I know. This thread has been created 100 times before. Please humor me.

c

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Reggie at the Press Conference: "And the Gameboy Micro will be able to play all of your Gameboy Advance games!"

Am I the only one who noticed the 'advance' thrown in there? It seems as though everyone took that to mean that it could play all existing Gameboy games, but technically, that may not be true.

The point is, I want to buy a new Gameboy, but would rather get a Micro instead of an SP if it can play all GB games. So, does anyone have substantial evidence that it can play them all, not just GBA games? A quote from Howard Lincoln would be perfect, please. Please is a weird word.

Edit ((( I didn't want to search through tons of bickering about the Micro to get my answer, so I just made this thread to avoid all that. Please refrain from OMFG THIS THREAD EXISTS HERE HERE HERE AND HERE kthx. But feel free to bicker about the Micro here if you want to, as long as I get an answer eventually

Don't know, but it would make sense that it only plays GBA games because it's so small. Why do you want that thing anyway? The screen is too little and it looks awkward to hold.

The Gameboy Advance SP is already small enough. Fits in your pocket just like a wallet. I really dont think making the GB any smaller is a good move. Its going to be like an mp3 player's screen. Eeek...

Your call. Compatibility should be listed on the GBMicro box when it is released, I hope...

I still love my little blue SP though. Thank heaven for rechargeable lithium batteries. :)

[quote name='BIG5']Don't know, but it would make sense that it only plays GBA games because it's so small. Why do you want that thing anyway? The screen is too little and it looks awkward to hold.[/QUOTE]
I like the design of the SP, but for some reason, after playing it for about an hour, my hands get really worn out. I don't know why, but I think it's something about the D-Pad. Does this happen to anyone else? Plus, all the portable systems out right now are a bit too big for my pockets, because my pockets are usually very full already with keys / wallet / etc. The Micro's size makes it so that there's no excuse to not have it with me everywhere I go, whereas even with the SP, I have a hard time sacrificing precious pocket space for it, since it's like carrying around another wallet.

Oh, and I do plan on getting a DS, but it can't play older Gameboy games... So I'd like to get a DS and a Micro, ifandonlyif the Micro can play the games that the DS can't. It would be quite a sexy combination. I'm going to look into getting some kind of like pouch with a shoulder strap or something for my future DS, since it is muchos too big for my pocketos.

From what I understand, the Micro only plays GBA games. It is strictly a 3.3v device. This means it is not compatible with GB games, GBC games, or the GBA eReader (the same list of things the DS in not compatible with).

Personal Opinion: It's too small. The resolution may be the same, but the screen is smaller. Get either an SP and protect your screen or pick up an original GBA and an AfterBurner for lighting. Or if you really want a good picture and the full GB - GBA library, pick up a GameBoy Player. The Micro isn't aimed at the gamers. It's a small form factor with reduced functionality. The only way I'll pick one up is if I win one in a contest.

[quote name='jclast']From what I understand, the Micro only plays GBA games. It is strictly a 3.3v device. This means it is not compatible with GB games, GBC games, or the GBA eReader (the same list of things the DS in not compatible with).[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, looks like I may be getting an SP, then. Ah well, could be worse. Thanks for the answer.

From what I gathered too, it will only play GBA games. Quack thinks he knows everything and likes making news stories up, but so far it seems to only play GBA games. It makes sense because NIntendo would have to add a thingy to make it play past games and frankly I don't think they have the room.

Yep, so once again Quack is wrong and tried being a dumbass about it.

In a list of features one is.....

"Software: the Game Boy Advance has nearly 700 titles available, all of which will be playable on the Game Boy Micro."

The Nintendo site also uses the 700 number so if it could play past GB games then it would say over 1,800 or something.

We probably should make it a sticky BTW.

Where did they say it was 3.3v like the DS? Is there a link?

And what's with the flameboy up here? Loosen up man, you'll get a stroke.

Well IGN reported that the Micro would play GB/C games with this quote:

May 17, 2005 - The Game Boy is reborn once again, as Nintendo today announced the Game Boy Micro, a stylish (and surprisingly small) retooling of the Game Boy Advance. Measuring 4 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 0.7 inches deep; and weighing just 2.8 ounces, the silver-clad Micro is probably the slickest -- or at the very least, most portable -- Game Boy hardware yet. Better yet, it will play all the GBA and Game Boy games currently handled by the GBA SP.

Since the SP can handle GB/C games, according to this article, the Micro will as well.

My advice would be to wait until the Micro actually launches. If it doesn't play the older GB games, then buy the SP (which should drop in price). If it does, buy the Micro.

I'm not a fanboy I critize Nintendo all the time. You are just a dumbfuck and go around acting like you are god and know everything, even if you are right now one would know becaus e I have seen numberous times in which you bend what people say or just plain make shit up to get your way.

[quote name='crystalklear64']The Gameboy Advance SP is already small enough. Fits in your pocket just like a wallet. I really dont think making the GB any smaller is a good move. Its going to be like an mp3 player's screen. Eeek...[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I just realised that the Micro seems to be the size of the remote for my iRiver MP3/CD player! If the screen sizes are even remotely close, I don't see the point to playing on it...

I don't recall where I read the information I presented at first. If this article is correct, the Micro will play everything the GBA will.

I apologize if I negatively impacted any future purchasing decisions.

[quote name='David85']I'm not a fanboy I critize Nintendo all the time. You are just a dumbfuck and go around acting like you are god and know everything, even if you are right now one would know becaus e I have seen numberous times in which you bend what people say or just plain make shit up to get your way.[/QUOTE]
Haha, whew, calm down man, he said "flameboy", not "fanboy".

And now for the exact opposite:
[quote name='jclast']I apologize if I negatively impacted any future purchasing decisions.[/QUOTE]
No apology necessary, my good man. You just statin' da facts.

And finally,
[quote name='lebowsky']My advice would be to wait until the Micro actually launches. If it doesn't play the older GB games, then buy the SP (which should drop in price). If it does, buy the Micro.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm thinking. I'll just get a DS now and hold off on the Gameboy until the Micro's closer to being released and the design is totally finalized. I didn't even think about how the SP would likely be cheaper then, too. Good advice; thanks.

[quote name='captaincold']It seems that the Micro is competing with the Cell-Phone games not the real portable gaming systems.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense somehow.

this reminds me of an SNL skit where Pierce Brosman is working for this metro fashion shop and Will Ferrel rolls in on a scooter and checks his email on his two way ring cell phone...

[quote name='integralsmatic']this reminds me of an SNL skit where Pierce Brosman is working for this metro fashion shop and Will Ferrel rolls in on a scooter and checks his email on his two way ring cell phone...[/QUOTE]
i don't know of that skit, but, wow, they should make a movie together right now.

no chemistry at all. it would be the most hilariously awkward movie ever. pierce could get upset with will and not talk to him for half of the movie during the longest car-ride in film history.

"the same or more of a ds"

WTF?!

It won't cost the same, and why would it cost more?/ Nintendo already said it would be less that a DS and more than a GBA SP.

[quote name='epobirs']Nintendo's wording appears to favor full backward compatibility.
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=39687422-43a1-4dcd-829c-a6ac885143e9&page=newsmain

You'll likely see less battery life using GBC carts but such is life and technology.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I wanted to see.
It weighs an astonishing 2.8 ounces, yet Game Boy Micro has the same processing power and plays the same games as Game Boy Advance SP models.
Looks like I'll hold off on buying a new Gameboy until Fall for certain now, just in case the Micro really can play all GB games. Thanks for the info.

bread's done
Back