I need some advice about a job interview

Soujiro_Seta

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I was searching online and I couldnt find anything that particularly helps with my situation. So I figured I'd come here and see if you guys can help me out.

Anyway I have a rather big gap in my employment history since I graduated from college 2 years ago I haven't had a job so it's basically a 2 year employment gap. But for about 1 year I was recovering from a brain injury/infection, I honestly don't know how to categorize it. During the phone interview they did mention my employment gap so I figure it might come up at the in person interview. So my question is should I talk about my illness to explain part of the gap? Or should I think of a way to avoid mentioning it? I'm leaning toward mentioning it and letting things play out that way. Any advice? Thanks guys.

I'd definitely mention it man! It's a completely excusable reason. The interviewer is basically wanting to know if you're lazy or have no drive. If you say you had whatever you have, they'll instantly be taken aback and won't even worry about it.

Good luck man!

I would absolutely tell them that you had a medical issue, and while not going into the gory details I would make clear that it was a brain injury and not a mental disorder (brain infection sounds good), and that you're 100% cured now with no potential for problems down the road. You might also want to mention how motivated you are to get back into the game, so that you don't appear lazy.

You don't have to go out of your way to bring it up because they will ask.

[quote name='rumblebear']give more details about the brain injury, otherwise we might assume the worst.[/QUOTE]

Well I lost basically all my motor functions for awhile. I couldn't walk, or write and could barely talk. I went to rehab for a bit. But I'm fine now.

Anyway I got the job thanks for the advice guys!

Might we inquire what you were doing for the other year? You mentioned there's a 2 year gap and one was spent recovering. Were you looking for jobs/still recovering or bumming around? If you were doing anything non-productive I would NOT bring that up, you could just say you were recovering from your injury for 1 1/2 years and looking for a job for 6 months.

If you were just being lazy I might suggest you do some volunteer work. I was out of work for 4/5 months so I volunteered at an after school tutoring program. It was only 1 hour a week but it really looks good on a resume. I'm thinking it might actually be why I landed a GREAT internship this summer. Another bonus of doing volunteer work is if you are a productive and helpful team member your volunteer boss will be a good recommendation.

edit: nevermind seeing as you already got the job. But hey for you other unemployed lazy people go out and do some volunteer work for the reasons I mentioned!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back