I need the help of a CAG who knows about cats

khaos2639

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, here's the story

I have a purebred seal-point himalayan, around 7 yrs old (we don't really know, we adopted him 3 yrs ago from an abused animal shelter.

When we brought him home, his bladder was a perfect little angel, even on his first night, there were no messes :)

After a year or so we moved to a townhouse, and for the entire next year he took it upon himself to make our entire upstairs his own personal litter box. There were actual rooms we wouldn't go into because we couldn't get the smell out. He also took the liberty of peeing on any and all clothes that happened to be on the floor, which made laundry day extra fun!!

Then we moved to a house with all hardwood floors, and for the next year he was back to being an angel again, with the exception of the clothes habit, that stayed.

After a year there, at the beginning of july, we moved into our house, which we love and plan on being at for a long time. For the first 2 or 3 weeks he was fine, we used the Feliway crap to help him out, and he didn't do any naughty business on the floors (still on the clothes tho). Then he started marking the hell out of my office (has carpeting). I have no idea what to do, we clean it up, while the cleanser is working he'll sneak in and pee right next to it, Feliway doesn't work, Stay off training aids don't work, we have no idea what to do to stop his dirty business in this room. And it's not the only room with carpeting, he leaves all the other rooms alone. Also, there hasn't been an animal occupying this home for almost 45 years. That withstanding, my office got stripped down to the concrete before we moved in, and a brand new carpet and pad were installed, so I know it's not that either.

Please help!!!!!

Did you try taking it to a vet to see if maybe he has something wrong with his bladder? My wife(she works at a Vet clinic) says that sometimes when they pee out of their litter box it might be a sign of a Urinary Tract Infection.

You said you got him from an abused animal shelter(good man)it might be a behavioral type thing stemming from the abuse. Either way I would take him to a vet and see what he says if you haven't already.

Can't offer much more but good luck with everything. It's great to see people helping abused animals.

When we got him they said that he did have a urinary tract infection, but from what we've been told that basically causes them to pee randomly whenever they have the urge.

He is almost never in my office, is usually on the other end of the house in our bed sleeping, so he gets up, walks all the way across the house (past the bathroom where his litter box is), down some stairs, pees, then turns around and goes all the way back.

That just doesn't seem to be random whereever he has the urge type behavior, it seems very planned.

But maybe I'm wrong. Don't know, I'm out of idea, that's why I posted here

Also, at first we thought it may be behavioral, but why would he be so good for so long, then be awful, then switch back to good, then all of a sudden be bad again?

I'm so confused :(

You're right, it's not a UTI. Ask your Vet if there's anything that he can do. My wife says it sounds behavioral. If money is an issue find a vet that takes payments. Some will not but there are some good ones out there that will work with you.

I know kids and animals are different but abused kids are good for long stretches and sometimes something little will set them off. Maybe that's what is happening here. Sorry I can't be more helpful :( Hope everything works out in the long run.

It's all attitude from the cat and it sounds like all the movning is the trigger animals like a stable enviroment and well obviously you kept moving and the cat was mad and thats its way of acting out at you....

[quote name='khaos2639']Also, at first we thought it may be behavioral, but why would he be so good for so long, then be awful, then switch back to good, then all of a sudden be bad again?

I'm so confused :([/quote]Other than the first few weeks at your house, it's pretty obvious it's something stemming from the environment. So there may be something triggering the behavior at the two places he's having problems. The vet would be able to tell you if there's physically anything that might be causing it, and if there's nothing wrong there, probably how to get them to stop doing it.

Did you try putting a litterbox in the office?

Did you try closing the door, as was said?

Did you try some kind of makeshift wall to keep the cat out if there is no door?

Are you aware of strays in your neighborhood? Normally males are pretty picky and will spray constantly if they continue to see cats in the area.

Might want to check with the humane society too. I find that they sometimes have more knowledge when it comes to behavior problems based on environment change than most vets do.

I've been having a similar problem, in the sense that my cats are intentionally shitting in the 5 foot area around their litter box for no reason what so ever. I've gone through about 5 types of litter, which hasn't worked. Next week I may try re-arranging the litter box location a bit.

[quote name='Surferflames']Are you aware of strays in your neighborhood? Normally males are pretty picky and will spray constantly if they continue to see cats in the area.

Might want to check with the humane society too. I find that they sometimes have more knowledge when it comes to behavior problems based on environment change than most vets do.

