I like Fire Emblem, what else would I like?

Arch Sage Ron

CAG Veteran
I have Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, & Sacred Stones. I am aware of Advanced Wars & Shining Force.
I have a Playstation (the 1st) Gamecube, Wii, SNES, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS & GBA.

What games do you recommend to me? (please tell me what console/handheld the game(s) are for)

well, you can get the two Fire emblem games you are missing...the DS one is the weakest, but worth it for a Fire Emblem fan. the origianl GBA one is considered the best i think (out of the imported american ones at least)

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA), and i imagine Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the DS, although i havent played it.

My favorite SRPG's besides Fire Emblem have been the NIS games...La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea 1 and 2, and Phantom Brave (all PS2). NIS America has probably released other games like those since they came out, but those were my fav's when played my PS2.

Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis (GBA) is thought to be a great SRPG as well.

and Advance Wars is pretty awesome. you will feel at home after playing Fire Emblem. I suggest starting with one of the GBA ones or Dual Strike (DS).

anyway, good luck

[quote name='davkeats']... Phantom Brave (all PS2).[/quote]

This was recently released for Wii also.

Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis (GBA) is thought to be a great SRPG as well.

You might also try Ogre Battle (SNES) on the Virtual Console. Deep and interesting game, but quite complex and not always well explained.

One other game that came to mind is Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. I know you don't have the system, but it looks like an awesome game.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']You'd probably like Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1/PSP).[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, I can't second this choice enough for you! If you like Fire Emblem, get Final Fantasy Tactics, you will love it. Forget the GBA ones though, they are not even close to as good as the PS1 game.

Definitely get Chrono Trigger for the SNES or the remake for the DS. The remake is the same exact thing, except it's for the DS, of course. xP Also, the remake will be easier to find, and also cheaper. Also, since you like Fire Emblem, that means you probably like tactic RPGs. I would recommend any Final Fantasy Tactics, especially the ones for DS and GBA. Also, Jeanne D'Arc was a very good for the PSP. I know you don't have one currently, but that's just a suggestion for future purchases. xD

Also, Dragon Warrior games are very good. I've played 1-3, which I've enjoyed, and another for the DS. They've all been good games, and the amount of things you can do will always entertain you. From beating baddies in the basic storyline, gambling on monster battles for tons of moolah, to collecting medals from monsters, these games will entertain for several weeks, even to the most hardcore gamer.

And, here's MORE suggestions! >:D Final Fantasy 1-10 were all very good games--I am partial to 7 and 8, though. Nevertheless, they're all very good, involving stories that can easily take 30-40+ hours of gameplay each, especially if you get all the ultimate weapons, summons, etc.

As for the SNES, Earthbound, Mystic Quest, and, again, Chrono Trigger are all very good games. Also, one that's a little different, but still good, is Super Mario RPG.

For the PS1, this is where you'll get Final Fantasy VII and up. Also, many of the sooner ones can be purchased as remakes on the PS1, DS, etc. Also, Chrono Cross is a good game you should look at for this console. In fact, it got a 10/10 rating from Gamespot. It is a sort of sequel to Chrono Trigger, although I don't think it's quite as good. xP

Anyway, that's enough suggestions for now. All of these games, provided you get them all, could keep you busy for months, or even years. :D

Wow, an amazing turnout of sugestions! Something I forgot to mention was I am indeed a fan of Final Fantasy & their Tactic counterparts! Advanced Wars doesn't appeal to me so much simply because you can continuously shell out units if you have the cash. At least with FE & FF if a unit dies they are incapacitated at the least, making the game much more life-like & entertaining!

Thank You all for the suggestions, I will definately be checking the out!

what do you like about those games? They're Strategy Role Playing Games(SRPG's) so if you like the grid based strategy then you should look into these games

DS:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor-Highly recommended.
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Advance Wars Dual Strike & Advance Wars Day of Ruin
Disgaea DS- I'd recommend the PSP version over this one. it has the extras that the PSP version added, but lacks a lot of the audio/voicework and the graphics are a little worse. Still a good game though.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Age of Empires; Age of Kings & Age of Empires Age of Mythology
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga
Front Mission
Luminous Arc 1 & 2
Drone Tactics
Rondo of Swords
Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume
Civilization Revolution-I'd recommend the PC Series as well.
Worms Open Warfare 2
Shiren the Wanderer- roguelike, which means its a dungeon crawler with turn-based enemy encounters. I think you might like this style.
Izuna 1 & 2- also roguelikes. Izuna 2 has a tag team system which allows you to bring two characters into dungeons.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series-I'd recommend Shiren/Izuna over these.

GBA:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Advance Wars 1&2
Fire Emblem(first one released in US)
Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis
Yggdra Union
Rebelstar Tactical Command
Super Robot Taisen 1&2

PS1-I know it has decent number of SRPG's, but some of these games will be harder to get a hold of now.
Final Fantasy Tactics- This was remade for the PSP, f you ever get a PSP I'd recommend picking up this remake as well as all of the Nippon Ichi game remakes and Jeanne D'Arc.
Vandal Heats 1&2- this has a sequel coming out for the 360 I think.

Wii-
Phantom Brave- gridless strategy rpg. you play as a teen girl who can summon ghosts. you summon your allies by confining them to objects on the field. your allies can only stay on the field for a set number of turns after being summoned. it's quite a unique strategy experience.
Little King's Story- this game isn't a turn based strategy, but it's awesome and you manage a whole kingdom.
Sakura Taisen V-This is coming out this fall, it's a port of a PS2 game.
PSP
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
La Pucelle Ragnarok
Jeanne D'Arc
Field Commander
Yggdra Union

PS2-
Disgaea-the ports have more features
Disgaea 2- same as Disgaea 1
Phantom Brave-Same as the disgaea's
La Pucelle-the psp port's not out yet but it will have more features.
Makai Kingdom- No port, yet. This added vehicles and bases to the disgaea formula, and was gridless like phantom brave.
Soul Nomad-Tribute to the Tactics Ogre strategy games by Nippon Ichi, fairly different from the rest of Nippon Ichi's SRPG's.

PC- I'm not as familiar with PC games but there are a lot of turn-based strategy games for the PC. I've gotten a few of them like the:

Civilization series
Jagged Alliance
Disciples II
Galactic Civilzations series(especially II+ it's expansions)
Sins of a Solar Empire
King's Bounty
Heroes of Might & Magic V

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into gaming because of Fire Emblem. That said, you owe it to yourself to play the GBA Fire Emblem (first one released in English). I have played all the English ones and that is my favorite, if not my favorite video game overall.
Thank you for posting this thread! I will definitely be checking out the recommendations people are giving you.

PC- I'm not as familiar with PC games but there are a lot of turn-based strategy games for the PC. I've gotten a few of them like the:
The best turn-based squad game on the PC is the original X-Com, which has gone on sale on Steam a few times.

I thank people for the lists as well, since I could always use recommendations. I already have Disgaea on my PS2 (haven't gotten it yet).

Edit: even if this is an old thread.

bread's done
Back