I learned my lesson last 2 generations, no more Greatest Hits.

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
Ever since I could only pick up PSone Greatest Hits games and not the black labels, I vowed for PS2 never to get a GH game for the "perfect collection." Once again I got lazy and missed some games while they were black label and $20, games like MGS2 Sons of Liberty and GTA III. I refuse to buy used games BTW.

On GBA I missed Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and now have to settle for a Players Choice version. With the DS, I have 12 games now. Once Wii hits, I will never be lazy and rush out the moment a game price drops. Anyone else "starting over" again so to speak?

You know, there is still a used market at Gamestop and this cool new invention called ebay where you can fill your sphincter with delightful black label, legitimate copies of games.

[quote name='bmulligan']You know, there is still a used market at Gamestop and this cool new invention called ebay where you can fill your sphincter with delightful black label, legitimate copies of games.[/quote]

He said he doesn't like buying used.

[quote name='jakescape53']Not buying used i think is almost blashphemy here. I can hardly remember the last time i bought a new game full price.[/quote]
Why is it blasphemy? I've only been here for a month, and if anything, it is a blasphemy buying USED GAMES! If CAG taught me anything in my short stay here, it is that people can buy brand new games for CHEAP, and used games are for the sucker. I see all these folks on message boards thinking they got awesome deals like Advance Wars DS for $25 or picking up Brain Age for $15 used when thanks to CC I got Brain Age for free with my DSL and I got AW DS for $8.96 at CC.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Why is it blasphemy? I've only been here for a month, and if anything, it is a blasphemy buying USED GAMES! If CAG taught me anything in my short stay here, it is that people can buy brand new games for CHEAP, and used games are for the sucker. I see all these folks on message boards thinking they got awesome deals like Advance Wars DS for $25 or picking up Brain Age for $15 used when thanks to CC I got Brain Age for free with my DSL and I got AW DS for $8.96 at CC.[/quote]

:roll:

[quote name='icecubedx5']Why is it blasphemy? I've only been here for a month, and if anything, it is a blasphemy buying USED GAMES! If CAG taught me anything in my short stay here, it is that people can buy brand new games for CHEAP, and used games are for the sucker. I see all these folks on message boards thinking they got awesome deals like Advance Wars DS for $25 or picking up Brain Age for $15 used when thanks to CC I got Brain Age for free with my DSL and I got AW DS for $8.96 at CC.[/QUOTE]

You know what, you're totally right! I felt like such an ass buying a used copy of Phoenix Wright back when it was OOP for $25, and the look on my face was priceless when I grabbed Phantasy Star Collection, Boktai, and Mega Man Zero 2 at the last Gamestop/EB B2G1 sale for a hair over 20 bucks.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Ever since I could only pick up PSone Greatest Hits games and not the black labels, I vowed for PS2 never to get a GH game for the "perfect collection." Once again I got lazy and missed some games while they were black label and $20, games like MGS2 Sons of Liberty and GTA III. I refuse to buy used games BTW.

On GBA I missed Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and now have to settle for a Players Choice version. With the DS, I have 12 games now. Once Wii hits, I will never be lazy and rush out the moment a game price drops. Anyone else "starting over" again so to speak?[/quote]

fuck greatist hits...i like getting the best of platinum hits for $10. really though that whole OMG the package is silver or there is a yellow PC bar totally escapes me.

[quote name='jakescape53']Not buying used i think is almost blashphemy here. I can hardly remember the last time i bought a new game full price.[/QUOTE]
I have a thing about buying used myself.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Ever since I could only pick up PSone Greatest Hits games and not the black labels, I vowed for PS2 never to get a GH game for the "perfect collection." Once again I got lazy and missed some games while they were black label and $20, games like MGS2 Sons of Liberty and GTA III. I refuse to buy used games BTW.

On GBA I missed Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and now have to settle for a Players Choice version. With the DS, I have 12 games now. Once Wii hits, I will never be lazy and rush out the moment a game price drops. Anyone else "starting over" again so to speak?[/quote]
I can relate. I have one greatest hit in my entire collection and that is XENOSAGA. Original , black label games hold more value then their reprint counterparts.My entire 300 game collection consists of all black label games. I also sell original black label games in my store on ebay. Look me up on my ebay store: BLACK-LABEL-GAMES. Cool huh.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Why is it blasphemy? I've only been here for a month, and if anything, it is a blasphemy buying USED GAMES! If CAG taught me anything in my short stay here, it is that people can buy brand new games for CHEAP, and used games are for the sucker. I see all these folks on message boards thinking they got awesome deals like Advance Wars DS for $25 or picking up Brain Age for $15 used when thanks to CC I got Brain Age for free with my DSL and I got AW DS for $8.96 at CC.[/quote]

You're right on the money! I have a collection of nearly 400 games for PS1, PS2 and XBox. Of those I think only a half dozen were bought used, all before I knew better and joined CAG. Since then, ALL my games are bought new for less than the overpriced, scratched up junk that is sold at the used game stores, like GameStop and EB Games. A person just has to be a little patient for the deals to come around, that's all.

