I just watched American Psycho and I am confused by the ending

cheapfrag

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just watched American Psycho for the first time this past weekend but I am confused by the ending. Maybe the sex and violence distracted me too much and I missed a major plot twist. He killed Paul Allen and tried to make it look like Paul Allen went to London unexpectedly. A private investigator was looking for Paul Allen and mentioned someone might have seen him in London, but I thought he dismissed that lead. Then at the end, when Patrick Bateman confessed to the lawyer, the lawyer said he had lunch with Paul Allen in London... so what's the deal... is Paul Allen dead or not? (also what about Paul Allen's apartment being sold, what's that about?) Thanks for any insight...

[quote name='cheapfrag']I just watched American Psych for the first time this past weekend but I am confused by the ending. Maybe the sex and violence distracted me too much and I missed a major plot twist. He killed Paul Allen and tried to make it look like Paul Allen went to London unexpectedly. A private investigator was looking for Paul Allen and mentioned someone might have seen him in London, but I thought he dismissed that lead. Then at the end, when Patrick Bateman confessed to the lawyer, the lawyer said he had lunch with Paul Allen in London... so what's the deal... is Paul Allen dead or not? (also what about Paul Allen's apartment being sold, what's that about?) Thanks for any insight...[/quote]

Given how we only view things through Bateman's perspective, the question you should ask youself is, "How much of what happened truly occurred?"

I lean more towards the fantasy resolution.

I believe the either the author of the book OR the director of the movie (not sure which) said that most of the story happened in his head.

It's left completely up for your own interpretation. Bateman is clearly losing it (or has already lost it) throughout the movie/book so he can't really be trusted. On the other hand no one else really knows who anyone is so it is plausible that the people who say they have seen and met with Paul Allen really haven't and have confused him for someone else.

I began thinking that it was just in his head, but it didn't seem like there was enough "evidence" shown in the movie to support that after 90 minutes of him commiting those acts. And what about the cop investigating Paul Allen's disappearence. (Of course, the cop did say that Marcus said that Patrick was with him and others on the night of Paul's disappearence.)

If you watch the movie closely, you'll notice that people are always calling each other by the wrong name. I believe Bateman is called by three different names in the film, which is a comment on how similar everyone in society is. They all have same expensive clothes, taste in restaurants, and drug habits, etc.

[quote name='chasemurata']Given how we only view things through Bateman's perspective, the question you should ask youself is, "How much of what happened truly occurred?"

I lean more towards the fantasy resolution.[/quote]

What do you mean? I thought cop cars naturally explode when hit with one bullet.

[quote name='camoor']What do you mean? I thought cop cars naturally explode when hit with one bullet.[/QUOTE]That's the first thing I think of when somebody mentions this movie. Didn't Bateman look at the gun right after it happened with a WTF look on his face too?

[quote name='TimPV3']That's the first thing I think of when somebody mentions this movie. Didn't Bateman look at the gun right after it happened with a WTF look on his face too?[/quote]

Yeah, he did. Man, I love this movie. I'm going to have to watch it again when I get a chance.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The entire story and American Psycho universe was all contained within an Autistic kids snowglobe.[/quote]

Especially in AP2 when Meg Griffin kills Patrick Bateman...

I'd say in his head. But just remember: Its Hip To Be Square!!

American_Psycho-1.3.jpg

American Pyscho was a movie I was going to see until I heard the title was American inside of it.

However when I did see it I was amazed of how this character reminds me of myself. Everything he does reminds me of myself.

I LUV THIS MOVIE:whee:

However it is not my favorite but is up there somewhere

The ending

These were all things he was thinking about when he bored and while he was doing everything that was normal about the day he failed to them. Like when he was going to kill his secretary but did not while avioding the fact he had human parts and blood all over the place.

Another thing is like in American Dad the Wife was imaging what Dad was going to do to her when he found out but it never really occured.

Again the same where the fat 40+ boy scout whow as hypo screwed up religious was going to shoot a woman
and imagined his freind was going to be proud of him.

It is called planning ahead and he along with his regular business was planning ahead to this but never got the chance to did.

Like I talk to my computer 2000 threw the red light on the walls in the living space.

There are two ways to take this

1) He's losing it but everything that happened was just his imagination running wild.
2) It's a satire of how everyone was so caught up on material possessions, social standing, ect.. that no one even cared/noticed what was happening.

[quote name='QiG']2) It's a satire of how everyone was so caught up on material possessions, social standing, ect.. that no one even cared/noticed what was happening.[/quote]

That was pretty much the whole point of it all anyhow

[quote name='cheapfrag']Thanks everyone... I feel better now. Is American Psycho 2 any good?[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, it wasn't even written as American Psycho 2, but as just some random made for video movie. In the later stages, they decided it could sucker in a few more dollars by slapping the American Psycho tag on it and throwing in a few lines at about the first film's characters.

I got a lot of angry returns on that one when I worked in a video store when that one came out.

[quote name='strummerbs']If I recall correctly, it wasn't even written as American Psycho 2, but as just some random made for video movie. In the later stages, they decided it could sucker in a few more dollars by slapping the American Psycho tag on it and throwing in a few lines at about the first film's characters.

I got a lot of angry returns on that one when I worked in a video store when that one came out.[/quote]

Probably not the best people to piss off :lol:

bread's done
Back