I never would have thought I'd send in my Wii *update* I've played Wii Fitness!

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
But it happened. I had to call Nintendo Customer Service to get a return shipping label for my Wii. I'm getting DREs almost all the time now. I'm being asked to turn off my Wii, take the disk out and then turn it back on. I figured I should call since my warranty probably only has a couple of months left on it.

On the positive side, the Nintendo rep was very nice and reassuring...he said they would try to keep my save data, but it may be lost. He also said saving it to the SD card won't help.

*Update*

I sent my Wii in on Saturday the 8th and just got it back today (12/21). The disk drive was replaced and everything is just as it was when I left it. I didn't even need to re-sync my remotes.

Interesting though, they seemed to have played with the system quite a bit in the 2-3 days it was in. They played Wii Sports and Wii Fitness on my system.

Same deal with mine, but i got it end of September, and the DRE was after about 20 hours. This is my first ever nintendo issue, ever. I printed the label, sent it back on halloween, got it back the monday after halloween, so i was out a wii, that i hardly touch, for 5 days. saved my data and all.

still compared to how many ps2's i have been through, this is nothing. as much as i play games, you would think they would last forever.

That sucks. Atleast Nintendo has a quick turn around on repairs. My Wiimote wasn't working properly. I sent it it and it was back within a week. I wouldn't be surprised if you got it back by xmas.

[quote name='shigster']Atleast your DS still works right...?[/QUOTE]

Darn tootin'. Launch DS Lite and it works great and doesn't have a broken hinge.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']Same deal with mine, but i got it end of September, and the DRE was after about 20 hours. This is my first ever nintendo issue, ever. I printed the label, sent it back on halloween, got it back the monday after halloween, so i was out a wii, that i hardly touch, for 5 days. saved my data and all.

still compared to how many ps2's i have been through, this is nothing. as much as i play games, you would think they would last forever.[/QUOTE]

This is my first Nintendo issue too. They said they would have a 7-10 day turnaround, so I should have it by Christmas. I wonder if they throw any goodies in for the inconvience. Nintendo can be cool like that.

Whats DRE? I always worry about losing my VC games if my Wii breaks. Only 1 of 10 is registered on mynintendo.com. There doesnt seem to be a way to register my old ones since i bought them before i signed up for mynintendo.com.

he said they would try to keep my save data, but it may be lost. He also said saving it to the SD card won't help.
So saving my mario galaxy or resident evil 4 saves to my SD card is worthless?

[quote name='ZForce915']On the positive side, the Nintendo rep was very nice and reassuring...he said they would try to keep my save data, but it may be lost. He also said saving it to the SD card won't help.[/QUOTE]
I don't get that SD card part either. Backing up your saves is the whole point of the SD card if I'm not mistaken. Hence why we can share saves.

Out of curiousity, how long have you had your Wii? Launch?

Shit, I just had another DRE yesterday when I popped in EA Playground. I clicked on the game icon from the menu, screen went black, and the message popped up telling me to turn off the power and turn back on. This is the third time this has happened.

Is this a normal thing that happens every-so-often (say, once a month) or was this happening every time ? Would it play disks at all after powering down and back up again?

[quote name='bmulligan']Shit, I just had another DRE yesterday when I popped in EA Playground. I clicked on the game icon from the menu, screen went black, and the message popped up telling me to turn off the power and turn back on. This is the third time this has happened.

Is this a normal thing that happens every-so-often (say, once a month) or was this happening every time ? Would it play disks at all after powering down and back up again?[/quote]

havent had a problem with it with the three wii's Ive had and friends had as well.

Maybe its just the disc.. take it back and swap it out maybe?

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't get that SD card part either. Backing up your saves is the whole point of the SD card if I'm not mistaken. Hence why we can share saves.

Out of curiousity, how long have you had your Wii? Launch?[/QUOTE]

Since about Dec 1st of last year.

He said that game saves (at the time we were talking about VC games) were tied to the games that were tied to the console. So he couldn't guarentee they would work. He said that I might lose my game saves and Miis too.

I think I'm going to back it all up anyway (I'll load some Miis on my Wiimotes) and see what happens. He did confirm that I'd be able to re-download all of my VC titles to the new console if they have to give me a new system. I kind of wish I could get the points back...I would probably skip a few titles that I already downloaded.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Whats DRE? I always worry about losing my VC games if my Wii breaks. Only 1 of 10 is registered on mynintendo.com. There doesnt seem to be a way to register my old ones since i bought them before i signed up for mynintendo.com.

So saving my mario galaxy or resident evil 4 saves to my SD card is worthless?[/QUOTE]

DRE = Disk Read Error.