P.S. I thought I should add that I paid less than 20 bucks for most all of my games brand new and of all the games in my collection only 11 are GH and they are all PS1 games. All are black label for the PS2 and 2 are PH for the XBox.

[quote name='icecubedx5']used games are for the sucker. I see all these folks on message boards [/QUOTE]

kids ..... these days.

congratulations on insulting many of the regulars here.

btw, you flunked your CAG in training status.

If you ask to see the discs then there should be no problem w/ used. Unless you keep them sealed. The only new games I have bought over the last year were Gun (because I had to have it), Half-Life 2 (XB, CC $8.95), Far Cry (XB, CC $8.95), and Sonic Mega Collection/Animal Crossing (GC, Walmart Gft crd). Out of 45 games that I have bought during that time frame. I only have 3 GH/PC/PH (Fable, Sonic, Animal Crossing). There are a few PS1 games that I have that are GH, but I have them to play and are in mint cond. and also swap them out w/ non GH's if I find them.

I have bought most (90%?) of my 1200 game collection used and they have been in mint condition for far less than new copies. If you cannot stomach buying used games, congratulations, you are officially Obsessive Compulsive.

As far as Used goes I got my PS2 second-hand from another student at school. It came with a Sony mem card, 3 used games, a broken Logitech headset, the Sony network adapter, a 3rd party controller, and a 1st party PS1 dual-shock for a grand total of $80.

I then took the 3 used games, brought them down to EB during their "trade 4, get GT4 free" deal, and used my other fodder used PS2 title (I picked it up for 50 cents) to get GT4. I then sold it for $40 to another student (MSRP!), sold the Logitech headset for $10 to someone who felt he could fix it up, and then got $20 for the two controllers since I didn't need them.

So for a great-condition PS2, network adapter, and mem card I spent a whopping $10.

Used, indeed.

Do you buy the black label games when their GH counterparts have extra stuff? Games such as:

DMC 3 SE
DBZ Budokai 3
Midnight Club 3 Dub Remix
Silent Hill 2

I can understand why someone would want to avoid PS1 Greatest Hits, since they sport that hideous neon green stripe, but I don't understand why some collectors find the PS2 Greatest Hits branding so distasteful. Is the reason that these collectors insist on having original prints? Or is the problem a lack of uniformity between the red and black labels?

[quote name='11440']I can understand why someone would want to avoid PS1 Greatest Hits, since they sport that hideous neon green stripe, but I don't understand why some collectors find the PS2 Greatest Hits branding so distasteful. Is the reason that these collectors insist on having original prints? Or is the problem a lack of uniformity between the red and black labels?[/quote]

Oh no, a green stripe! That totally ruins the fun of playing the game. Out of the couple hundreds PS1 games I own, I have absolutely no idea how many are Greatest Hits nor do I care. I don't even notice that shit unless I go to trade them, then I have to mention it because of anal traders. I actually never even noticed the different until I started frequenting video game collector sites like this one. I just knew that Greatest Hits = $20 retail, which means $10-15 on sale, which is good.

[quote name='eau']Do you buy the black label games when their GH counterparts have extra stuff? Games such as:

DMC 3 SE
DBZ Budokai 3
Silent Hill 2[/quote]

yes, if there is an upgraded version exclusively as a GH/PH game, i will get that version

[quote name='jakescape53']Not buying used i think is almost blashphemy here. I can hardly remember the last time i bought a new game full price.[/QUOTE]

The only reason why I buy used now is because of the nice EB/GS return policy. I do end up keeping the game if I really like it and have saved games on it but I feel "safer" buying used because I can always return it if I don't like it.

[quote name='gaelan']fuck greatist hits...i like getting the best of platinum hits for $10. really though that whole OMG the package is silver or there is a yellow PC bar totally escapes me.[/quote]

Amen! I've never understood it all. I will say that if you're buying it to just sit there and look pretty, ok, what. But if you plan on acutally playing it? Who cares?

But to the OP, good fucking luck if you ever want to find Marvel Vs Capcom 2 brand new...haha

Alot of the time buying new games is for suckers. In most cases you can get a used copy in great condition for way cheaper. I got an Xbox with Fable all for the price of $80. Used is life.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Amen! I've never understood it all. I will say that if you're buying it to just sit there and look pretty, ok, what. But if you plan on acutally playing it? Who cares?

