I just ordered a DS

sgs89

CAGiversary!
So, I took advantage of the WalMart deal for a DS + Super Mario 64 for $129 (with shipping and tax, a total of $148).

Now that I jumped into the handheld arena (I never owned a GB), I was wondering what you guys would recommend that I pick up. For example, should I get:

* Screen cover?
* Headphones? (Does the DS come with headphones? Do you need them if you are going to play on the plane, etc?)
* Any other accessories? Carrying case?

Also, what games do you recommend getting? I like platformers, but am not adverse to trying other genres....

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with a protector. When treated correctly, the screen will only get minimal scratching, viewable only under the correct light when system is off.

Aside from that, I recommend Kirby Canvas Curse, Pac N Roll, and Nintendogs. 3 games that make the DS system, IMO.

Meteos, Feel the Magic and WarioWare are also worth a play. Enjoy your DS!

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I wouldn't bother with a protector. When treated correctly, the screen will only get minimal scratching, viewable only under the correct light when system is off.

Aside from that, I recommend Kirby Canvas Curse, Pac N Roll, and Nintendogs. 3 games that make the DS system, IMO.

Meteos, Feel the Magic and WarioWare are also worth a play. Enjoy your DS![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good information.

Any input on the headphones question? Do they sell special headphones for the DS to play in public places or is it compatible with standard phones?

You can use any old headphones you want that have the smaller plug. Look the the front bottom of your DS, there's the headphone port for an idea of what fits. (The small hole on the right is the headphone port)

Advance Wars Dual Strike is great also. Standared headphones work great. I just use my headphones that came with my Zen Micro MP3 player.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I recommend the Hori screen protectors. Well worth the $$$. I have them on both my DS and PSP.[/QUOTE]

I agree. My first DS had a few scratches after normal use, so on my second I bought a hori screen protector and they are awesome. I cant even tell its on the screen. Play-asia has them for the best price I could find.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-70-ewm.html

I plan on pick up some Hori screen protectors today.:)

For games I recommend Nintendogs, WarioWare Touched!, and Kirby Canvus Curse, three great games!

For headphones, I use whatever headphones I have lying around. They work fine.

Judging by the CAGers here, it seems that screen protection is a matter of personal preference. I don't really need them, but it's really up to you.

kirby is a great ds game... since you dont have any gba games either you should pick up fire emblem , mteroids, mario and luigi, castlevanias, golden sun........ i could go on and on

Does anyone know if Electroplankton is confirmed for US release yet? This will seriously affect my decision to buy a DS or not.

According to Nintendo Power it should be hitting US shores. Obviously not the best source, but the one that I could easily find in under 30 seconds :)

[quote name='sgx']Does anyone know if Electroplankton is confirmed for US release yet? This will seriously affect my decision to buy a DS or not.[/QUOTE]

Even if it doesn't see a release, you could import. I don't think it's very text heavy. :lol:

I wholeheartedly recommend Kirby, Meteos, Nintendogs and Advance Wars: DS.

Nintendogs and Advance Wars are my favorite DS games at the moment.

Buy Zelda: Minish Cap and Castlevania: Aria of Dissonance.

They aren't DS games, but they are the two best portable games ever.

[quote name='Tromack']Buy Zelda: Minish Cap and Castlevania: Aria of Dissonance.

They aren't DS games, but they are the two best portable games ever.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you mean Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow? I hear it's better than Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: DS is the sequel of Aria of Sorrow.

I have the Hori protectors, which work really well so far. It comes with a screen cloth too. I also have the $10 ALS Industries carrying case (it's small, got a little rubber handle on top), and I've really liked it. My only complaint about the case is that the cartridges are against the DS, which may scratch it. But seeing how my friend treats his DS, it seems like the DS's don't sratch too easily, at least on the outside. But it holds everything necessary (AC adapter, headphones, cartridges, whatever) very compactly; I'm very satisfied with it. I have an ALS Industries GBA carrying case which has been good to me too. I got both the screen protectors and carrying case at EB B&M.

Here's the link to the carrying case I'm talking about:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246409.asp

I just bought a DS today and I've noticed that one of the pixels on my bottom screen looks messed up, like it's bluish in control. It's not a huge thing, but I keep finding myself staring at it. Anyone else had this issue before?

I did buy the insurance (which I normally never do on things since I take good care of my stuff) so I'm assuming I could take it back if I wanted.

Electroplankton shoiuld hit US shores, but if not it has virtually no text, and is as import friendly as they come.

Ouendan and Daigasso, on the other hand...
;-;

bread's done
Back