If your console ever breaks and they have to give you a new one then you will lose those other 9 games. If they can fix the one you have then you'll be fine (probably).

Is it worthless to backup saves? No. If you should have a file go corrupt you'll wish you had a backup. If your console breaks will it do you any good? Not according to Andrew at Nintendo.

I think I'll report back in a couple of weeks when my system is returned to see if I can confirm or deny this info.

[quote name='ZForce915']Since about Dec 1st of last year.

He said that game saves (at the time we were talking about VC games) were tied to the games that were tied to the console. So he couldn't guarentee they would work. He said that I might lose my game saves and Miis too.

I think I'm going to back it all up anyway (I'll load some Miis on my Wiimotes) and see what happens. He did confirm that I'd be able to re-download all of my VC titles to the new console if they have to give me a new system. I kind of wish I could get the points back...I would probably skip a few titles that I already downloaded.[/quote]

That's a relief. I've been dreading loading points/buying VC games in fear that one day, my launch-day Wii will crap out and need to be replaced. Now I can breathe a little easier...I've got about 6000 points just sitting on my account that I had entered before realizing that having them sit there isn't a good idea (they came from gaminglagoon and Xmas gifts).

Does anyone else recall Nintendo at one point mentioning offering actual, physical merchandise for mail-order only through the Wii Shop channel?

[quote name='ZForce915']DRE = Disk Read Error.

If your console ever breaks and they have to give you a new one then you will lose those other 9 games. If they can fix the one you have then you'll be fine (probably).

Is it worthless to backup saves? No. If you should have a file go corrupt you'll wish you had a backup. If your console breaks will it do you any good? Not according to Andrew at Nintendo.

I think I'll report back in a couple of weeks when my system is returned to see if I can confirm or deny this info.[/quote]

Is there any way i can get those 9 VC games registered?

I've never had a DRE(febuary wii), but recently had a Blue light error. It wouldn't flash when i got sent a message, but i sent myself a message from my email address and it seems to be working now... Hmmm.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is there any way i can get those 9 VC games registered?[/QUOTE]

VC games automagically register if you pair your Wii with a Nintendo.com account.

I dunno if the registration will really matter, you should still have a purchase history on your account.

[quote name='ZForce915']Since about Dec 1st of last year.

I think I'm going to back it all up anyway (I'll load some Miis on my Wiimotes) and see what happens. He did confirm that I'd be able to re-download all of my VC titles to the new console if they have to give me a new system. I kind of wish I could get the points back...I would probably skip a few titles that I already downloaded.[/quote]

Couldn't you just copy your saves to a SD card, stick it on your PC, get your new wii, make a new save and then copy your old saves over? That seems like the general process they do over at WiiSave so you can download saves.

[quote name='foltzie']VC games automagically register if you pair your Wii with a Nintendo.com account.[/quote]

It seems to only register the ones you buy after you set up the account.

I find this completely absurd that you may lose your save data and VC games.
I have a TON of VC games...and I have 9900 points in my account. If I lost all of that....wow. Let's say I probably would NOT have a Wii this generation after that.

I just can not believe that..."it's possible that you may lose everything". It just doesn't make any sense, and basically, shouldn't be.

[quote name='lilboo']I find this completely absurd that you may lose your save data and VC games.
I have a TON of VC games...and I have 9900 points in my account. If I lost all of that....wow. Let's say I probably would NOT have a Wii this generation after that.

I just can not believe that..."it's possible that you may lose everything". It just doesn't make any sense, and basically, shouldn't be.[/quote]

Yeah tell me about it. One of the main reasons i bought a Wii was for the VC. I am asking for two wii points cards for christmas too. I dont like the idea that i could possibly lose the stuff i buy.

Certain game saves cannot be transferred, like Metal Slug Anthology, so I'm sure he was referencing to that, but still a vast majority can be transferred.

Yea it make no sense that your game save wont work.

As for the VC games this is where nintendo fail. At least with Microsoft if your system has a problem you can get back the points you spent.

[quote name='62t']Yea it make no sense that your game save wont work.

As for the VC games this is where nintendo fail. At least if your system has a problem you can get back the points you spent.[/quote]

So if my system broke i can get all the points i spent on those 9 vc games that didnt register? Ive spent about 70 bucks on games for the VC.

Guys, Nintendo isn't going to say "LOL UR BONED DUDE."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148658

Will you be able to take your VC games to a mate's house, say, on an SD card?

Nintendo: No. All VC games will be locked to the console they are downloaded on so even if they are on an SD card they can't be used on other machines. You will have to take your Wii with you.

Does that mean that if your console breaks you lose your VC games forever?

Nintendo: No. Nintendo will offer support to help Wii owners with problems to recover their games.

