I need a new car. Recommendations?

Chris in Cali

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (88%)
I had a bad leg injury in March 2006, and couldn't walk for about two months, then went through another two months of rehab. I wanted to get myself something nice to make me feel good again after what I had gone through. I bought a Hummer H3 in August 2006, and year later I've decided that it's just not what I need. The back seats are incredibly uncomfortable nor do they fold flat, they suck for long road trips. It sucks up gas, more than the estimated MPG that it's supposed to be getting. It has a very rough ride because of the large off-road tires, and the engine is quiet underpowered at just 3.5 liter I-5 engine for a 5000 pound vehicle.

MEANDHUMMER.jpg

It's not all bad, you feel insanely safe in it, I think it looks nice and I get a lot of compliments on it from the local white trash So Cal girls, it has an excellent sound system, and is amazing off-road. I'm looking for something more practicle. I want comfortable seats, a smooth ride, better gas mileage, and obviously I want it to be dependable. I'm mainly looking for a mid-size SUV, maybe a car in the $23,000-$30,000 range. The models I've been considering are....

2008 Ford Escape
2007 Toyota 4Runner
2007 Nissan Altima
2007 Chevy Avalanche

One thing that's huge for me is comfort, the H3's seats just suck, and I'm sick of being uncomfortable on long drives. There is also a lot of wind/road nosie, I want something that glides along the road.

if you are looking at suv style cars, the saturn outlook is reasonably priced, decent on gas for the style car it is, confortable to sit in, and saturn auto are excellent at low cost/min maintenance needed.

I am a tall person and my legs just don't fit in any toyota...the chevy model you are looking at is fucking horrible on gas

Currenly I have been looking at suv style cars and it has come down to the honda pilot, the saturn outlook, or the mazda cx 9 series that just came out...I have looked at the toyota, gmc, chevy, chrysler, and ford's models and did't really like any of them for one reason or another...I do still plan at looking at what accura, mitsubishi, jeep and nissan have to offer.

From what I have looked at the outlook has it on gas and dependability...the mazda cx 9 has it on the smooth ride though

IMO hybrids financially aren't worth it at this time. You pay a lot more up front for the car and in the case of the highlander it is roughly $8k more for the hybrid model. For roughly 8 - 10 mpg. The other issue with hybrids is the battery life/cost to replace it

Like Cochese said, Jeep has the lifetime powertrain warranty on new vehicles. I realize you want comfort, so something like a Grand Cherokee may be more for you, but if you REALLY want fun, get one of the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors. They're improved over the previous generation, plus the new unlimited adds the extra set of doors. You're in California, so you would have great weather to take the top and doors off and go have a great time. The GC is also good, but doesn't have the image the Wrangler does.

Go test drive a range rover. They have incredibly smooth quiet rides and are really comfortable. The LR3 has a V8 and is pretty big on the inside plus everything folds down. Don't know about the gas mileage compared to the hummer though. Anything smaller then an lr3 feels like a compact suv. I think they may have new style models out for 08 though.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Go test drive a range rover. They have incredibly smooth quiet rides and are really comfortable. The LR3 has a V8 and is pretty big on the inside plus everything folds down. Don't know about the gas mileage compared to the hummer though. Anything smaller then an lr3 feels like a compact suv. I think they may have new style models out for 08 though.[/QUOTE]

Uh, the Range Rover is almost 2 times as much as he wanted to spend, not to mention the numerous electrical problems that seem to plague all Land Rovers (save the D-90)

Also, OP, another great choice would be a new LX body (300/Magnum/Charger) car from Chrysler Corp. These vehicles are GREAT for long road trips and are also very comfortable. Again, if you buy a new one, you can qualify for the lifetime powertrain warranty. The Charger R/T with the 5.7 litre Hemi V8 (340 hp/ 390 lbft) can be had for about $30k. These cars are based on last gen Mercedes Benz tech, but with domestic repair costs. Stay away from the 2.7 litre V6 base models, though. They're very underpowered (only 190 hp) and you get almost the same mileage from the next step up, the 3.5 V6 (250 hp/ 250 lbft). All the variants should at the minimum get about 24 mpg combined city and highway. My dad has a Magnum and loves it.

i am one of the few that like the dodge nitro design and have been overly pleased with it so far. i bought it for a daily driver and enjoyed driving it on road trips very comfortable up front never really used rear seats...the third rear seat is pointless tho.

will be trading it in tho for a magnum in the spring.

