I need a CHEAP new car for commuting only [Smart Car?]

[quote name='rickonker']Maybe if you live in a 1D world. In the real world a car could be approaching an intersection from an angle, and if you stop faster or steer better (ABS generally improves steering ability) you could avoid hitting it altogether.

Actually, even your 1D example is wrong, because you're assuming the other car isn't braking at all. And even if they did hit each other, with ABS the collision could be at a safer angle or a slower speed, which reduces the chance of serious injury.[/quote]

In the real world you get hit and you didn't see it coming. That is why it is called an accident.

[quote name='Malik112099']In the real world you get hit and you didn't see it coming. That is why it is called an accident.[/QUOTE]

As someone who has been working on cars for fifteen years, your logic is extremely flawed. Always get ABS if you have the choice.

[quote name='Malik112099']In the real world you get hit and you didn't see it coming. That is why it is called an accident.[/QUOTE]

I gotten hit a couple of times, and both times I saw it coming and just had no way to avoid it. If you're an observant driver most accidents you'll see coming. Be it the car coming up behind you to rear end you or someone plowing through a stop sigh or red light, some one not looking when changing lanes. You just often can't avoid it without swerving into oncoming traffic etc.

And you were talking about anti-lock brakes--which only kick in when you slam on the brakes. Thus those only matter when you see something and have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting it. So ABL is a damn good thing to have to prevent lock ups in such situations.

All anti lock brakes do is keep the wheels from locking up. That's it. That's all. You don't stop any faster than a car without anti lock brakes unless the wheels are locked up. It is a nice, but not neccessary feature much like curtain air bags or stability/traction control.

[quote name='Malik112099']All anti lock brakes do is keep the wheels from locking up. That's it. That's all. You don't stop any faster than a car without anti lock brakes unless the wheels are locked up. [/QUOTE]

Which is why it's pretty fucking important.

You really seem to be out of your element here.

Uh... no actually in some cases like in snow if your wheels are locked up you can still keep going.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApZm9-rwFc[/media]

[quote name='VipFREAK']Uh... no actually in some cases like in snow if your wheels are locked up you can still keep going.[/quote]

Anti lock brakes wouldnt have done shit in that situation.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Don't you only have 2 daughters, javeryh? Why the fuck would you need an SUV?[/quote]

I have 2 kids (son and daughter) and believe me, it's much much easier to get them around with an SUV than with a regular sedan. So much stuff... Also, hopefully more kids are on the way eventually.

I sold my old Jetta on craigslist yesterday. It was so simple - buyer paid cash for it and I signed over the title. Now I just need to bring the old plates to the DMV and I'm all set!

[quote name='Malik112099']In the real world you get hit and you didn't see it coming. That is why it is called an accident.[/quote]

Man it's like every post you make has some serious flaw. Anyway others have already pointed out the problem with this one.

[quote name='javeryh']I have 2 kids (son and daughter) and believe me, it's much much easier to get them around with an SUV than with a regular sedan. So much stuff... [/QUOTE]

I don't believe you, but whatever, it's your money to waste.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't believe you, but whatever, it's your money to waste.[/quote]

I have 2 kids (1 and 2 yrs old) and had a full sized sedan. It is a bitch to bed over and get them in and out of the car seats. We recently upgraded to a mid sized SUV and it is 100x easier to get them in and out of the vehicle.

Do you have kids? If you have ever dealt with small children in cars as oppossed to a truck/SUV/minivan you would be singing a different tune.

I wouldn't have to bend over much because I'm 5 feet. :lol:

Also, cry more. Your parents did it, your grandparents did it, you can do it without getting a 10mpg clunker.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I wouldn't have to bend over much because I'm 5 feet. :lol:

Also, cry more. Your parents did it, your grandparents did it, you can do it without getting a 10mpg clunker.[/quote]

Oh! You would prefer a sedan cause you can reach the pedals...I get it now ;)

Also...my SUV (2008 Hyundai Sonata SE) gets 17 city and 24 highway. My parents had a minivan. And the older boat sized V8 cars my grandparents had more than likely got way worse gas mileage than most cars on the road today.

