I need a job.

hec204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I've been kind of trying (Filled out 2 apps)to get a job for the last month or two, anyone have any advice on filling out applications,where to work, responsibilities, taxes and etc?
I am 17 years old btw, and I have no real work experience, I have no idea what to put under previous work experience in applications.

Heres a few questions I had about jobs at my age(17)
What taxes do I pay in general?
How do I present myself at an interview?
How do I keep my job?

looking forward to some responses thanks:)

Just be yourself and be honest. My friend went in w/ a ratty T-shirt and military pants and was hired @ Wal-Mart. As long as you're totally honest and upbeat they don't give a shit about how you look @ an entry level part timer.

Just like in fishing you must cast a wide net. So fill out like 20 apps.

Don't worry about taxes they do them for you.

Keeping your job is the easiest. Don't be a diptard.

What are my options at 17? All my friends work retail, either a fast food restaurant or a shoe store at the mall.
And what are referees?
I do know retail has it's ups and downs, Like dealing with retards and stubborn people, knowing how my parents can be stubborn sometimes to retail workers makes me scared, I don't want to be fired or embarrassed because I can't handle an idiot that can't understand that his coupon expired or something.

[quote name='primetime']Referees do get paid a crapload of cash. No taxes either here.[/QUOTE]
I make $20-$25 per soccer game, depending on the age level. Every game is 1.5 hours long, at the most.
Plus, you get exercise.

I can't wait for the season to start again.

[quote name='hec204']What are my options at 17? All my friends work retail, either a fast food restaurant or a shoe store at the mall.
And what are referees?[/QUOTE]...Really? You don't know what the guys who enforce the rules in sports games are called?

I also tutor (main job). I'm your age.

[quote name='hec204']What are my options at 17? All my friends work retail, either a fast food restaurant or a shoe store at the mall.
And what are referees?[/quote]

Any retail store pretty much. Wal-Mart, target, best buy or any store at the mall. Pretty much anywhere that you see people 23 and under working.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I make $20-$25 per soccer game, depending on the age level. Every game is 1.5 hours long, at the most.
Plus, you get exercise.

...Really? You don't know what the guys who enforce the rules in sports games are called?

I also tutor (main job). I'm your age.[/quote] Oh of course that referee... I was thinking something else

Also what wage should I ask for, should I ask for anything more than minimum wage($8.00 here in California)?
What about the work experience?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']And I need a blow job, maybe we can work something out.

... er how old are you, will Chris Hanson be involved here?[/quote] Learn to read, and yes Chris Hanson is the one giving the blow job, I'm just the middleman(no pun intended) I charge a 90% fee + a $50 base fee.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I make $20-$25 per soccer game, depending on the age level. Every game is 1.5 hours long, at the most.
Plus, you get exercise.

[/quote]

Yep, same here. Tourneys tend to pay more also. My assignor got me into State Cup last year. That $40 a game was real nice for U-12 :)

[quote name='hec204']Oh of course that referee... I was thinking something else

Also what wage should I ask for, should I ask for anything more than minimum wage($8.00 here in California)?
What about the work experience?[/quote]

Dude. You're 17 w/ no experience in Kalifornia. Take what you can get. If you don't some Mexican will.

My first job here was doing office work @ a warehouse. It was the easiest job I ever had.

[quote name='Magehart']Dude. You're 17 w/ no experience in Kalifornia. Take what you can get. If you don't some Mexican will.

My first job here was doing office work @ a warehouse. It was the easiest job I ever had.[/quote]

Maybe try the park district. My local one holds job fairs a couple times per year.

Do you or your parents know any adults that could get you a job? At that age, a lot of times it's about who you know.

[quote name='primetime']Yep, same here. Tourneys tend to pay more also. My assignor got me into State Cup last year. That $40 a game was real nice for U-12 :)[/QUOTE]
Damn, that's nice.