I got an Xterra about a year ago. White like your beautiful H3. I love it. The seats fold in to make a flatbed, roomy as hell. I'd say it rides pretty smooth. It even has a trunk compartment thats works as a cooler. On the hottest days I've grabbed water bottles out of it and they were still cool. If you're going to be going offroad I recommend looking into one among your current choices. My Dad showed a lot of interest in one too but he ended up getting a Durango.

I really like the new 4Runners, I kinda like the rugged look of the old ones better though. I don't think you'd like the Avalanche after awhile. I looked into getting a Ridgeline and it too has a half bed. With a half bed you'll probably either wish it wasn't there or wish it was bigger. If you need the cargo space you might as well get a real truck. I think Escapes are pretty decent cars too, my friend has one though everyone thinks she has an Xterra cause its yellow and it really does look like it sometihng between an Xterra and a Pathfinder. If you don't need a big car, absolutely get the Altima.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I love it. My husband, who is 6'2" also finds it comfortable, and we have the Laredo, which come Sept. when the new line rolls out, you can get 2007s dirt cheap. We have the six cylinder, 4.0L engine, and the power is fine, even with all four of us in the car and the amazing amount of crappe that comes with kids.

This last week I rented a Trailblazer for work, and while I was pleased with the comfort level and head room, I was NOT pleased at all with the power. Even with just me and my suitcase in the car--that's it, nothing else--I didn't have the get up and go in this brand new car my six year old Jeep has.

I also second trying out the new Wranglers. I think they're made for Cali.

I can't say enough good stuff about the MDX. I've had mine for just under 2 years and I LOVE it. It is an extremely comfortable ride and hasn't given me any trouble at all. Plus, it's rated as one of the safest SUVs out there. I got it all decked out with the navigation, DVD player, leather, voice control, blue tooth, etc. and it was worth every penny.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']but if you REALLY want fun, get one of the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 doors. They're improved over the previous generation, plus the new unlimited adds the extra set of doors. You're in California, so you would have great weather to take the top and doors off and go have a great time. The GC is also good, but doesn't have the image the Wrangler does.[/quote]

Eff that. The new powertrain (which sucks) and the larger wheelbase makes the new jeeps a PoS.

What you really want is the last gen Rubicons. Those are fucking champs. Get the Sahara w/ ragtop and you'll be pimpin.

If you're buying new i'm a big fan of the Avalanche. It's like a Hummer with more balls.

[quote name='Magehart']Eff that. The new powertrain (which sucks) and the larger wheelbase makes the new jeeps a PoS.

What you really want is the last gen Rubicons. Those are fucking champs. Get the Sahara w/ ragtop and you'll be pimpin.

If you're buying new i'm a big fan of the Avalanche. It's like a Hummer with more balls.[/QUOTE]

Larger wheelbase holds up fine for offroading - it's only two inches comparatively. They've been making LWB Jeeps for years in Colorado. Rubicons are overpriced, you could get an X model, throw some ARB air lockers in some Dana 44s/60s and be under that premium. Love the new seating for the JKs, much better than the TJs.

I personally like the looks of the FJ Cruiser.

Just go with the box ;) Scion xB. Dirt cheap, LOTS of room inside.

I'm not really a big fan of small SUV's. They seem to have less room than some sedans...I guess you just sit up higher, that is about it.

[quote name='doubledown']I personally like the looks of the FJ Cruiser.

Just go with the box ;) Scion xB. Dirt cheap, LOTS of room inside.

I'm not really a big fan of small SUV's. They seem to have less room than some sedans...I guess you just sit up higher, that is about it.[/quote]
The new xBs look a bit different. Less box-like.

