I Lost My Job And I Need To Talk Thread great news find a job at IHOP

S

starmask2k3

well i lost my job of 4+ years would of been 5 in oct of this year

Last edited:
[quote name='Cracka']I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. Where did you work[/QUOTE]

a college

[quote name='Canadian_Man']You lost your job and you want to talk about HTML? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

i made this for me and any other CAG that lost there job to so we can talk about

[quote name='Canadian_Man']You lost your job and you want to talk about HTML? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm a geek, I laughed.

Losing your job sucks. Only thing is, at least it's only been 5 years. I'm sure your still very employable. I know people here in Michigan that have worked 20+ years at their jobs, nearing retirement age, and they are laid off. They are quite screwed, often needing to go back to school, and accepting the fact that they will now work well into their 60's.

Was this a layoff or a firing? I'm somewhat surprised a college would be laying people off, when colleges usually fair very well in down economies.

Silver lining time - IMO the 4 years will look good on your resume. They obviously liked you (otherwise why keep someone around 4 years) and it shows you're not likely to bolt at the very next opportunity that comes your way.

I can't stress this enough, but write a clean concise resume (clear of typos and grammar mistakes!) and wear a suit & tie to all your interviews. You'd be surprised at how many ppl don't do this...

[quote name='camoor']Silver lining time - IMO the 4 years will look good on your resume. They obviously liked you (otherwise why keep someone around 4 years) and it shows you're not likely to bolt at the very next opportunity that comes your way.

I can't stress this enough, but write a clean concise resume (clear of typos and grammar mistakes!) and wear a suit & tie to all your interviews. You'd be surprised at how many ppl don't do this...[/QUOTE]
I like your sig. Yeah, a lot of people have gotten use to a casual dress when doing everything.

Sorry to hear about that. I lost my job as an avionics technician two and a half weeks ago. I'm lucky I got a good tax return, or I'd really be f'd. My advice to you is to get the ball rolling on unemployment, polish the resume up, and hit the internet, family, and newspaper for leads. I just finally got off my ass and sent out a bunch of resumes and cover letters yesterday and got a new offer this morning. I guess my point is, if you avoid procrastination and get all your job searching obligations taken care of, it makes the inevitable down time much more enjoyable. If you have questions about job interviews, where to buy a suit, cover letters, or anything else, I've been through a lot the last year and a half and maybe I can help you.

Man, I lost a job back in the summer of 06'. Was feeling pretty shitty and finally got a job three months later at a place that my brother actually sent my resume to.

What I can say is keep your head up, man. I spent a lot of time sleeping and feeling sorry for myself, but it was actually one of the best things that happened to me. By losing that job I went from 39K to 51k in a matter of months a year out of college. When I started working I just wish I had spent more time playing video games. So hang in there and good luck.

[quote name='Cracka']I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. Where did you work[/QUOTE]

thankz alot

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']Sorry to hear about that. I lost my job as an avionics technician two and a half weeks ago. I'm lucky I got a good tax return, or I'd really be f'd. My advice to you is to get the ball rolling on unemployment, polish the resume up, and hit the internet, family, and newspaper for leads. I just finally got off my ass and sent out a bunch of resumes and cover letters yesterday and got a new offer this morning. I guess my point is, if you avoid procrastination and get all your job searching obligations taken care of, it makes the inevitable down time much more enjoyable. If you have questions about job interviews, where to buy a suit, cover letters, or anything else, I've been through a lot the last year and a half and maybe I can help you.[/QUOTE]

thankz alot maybe i'll find one too

I had a Capstone class taught by the head of my department during fall semester last year. He spoke about how they have 3 or 4 open positions that they aren't able to fill due to funding issues. Not only that, the department is looking at a credit fee per class hour as well as tuition as a whole going up. Not doing well at all.

[quote name='neocisco']Hey, colleges need custodians too.;)[/QUOTE]

Not an easy job to get, the custodians here make more than I do.

sorry to hear about it. My best friend was let go 2 weeks ago and it was my aunt who had to fire him. But i guess he is happy. he has 13 months severance with full benefits and will get umemployment on top of that..plus he is debt free. atleast for a year he will be really happy.

The market is going to be tough with the current economic climate...but dont give up. Apply to many places as you can and you are surely to get a job. That 4+ years exp is going to come in real handy.

I wish I could get severance pay. How the hell do you manage to get a years worth of pay because they can't afford to keep you on hand?