I was making $20 a game for U12/13s on the lines, and $25 for centering, at a tournament two weeks ago. Tourney rules had 20 minute halves the first day, and 30 minute ones the second day. $$$

This season, my club has actually raised it's pay rate. Like I said, I can't wait.

[quote name='Magehart']Legal or illegal?

What im saying is getting an entry job is a bitch b/c of everyone being paid "under the table".[/quote] I was US born, my parents are both US Citizens, got a problem? GTFO:cool:

immigrant.gif

[quote name='primetime']Maybe try the park district. My local one holds job fairs a couple times per year.

Do you or your parents know any adults that could get you a job? At that age, a lot of times it's about who you know.[/quote]
I think I may know a few people...

[quote name='hec204']Learn to read, and yes Chris Hanson is the one giving the blow job, I'm just the middleman(no pun intended) I charge a 90% fee + a $50 base fee.[/quote]

See, I know how to read, but after finishing the first sentence of your OP, I opted to forego the rest of your rant of stupidity.

Asking for advice on how to fill out applications, eh? Gonna ask for a tutorial on how to wipe your own ass next?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']2 months and only 2 applications? thats not looking my friend.[/quote] More like 5 applications, filled out 3 online if that counts

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']See, I know how to read, but after finishing the first sentence of your OP, I opted to forego the rest of your rant of stupidity.

Asking for advice on how to fill out applications, eh? Gonna ask for a tutorial on how to wipe your own ass next?[/quote]
Nah. I already have that tutorial http://www.randomsalad.com/go/how-to-wipe-your-ass/ thanks though :)

[quote name='linkpwns']We have a $7.15 here in New York. $8 Would be nice...[/QUOTE]
It was $5.15 here in Texas, up until Congress passed that increase.

[quote name='linkpwns']We have a $7.15 here in New York. $8 Would be nice...[/quote] It was $7.75 last year, just turned $8.00 this year(2008)

Well I think I'm gonna drive around tommorow pick up 10+ different apps and see if I get any offers, hopefully I will, thanks for the responses guys

[quote name='Liquid 2']Way too high.[/quote] Not really, $8.00 is barely enough to keep you living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the poorest parts in california, you would need $30+ to actually afford a house, all real estate is crazy here, everything is half a mil+ and going up.

[quote name='hec204']Not really, $8.00 is barely enough to keep you living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the poorest parts in california, you would need $30+ to actually afford a house, all real estate is crazy here, everything is half a mil+ and going up.[/quote]

I hear that. I was visiting a friend out in San Francisco a few months back. Minimum wage there is roughly $9/hr.

But to live in San Fran on $9/hr? Have fun living under a bridge.

[quote name='ispeshaled']I hear that. I was visiting a friend out in San Francisco a few months back. Minimum wage there is roughly $9/hr.

But to live in San Fran on $9/hr? Have fun living under a bridge.[/QUOTE]
yeah, pretty much

It really does help if you have a friend that can hook you up with the job.Makes everything much much much easier.Ask your friends if they can hook you up even if it is a "lame" job since you barely are starting out.

[quote name='hec204']Not really, $8.00 is barely enough to keep you living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the poorest parts in california, you would need $30+ to actually afford a house, all real estate is crazy here, everything is half a mil+ and going up.[/quote]

Truth.

Our minimum wage in WA I believe is the highest in the nation at $8.07. But, depending on where you live, shit ain't cheap.

[quote name='strdr4']get a job at a grocery store i.e Vons/Ralphs etc. It's a good place to get work experience.[/quote]
What should I put as work experience in my apps? Do I just leave it blank?

[quote name='hec204']What should I put as work experience in my apps? Do I just leave it blank?[/quote]
yeah sure. They're always looking and just as long as you're a competent hard worker, you'll get accepted. Just make sure you dress up as appearence is everything in your first job.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Why are you so dead set on retail, OP?[/quote] Because that's pretty much all I can get right? or am I wrong, where else should I look around?