It's definitely MUCH easier to deal with kids in an SUV. Be it getting them in and out of car seats, or having room to haul sports equipment, luggage for 4+ people for vacation etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's definitely MUCH easier to deal with kids in an SUV. Be it getting them in and out of car seats, or having room to haul sports equipment, luggage for 4+ people for vacation etc.[/QUOTE]

The room problem is easily handled with a hatchback with an insane trunk like the Honda Fit. And again, cry more on having to bend over to get them into car seats. Are people really that lazy these days?

I grew up in one of these piece o shits... so NOBODY should be complaining. Luckily it didn't have that gay ass fake wood on the side.

2152799548_734a25b999.jpg

As for a car vs an SUV...

My dad has a Rav4 and a Tundra I'd much rather my sister's tC or hell even that damn oldsmobile because it would literally have more space for my legs and head. I'm not that tall either...

Yes people are lazy.

And judgemental too apparently. :roll:

I couldn't care less if people buy SUVs if they're actually hauling stuff and/or 4+ people around on a regular basis. Especially mid-sized SUVs that get better gas mileage. No reason to get on a high horse and bash other people's choices.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The room problem is easily handled with a hatchback with an insane trunk like the Honda Fit. And again, cry more on having to bend over to get them into car seats. Are people really that lazy these days?[/QUOTE]

Have kids. Then we can talk.

Otherwise, stick to stuff you know.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Have kids. Then we can talk.

Otherwise, stick to stuff you know.[/quote]

Preach on brother!

with the way this guy bitches about being "lazy" you would think he doesnt have a remote control for his tv, or use a dishwasher or washing machine/dryer. My grandparents didn't have this stuff so why should we. Why the fuck is he even on the internet? He should be at the library looking at shit on microfiche.

I prefer smaller cars, since I don't really have a need to haul large furniture or anything like that. I borrow my dad's Dakota for that.

What I DO have a problem with is the oversized SUVs that are completely unnecessary (Escalade, Suburban, new Durango). If you regularly haul 10 people around, that's fine, but I don't understand single guys that drive them around because they're donk, yo.

Sure, they may be safe for you, but it's a huge safety hazard for everyone else on the road - Reduced visibility of the driver AND other drivers, not to mention they're going to cause way more damage in an accident.

On topic, I like my 2004 Neon. I'm 6'3" and I fit nicely in it and it handles well in snow.
For a sedan, I'd take a look at Dodge Chargers since Chrysler must be giving them away by now. Lifetime warranty is a plus too.

If I were in the market, though, I'd be headed straight for the Challengers.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The room problem is easily handled with a hatchback with an insane trunk like the Honda Fit. And again, cry more on having to bend over to get them into car seats. Are people really that lazy these days?[/quote]

I test drove the Honda Fit and it is completely inadequate for a family of 4. Sure everyone could be crammed in there but the hatchback doesn't have room for anything - I don't even think the pack-n-play could fit back there. Plus the engine on that thing sucks ass. It felt like it was straining to move on a completely flat surface. Also, the car seats are a huge pain in a sedan as compared to an SUV - the doors open wider and you don't have to constantly bend over to get the kids in and out. Kids are in car seats until they are practically teenagers nowadays. Sure it can be done but it has nothing to do with laziness - it's about making it easier (and safer) for the kids. Just getting everyone out of the house takes an extra 20 minutes because of the kids and all their stuff - every single time. The RAV4 I bought has pretty decent gas mileage for an SUV. I'm very happy with it. I don't know... if you don't have kids of your own you just won't understand.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I grew up in one of these piece o shits... so NOBODY should be complaining. Luckily it didn't have that gay ass fake wood on the side.

2152799548_734a25b999.jpg

As for a car vs an SUV...

My dad has a Rav4 and a Tundra I'd much rather my sister's tC or hell even that damn oldsmobile because it would literally have more space for my legs and head. I'm not that tall either...[/quote]

:drool:

That looks awesome, where can I get a low-riding SUV like that?

