I need a TV - suggestions?

MrCleanHead

CAGiversary!
Hi all,

I have been searching for a new TV. Reading all the reviews on these 2012 TV's and not many mention how gaming is on them. I'm going from a Mits 73" 3D dlp (great TV, the x took it), now on a 36" RCA Tube that had an awesome pic but no HDMI inputs. I have a PS3, xbox and xbox 360. I dont watch to many movies, just basic cable but do game a lot. LMK what your guys think. As of now Im leaning toward the Panasonic TC-P55GT50, just dont know about plasma burn in. I dont think its an issue on the newer Plasma's.

Thanks!

You could probably get a Samsung LCD for less than that plasma on Amazon. Probably no tax and free shipping too. The shipping company they use (or at least the one that sent me mine 5 years ago) was great. They cracked the box open in the garage enough to plug the TV in and make sure it even turned on before getting a signature.

[quote name='MrCleanHead'] I dont think its an issue on the newer Plasma's.
[/QUOTE]
It's a much less severe issue than it has been in the past, but you still wouldn't want to watch 10 letterbox films in a row or leave a cable news channel on all day.

A few questions to answer:

1) What's your budget to spend on the set?
2) How far will you be sitting from the set?

First question answers what your options would be for price, second would be on how big of a set you should be looking at.

Since you had a 73" DLP, most likely the TV is quite a bit away from where you're sitting, most likely 12-16' on a guess.

I really dont have a buget but dont feel like spending $2k+. I sit (currently and when I had the 73") approx 8' away, a little close I know. I can rearrange thew room so that I will sit approx 13' but will probably keep it the way it is due where the cables are coming in.

I recently went up to best buy and hhgregg and the LCD's and LED's started giving me motion sickness after watching them for a few min. It could have been that there were so many tv's going at once or thier signal but everything seemed so choppy. I didnt notice it on the plasma's.

8' would have a 40"-47" be the "preferred" sizes for that distance. If you move it back to about 13' from where you'd be sitting, you could go up to as big as 55"-60".

You should have some idea about a budget, so you can figure out what works for the price you have to work with. $2K and under does work as a budget.

Do realize that most sets at the 40"+ sizes end up being 3D on the middle-to-higher end of TVs, though not all of them are.

I've had LCD sets and LED-lit sets for years, never caused me motion issues. I'd assume it's the display they have up there, as there's a lot of TVs going in a retail stores.

In the size ranges that make sense for your room layout, either plasma or LCD/LED would work for your TV options. Plasma and LCD have different strengths and weaknesses, so there's a lot to choose from.

My personal preferences on brands for LCD/LED would be LG, Samsung and Sony for mid-to-upper sets, with Vizio being a good option for a less-expensive set. Panasonic and Samsung would be good options for plasma as well.

I have last years version of this TV, and it is a Phenominal TV...I cannot recommend it enough. Only difference between mine and this are the internet apps I don't have (or need).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+51%26%2334%3B+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4846783.p?id=1218551143252&skuId=4846783

The 3D is a gimmick, and I hardly use it except for 3D Blu-Rays. But for the price, they might as well just throw it in there. It is crisp and clear and no burn in, even after several marathon RPG games with static images. I'm redoing the formal living room in my house next year at tax time, and I will probably buy another one for there.

I was thinking that the motion sickness could be from the fact that they probably had the smoothing on or whatever they call it, giving it that soap opera effect, makes everything look like video instead of film.

bread's done
Back