I just spent $14 on a worthless CD - Now I'm going to have to steal it

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just bought A Static Lullaby's new disc "Faso Latido" and tried to load it into iTunes and I am not allowed. There is a readme file on the disc that explains that the only way to listen to the CD on my computer is through Windows Media 9. WTF is this bullshit? I rarely buy CDs but I enjoyed the debut from ASL so much that I thought I'd throw some money their way for their new CD. I support bands I like but I'm now done with them. They can kiss my ass. I'll be downloading this CD now and returning the CD to the store tomorrow. I can't believe this. I paid $14 for a CD and I should be able to put it on my iPod and listen to it. This is BULLSHIT and I'm PISSED.

haha do they really think this will do anything other than piss off people that ACTULLY BUY the cd?

you cant stop piracy like this, pirates arnt buying the stupid cd.

Shift key should work. If that doesn't work, borrow a friend's Mac. Or use linux. Be sure to write the Publisher. It's not really the band's fault, it's their label's fault. Stupid men in stupid suits. Actually, write the band too. That way they know what's going on and you probably won't buy their next album because of the this.

[quote name='javeryh']I just bought A Static Lullaby's new disc "Faso Latido" and tried to load it into iTunes and I am not allowed. There is a readme file on the disc that explains that the only way to listen to the CD on my computer is through Windows Media 9. WTF is this bullshit? I rarely buy CDs but I enjoyed the debut from ASL so much that I thought I'd throw some money their way for their new CD. I support bands I like but I'm now done with them. They can kiss my ass. I'll be downloading this CD now and returning the CD to the store tomorrow. I can't believe this. I paid $14 for a CD and I should be able to put it on my iPod and listen to it. This is BULLSHIT and I'm PISSED.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - the only CD I'll buy is a used one for $2 off of half.com

I'll NEVER support the RIAA, internet radio rules!!!

Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard of. I like to support bands (good ones) that still release music, but if they ever pulled that on me I would write them, return the cd, and download it just to spite them. This RIAA crap is going way too far. I can understand them being pissed about people downloading it, but not being able to put it on itunes so you can play it on your ipod AFTER you bought it is going too far.

Let the band know you are not pleased, and if it continues you will no longer support them. I dont care who it is, this is not right.

Seriously, what are they thinking? I actually go out and pay full price for a CD because *gasp* I like the band and this is what I get? Dumbfucks. I think I am going to write the band and let them know about this - they aren't really popular and they could probably use every fan they could get. This type of shit should piss them off too...

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']You paid $14 for a CD? That's a rip-off right there.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know but I love their first one so I figured what the hell...

I know what you mean. I review CD's for a quasi-living. I usually listen to them on the computer and in my car, and I don't like to have to constantly carry around a CD that I have to review. Some won't let me rip it on to my computer, and this constantly irks me. One of the more recent ones I had to review would only work through a proprietary player on the CD. That one pissed the hell out of me, because the player was quite shitty.

[quote name='Tromack']I know what you mean. I review CD's for a quasi-living. I usually listen to them on the computer and in my car, and I don't like to have to constantly carry around a CD that I have to review. Some won't let me rip it on to my computer, and this constantly irks me. One of the more recent ones I had to review would only work through a proprietary player on the CD. That one pissed the hell out of me, because the player was quite shitty.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem I'm having right now... I just solved it though... ;)

[quote name='n2x0000']Have you tried holding down SHIFT when you insert the disc into your drive?[/QUOTE]

Its almost certainly too late. The modern 'copy protection' systems install DLL files onto your system (without asking for permission, essentially making them computer viruses, for all intents and purposes...) that prevent any future copying. Holding down shift only works if you do that EVERY time you insert the CD - once the DLLs are installed, its useless. The only possibility would be to search through Windows and delete any references to the virus - I mean copy protection - which would most likely be difficult because they specifically MAKE it difficult.

God, I hate the RIAA and big labels. What genius came up with the idea of a copy protection system so intrusive that honest customers are forced to turn pirate just to listen to the CD they legitimately bought?

Wow, suddenly that guy that was on The Screen Savers a little bit ago seems less like a pirate for fighting the RIAA.

