I need to vent (work related)

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, I was just completely sold out by my boss, as the fall guy for losing a very big account, Mind you I have no input in this account or any say how it is handled, although I do handle other accounts for this client, I very deliberately do not handle this one (the big cheese does). Low and behold it was never renewed, and Its all my fault , I'm still trying to figure how I'm even involved.

On a side note when the whole thing happened, I was on vacation, as well

[quote name='Wombat']On a side note when the whole thing happened, I was on vacation, as well[/QUOTE]

Ah, so you were out having fun while a very big account was going down the tubes? You sound like a good scapegoat to me. :D

No, it blows to get blamed for something you had nothing to do with, but not even an incompetent boss can't keep an annoying sidekick down. We still love you. :D

Here's what I'd do: go to whoever is one step higher than your boss and state your case. you know what this reminds me of? I can totally see Steve Carell's character in "The Office" doing this.

[quote name='Jerichoedge']Here's what I'd do: go to whoever is one step higher than your boss and state your case. you know what this reminds me of? I can totally see Steve Carell's character in "The Office" doing this.[/QUOTE]

She's as high up as it goes, my options are take it or find a new place of employment, anyone hiring?

Are you getting repremanded for this? And she has to report to somebody, otherwise it wouldn't be a problem, right?

[quote name='Wombat']She's as high up as it goes, my options are take it or find a new place of employment, anyone hiring?[/QUOTE]

Wait, so you just end up looking bad to the client right? Or will she really start treating you like it's your fault?

Its all about her saving face, and she gets to treat me like dirt for the remander of the day or longer

welcome to big business

If you are really looking for another job compounded with the fact that she obviously treats you like dirt, then you probably don't give a shit about getting a recommendation from this woman. So you have a few options:

1) Stay, don't say anything, look like a pushover and an idiot.
2) Challenge her statement in a forceful yet politically correct way - in private if need be.
3) Call that bitch out publically and demand evidence / proof that you were the downfall of this account.

And now for something completely different:
4) Punch her in the tit - Add in "TRY AND SAVE FACE NOW, BITCH!" or something to that effect.

I'd make sure that everyone in the place you work knows what she did. It's time to stand by the water cooler...all day long. :)

arent you that annoying guy with cheapy d on pod casts? jk sorry about that man, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet unless you got something else lined up or you could pull a Jerry Maguire and make a scene and walk out

[quote name='Wombat']Its all about her saving face, and she gets to treat me like dirt for the remander of the day or longer

welcome to big business[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like a big deal. Sure I'd be annoyed, but it's not anything to change jobs over. Unless of course you hate your job anyway and just need an excuse to get out. :lol:

Im sure one of us can edit her into one of the R kelly sex tapes to ruin her job if you wanted that, but the option to kill her sounded good too......but thats just me.

Just take it like a man if you want to keep your job. I get yelled at all the time for lots of unreasonable stuff and I just sit there like a pussy because I don't want to lose my job. People suck.

seems as though things have settled, maybe because I was needed for a favor, regardless, I've been flooding the market with resumes for a while now, see no reason to stop, thank you for listening to me rant

I had a similar problem with my second to last job. It was a tech support job. Our company made our own systems inhouse and then shipped them to clients. Clients typically were car dealerships, so the big issue for me was that if someone called and their shit wasn't working, I'd get yelled at for a while because I was costing them sales.

(Coincidentally, my favorite story was a guy calling me on December 26 - yes, December-f*cking-26 - about how his stuff wasn't working, I was costing him $10K/hour, until he finally screamed out "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! IT'S TOYOTATHON!!!!!" at which point I put him on mute and laughed my ass off).

Back to the situation at hand...

I worked Saturday shifts, which essentially meant I was there when no one else was. I usually liked these because it was quiet, I'd sleep half the time and let the machine get the calls, then use the rest of the time to eat lunch, play Gameboy, take a shower (yes), and then finally call people back with assistance. It sounds worse than it really is.

Anyway, a guy calls me, tells me he has a problem. I was kind of new and hadn't heard of this issue, so I told him I'd call him back. I call about 2 other techs at home, get some information, call him back, solve the problem. Absolutely no further issues.

Well, a few days later I guess his hard drive melted or something, because he calls back and says he has another issue. A different tech answers (I was at school that day until my shift, which started at 3PM) and basically tells the guy he's SOL and has to get it sent in, probably giving him about 4-5 days of downtime. The customer ERUPTS in anger, screaming at the guy, demanding to know why he has to put up with this kind of poor service, etc etc etc. To top it off, he screams about how "the tech last Saturday didn't know shit and told me to f*ck off." He then faxes in a 3 page rant talking about how I didn't help him at all, how I told him a number of things I didn't say, how we suck as a company, how he's been a valued customer forever, bla bla bla, etc etc etc.

So I come in at 3PM and my manager says he has to talk to me. He explains the situation to me. I tell him my side of the story and made it clear I did nothing wrong. Regardless, he tells me I have to sign a sheet saying I understand and agree to what I did wrong, that the situation was my fault, and that we had probably lost a customer on my behalf. In addition to all of this nonsense, he told me I could no longer work Saturday shifts, which constituted 7 hours of my 20 hour minimum required hours per week quota.

I told him there's no way I can make the hours up M-F because school comes first. This was the truth - I had a terrible schedule that semester, the only way it would have worked would have been to come in at 6AM-10AM on 2 different days, something I wasn't going to do since work was 30+ minutes from my house and I typically didn't get home until 7-8 at night after classes anyway.

He just shrugged and said "well we can't have you on Saturdays anymore so you need to make it up" and walked out of the room.

Long story short, turned in my two weeks notice the next day, but they let me go the day after (a Friday), something that I didn't mind because the pay wasn't worth two more weeks of that kind of irritation.

Upon speaking with others and my parents, I learned that as an employee, I don't have to agree to shit, and I should have refused to sign the waiver. Good knowledge to know for the future.

To OP, sorry about the circumstances, we've all been there and it sucks. Unless you really think burning bridges is a good idea (and it may well be), the best thing you could do would be to talk to some sort of mediator privately. I don't know if your company allows such things but a number of them should these days, or at least a way to anonymously recommend something off the record.

Yeah, I wouldn't have signed anything.

EDIT: There have been a few posts of similar circumstances, I believe one was at Wal-Mart, in another thread.

wow, yeah, Ive never had to sign a waiver, and I deal with some pretty sensitive materials. but anywhoo, I dont think exclaiming I want a new job is the best thing for tonights cagcast, we have other (better?) things planned, but feel free to PM me with any job offers ;)

umm...the purpose of signing the waiver is to have on file that your employer talked to you about the problem and you understand the issue (not necessarily agree that you are at fault). You should HAVE to sign it. However in any situation don't sign it without first providing written comments to be attached to it or on it. And in a situation like Strell's tell your employeer at that meeting that you expect them to follow up on your side of the story (put it in writing on the write up). By doing this it gives you breathing room and something to go over their heads with.

bread's done
Back