I just opened a vinyl-only record store, check it out!

wannabepunktony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Last week, my wife and I opened the e-doors to our new vinyl-only record store, Nerd Alert Records. We specialize only in vinyl, no CDs at all (unless they come packed with the vinyl of course) and we carry 99% new records. We have shit from different genres (hip-hop, punk, metal, indie, alternative, emo, ska, whatever) as well as many new releases (Radiohead - Best Of, Weezer - Red Album, Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons...) and color variants of albums exclusive to our store!

We offer $3.50 flat-rate U.S. shipping, every order gets a free 7" record from our box o' random 7"s (while supplies last), and every record purchased until June 26th is good for one raffle ticket in our huge grand opening sale (prizes include test pressings, autographed shit, gift certificates, etc).

Check us out over at www.nerdalertrecords.com!

I have quite a few friends who will be interested in this. Good luck with your business venture and hopefully CAG will help lead you to success.

[quote name='Eviltude']I have quite a few friends who will be interested in this. Good luck with your business venture and hopefully CAG will help lead you to success.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you! :)

I chucked my Vinyl a long time ago, but I salute you sir for keeping the dream alive!

Alert me when you open "8-TracksNShit.com"!

I don't know why I didn't think of a CAG discount right away, LOL. It wouldn't be CAG if they didn't ask for a discount. Which is why I love this place! :)

How about if you mention CAG in the message spot when submitting an order, I will throw in - in addition to the free 7" - a free strategy guide or video game from the pile collecting dust on my shelf. Figure, if its gonna be for CAG, it should be game-related, right? ;)

I'd love to offer up even more, but we are about as D.I.Y. as you get, no financial backer, no huge bank loan, none of that fancy shit. Just sweat and debt. :)

I don't really collect vinyl, but I know plenty of people who are going to love this. I'll pass the word along and wish you the best of luck - the retail business for music is semi-bleak these days, but the industry can always use more people who are actually fans of what they're doing.

Very cool idea.

Thanks for the words of support and the mentioning of peeps near our area! :) I probably don't know them as I didn't grow up here, but my wife might.

And good ole Lynnhood. ;)

What I really dont get is why the hell would someone want some big 'ol thing when they could just do download a very small file....for free. Or if they wanted a hard copy, buy a more compact and less accident prone and better in quality CD. But then again I'm not old so thats why I might not understand. :roll:

Good luck though.

[quote name='KillJoi99']What I really dont get is why the hell would someone want some big 'ol thing when they could just do download a very small file....for free. Or if they wanted a hard copy, buy a more compact and less accident prone and better in quality CD. But then again I'm not old so thats why I might not understand. :roll:

Good luck though.[/QUOTE]

Actually, vinyls typically have better sound quality. But as you mentioned, you're not that old so I guess that's why you don't understand.

Good luck to your venture, it's always good to see places like this pop up. I hope things go well!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Actually, vinyls typically have better sound quality. But as you mentioned, you're not that old so I guess that's why you don't understand.[/quote]

Interesting. I was always under the impression that vinyl was something that only DJ's used for cutting and scratching.

That's why I was confused when I opened the link and saw weezer - after all what self-respecting DJ would put up WEEZER on the ones and twos.

OP - is there a reason you didn't put up any techno vinyl with rising house beat action?

Either way - good luck OP - I hope your dream is a success!!!

[quote name='wannabepunktony']Thanks for the words of support and the mentioning of peeps near our area! :) I probably don't know them as I didn't grow up here, but my wife might.

And good ole Lynnhood. ;)[/quote]

Don't forget awful Bothell.:)

[quote name='camoor']Interesting. I was always under the impression that vinyl was something that only DJ's used for cutting and scratching.[/QUOTE]

Go to any audiophile forum. They loves the vinyls, especially for analog recordings. Modern recordings/masterings tend to be heavily compressed and generally awful. Vinyl's inherent limitations makes it impossible to apply the same level of digital compression, meaning a different, more dynamic master is typically cut. Compare the vinyl of Stadium Arcadium to the CD to hear exactly what I am talking about.

What's so great about vinyl, anyways? Is it just the whole "omg different colors, I want them all!" collection aspect of it? Or is the sound actually superior to CD's?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What's so great about vinyl, anyways? Is it just the whole "omg different colors, I want them all!" collection aspect of it? Or is the sound actually superior to CD's?[/QUOTE]

Sound quality is better than a CD's.