I've been having a similar problem, in the sense that my cats are intentionally shitting in the 5 foot area around their litter box for no reason what so ever. I've gone through about 5 types of litter, which hasn't worked. Next week I may try re-arranging the litter box location a bit.[/quote]New problem or on-going? May want to try multiple litter boxes if you haven't.

We have two, since we have two cats. 2 year old and 1 year old. The problem has been going on for a few months now. I assume they are both doing it, as some days there is just too much for one cat to produce, but I have never actually caught one or the other in the act.

It's strange because they will use the boxes, but it's pretty random whether or not they choose to. I'm guaranteed at least one collective mess to clean up every morning when I wake up, and occasionally throughout the day.

If a cat pisses or craps in the house you grab them by the neck and shove there face in it. After no more than a week they will stop. It's better if they are younger when you do this as I never had to do this with a cat other than a kitten. So before doing that make sure the cat is healthy.

[quote name='Surferflames']
I've been having a similar problem, in the sense that my cats are intentionally shitting in the 5 foot area around their litter box for no reason what so ever. I've gone through about 5 types of litter, which hasn't worked. Next week I may try re-arranging the litter box location a bit.[/QUOTE]

My 4 year old spayed female cat only does this if the litter pan is dirty. She seems happy with the fresh step clumping litter.

Cats don't like change, so maybe your cats were protesting about changing litter brands and moving the box.

[quote name='daria19']My 4 year old spayed female cat only does this if the litter pan is dirty. She seems happy with the fresh step clumping litter. [/QUOTE]

That's usually the case with my cats as well, but recently one of them began pissing and shitting all over the house. A few weeks later, he began howling every time he peed. Then we noticed blood...

Turns out his food (Meow Mix) was crystalizing in his body, and eventually turned into a form of 'sand' in his bladder that would come out every time he whizzed. Onto a new diet, and he's back in the box. It doesn't sound like this is the case with the OP's cat, but definitely have him checked out by a vet just to be sure everything's ok physically.

[quote name='Surferflames']Are you aware of strays in your neighborhood? Normally males are pretty picky and will spray constantly if they continue to see cats in the area.[/quote]

this is accurate...my parents used to have 2 male cats that did not get along and they both sprayed pretty consistently but when the one was killed the other one basically stopped spraying or was rarely spraying

All I know is this, cats are alright, but if they piss on your stuff, you gotta stomp 'em out. Unlike yourself there's no help in therapy, this cat aint gonna change, it's a cat. You pay the bills, you feed it, you keep it from dyin', shits gotta stop.

1. Get one of those hats that you can put beer cans in (you know these?)
beerhelmetcustomer.jpg

2. Attach one straw to the cat's mouth.
3. Attach the other one to the cat's pee hole.
4. ????
5. PROFIT

EDIT: 9000 hours in MSPAINT blueprints
untitledrl5.png

Wow, lots in the past day. As to the numerous requests to kill my cat, fuck off, he's probably my best friend, he follows me around the house, sits whereever I am, hell, he's laying under my computer desk right now.

We don't have strays per se, one of our neighbors has a few cats that they let randomly roam the neighborhood. We're not too keen on that, because they rather enjoy shitting in our yard, so whenever I see them, I grab my BB gun and get them a little present in their ass reigon.

That can't be the issue tho, because where he pees is random locations, but all in the same room, all nearish to the inside wall, so it can't be that he's smelling what's outside, or else he'd be marking the outside wall.

Ok, this is going to sound super weird, unless I'm onto something. Would a male cat at all be marking on top of a female dog (mini-weiner)?

Here's Why
Pee.jpg
pee.jpg

This is quite an endorsement for WI.

Wisconsin, We may not have people here but you'll love the shit outta your cat, maybe more than you should.

Dude, cat pees on the rug. Habitually he crosses and pees over the line. The cat is a habitual line pee-er, he's gotta go. You wouldn't take it if your human friend kept pissin' two inches infront of the TV, so why should you take it from a cat?

If the cat isn't neutered already that's one thing you can try. The other option is to let him spend some time outside, but judging by how he looks I bet you keep him indoors only. If the cat is determined to keep doing it there really isn't much you can do.

i think mrs shipwreck is actually a vet, maybe she could answer some questions for you if you pm her or email the shipwrecks

[quote name='Milkyman']i think mrs shipwreck is actually a vet, maybe she could answer some questions for you if you pm her or email the shipwrecks[/quote]

What he meant to say was:

"I pay attention to what half-assed hangers-on and their wives have to say about video games that nobody cares about and I think I picked up on the fact that she may or my not be some sort of vet or animal lover, if you catch my drift. :Stupid smiley wink face:

bread's done
Back