guns stocking items for the day. This'll give you a better selection of marks to choose from.

Well, hope that helped. The DS is really as beautiful as the pictures make it look. And without further ado, THE PICS!

DS1.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg

You people go through too much trouble for this... geez, in a week every store will have a billion of these things on the shelf. I mean, geez, one guy went to 20 stores..? I think I'd rather wait a week then burn through a gas tank and time.

I did see a guy go up to the electronics desk today, tell a guy he called earlier and had a DS Lite on hold (this was at 12 pm today) and the desk guy tells him "Um...no, I was the only one here all morning, nobody has asked for one, but nice try, try again on the 11th".

[quote name='Roufuss']You people go through too much trouble for this... geez, in a week every store will have a billion of these things on the shelf. I mean, geez, one guy went to 20 stores..? I think I'd rather wait a week then burn through a gas tank and time.

I did see a guy go up to the electronics desk today, tell a guy he called earlier and had a DS Lite on hold (this was at 12 pm today) and the desk guy tells him "Um...no, I was the only one here all morning, nobody has asked for one, but nice try, try again on the 11th".[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I stopped by my Target once and they didn't have them. I basically said fuck it i'll wait a week.

[quote name='Roufuss']You people go through too much trouble for this... geez, in a week every store will have a billion of these things on the shelf. I mean, geez, one guy went to 20 stores..? I think I'd rather wait a week then burn through a gas tank and time.[/quote]

I also agree - I called EB to see if they were selling early because I had a preorder there - they weren't so I'll wait a week...

I tried two Targets and two Walmarts and neither had Lite's on the shelf. At the one Target I tried the trick of telling them that I called earlier and they were holding one for me. The guy was just about to go to the back and get me one when his manager came over and she told me they couldnt sell it till next week. Ohh well it's just another week, I'll just pick it up then.

I'm still pissed at Target. My story was similar (to the one above) except that I actually did have one on hold but they refused to sell it to me. I know that noone really gets in trouble for these kind of things (there are no fines, only slaps on the wrist). I just thought it was BS that I drove out 10 miles after they told me I'd be able to pick one up.

Well, I tried the stock # trick this afternoon with a nice young lady in the housewares dept. of my local Target. She punched the code into her gun, and it bleated out a series of quick beeps. She said they didn't have them, and asked if it was something I'd found "on the internet." She told me that not everything on Target.com is in-store. I just agreed with a smile and left her alone.

Anyway, they do have them in stock, as confirmed by a guy in the games dept. (later), and by the fact that I punched the code into one of those price check stations (just use the numbers along the right side, and hit enter), so I guess her gun returned a message different from the price check station, which had said "in stockroom", and "N/A" for aisle location.

Oh well... I scored a used copy of Phoenix Wright elsewhere earlier today, so I'm feeling pretty good. :)

Heh, just came across this thread linked from Gamespot and saw that Trakan went to the Oak Creek, WI target to get his.

I work at the Target on 27th and Layton in Milwaukee, and work Electronics around twice a week.

We got a note on our computer system message board not to sell them until street, and all of the Electronics employees have been told so, as well as the backroom people (So all of you people trying to snag one from the backroom under our noses most likely won't get far in our store...).

We're used to people wanting things from the backroom that we cannot sell because of Star Wars toys that have definite street dates that we cannot sell before.

@j.roc525: We're trained extensively against guys with tactics such as yours. It's hilarious to see people on the other side. :)

@edavis0780: If we break street date and sell something that cannot be sold before the date, we risk our jobs. I've never seen someone get fined/etc for breaking street, but I have seen someone almost lose their job because of it.

[quote name='Roufuss']You people go through too much trouble for this... geez, in a week every store will have a billion of these things on the shelf. I mean, geez, one guy went to 20 stores..? I think I'd rather wait a week then burn through a gas tank and time.

I did see a guy go up to the electronics desk today, tell a guy he called earlier and had a DS Lite on hold (this was at 12 pm today) and the desk guy tells him "Um...no, I was the only one here all morning, nobody has asked for one, but nice try, try again on the 11th".[/quote]

Look if someone wants to go though the trouble to get something they want (say a DS LITE) then thats their bussiness. This Thread about the joys of people wanting a Ds Lite "EARLY" I think you tried and falied ''shitty" now your just upset because you didn't get one. If you want to wait to June 11th then please do so just stop craping on people because they have one early and you don't. It's also funny that your on a thread about the Ds Lites early and you don't even have one BUT WAIT you'll have one on June 11th... if your not broke or cheap. lol

[quote name='Mr. Greg']Heh, just came across this thread linked from Gamespot and saw that Trakan went to the Oak Creek, WI target to get his.

I work at the Target on 27th and Layton in Milwaukee, and work Electronics around twice a week.

We got a note on our computer system message board not to sell them until street, and all of the Electronics employees have been told so, as well as the backroom people (So all of you people trying to snag one from the backroom under our noses most likely won't get far in our store...).

We're used to people wanting things from the backroom that we cannot sell because of Star Wars toys that have definite street dates that we cannot sell before.

@j.roc525: We're trained extensively against guys with tactics such as yours. It's hilarious to see people on the other side. :)

@edavis0780: If we break street date and sell something that cannot be sold before the date, we risk our jobs. I've never seen someone get fined/etc for breaking street, but I have seen someone almost lose their job because of it.[/quote]

thats cool but like i said if we want it we'lll have it.I respect not want to lose your job over it but everyone is not informed or doesn't care in some stores.

Motherfucker. They better be selling these goddamn next Sunday none of this ship date bullshit.

I know the Wal*Mart near me has these and just won't sell them to me. I saw the shipment and now whenever I call up acting as a different character they give me a different line. 'We don't have them/I don't know when we can sell them/Didn't you call this morning?/etc./etc.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back