[quote name='reiji']I prefer smaller cars, since I don't really have a need to haul large furniture or anything like that. I borrow my dad's Dakota for that.

What I DO have a problem with is the oversized SUVs that are completely unnecessary (Escalade, Suburban, new Durango). If you regularly haul 10 people around, that's fine, but I don't understand single guys that drive them around because they're donk, yo.

Sure, they may be safe for you, but it's a huge safety hazard for everyone else on the road - Reduced visibility of the driver AND other drivers, not to mention they're going to cause way more damage in an accident.

On topic, I like my 2004 Neon. I'm 6'3" and I fit nicely in it and it handles well in snow.
For a sedan, I'd take a look at Dodge Chargers since Chrysler must be giving them away by now. Lifetime warranty is a plus too.

If I were in the market, though, I'd be headed straight for the Challengers.[/quote]

You complain about oversized vehicles for one person but you'd head straight for a Challenger? ;)

[quote name='rickonker']You complain about oversized vehicles for one person but you'd head straight for a Challenger? ;)[/quote]

Haha. Good call!
You made me curious, though. Some quick research tells me that the new Challengers are just within a few inches of being the size of a Accord sedan.
Not too bad for a modern muscle car!

[quote name='reiji']Haha. Good call!
You made me curious, though. Some quick research tells me that the new Challengers are just within a few inches of being the size of a Accord sedan.
Not too bad for a modern muscle car![/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't think reviews have been too good for the Challenger though. And if Chrysler declares bankruptcy the lifetime warranty may not matter anymore.

09 Challenger: 197.7/75.7/57.0 in
08 Mustang: 187.6/73.9/55.7 in

So, add about 10 inches to the back end of a Mustang. Doesn't seem like a lot to me. Challengers are definitely heavier though.
I think a lot of Chrysler-made cars come off as being bigger than they really are sue to the styling.

I once talked to some classmates who were complaining about how huge PT Cruisers are. Then I told them that they're Neons with hatches (same chassis, engine, just slightly taller).

Yes, I'm a bit of a Dodge fanboy. I've just had nothing but good experiences with mine.

[quote name='reiji']09 Challenger: 197.7/75.7/57.0 in
08 Mustang: 187.6/73.9/55.7 in

So, add about 10 inches to the back end of a Mustang. Doesn't seem like a lot to me. Challengers are definitely heavier though.
I think a lot of Chrysler-made cars come off as being bigger than they really are sue to the styling.

I once talked to some classmates who were complaining about how huge PT Cruisers are. Then I told them that they're Neons with hatches (same chassis, engine, just slightly taller).

Yes, I'm a bit of a Dodge fanboy. I've just had nothing but good experiences with mine.[/QUOTE]
Add just 2.5 inches to the length of the Challenger and you have the length of a Charger, a full-size sedan...

[quote name='rickonker']Add just 2.5 inches to the length of the Challenger and you have the length of a Charger, a full-size sedan...[/quote]

Oh, I definitely see your point.

If I had my way, Dodge would be producing a RWD version of the Demon concept or that Evora-based EV coupe.

The Demon probably won't happen, but I'd be in line for one of those if they started producing them.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The room problem is easily handled with a hatchback with an insane trunk like the Honda Fit. And again, cry more on having to bend over to get them into car seats. Are people really that lazy these days?[/QUOTE]

The Honda Fit only has like 20 cubic feet of room in the trunk. I wouldn't call that an insane amount. Compared to a Yaris maybe.

[quote name='reiji']

Yes, I'm a bit of a Dodge fanboy. I've just had nothing but good experiences with mine.[/QUOTE]
The PT Cruiser is a piece of shit. My uncle has one. No room, no power, the inside looks and feels like shit. The newest model year also had a horrible crash test/safety rating.