[quote name='Drocket']Its almost certainly too late. The modern 'copy protection' systems install DLL files onto your system (without asking for permission, essentially making them computer viruses, for all intents and purposes...) that prevent any future copying. Holding down shift only works if you do that EVERY time you insert the CD - once the DLLs are installed, its useless. The only possibility would be to search through Windows and delete any references to the virus - I mean copy protection - which would most likely be difficult because they specifically MAKE it difficult.

God, I hate the RIAA and big labels. What genius came up with the idea of a copy protection system so intrusive that honest customers are forced to turn pirate just to listen to the CD they legitimately bought?[/QUOTE]

Well, I declined the EULA that popped up on the screen after inserting the disc so nothing was installed (to my knowledge). After reading their terms there was no way I was agreeing to them. I didn't even listen to it. Every other CD I've bought in the past is mine to do with what I please as far as listrening to it goes - this shouldn't be any different. I'm still really pissed and I'm writing the band a letter today...

oh i was just thinking... if you really want to support a band by buying their cd you need to either get it through them via their website (not a distro comany link) or at their shows. Thats how they recieve the most money, they get dick from cds sold in stores.

just to let you know, i looked at the back of their cd today while i was at work, and it definitely says something like "this cd may not work in all stereos. if you want to use this in your computer, you must agree to the terms of use. if you don't like it, you can fuck right off." based on that, i don't really think you'll be able to return it.

the major labels that do things like this know that they're going to piss off their customers by doing it, but apparently they don't care.

[quote name='thatstoobad']just to let you know, i looked at the back of their cd today while i was at work, and it definitely says something like "this cd may not work in all stereos. if you want to use this in your computer, you must agree to the terms of use. if you don't like it, you can fuck right off." based on that, i don't really think you'll be able to return it.

the major labels that do things like this know that they're going to piss off their customers by doing it, but apparently they don't care.[/QUOTE]

That little box on the back cover isn't nearly adequate enough from both a legal point of view and them not being douchebags point of view. How many CDs have you purchased where you read every square inch of the CD cover (front and back) before purchasing to determine if it will work at home? The answer is none because it is completely unreasonable to expect a consumer to do so. there should be a huge warning on the shrinkwrap - on the front of the CD - that says WARNING: THIS CD WILL NOT WORK IN X, Y, Z... Then they can say I was warned... until then they can lick my nutsack.

I cant believe that encoding crap...i got the same problem burning PC games, and DVD's, but thank the Powers for the internet, and the trial versions of bearshare(though ive been hearing of better places for filesharing)

[quote name='javeryh']That little box on the back cover isn't nearly adequate enough from both a legal point of view and them not being douchebags point of view. How many CDs have you purchased where you read every square inch of the CD cover (front and back) before purchasing to determine if it will work at home? The answer is none because it is completely unreasonable to expect a consumer to do so. there should be a huge warning on the shrinkwrap - on the front of the CD - that says WARNING: THIS CD WILL NOT WORK IN X, Y, Z... Then they can say I was warned... until then they can lick my nutsack.[/QUOTE]

I've seen several cds, such as the standard edition of the Velvet Revolver have a sticker on the shrink wrap that warns you.

No Not Contraband, It Cant Be...though i think it is ironic name and all...but other than that i was gonna buy that album...the only reason i buy cd's are for the clarity of music i dont get out of bearshare, thats why i dont have a single burned led zeppelin cd...this should be like an advanced warning thread where people post what cds they want to get, and someone tells them, whether or not it can be burned like

The New Steve Vai CD

Copy Protection Discussion Forum Check out this forum for info on copy protection disscussion. I really hate the idea of some of this protection crap. If I want to listen to something, I'll do it my way, not theirs. I don't care if I'm breakig the law by going around their copy protections.:evil: The RIAA can kiss my :booty:. Luckily most of the music I buy doesn't have this kind of crap. I like a lot of classical and game and movie soundtracks.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I know but I love their first one so I figured what the hell...[/QUOTE]

This CD was only $7.99 at Best Buy this week. Seeing as this site is devoted to cheapasses I'm surprised you didn't know that :)

[quote name='n2x0000']Have you tried holding down SHIFT when you insert the disc into your drive?[/QUOTE]

too late now. whatever software was there is probably already installed on the OP's computer.

Let that be a lesson to you kids - never use any RIAA CDs, since they may actually install trojans on your machine.

bread's done
Back