But to the OP, good fucking luck if you ever want to find Marvel Vs Capcom 2 brand new...haha[/quote]

if it were not for used games, right now i wouldn't own donkey konga 1 + 2 NTSC/JP, 2 bongos and an action replay for $80 USD all in MINT condition because the guy i bought it from was a collector, also for the PC titles, i got 4 games for $65 CAD during the TRU B1G1F which IMO is an awesome deal, considering its some of the best for the gc (LoZ:FSA, PM:TTYD, SFA, Pikmin 2)

[quote name='Mospeada_21']kids ..... these days.

congratulations on insulting many of the regulars here.

btw, you flunked your CAG in training status.[/quote]

I don't think its fair for you to announce to entire CAG that I was trying to insult them when I wasn't. The very nature of your comment was very condescending and directed towards a particular person, me, while mine wasn't directed to anyone. And besides, I said that not to look down upon those who buy used games, but instead praise CAG because I used to think a "deal" on a new game was waiting for it to drop to GH. CAG taught me otherwise.

[quote name='furyk']Well publishers should make games that most of us want to buy new then.[/quote]
Preorder bonuses come to mind...

I dont like having all green xbox cases and then the one silver that i have (greg hastings paintball, lol). If a games cheap though I dont really give a shit. If im buying used and I have a choice though I always choose the non-platinum etc. though.

[quote name='eau']Do you buy the black label games when their GH counterparts have extra stuff? Games such as:

DMC 3 SE
DBZ Budokai 3
Silent Hill 2[/quote]

Also Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. The greatest hits version is so vastly superior to the original VF 4 it isn't even funny.

Here's an idea.. buy a game, and then play it or something.

If you'd pass up the chance to play something like.. say.. Castlevania: SOTN on PS1 due to the fact that it has "greatest hits" on the side of it, then you're obsessive compulsive. I'm willing to bet that if someone offered you a used Panzer Dragoon Saga for $20 in mint condition (but used) that you wouldn't refuse it.

Also, as mentioned above, some GH are upgrades of their predecessors (like Devil May Cry 3 SE or Virtua Fighter 4 Evo).

While I think the whole game collecting gig takes the fun out of gaming sometimes (and being someone who once considered himself as such), I really think that unless you have a very large source of income.. you are going to find it extremely difficult to find every game that you desire in brand new shrinkwrap from a first release. That's called naivity and inexperience, at least in terms of being a hobbyist.

If you "rush out" so to speak to purchase every game that is released, you'll soon find yourself with very little in return for the loss of a decent sum of money. It's just poor financial management IMO, but that's your personal preference. The early adopters of the product are the ones who purchase enough copies for those of us who would prefer to pay $20. However, it sounds to me that the packaging is more important to you than the game within.. if that is so, then I pity you for missing out on the enjoyment you could have had for looking beyond green slime or a red stripe and using the software that you paid for.

I'm not personally attacking you.. it's just this is another one of those "I'm going to instigate a response by bitching about something because I lack any sense of self importance, so I am going to argue with people through message board posts."

Waste your money, time, and sanity.. fine with me. However, bashing people for being educated consumers and not respecting their personal preferences (while you waste server space proclaiming your preference) takes any validity that you had hoped to have with your original point in the first place.

Take my advice.. go spend $20 on God of War GH, and quit raising your blood pressure online. It won't be so bad, I promise.

I will never buy GH/PC if it has upgraded content, my collection has none whatsoever :)

I also cant stand used games, as I usually find out it came with a map or other accesory, and I dont know what the deal is, but why are used games in such crappy condition? Dont people treat there games well?

You could always take the red-tagged cover out and print up the original cover and replace it with that. My b/f wants to do that w/ his GH games.

[quote name='6669']You could always take the red-tagged cover out and print up the original cover and replace it with that. My b/f wants to do that w/ his GH games.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why it took 33 posts for someone to suggest this (unless I missed something). This helps for games like Shadow of the Colossus, which dropped to $20 and immediately became a GH. Of course, if you were able to snag a copy before they were replaced by the red label, that's fine, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way, so what can you do? If you're just looking for consistency when you store your games, it's a solid solution.

[quote name='Skylander7']Here's an idea.. buy a game, and then play it or something.

If you'd pass up the chance to play something like.. say.. Castlevania: SOTN on PS1 due to the fact that it has "greatest hits" on the side of it, then you're obsessive compulsive. I'm willing to bet that if someone offered you a used Panzer Dragoon Saga for $20 in mint condition (but used) that you wouldn't refuse it.

Also, as mentioned above, some GH are upgrades of their predecessors (like Devil May Cry 3 SE or Virtua Fighter 4 Evo).

While I think the whole game collecting gig takes the fun out of gaming sometimes (and being someone who once considered himself as such), I really think that unless you have a very large source of income.. you are going to find it extremely difficult to find every game that you desire in brand new shrinkwrap from a first release. That's called naivity and inexperience, at least in terms of being a hobbyist.