I have a Dodge Charger and I will never be buying one of their pieces of shit again. The battery died at under 5000 miles. I didn't leave any lights on or anything like that. The POS just froze- in -10F weather. The dude at Autozone said batteries shouldn't freeze until about -40 - -60F. Curiously, the lights, radio, and heat still worked, but the battery just wasn't powerful enough to kick in the engine in the cold. Also, you can tell that they cut the corners on the battery, because there is room for a bigger, more powerful battery in the slot, but they kept the smaller one in place with a hastily-placed metal bracket. Obviously, they knew that the car needed a more powerful battery to withstand cold weather and other harsh conditions, but to save a few dollars per car, they put in the metal bracket and used a cheaper battery. I got a high-quality replacement battery that fit in with the metal bracket removed and it now works perfectly. Additionally, when trying to find the battery (it's kept in the trunk!) my boyfriend noticed how poorly the wire harnesses in the hood were placed. They're right next to a corrugated wire, which will eventually cause the wire harness to be sawed off, killing the car. My boyfriend noticed this because he was a wire harness expert at a Honda supplier, and he said that would have never made it past the design stage there. I really wish I knew my boyfriend when I'd purchased the car, I'd have him look under the hood for any such problems.

In summary, Chrysler didn't deserve a penny of our tax dollars, and I hope they rot in hell. My next car will either be a Toyota or Honda. Good day.

[quote name='docvinh']The Honda Fit only has like 20 cubic feet of room in the trunk. I wouldn't call that an insane amount. Compared to a Yaris maybe.[/QUOTE]
Compared to an SUV/minivan, sure. But compared to a midsize or even a fullsize sedan (like my Charger), it's an insane amount. Very much so for its size.

[quote name='Malik112099']Funny how you brought ip gas mileage earlier and you drive a charger...[/QUOTE]

The car is 2.5 years old and has less than 5000 miles on it. It was also purchased before I became more aware about these things. I don't drive it enough for a trade to make sense. Also, it actually gets better mileage than pretty much every SUV, truck, or minivan, with some exceptions. And it gets better mileage than many other sportscars, like my father's Lexus. It's definitely not a fucking Tahoe.

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']

Compared to an SUV/minivan, sure. But compared to a midsize or even a fullsize sedan (like my Charger), it's an insane amount. Very much so for its size.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, I'll give you that. I guess that compared to most hatchbacks, that's a fairly standard amount of space.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The PT Cruiser is a piece of shit. My uncle has one. No room, no power, the inside looks and feels like shit. The newest model year also had a horrible crash test/safety rating.

I have a Dodge Charger and I will never be buying one of their pieces of shit again. The battery died at under 5000 miles. I didn't leave any lights on or anything like that. The POS just froze- in -10F weather. The dude at Autozone said batteries shouldn't freeze until about -40 - -60F. Curiously, the lights, radio, and heat still worked, but the battery just wasn't powerful enough to kick in the engine in the cold. Also, you can tell that they cut the corners on the battery, because there is room for a bigger, more powerful battery in the slot, but they kept the smaller one in place with a hastily-placed metal bracket. Obviously, they knew that the car needed a more powerful battery to withstand cold weather and other harsh conditions, but to save a few dollars per car, they put in the metal bracket and used a cheaper battery. I got a high-quality replacement battery that fit in with the metal bracket removed and it now works perfectly. Additionally, when trying to find the battery (it's kept in the trunk!) my boyfriend noticed how poorly the wire harnesses in the hood were placed. They're right next to a corrugated wire, which will eventually cause the wire harness to be sawed off, killing the car. My boyfriend noticed this because he was a wire harness expert at a Honda supplier, and he said that would have never made it past the design stage there. I really wish I knew my boyfriend when I'd purchased the car, I'd have him look under the hood for any such problems.

In summary, Chrysler didn't deserve a penny of our tax dollars, and I hope they rot in hell. My next car will either be a Toyota or Honda. Good day.

Compared to an SUV/minivan, sure. But compared to a midsize or even a fullsize sedan (like my Charger), it's an insane amount. Very much so for its size.[/QUOTE]

You hate the Charger because....it had a bad battery. Wow. That's like not buying a house because you don't like the cabinet hardware.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The car is 2.5 years old and has less than 5000 miles on it. It was also purchased before I became more aware about these things. I don't drive it enough for a trade to make sense. Also, it actually gets better mileage than pretty much every SUV, truck, or minivan, with some exceptions. And it gets better mileage than many other sportscars, like my father's Lexus. It's definitely not a fucking Tahoe.

