I need some Fantasy Baseball advice

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I play in a keeper league. We get to keep 4 players year to year but only 3 years in a row max (so the great players keep going back in the pool). Every year a keeper's value goes up 25% in terms of draft picks. For example, a player drafted in the 20th round in Year 1, if kept, becomes a 15th round pick in Year 2. There are only 8 teams in my league so everyone's roster is pretty stacked.

I am debating on keeping the following players (draft pick is in parentheses)

A-Roid (1)
M. Ordonez (7)
N. McLouth (8)
J. Dye (15)

Cl. Lee (8)
J. Shields (10)

Only A-Rod is a definite. I'm leaning towards Dye since a 15th round pick is fairly low and his projected value is a 10th round pick but after that, I don't know. What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Cliff Lee should put up good numbers again especially with better run support.

Also Dye should give you some solid ABs.

A-Rod, Dye, Shields, Lee.

OFs are easy the easiest position to replace. You could swap out Dye for McClouth if your worried about steals. However Dye is cheaper pick wise and you know what you'll get with him. McClouth could be a one year wonder.

Caveat: I'm assuming you just start any 3 OFs instead of strict position. If you have to have a CF, I'd go McClouth.

Thanks - we start 3 OFs plus a DH and an IF (which Dye wouldn't be eligible for). Dye is a good value since he doesn't cost much and I expect him to go in the 10th round in my league if he was a free agent. The other guys are valued right around what I'd expect them to go as.

I am worried about McLouth being a one year wonder but he was solid for the entire season and he was drafted 35th overall in the ESPN mock draft (making him a 5th rounder in my league).

Also, does anyone have any late-rounder sleepers with a big upside? To be successful in my league you have to get unknown guys in low rounds and have them break out. For example, in Johan Santana's breakout year (2003?) he was picked in the 20th round. He was then kept for the next 3 seasons at a 15th rounder, 11th rounder, 8th rounder and a 6th rounder winning 2 Cy Young's in there. Obviously it helped that guy in my league tremendously since he was getting a first round guy for way less.

Um as far as sleepers go that's kinda hard to predict. Picking a winning sleeper is like picking the lotto numbers...it's just hard lol. I'm a fantasy addict so here's some of my picks for the 09 MLB season sleepers...

Cameron Maybin (CF, FLA): The guy came up late last year and only had 32 AB's. However, he had 16 hits, 9 runs, 4 stolen bases, and 2 RBI's during that small stint. That's simply incredible at this level. Some scouts have said that he has slowed his progress but his patience at the plate is fantastic. He's the starting fielder this year and has something to prove.

Jeff Clement (C, SEA): Clement was a surprise standout last year trading days with Kojima at the plate. WIth 203 AB's, he had 46 hits, 17 runs, 5 HR's, and 23 RBI's. For a catcher that's not bad at all...think of a poor man's Napoli. The same could be said for Dback's catcher Chris Snyder.

Now, as a DBacks fan, I would say look for break out seasons by Connor Jackson (re-signed to a 1 year deal and is now playing for a big contract next year), Justin Upton (kid has loads of potential and power. If he finds his stride in the box and starts connecting, the ball will go far) and Mark Reynolds (although the strike out leader last year, he took it personally and has been working on it exclusively in the off season. Even so he had 28 HR's and 97 RBI's on a bad offensive team and striking out so muc. Put it this way, when he came up from AA ball a few years ago, nothing was expected of him. He literally stole Chad Tracy's job out from under him and has become our number one third baseman. He's hungry this year.)

Wieters is supposed to be a stud rookie - not sure if he's unkown enough to be a sleeper though.

[quote name='Pck21']Um as far as sleepers go that's kinda hard to predict. Picking a winning sleeper is like picking the lotto numbers...it's just hard lol. I'm a fantasy addict so here's some of my picks for the 09 MLB season sleepers...

Cameron Maybin (CF, FLA): The guy came up late last year and only had 32 AB's. However, he had 16 hits, 9 runs, 4 stolen bases, and 2 RBI's during that small stint. That's simply incredible at this level. Some scouts have said that he has slowed his progress but his patience at the plate is fantastic. He's the starting fielder this year and has something to prove.

