I need a digital camera to take pictures of documents...

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am completely naive as to what things to look for in a camera that would take pictures of documents or newspaper clippings. I am pursuing my doctorate in History so this would be a worthwhile investment, eventually with the benefits of the free easily accessible pictures outweighing paying fifteen cents a copy at an archive...

So what should things should I look for: widescreen mode, megapixels, etc? Anyone just have a suggested camera to look for. Needless to say I am looking for one on the cheap.

From the movies i've seen the most suitable choices come in the forms of a bowtie or a pen. Especially when you're searching for documents on hidden military assets. Just ask 007 where he gets his dosier cameras.

All you need is a camera with a good macro mode (used for up-close shots) which is usually designated by a flow icon. Most cameras have these, some have better than others.

Many good cameras have a specific mode for text. Look-up a camera and see if it has that mode. Chances are that if it does have it then it will take good pictures of text.

But still, what about a scanner?

[quote name='Magehart']From the movies i've seen the most suitable choices come in the forms of a bowtie or a pen. Especially when you're searching for documents on hidden military assets. Just ask 007 where he gets his dosier cameras.[/QUOTE]

everyone knows he gets it from "Q"
duh!
cleese.jpg

[quote name='dtarasev']Many good cameras have a specific mode for text. Look-up a camera and see if it has that mode. Chances are that if it does have it then it will take good pictures of text.

But still, what about a scanner?[/QUOTE]

I have never used a scanner in my life before, and have never seen historians at archives use them either. I only remember the incredibly old one that my grandparents used to have that was rather cumbersome. Do they make rather portable ones nowadays? Would this be a much more feasible and practical solutiion.

And thanks for the advice about the text and macro features in cameras. I guess now I will be looking into both scanners and cameras.

[quote name='strayfoxx']I have never used a scanner in my life before, and have never seen historians at archives use them either. I only remember the incredibly old one that my grandparents used to have that was rather cumbersome. Do they make rather portable ones nowadays? Would this be a much more feasible and practical solutiion.

And thanks for the advice about the text and macro features in cameras. I guess now I will be looking into both scanners and cameras.[/QUOTE]

There are portable feed type scanners available that are not as big as the old flatbeds that you probably know. If your main purpose is for documents, go with the scanner. It will be a lot easier on the eyes than a photo of a document.

bread's done
Back