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
[/quote]

I wouldn't call 1-2 mpg "better"

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You hate the Charger because....it had a bad battery. Wow. That's like not buying a house because you don't like the cabinet hardware.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate the Charger. It's a beautiful car, it has a lot of power. I love the car. I hate how shoddy it was built.

[quote name='Malik112099']I wouldn't call 1-2 mpg "better"[/QUOTE]
18 city/25 highway is better than a lot of SUVs/trucks/minivans. Stop trolling.

The main point here Dead is that you're seeing why it sucks to be judgmental of other people's choices.

Unless your flawless on what your criticizing (in this case MPG--which would mean you'd need to not own a car and use public transit to be free of criticism) to have any real ground to stand on. It's pretty lame to knock someone for buying a Rav 4 when you drive a gas guzzling muscle car actually gets worse gas mileage. The 2009 Rav 4 gets 22 City/28 highway.

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/

[quote name='dmaul1114']The main point here Dead is that you're seeing why it sucks to be judgmental of other people's choices.

Unless your flawless on what your criticizing (in this case MPG--which would mean you'd need to not own a car and use public transit to be free of criticism) to have any real ground to stand on. It's pretty lame to knock someone for buying a Rav 4 when you drive a gas guzzling muscle car actually gets worse gas mileage. The 2009 Rav 4 gets 22 City/28 highway.

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/[/QUOTE]
The point is if I were buying a new car TODAY, like javeryh, I would buy something a lot more fuel efficient than a RAV4. Especially since he was looking for a commuter car in the first place, then gave in to his wife's demands.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't hate the Charger. It's a beautiful car, it has a lot of power. I love the car. I hate how shoddy it was built.

18 city/25 highway is better than a lot of SUVs/trucks/minivans. Stop trolling.[/QUOTE]

It's still not a fair representation of how the car was built. If you had an early Intrepid, I could see your point (remove wheel to access battery FTL).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The point is if I were buying a new car TODAY, like javeryh, I would buy something a lot more fuel efficient than a RAV4. Especially since he was looking for a commuter car in the first place, then gave in to his wife's demands.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. But no need to live up to your user title and bitch at other people for their choices.

But what suits you and let others buy and drive what suits them and their families.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']18 city/25 highway is better than a lot of SUVs/trucks/minivans. Stop trolling.[/quote]

I didnt know carrying on a discussion of opinions and factual mpg numbers relating to how hypocritical you are in a forum was trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://minivans.about.com/od/fueleconomy/tp/top5_fuel.htm

1. Mazda5 Touring

EPA city/highway mileage: 22/27 (manual) 21/26 (automatic)

2. Dodge Caravan SE

EPA city/highway mileage: 20/26 (automatic, 2.4 liter 4 cyl.)

3. Tie

EPA city/highway mileage: 19/26

• Dodge Caravan SXT
  • Dodge Grand Caravan SE
  • Honda Odyssey EX-L/Limited
  • Toyota Sienna (FWD)
  • Chrysler Town & Country (base)
4. Tie

EPA city/highway mileage: 18/25

• Hyundai Entourage
  • Mazda MPV
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Nissan Quest
  • Kia Sedona
  • Buick Terraza
  • Chevrolet Uplander
  • Chrysler Town & Country Limited
2007 Toyota RAV4Base price: $20,950 - $26,520

Front Wheel Drive: 24 city/30 highway Four Wheel Drive: 23 city/27 highway

2007 Honda CR-VBase price: $20,600 - $28,000

Front Wheel Drive: 23 city/30 highway Four Wheel Drive: 22 city/28 highway

2007 Saturn VueBase price: $17,475 - $23,710

Front Wheel Drive (manual five-speed) : 23 city/29 highway
Front Wheel Drive (automatic): 22 city/27 highway All Wheel Drive (V6 automatic): 19 city/25 highway

hmmmm......yours gets 18/25?

bread's done
Back