Jeff Clement (C, SEA): Clement was a surprise standout last year trading days with Kojima at the plate. WIth 203 AB's, he had 46 hits, 17 runs, 5 HR's, and 23 RBI's. For a catcher that's not bad at all...think of a poor man's Napoli. The same could be said for Dback's catcher Chris Snyder.

Now, as a DBacks fan, I would say look for break out seasons by Connor Jackson (re-signed to a 1 year deal and is now playing for a big contract next year), Justin Upton (kid has loads of potential and power. If he finds his stride in the box and starts connecting, the ball will go far) and Mark Reynolds (although the strike out leader last year, he took it personally and has been working on it exclusively in the off season. Even so he had 28 HR's and 97 RBI's on a bad offensive team and striking out so muc. Put it this way, when he came up from AA ball a few years ago, nothing was expected of him. He literally stole Chad Tracy's job out from under him and has become our number one third baseman. He's hungry this year.)[/quote]

Wow thanks for that. I'm going to look into those guys. I usually try and grab some sleepers with my last 2 picks.

[quote name='jho']Is this a 10 or 12 team league? Lee and Shields look to be keepers to me.[/quote]

It's an 8 team league so the teams are pretty good.

The only advice I can give is to stop playing fantasy baseball. Seriously. I played for over a decade in around 4 leagues per year for 10 years. I lived, slept, breathed, and ate baseball. Then, I got married and quit playing. It's really nice to have a life during the summer again.

Here are some biased Reds fan pick ups you can look into if they are available.

SP - Edison Volquez - stud should stay solid all this year (hopefully)
SP - Johnny Cueto - if his control holds out all year should be good (lots of walks though)
1B - Joey Votto - solid first baseman
2B - Brandon Phillips - finally got that gold glove last year
IF - Jeff Keppinger - all he does his is get hits (might be more of a utility guy unless Alex Gonzalez's knee doesn't hold up)
OF - Jay Bruce - should give some quality ABs
OF - Chris Dickerson - another young outfielder that showed promise as a september call up should get the starting LF job when they break camp.

[quote name='flowery']Here are some biased Reds fan pick ups you can look into if they are available.

SP - Edison Volquez - stud should stay solid all this year (hopefully)
SP - Johnny Cueto - if his control holds out all year should be good (lots of walks though)
1B - Joey Votto - solid first baseman
2B - Brandon Phillips - finally got that gold glove last year
IF - Jeff Keppinger - all he does his is get hits (might be more of a utility guy unless Alex Gonzalez's knee doesn't hold up)
OF - Jay Bruce - should give some quality ABs
OF - Chris Dickerson - another young outfielder that showed promise as a september call up should get the starting LF job when they break camp.[/QUOTE]

Votto and Cueto were the surprise picks last year. A guy in my league picked him up off waivers when he hit his 3 homeruns in a game and went from dead last to about 4th or so the rest of the year. Of course it wasn't JUST because of Votto since his other hitters were struggling early on, but Votto helped him through a few head to head matches over the rest of the season. Phillips was my pick a few years ago and I was surprised at his production, especially for a 2nd baseman. His defense and range have gotten better since that time so take that for what its worth.

OP, what is your projected line up or where are you picking exactly? Like what spots in what round? It's all a numbers game unless you have stupid people in your league that pick guys way ahead of where they're projected to go.

You should keep your eye on both the Matts, Wieters and Joyce, as they should put up some good numbers. Also, possibly one of the Braves young OFs, like Brandon Jones or Josh Anderson.

Have any CAG leagues been started yet? I was in a couple last year, and I won one of them.

[quote name='pacifickarma']The only advice I can give is to stop playing fantasy baseball. Seriously. I played for over a decade in around 4 leagues per year for 10 years. I lived, slept, breathed, and ate baseball. Then, I got married and quit playing. It's really nice to have a life during the summer again.[/QUOTE]

he is married and has kids. I dont think it was ever a problem for JaveryH ;)

Ill stick with Dye at 15. He is sure going to give you some good quality ABs. i havent been doing my research on sleepers but just for fun sakes.

Daniel Murphy! :D

bread's done
Back