For me, it's the collecting part of it though. You just get more out of a vinyl than a CD.

I've got a few promo Tooth And Nail and Victory Records vinyls if you're accepting donations. They're just taking up space here. :)

[quote name='JJSP']I've got a few promo Tooth And Nail and Victory Records vinyls if you're accepting donations. They're just taking up space here. :)[/quote]I CAN'T IMAGINE somebody not wanting some Victory Records releases!

Thanks to everyone who offered up a nice word or mentioned passing the word along! :)

[quote name='camoor']OP - is there a reason you didn't put up any techno vinyl with rising house beat action?[/QUOTE]

We don't have any techno/house stuff because we don't know a damn thing about it! ;) I have no idea who to buy, who sells, etc. and so forth. I think sometime down the line we'll look into genres outside of our own knowledge base, but if you've got any recommendations, please send them my way. We want to eventually carry a little of everything!

[quote name='Slate']Do you have any singles or albums by the Australian band Rabbit?

Here is their Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_(band)

I'm looking for their first album, "Rabbit", And 3 of their singles. Their "Lady La Di Da" Single, Their "Running Bear" Single and their "Let Me" Single.[/QUOTE]

The only distro we work with that carries a ton of import stuff doesn't have anything in-stock at the moment. Are these records that have been reissued recently, because we only deal in new vinyl, so if its something we'd have to pick up used, we're not going to be of any help. :) If it can be found new, I'll keep my eyes open and PM you if something comes up! :)

And I guess to add that why buy vinyl, it feels more tangible and less of a throw away product than a CD. CDs are so cheap to make the record labels spend far more on advertising a piece of shit than they do actually investing in musicians worth a damn and albums that don't have half naked women on them/singing on them. When you have a record, it just feels like a lot more time and effort went into making it than a CD, and now that so many come with MP3 coupons or a copy of the CD - and are generally cheaper than a CD - its a win, win.

But then again, if a person doesn't care about the tangibility of their music, well, its not going to make a difference how the music comes. :)

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the picture issue! :)

[quote name='JJSP']I've got a few promo Tooth And Nail and Victory Records vinyls if you're accepting donations. They're just taking up space here. :)[/QUOTE]

Sure - shoot me a PM! We are always looking for things to sneak bonuses into our customers' packages! :)

[quote name='wannabepunktony']We are always looking to sneak into our customers' packages! :)[/quote]

Misquote of the year! I win!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']How much is a record player, and where do I buy one?[/quote]

I grabbed one for 20 bucks at a Value Village. Just got to make sure the needle is in good working order.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']How much is a record player, and where do I buy one?[/QUOTE]

Ask your family as there seems to always be a family member who is looking to unload one. You're more than likely gonna have to do some simple repairs (replace the belt and/or replace the needle cartridge). Pick up some cheap box speakers (you'll be replacing them as soon as you build your collection). Also, if you don't have a receiver, you're gonna need to pick one up as well.

As for why buy vinyl? The sound is warmer and vinyl as a format gives the music a personalty. I can buy two copies of an identical record and come away with different impressions. And like wannabepunktony said, its a hell of a lot more fun collecting vinyl over cds

Thanks guys - I look forward to it! If you are looking for something we don't have in-stock, shoot me a PM here or drop us a line through the contact form on the site and we'll see if we can get it for you! :)

[quote name='wannabepunktony']Last week, my wife and I opened the e-doors to our new vinyl-only record store, Nerd Alert Records. We specialize only in vinyl, no CDs at all (unless they come packed with the vinyl of course) and we carry 99% new records. We have shit from different genres (hip-hop, punk, metal, indie, alternative, emo, ska, whatever) as well as many new releases (Radiohead - Best Of, Weezer - Red Album, Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons...) and color variants of albums exclusive to our store!

We offer $3.50 flat-rate U.S. shipping, every order gets a free 7" record from our box o' random 7"s (while supplies last), and every record purchased until June 26th is good for one raffle ticket in our huge grand opening sale (prizes include test pressings, autographed shit, gift certificates, etc).

Check us out over at www.nerdalertrecords.com![/QUOTE]

Hey that sounds great man! I wish you both the best of luck!!!

I would be interested in purchasing records from Bone Thugs -N- Harmony specifically, so if you ever stock anything from them... feel free to PM me.

bread's done
Back