[quote name='Kayden']I wish I could get severance pay. How the hell do you manage to get a years worth of pay because they can't afford to keep you on hand?[/quote]

Currency fluctuations of course. Your year's worth of pay now might not be worth the same amount later on.

[quote name='integralsmatic']sorry to hear about it. My best friend was let go 2 weeks ago and it was my aunt who had to fire him. But i guess he is happy. he has 13 months severance with full benefits and will get umemployment on top of that..plus he is debt free. atleast for a year he will be really happy.

The market is going to be tough with the current economic climate...but dont give up. Apply to many places as you can and you are surely to get a job. That 4+ years exp is going to come in real handy.[/QUOTE]

Unemployment won't kick in for him until after his severance. If he's getting 13 months worth, then he won't get unemployment till after those 13 months.

I'm actually just going to be entering the work force this summer. I spent all of my fall quarter interviewing, got a job offer, and I thought I was good to go. I found out last week that the program I was going to be in was eliminated, so now I'm back to looking for jobs if the place isn't able to offer me a position anywhere else.

Sorry to hear that starmask. I've been Unemployed since last August, and it sucks. At first its a nice novelty to have free time, but after awhile you just want to get back to being a productive member of society. Luckily they keep on extending unemployment benefits and had a nice savings, we've been able to get by. Wish you the best of luck.

[quote name='jeffispiked']I'm actually just going to be entering the work force this summer. I spent all of my fall quarter interviewing, got a job offer, and I thought I was good to go. I found out last week that the program I was going to be in was eliminated, so now I'm back to looking for jobs if the place isn't able to offer me a position anywhere else.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I know the feeling. I thought I had a job just after I finished, but then lots of layoffs came and my situation changed. I've been looking ever since.

Don't get into the IT field either. I'm sick of all these adds on the radio saying, 'wanna make a fuck ton of money!? Come to our school and get your IT degree in just 6 months!' You could be making 60k in a few years!

The people that make that much aren't the fucking mooks that got a trade school diploma because they wanted to make money. Those are the sorry bastards making $9/hr doing phone support in a little cell.

[quote name='homeland']Sorry to hear that starmask. I've been Unemployed since last August, and it sucks. At first its a nice novelty to have free time, but after awhile you just want to get back to being a productive member of society. Luckily they keep on extending unemployment benefits and had a nice savings, we've been able to get by. Wish you the best of luck.[/quote]

How are you unemployed since last August in a city like Raleigh? Not trying to start shit, but I'm genuinely curious. Are there absolutely no jobs out there?

[quote name='mtxbass1']How are you unemployed since last August in a city like Raleigh? Not trying to start shit, but I'm genuinely curious. Are there absolutely no jobs out there?[/quote]

Believe me I've been looking. Anything Entry level office.. Not looking for anything amazing. I've sent my resume to companies, the universities, state, and city agencies and haven't heard shit. My biggest problems are 1) Neither me nor my wife are from around here, so we don't know anyone and 2) I still don't have my Bachelors (10 classes away). I thought between having almost 90 credits and 5 years of administrative experience in the military it would get me something. But, nothing yet. Luckily I'm collected R.I unemployment (a nice perk about getting out of the military) while we live down here, so we are able to get by but, our only entertainment is our once a week grocery shopping run.

I didn't want to resort to it but, I've finally broken down and asked my father to look around (his company does alot of work with companies down here) so i'm hoping, praying I find something soon.

[quote name='homeland']Believe me I've been looking. Anything Entry level office.. Not looking for anything amazing. I've sent my resume to companies, the universities, state, and city agencies and haven't heard shit. My biggest problems are 1) Neither me nor my wife are from around here, so we don't know anyone and 2) I still don't have my Bachelors (10 classes away). I thought between having almost 90 credits and 5 years of administrative experience in the military it would get me something. But, nothing yet. Luckily I'm collected R.I unemployment (a nice perk about getting out of the military) while we live down here, so we are able to get by but, our only entertainment is our once a week grocery shopping run.

I didn't want to resort to it but, I've finally broken down and asked my father to look around (his company does alot of work with companies down here) so i'm hoping, praying I find something soon.[/quote]

Have you explored options outside of finding a job online? You'd be surprised what you can find when you do a little legwork in the city. Like, literally driving around, dropping off resumes, etc etc.