Several people who had a busted Wii reported they got their Wii Points and VC games back when their consoles had to be replaced.

[quote name='lilboo']I find this completely absurd that you may lose your save data and VC games.

I just can not believe that..."it's possible that you may lose everything". It just doesn't make any sense, and basically, shouldn't be.[/quote]

you wont send me some n64 games lilboo? ;)

[quote name='Tsukento']Guys, Nintendo isn't going to say "LOL UR BONED DUDE."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148658

Several people who had a busted Wii reported they got their Wii Points and VC games back when their consoles had to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

It isn't about if you can get the games back, it is certain you can. What is in question are the game saves.

The more I think about it the more I think that the Nintendo rep didn't understand my question. If a game save can be transferred to my SD card, I should be able to put that back on my Wii even if I was given a brand new one. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Purhaps he was just giving me the worst case senario just to prep me in case I lost everything?

[quote name='lilboo']:lol: How long did they play?! What kind of playtime was there?![/QUOTE]

Pretty long really. Usually in 15-30 minute intervals. I'm guessing that this is why I have a slot with 3 ? in my channels menu.

I'll go back on (my daughter has the TV right now) and get a total play time.

Yeah, once again to reassure everyone... if they replace your Wii, they transfer EVERYTHING.

What's tricky about that is the fact that if you get a new console, the fact that you've purchased the VC games is apparent, but you'll have redownload them. That's the only stumbling block.

When I got mine back, it was a new console, but everything transferred over. Game saves, VC records, points, etc. Be mindful, however, that if they replace the console, and this is the big one, you will NO LONGER be able to edit the Miis that were there before you sent it in, nor will your Wii code remain the same. So, that means having everyone in your address book RECONFIRM your new code.

Luckily, I only had about 4 codes... but really, it was the non-editable Mii thing that pissed me off. Surely Nintendo could have fixed it, they simply didn't.

My system was not replaced, just the disk drive.

And I think I jumped the gun, the game played was Wii Fitness, not Wii Fit. The fitness game is in the Wii Sports menu. Boo!

Yeah, if they just replace the drive, I don't see why there'd ever be a problem.

In terms of the 'Wii Fitness', if it's part of Wii Sports, wouldn't that simply be listed under the playtime menu as 'Wii Sports'?

If they're two seperate listings, it has to be a different game.

[quote name='007']Yeah, once again to reassure everyone... if they replace your Wii, they transfer EVERYTHING.

What's tricky about that is the fact that if you get a new console, the fact that you've purchased the VC games is apparent, but you'll have redownload them. That's the only stumbling block.

When I got mine back, it was a new console, but everything transferred over. Game saves, VC records, points, etc. Be mindful, however, that if they replace the console, and this is the big one, you will NO LONGER be able to edit the Miis that were there before you sent it in, nor will your Wii code remain the same. So, that means having everyone in your address book RECONFIRM your new code.

Luckily, I only had about 4 codes... but really, it was the non-editable Mii thing that pissed me off. Surely Nintendo could have fixed it, they simply didn't.[/quote]

There is a util out there that will allow you to edit Miis you created on a previous Wii.

This is from Strell's Wii FAQ:

Is there any way to edit my Miis on my computer?
Indeed, it appears that intrepid individuals have sought out to do this exact thing. If you have bluetooth setup on your PC, you can use Mii Mega-mall ( http://www.miimall.com ) and the Mii Editor (http://www.miieditor.com ) to transfer your Miis to your computer, edit them to match your new Wii (via MAC address), and send them back to the Wii as being editable. More information about that can be found in the Mii Editor FAQ.
Thank you Pale over at NWR for this information.
Shecky further adds: It probably makes the Bluetooth computer look like a Wii Remote. And you can send a Mii to a Wii Remote as part of the Mii channel. You can even pull Mii's off the remote.

I sent my Wii in for repair, and when I got it back, I cannot edit my Miis! Nintendo transferred them to what appears to be an entirely new Wii, and it’s telling me that I cannot edit a Mii I didn’t create! Why must you toy with me so, Nintendo?
Basically it’s like you no longer have rights to the Miis in question. Use the solution above. I realize that’s not the best answer in the world, but it’s either try that or live in your misery.

Yeah... I tried that, but it didn't work for some reason. I haven't really had much time to try again, though, so maybe I just screwed up.

Also, remember that even if it does work, if you have a lot of Miis, it's still going to be a rather time consuming process.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What the crap is going on this generation of consoles? Does Sony really have the most dependable hardware?[/quote]

Apparently! I haven't heard of any hardware problems lately with the PS3 and I haven't had any with mine. It's frozen on games a time or two, but that's about it, no big deal.

bread's done
Back