[quote name='Maklershed']Dont use crayons.[/quote] *Uses colored pencils in rainbow colors*

[quote name='strdr4']yeah sure. They're always looking and just as long as you're a competent hard worker, you'll get accepted. Just make sure you dress up as appearence is everything in your first job.[/quote]
How dressed up? Formal as in a black pants? Or just casual as I usually dress.

[quote name='hec204']Because that's pretty much all I can get right? or am I wrong, where else should I look around?[/QUOTE]Did you somehow miss every post in here about refereeing?

Lifeguarding also pays well.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Did you somehow miss every post in here about refereeing?

Lifeguarding also pays well.[/QUOTE]

Liquid no one wants that shitty job.

[quote name='hec204']Because that's pretty much all I can get right? or am I wrong, where else should I look around?[/quote]

Are you in a major city or close enough that gas is (relatively) negligible and know someone who works in an office dept (preferably one that is in an industry you think you might be interested in having as a career? Maybe you could get a job as a gopher. You'll be treated just as a well (if not better than) as a menial secretary but you get to glimpse inside the working world. It's also a nice way to network early for internships. You might also consider working as a golf caddie at a nearby golf club. They get pretty good tips (at least back when I was one) especially if it's some fancy bigwig.

[quote name='Magehart']
Just like in fishing you must cast a wide net. So fill out like 20 apps.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, two isn't enough if you really want to land a job. Like somebody said having someone that already works there to put in a word for you can make a big difference (but is certainly no guarantee), so if you don't have that inside track at a place or two just put in a lot of applications all over.

And don't sweat not having work experience. You're young and everyone needs a first job. When you say you don't really have work experience does that mean you've made money baby sitting or something? I definitely wouldn't put down stuff that you've only been paid for by relatives (mowing your parents lawn for example.) But I'm no resume expert or anything. :)

I would recommend a deli or even some type of ice cream shop to get your feet wet atleast. My first job was at a deli/caterer and I worked there for 5 years, really helped me establish a strong work ethic and an appreciation for the work world and I also made some good contacts.

And I always dress up for my interviews, and I have always been hired and never fired/layed off from a job. (Dress up=nice slacks and a button up shirt, even khakis work, and a decent pair of shoes)

If you don't have any previous work experience, try putting down school activities or clubs you were/are involved in, you can always lie a little...I always put down that I am an assistant scoutmaster because it looks good even though I haven't been to a meeting in years, which I should actually start doing. (Community Service clubs in HS also look good.)

So as not to upset any more old men that have nothing better to do with themselves, I'll give you a serious response. :lol:

Since you want to work in retail, why not Target? I used to work there and they have quite flexible hours, and I have several friends that went on to become store managers. They have a decent internship program, and if you want to, you can work nights and avoid people! And isn't that the ideal way to work retail? The pay was reasonable, and they gave you raises at a pretty good rate too. I know every Target is not the same, but that was my experience. If you stick with it though, just make sure you don't end up getting saddled with the Logistics team lead position. If that happens you will hate your life.

[quote name='hec204']

Heres a few questions I had about jobs at my age(17)
How do I keep my job?
[/quote]

Being that you are 17 and your parents still clam you as a depended on there taxes you pay little to know taxes and are very likely to get cash back each from the IRS.

A nice buttoned shirt and form fitting jeans/dress pants is all you need.

How do I keep my job?

Show up on time and do your job...thats about it. Also helps if your not drunk/high at work or sexual assaulting your fellow employees.

As for jobs if you are a young male and plan on going off to collage - work at a restaurant! Not McDonald's or some shitty chain like Red Robins. Get a job as a cook at a popular hip pub, pizza joint or Bistro. On top of learning how to cook there is a constant supply of young women that will work for a few months and move on(CheapyD complained about not getting laid in HS, if he worked as a cook in HS he would have). Also no matter where you go in the world you could get a part time job cooking to support yourself in collage or what ever.

bread's done
Back