[quote name='homeland']Sorry to hear that starmask. I've been Unemployed since last August, and it sucks. At first its a nice novelty to have free time, but after awhile you just want to get back to being a productive member of society. Luckily they keep on extending unemployment benefits and had a nice savings, we've been able to get by. Wish you the best of luck.[/QUOTE]

thankz alot i was getting up everyday at 4:30 am how i get up at 4:30 pm ha ha a i get 140 for unemployment for 4 days

[quote name='zewone']What kind of job did you have at the college and how did you convince them to employee you for four years?[/QUOTE]

hi my friend well i was a dishwasher/catering/runner and i was a good worker by coming in time and coming in every day to work

[quote name='Kayden']Don't get into the IT field either. I'm sick of all these adds on the radio saying, 'wanna make a fuck ton of money!? Come to our school and get your IT degree in just 6 months!' You could be making 60k in a few years!

The people that make that much aren't the fucking mooks that got a trade school diploma because they wanted to make money. Those are the sorry bastards making $9/hr doing phone support in a little cell.[/QUOTE]

ur talking about IT-tech

[quote name='mtxbass1']Have you explored options outside of finding a job online? You'd be surprised what you can find when you do a little legwork in the city. Like, literally driving around, dropping off resumes, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

i did that so far one turn down

[quote name='Kayden']I wish I could get severance pay. How the hell do you manage to get a years worth of pay because they can't afford to keep you on hand?[/QUOTE]

Well my the company that my aunt and friend were working for is Bar Labs and they just went in a merger with some other company. So i think you know what happens when two companies merge together. My friend was part of that fat that need to be cut off.

but again the boy is living pretty for atleast a year.

[quote name='zewone']What kind of job did you have at the college and how did you convince them to employee you for four years?[/QUOTE]

What's with the random hostility?

You sure as fuck wouldn't want someone shitting on you if you just lost a job.

Starmask is lucky to have actually been smart and save up some dough before hand, and he's got a great family to help him out while he's down. With any luck he'll be able to bounce back from this predicament.

OP: I am truly sorry to hear that you lost your job. I know what it is like to lose your job when it is out of your control. Just keep your chin up. As someone suggested, wear a suit to ALL of your interviews. That is very important. In your downtime, it would be beneficial if you can to try to do some learning on your own if you can. Read books in whatever your field is, show potential employers you are interested in keeping your skill up to date.

Good luck!

I really didn't enjoy my first steps into the "real world".

I graduated from college last May, and was looking for a job through December. Thought I had a couple ready to go in that timeframe, but they fell through last minute.

I did have small IT contract jobs during that time, but doing 1099 tax stuff sucks, and driving around Illinois all the damn time got tiring.

Thankfully, the job I did take in mid-December has been great. Plus, the company I work for needed another IT person on their staff. Our division has thumped the others for a while now in workload, so I (hopefully) won't be getting the boot during this bad economic period.

Good luck with your search.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How are you unemployed since last August in a city like Raleigh? Not trying to start shit, but I'm genuinely curious. Are there absolutely no jobs out there?[/QUOTE]

There aren't shit for jobs here. Like four of my family members lost their job in the past nine months. Shit has been crazy.

[quote name='Kayden']Don't get into the IT field either. I'm sick of all these adds on the radio saying, 'wanna make a fuck ton of money!? Come to our school and get your IT degree in just 6 months!' You could be making 60k in a few years!

The people that make that much aren't the fucking mooks that got a trade school diploma because they wanted to make money. Those are the sorry bastards making $9/hr doing phone support in a little cell.[/QUOTE]

In any major urban population center there are IT roles that are practically guaranteed employment at over $50K. But unless you already have a very strong background, you won't qualify in six months. Also, a lot of the most valuable certs are are almost impossible to obtain without already being employed by a large corporate user of the product.

Some people don't notice these opportunities because the products are obscure outside the corporate sector. For example, if you can get the Lotus Notes Admin certification, you need never go more than a week unemployed if you don't desire it, and around L.A. the entry level for guys fresh out of the cert test is 40K last I looked. Experienced Notes admins can easily go over 100K and there are ALWAYS positions going unfilled in that particular skill set.

Any serious trade school diploma should pull down far better than $9 an hour, unless you live in Nowheresville. Typical jobs like that only tend to take an A+ Certification to get started. Anyone who has built their own PC should be able to pass the A+ test in less than a month of home study with inexpensive materials. Show any serious aptitude and you can get in at Best buy at $16 an hour. Beats the hell out of flipping burgers for the minuscule skill level required.