2008_scion_xb_xd-thumb.jpg

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Uh, the Range Rover is almost 2 times as much as he wanted to spend, not to mention the numerous electrical problems that seem to plague all Land Rovers (save the D-90)

Also, OP, another great choice would be a new LX body (300/Magnum/Charger) car from Chrysler Corp. These vehicles are GREAT for long road trips and are also very comfortable. Again, if you buy a new one, you can qualify for the lifetime powertrain warranty. The Charger R/T with the 5.7 litre Hemi V8 (340 hp/ 390 lbft) can be had for about $30k. These cars are based on last gen Mercedes Benz tech, but with domestic repair costs. Stay away from the 2.7 litre V6 base models, though. They're very underpowered (only 190 hp) and you get almost the same mileage from the next step up, the 3.5 V6 (250 hp/ 250 lbft). All the variants should at the minimum get about 24 mpg combined city and highway. My dad has a Magnum and loves it.[/QUOTE]

I never knew Daimer Chrysler interchanged their Mercedes tech with their Dodge products. Have they done this with any of their other cars?

I've fallen in love with my Ford 500 (now the Taurus). Very large, very comfortable, very well equipped and surprisingly well powered.

I'll be the first to admit its not sexy.. but I've never worried about that.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper'] Also, OP, another great choice would be a new LX body (300/Magnum/Charger) car from Chrysler Corp. These vehicles are GREAT for long road trips and are also very comfortable. Again, if you buy a new one, you can qualify for the lifetime powertrain warranty. The Charger R/T with the 5.7 litre Hemi V8 (340 hp/ 390 lbft) can be had for about $30k. These cars are based on last gen Mercedes Benz tech, but with domestic repair costs. Stay away from the 2.7 litre V6 base models, though. They're very underpowered (only 190 hp) and you get almost the same mileage from the next step up, the 3.5 V6 (250 hp/ 250 lbft). All the variants should at the minimum get about 24 mpg combined city and highway. My dad has a Magnum and loves it.[/QUOTE]

With Chrysler just being bought out, you'd be insane to buy a new vehicle from them right now.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']
With Chrysler just being bought out, you'd be insane to buy a new vehicle from them right now.[/QUOTE]

I'll strongly contest that. Mercedes still has "ownership" of the company until the endless red tape of the European Union finally gets cut through. Cerebrus has publicly stated their desire to return Chrysler Corp. to profitability. All the trouble started several years after the merger when "zee Germans" were appalled that "lowly" Chrysler was making more than their high end baby, Mercedes. If you study the deal, you find that Mercedes really zapped a lot from Chrysler in an attempt to cover their own quality issues and then when MB was back on track, Chrysler was having problems. The German shareholders revolted and that's how this whole sale was started.

Cerebrus has rehired Wolfgang Bernhard, the CEO responsible for the $1.3 billion profit that the Chrysler group accomplished in 2004-2005/6 before he left to take a higher paying job at VW (Where he was ousted because the Porsche folks didn't care for him). He's a certifiable car nut, unlike the run of the mill bean counters that seemed to dominate the auto industry (namely the American sector) for the longest time.

Tom Gale has also been brought back as an "advisor" to the design department. Gale had been with Chrysler for over 30 years as a designer. He was responsible for the Caravan/Town & Country, Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, LH cars (300M, Stratus, Cirrus, Breeze, Sebring), and the last project of his was the LX cars (300/Charger/Magnum) before his retirement.

Other positive signs include that Cerebrus is a privately owned company. This is the last type of company the UAW wants to pick a fight with. If they don't give to concessions and strike, Cerebrus will not be afraid to fire them all and hire non-unionized workers at a lower cost, unlike Ford and GM. It seems to me that Cerebrus is determined to turn Chrysler back into the financial leader it was before the MB fiasco. The rehiring of certain executives and the addition of this warranty instead of the massive cash incentives just seem to make sense.

As for strayfoxx, the LX body cars use the previous generation Mercedes E-Class sedan as their basis for architecture. This was how Chrysler was able to get out a higher performing RWD sedan before Ford or the General. It's also the reason the 300 is still ranked higher than other comparable American sedans (read: 500, Crown Victoria, Impala, Lucerne, etc) The Crossfire is American styled sheetmetal over the last generation SLK roadster internals. The Dodge Sprinter van is a rebadged Mercedes van from Europe, etc. Chrysler, however, supplies things like the engines (except in the Crossfire), which are less finicky and are more durable than their Teutonic counterparts (save the diesel motors in the Grand Cherokee CRD, Liberty CRD, and Sprinter).

bread's done
Back