I need Help!!! I'm building a computer.

Xtreme331

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I need help! Probably of the professional kind, but we'll leave that for another forum post. I have decided that I want to build a computer. This has been something I've wanted to do for several years but have never followed through on. I've done a bit of research so I'm not totally flying blind here, but I'm also no expert in the area. My laptop has started to show its age and I'm going to keep it for school use but no longer for gaming purposes.

Here's what I'm shooting for in this computer: A computer that I can use for gaming and multi-media purposes. A computer that I can hook up to my new 56" HDTV and play games in beautiful surround sound. This second computer is going to be mostly fun-focused. I have a pretty tight budget (trying to stay under $800) but so far I think I've built a pretty decent computer. I don't need a monitor, keyboard or a mouse, as I have that taken care of already.

Please take a look and tell me what you think so far. I welcome any and all input.

Case, Motherboard, and Power Supply (ASUS P5GZ-MX Intel Socket 775 Ultra Barebone / MicroATX-Tower Case with a 400 Watt Power Supply)

Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz)

RAM (WINTEC 2GB DDR2 667 - PC2 5300)

Hard Drive (Western Digital 400GB)

DVD Burner (LITE-ON DVD+/- RW DL)

Operating System (Windows XP Pro OEM - I'm not interested in Vista currently)

Wireless Networking Card (Zonet PCI Wireless Adapter - since the computer will be away from the router)

So far the running total is around $630-ish.

All I think I'm missing now is a video card. I don't plan to go all out with one, just something that'll work well for under $200 (and doesn't require more than 400W).

So, what am I missing? What do you all think of my configuration of parts? PLEASE throw your $0.02 in. Thank you all.

I hope you're planning on gaming at 640x480... because you won't be doing much gaming with that set-up.

You can do a lot better then that for $800. I built my system for $1000 a year ago (meaning everything: CPU, mobo, ram, video card, sound card, 320GB HD, case, keyboard, and mouse) and I'm playing FEAR nearly maxed out at 1650x1050 which is above 720p, near 1080p.

There's been way too many 'help me' threads here recently. I'm too lazy to help now... maybe someone else can do it.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']I hope you're planning on gaming at 640x480... because you won't be doing much gaming with that set-up.

You can do a lot better then that for $800. I built my system for $1000 a year ago (meaning everything: CPU, mobo, ram, video card, sound card, 320GB HD, case, keyboard, and mouse) and I'm playing FEAR nearly maxed out at 1650x1050 which is above 720p, near 1080p.

There's been way too many 'help me' threads here recently. I'm too lazy to help now... maybe someone else can do it.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks for your "help" asshat. Way to take the time to post how great your system is and what an uber l337 gaymer you are, all the while completely ignoring anything I posted. You can now rest assured that contributions such as yours make this website truly great. I'm sure your spirit of friendship and helpfulness is one that CheapyD had in mind when he started CAG long long ago.

OH yes. I LOVE to game at 640x480. Which is why I SAID THAT I HAD YET TO PICK OUT A VIDEO CARD. Honestly, I don't know why I waste my time.

Your signature obviously describes you very well.

[quote name='Xtreme331']Wow. Thanks for your "help" asshat. Way to take the time to post how great your system is and what an uber l337 gaymer you are, all the while completely ignoring anything I posted. You can now rest assured that contributions such as yours make this website truly great. I'm sure your spirit of friendship and helpfulness is one that CheapyD had in mind when he started CAG long long ago.

OH yes. I LOVE to game at 640x480. Which is why I SAID THAT I HAD YET TO PICK OUT A VIDEO CARD. Honestly, I don't know why I waste my time.

Your signature obviously describes you very well.[/QUOTE]

I was just trying to be nice in saying that you could do a lot better... I was just messing around. I only told you about my system just to let you know it was possible, not to make you set you off on a verbal rampage.

bread's done
Back