Once you get in at that sort of place there is usually assistance offered to help cover the expense of further certs. Network+ is another trivially easy test that shouldn't take more than a few weeks of home study if you have any aptitude. From there, Security+ is next.

Security+ is where things actually get interesting because it is the starting point for where the certs start getting serious. A whole bunch of certs, including the aforementioned Lotus Notes Admin, require Security+ or use it as an elective towards fulfilling the requirements.

If you have any genuine potential in IT, you can get all three of those CompTIA certs in less than six months and under $1,000 for the study materials and taking the tests. With any luck you can turn up vouchers that reduce the test cost considerably. It makes for great resume padding and the basic understanding for entry level IT gigs.

But it should also be recognized that you don't go to school for an IT skill set and that is the end. You may not be in a classroom but you'll be a student for the rest of your career, because there is always more to learn if you don't want your skill set to become stale as products become obsolete and new stuff enters the market.

I live in the Midwest. "Lucrative" tech positions offer ~$12/hr; burger flipping is about $7-8 and I've NEVER heard of anyone working at Best Buy as hourly making $16/hr and their HQ is here. I'm making $40k as a network admin with 5 years of experience and that's actually good for this area.

So I think you're agreeing with me, we just have regional price differences. The tech schools up here pretty much just point at a mouse, tell you what DIR does and then try to hammer the A+ into your head and kick you out the door. I've seen people fresh out of these schools that couldn't tell you the difference between a PCI, PCI-X and PCI-E slots. I had one guy on an interview pick up the CD audio cable and say, "Hey, cool! Sata!" :wall:

My point was, don't get into IT just because you think there is money in it. There is only money to be made if you're the type of person that already enjoys working on computers and therefore would probably already be on an IT centric career path.

[quote name='epobirs']In any major urban population center there are IT roles that are practically guaranteed employment at over $50K. But unless you already have a very strong background, you won't qualify in six months. Also, a lot of the most valuable certs are are almost impossible to obtain without already being employed by a large corporate user of the product.

Some people don't notice these opportunities because the products are obscure outside the corporate sector. For example, if you can get the Lotus Notes Admin certification, you need never go more than a week unemployed if you don't desire it, and around L.A. the entry level for guys fresh out of the cert test is 40K last I looked. Experienced Notes admins can easily go over 100K and there are ALWAYS positions going unfilled in that particular skill set.

Any serious trade school diploma should pull down far better than $9 an hour, unless you live in Nowheresville. Typical jobs like that only tend to take an A+ Certification to get started. Anyone who has built their own PC should be able to pass the A+ test in less than a month of home study with inexpensive materials. Show any serious aptitude and you can get in at Best buy at $16 an hour. Beats the hell out of flipping burgers for the minuscule skill level required.

Once you get in at that sort of place there is usually assistance offered to help cover the expense of further certs. Network+ is another trivially easy test that shouldn't take more than a few weeks of home study if you have any aptitude. From there, Security+ is next.

Security+ is where things actually get interesting because it is the starting point for where the certs start getting serious. A whole bunch of certs, including the aforementioned Lotus Notes Admin, require Security+ or use it as an elective towards fulfilling the requirements.

If you have any genuine potential in IT, you can get all three of those CompTIA certs in less than six months and under $1,000 for the study materials and taking the tests. With any luck you can turn up vouchers that reduce the test cost considerably. It makes for great resume padding and the basic understanding for entry level IT gigs.

But it should also be recognized that you don't go to school for an IT skill set and that is the end. You may not be in a classroom but you'll be a student for the rest of your career, because there is always more to learn if you don't want your skill set to become stale as products become obsolete and new stuff enters the market.[/quote]

Yea I lost my job in December I was in a contract I.T. position and my BAs are in English and History.

File for unemployment, freeze all your unnecessary spending, and hit the ground running. Take resumes and cover letters around to companies you'd like to work for and drop them off wearing dress clothes of course.

I've managed to have 3 interviews so far and I'm currently working, I was unemployed for about 6 weeks.

The people that make that much aren't the fucking mooks that got a trade school diploma because they wanted to make money. Those are the sorry bastards making $9/hr doing phone support in a little cell.[/quote]

It isn't a cell. It isn't that cushy.

bread's done
Back