I need some advice

NamelessMC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Anyway, I don't want this to be a controversial topic, so please don't bring up religious or political views into this. I'm very serious about this topic, so I don't want the mods to have to lock it because someone starts talking about religion.

I could use some advice on activities.

My cousin passed away last week. We grew up together, played together, went to high school together. It was rather sudden. Anyway, I feel like I'm through the worst part of it, but the problem is, prior to his death I spent a lot of free time doing nothing.

Now, when I sit around doing nothing, I start to feel really empty. I could use some advice about ways to occupy my time.

What I have so far:
I work 30 hours a week at a minimum, but I have anywhere from 2-4 days off a week and my shifts only cover about 4-6 hours a day. Before and after work, the ways I occupy my time so far:
I play games, obviously. But I can't really sit around playing games for 4 hours straight because I start to get photophobia and the lights of my LCD TV hurt my eyes.
I work out and train at an MMA camp, but my muscle recovery isn't back to what it used to be yet, so I can only train 3 days a week before my body will have negative results from the training, I have to recover my muscles for at least 3 days.
I watch a TV show every week - The Ultimate Fighter. Other than that, nothing on TV really interests me. I used to watch CSI really late at night on Spike TV because it's a decent show and I would watch it to have white noise while I fall asleep. I watch MMA events religiously, but those are only once a month or sometimes 2-3 a month, but they're usually on Saturdays or Fridays.
I started picking up anime again. Shakugan No Shana is a show I watched, and I'm watching the second season of it, but Naruto really REALLY disappoints me and Bleach is ongoing. I prefer anime where it comes out in bursts and I can watch a lot of episodes at once. I don't like relationship/love anime.

Other than that, I don't really know. Maybe people could let me in on some fun stuff they do to preoccupy their time but be somewhat productive or not wasting time, that I don't know about. I'm going back to school in the summer, but I still need recreational activities to fill my time.

Try participating in some sports, or maybe "sports spectating"; go out to some baseball games or the like.

Try and hang out with friends when you can. Movies, amusement parks, the world is open to you.

Raid your library and find some interesting books.

You need Jesus. Go to church. Or drink more, man, I dunno what I'm doing from one day to the next, what the hell am I helping you out for?

Ditch the Anime, get yerself a woman/man/flesh-light, have lots and lots of skanky sex and poopulate the world with yer seed.

Volunteer at a children's hospital once a week or something. Do something that will HELP people. You don't have to do it everyday. Even if you do it once a month that's something.

Yeah, because nothing makes you feel better than looking at a bunch of sick fucked up little kids that are going to die soon.

Get over it. See a psychiatrist, she'll tell you that your life is fine as it is, but she'll give you activities that you can do. You can try sports/volunteering or whatever, but do it because you want to, not because you're afraid you're going to die with regrets. That's not healthy.

While you're on the path of self enlightenment, why not try to save the world, end hunger, cure a disease. You know... help others?

Make sure you're doing this because you want to. There's nothing wrong with living a self proficient life. People get high off of doing different things.

And I'm not talking about watching a different kind of anime or rearranging your room... But that seems like it might help someone in your situation.

personally, I put on the tv for background noise while I play games online. I read a lot. I also just started up my own business with Avon (no jokes please, I cant find any other job since I was laid off from working at an ebay drop off store) so that has kept me busy learning more about all the products, and setting up my website for sales. :D

When I have problems I usually focus on Judo and BJJ.

You already do MMA and you said you need recovery time.

Maybe try some light drilling, etc. Even just going for a run can help clear your mind. I find I do best when I'm physically spent.

i would say get into playing music, if you aren't

i would say acoustic guitar or piano

if you already play music, jam with friends

or photography

[quote name='JimmieMac']Yeah, because nothing makes you feel better than looking at a bunch of sick fucked up little kids that are going to die soon.[/quote]

Not all of them are going to die. And why not help ease their pain by making them happier in their final days by reading to them and playing with them when their parents can't be there? Parents can't be with them 24/7(especially if a parent is single, money doesn't make itself and medical bills certainly don't pay themselves either) so it's nice when people volunteer to help keep the kids occupied.

Do some yard work, clean the house, wash cars, practice on a pogo stick, or play tennis, play the stock market, go across the net and get into arguements with crippled people who only joy they have is text messaging while running:bouncy:

Do something productive. If you are interested in wood or metal work try that, Hangout with your friends, try and get into a relationship, and read.

I personally read, hang out w/ friends or the gf, shoot hoops (great thinking time), rent a movie every Friday night, and go have fun saturday night. one of my favorite things to do is bring a lawn chair to a quiet area (like the park) to watch the sunset and think about your life state.

Maybe pick up a new hobby? About 3 years ago I started building arcade cabinets and I LOVE it. I spend what little free time I have designing and building them and it takes forever to make one so it's definitely a time killer. Plus, when I'm done there's a coolness factor to it and there is something tangible for my efforts.

[quote name='javeryh']Maybe pick up a new hobby? About 3 years ago I started building arcade cabinets and I LOVE it. I spend what little free time I have designing and building them and it takes forever to make one so it's definitely a time killer. Plus, when I'm done there's a coolness factor to it and there is something tangible for my efforts.[/quote]

This. Such a traumatic event can't be erased completely from one's damaged psyche. Best one can hope for is that the mental wound will eventually fade after a time.

[quote name='Redie']Do some yard work, clean the house, wash cars, practice on a pogo stick, or play tennis, play the stock market, go across the net and get into arguements with crippled people who only joy they have is text messaging while running:bouncy:[/quote]

I think I'm going to mix this with everything else said. Well everything but the part about playing guitar for dying kids. That's... Not really my cup of tea.

I have a lot of backed up cleaning I need to take care of.

bread's done
Back