If you "rush out" so to speak to purchase every game that is released, you'll soon find yourself with very little in return for the loss of a decent sum of money. It's just poor financial management IMO, but that's your personal preference. The early adopters of the product are the ones who purchase enough copies for those of us who would prefer to pay $20. However, it sounds to me that the packaging is more important to you than the game within.. if that is so, then I pity you for missing out on the enjoyment you could have had for looking beyond green slime or a red stripe and using the software that you paid for.

I'm not personally attacking you.. it's just this is another one of those "I'm going to instigate a response by bitching about something because I lack any sense of self importance, so I am going to argue with people through message board posts."

Waste your money, time, and sanity.. fine with me. However, bashing people for being educated consumers and not respecting their personal preferences (while you waste server space proclaiming your preference) takes any validity that you had hoped to have with your original point in the first place.

Take my advice.. go spend $20 on God of War GH, and quit raising your blood pressure online. It won't be so bad, I promise.[/quote]

I completely agree with what your saying. But I can't help but wonder if your talking about me, the topic creator. If you go back and re-read my original post, all I state is that since getting PSone GH, I decided not to do that with PS2. But I failed in doing so and had to get some GH games because I was too lazy to get the black labels AS SOON as they dropped to $20. I didn't say I won't buy a game just because it is GH. I was saying that THIS GENERATION (PS3 and 360), I'm not going to be lazy and as soon as a game becomes GH, I will rush out and get the black label at $20. I wasn't saying that I'd buy every game at $50 just cuz its a black label, that is as you said, just stupid.

[quote name='icecubedx5']I don't think its fair for you to announce to entire CAG that I was trying to insult them when I wasn't. The very nature of your comment was very condescending and directed towards a particular person, me, while mine wasn't directed to anyone. And besides, I said that not to look down upon those who buy used games, but instead praise CAG because I used to think a "deal" on a new game was waiting for it to drop to GH. CAG taught me otherwise.[/quote]

well...you said used games are for suckers...and many CAGs buy used games...sounds like an insult to me

[quote name='Rictor']Oh no, a green stripe! That totally ruins the fun of playing the game. Out of the couple hundreds PS1 games I own, I have absolutely no idea how many are Greatest Hits nor do I care. I don't even notice that shit unless I go to trade them, then I have to mention it because of anal traders. I actually never even noticed the different until I started frequenting video game collector sites like this one. I just knew that Greatest Hits = $20 retail, which means $10-15 on sale, which is good.[/quote]

We have a winner :applause:

You guys are so dense. I always buy black label games. I make sure I get them for full price the day they come out so I'm sure they don't run out and I'm stuck with a PH/GH. When I get home I then throw the disc out and save the box. Sometimes I even sleep with the box to make sure nobody steals it. It's the only way if you are a true gamer...

Given a choice of black label version and GH for the same price, I would go for the black label one, except in cases where the GH is an enhanced version.

The way I've always done it is set a pricepoint for a game that I want to play. For example, I'm holding off on buying Condemned until I can pick it up for $25. I don't care if it's new or used, or what the label looks like. Whenever/wherever I see it at that price, I'll pick it up. After all, you play the disc, not the box :)

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the PC label it doesn't really bother me much seeing as how i still got the game for a good price.

DMC 3 SE
DBZ Budokai 3
Silent Hill 2[/QUOTE]

I'll only buy GH for the extra content. DMC3SE and SH2 are well worth it

I've been getting great deals on used games for quite some time. Sometimes I HAVE to buy a game new (like when no one wants to sell/trade theirs), but I haven't gotten a bad game yet from the places that I usually get my older games from. A few days ago, I got a mint, complete Klonoa for $15. :)

I don't see the big deal. Even though I only have about 7 PS1 games, I like the GH label....I like green. I like the PH layout too. It's not really ugly lookin IMO, it's just a label. But out of my XBOX colleection I only have about 3 PH games at most. I pretty much got everygame at the point that I wanted it.

[quote name='keithp']Nothing wrong with used...unless you're buying condoms!.. :D[/quote]

LOL - OMG thats messed up...

But yes used games are fine with me!

Well the reason it bothers people is because when looking at there collection, the GH/PC sticks out. Yes we do not play the boxes, or buy games just to admire it, but it matches the rest.

I read somewhere the reason the companys did the whole PC/GH thing is so we would rush out and pay full price in order to not get stuck with the ugly covers most of us have come to hate.

I like used games cause prices are "sometimes" low, but usually I see used games that are beat up and spit out and just $1 or $2 lower than a sealed mint one. If I can find it new or non-gh/pc I'll but it, otherwise Im stuck with a yukki used, picking off the "used" label, then putting the manual under about 10 books to straighten it out and then cleaning the disc before I even play the actual game. If I dont, I sometimes just forget I even have the game.

bread's done
Back