I need any deals on DUAL LAYER DVD MEDIA

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
I saw a topic the other day requesting deals on regular DVD-R's and it reminded me that with my new PC comming, I'm going to need some DUAL LAYER MEDIA, I took a quick look around and saw that the average price was like 7$ per disc!!!!! There is no fucking way it costs 7$ to make a disc. I must be looking in the wrong places. I see no logical reason why dual layer discs cost 7$ while single layer costs pennies.

Anyways.... I REALLY NEED HELP FINDING DUAL LAYER DVD-R'S FOR CHEAP.

Any help is greatly appreciated, either B&M deals or online deals are perfectly fine. I just need something cheap and fairly reliable.

Good luck on that one; new recordable media is always incredibly expensive when it first becomes available. CD-Rs used to cost more than that, so count yourself lucky.

[quote name='swick']Good luck on that one; new recordable media is always incredibly expensive when it first becomes available. CD-Rs used to cost more than that, so count yourself lucky.[/quote]

I don't remember CD-R's costing that much, but thanks for the bump :)

best deal i have ever seen is like $4 a disc after rebates, they're simply not worth it right now

your best bet is using dvd shrink and nero if you are backing up any of your movies and just getting some 8x single layer disc which is commonly found at $20 a 50 pack nowadays for a good brand like memorex or fuji

Dual layer media is still relatively new. Advances in hardware outstripped advances in media, so we have to wait for DL media to come down in price (just as with all media). I remember when blank 4X DVDs couldn't be had for less than $2 a disc, and that wasn't too long ago. Hopefully that means we won't have to wait long on DL media.

I know that NewEgg has a 5 pack of DL media for $30, which is about the best I've seen online sadly.

The reason DL media is so expensive is because they haven't been released in spindles yet, they still come in jewel cases. That significantly jacks up the price for any media. Anyway, Ritek discs seem to be the cheapest at the moment for a little less than $6 per disc. The Ritek 5-pack seems to offer the most savings. Here are 3 online stores that I have bought from in the past (they all have about the same price, so it comes down to finding the one that has the cheapest shipping to you):

1. Meritline.com
2. Blank-CD-CDR.com
3. SuperMediaStore.com

I'm checking these sites on a weekly basis for when the spindles appear or if the price comes down to $2-3 per disc.

Just found another site in that DVD-R thread, but I've never bought from them before (same prices as other stores I listed, though):

a. AllMediaOutlet.com

If you're using DVDs for backup, then just get some single layer discs. You'll save money and get the job done.

Just be glad you don't have to use floppy disks or even ZIP disks.. o_O

I'm thinking that the prices are high because the MPAA doesn't want you to easily do dvd to dvd copies without having to compress it or anyting. :evil: But I could be wrong though too.

That, and until really recently, Verbatim has had the monopoly on disks and is enjoying the fat profit off of the disks it is selling.

I saw something a few weeks ago from a CNN analyst that the price may never get reasonable as DVD-DL's may be replaced with the blu-rays and other formats real soon.

I bought a DVD-DL when they came out in May and have yet to burn a DL disk. I got one of the Verbatim 3-packs for $15 AR from Amazon a month ago.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I'm pretty much screwed for the time being which sucks. I really wanted to back up a lot of my movies, but I refuse to compress or cut stuff out.

Hopefully prices will be reasonable in a few months.

bread's done
Back