I REALLY hope POTC3 doesn't break box-office records!!!

bullsrfive

CAGiversary!
Man I really hope POTC3 DOES NOT break Spider-Man 3's opening weekend record. They are just trying too damn hard and forcing the issue. First, Disney says they are releasing the movie on Thursday 8:00 just to squeeze every ounce of penny they can get. Then they open up to [SIZE=-1]4,362 theaters domestically, 110 more than the previous record-holder of Spider-Man 3. They're just trying way too damn hard and I hope they fail. I also hear the movie is 3 hours long, which is way too damn long for a popcorn flick.
[/SIZE]

I actually hope it does well. Besides its the final "Pirates" movie unlike Spider-Man and Shrek which seem to many more sequels to come.

[quote name='CAG 79']I actually hope it does well. Besides its the final "Pirates" movie unlike Spider-Man and Shrek which seem to many more sequels to come.[/QUOTE]

It's the "final" Pirates movie until they see how much money it makes. If it does well, I would not be at all surprised to see a fourth one. I know the cast has said they are out, but money changes a lot of minds.

Haha no I'm not Sam Raimi. I actually dislike the guy after he totally fucked Venom in the ass in Spidy 3. It might be the final Pirates movies, but I'm sure spinoffs will ensue with Captain Jack Sparrow.

[quote name='yukine']Come on, Sam... forget about the Spider-Man movies. Make a new Evil Dead!!11[/quote]

Screw that. Hercules and Xena : The Movie

Why would anybody care how much money a movie makes or doesn't make, unless you're getting a cut or having a bet. Are you betting a pal on this? Even if it opens Thursday, I don't think that would count towards the "Opening Weekend" gross of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I seen part of Sherk the thrid today it wasn't to bad. Much like most 3rd movies in a trilogy its a popcorn flick. So I don't except a piece of cinematic art.

I hope it doesn't do well for other reasons. I am a fan of classic Disney and hate what they did to Pirates of the Carribbean at Disneyworld (and I guess Disneyland). They added these Captain Jack Sparrow audio animatronics to the ride and changed the ride around where the focus of the ride is about him not to mention he looks really out of place in the ride since he looks so realistic and the other pirates don't. I'd hate to see them make more changes to the ride or retheme other rides to Pirates just how Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland is now the Pirates Lair.

[quote name='bullsrfive']Man I really hope POTC3 DOES NOT break Spider-Man 3's opening weekend record. They are just trying too damn hard and forcing the issue. First, Disney says they are releasing the movie on Thursday 8:00 just to squeeze every ounce of penny they can get. Then they open up to [SIZE=-1]4,362 theaters domestically, 110 more than the previous record-holder of Spider-Man 3. They're just trying way too damn hard and I hope they fail. I also hear the movie is 3 hours long, which is way too damn long for a popcorn flick.
[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn Spiderman 3 also opened up at 8 pm...... I think 8 is the new midnight.

[quote name='Greetard']And I can guarantee there's a fourth coming with the way the ending was set up.[/QUOTE]

So much for this being a "trilogy" then eh?

[quote name='Greetard']The movie was all build up, little action.
[/QUOTE]
Wait, did they accidentally show you the second film?

Or is it the same shit all over again? Jesus Christ, I'm avoiding this like the plague.

[quote name='Greetard']The movie was all build up, little action.

And I can guarantee there's a fourth coming with the way the ending was set up.[/quote]

Or at least a Captain Jack Sparrow Adventures... or some suchery. That would be delightful, keep the good character, toss out the others.

The movie was great much better than spiderman 3. And there was a lot of killing and blood i don't see the "little action" the whole last hour was a battle.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Do you gain or lose any money if the movie does break the record? No? So why the hell do you care then?[/quote]

Maybe he has a side bet with a friend or something.

Either way, what does it matter? The record will only be broken again as movie ticket prices don't show signs of decreasing any time soon.

I think this is going to be one of those love-it or hate-it kind of movies... there's a fair amount of surreal-ish stuff
Mostly Jack Sparrow talking to himself
which may or may not appeal to people. I personally, was disspointed with the new characters
they go through all the effort to introduce an Asian pirate, a sea goddess, and Jack's dad... and no one gets much more than cameos?

On the whole tho', I liked it... this isn't something you watch for deep story and character development, you watch it to see stuff blow up and wait for someone to crack a joke. On that level, it suceeds pretty well. I liked the ending to, for
not taking the easy way out and having everyone live perfectly 'happy ever after'... Elizabeth and Will especially.

There's almost certianly going to be another movie, though... the ending isn't so open that it's required, like last time, but the setup is there.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hope it doesn't do well for other reasons. I am a fan of classic Disney and hate what they did to Pirates of the Carribbean at Disneyworld (and I guess Disneyland). They added these Captain Jack Sparrow audio animatronics to the ride and changed the ride around where the focus of the ride is about him not to mention he looks really out of place in the ride since he looks so realistic and the other pirates don't. I'd hate to see them make more changes to the ride or retheme other rides to Pirates just how Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland is now the Pirates Lair.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I saw at Disneyland this past October, and Tom Sawyer's Island is still called that- or did you mean Disneyworld?

I wasn't too bothered by the Jack additions at Disneyland... maybe it's worse in Disneyworld, but at Disneyland only 3 characters were altered to be Jack-centric, and 2 new spots feature Jack and Davy Jones, respectively. I think the movies go farther out of their way to synch with the existing ride than the other way around.

:applause: [quote name='VanillaGorilla']Do you gain or lose any money if the movie does break the record? No? So why the hell do you care then?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CAG 79']I actually hope it does well. Besides its the final "Pirates" movie unlike Spider-Man and Shrek which seem to many more sequels to come.[/quote]
They never said its the "final" Pirates movie. Johnny Depp said he would like to reprise his role as Cpt. Jack Sparrow as many times as possible.

So what if it breaks S-M 3's record...big deal. I'm still waiting to see how Transformers pairs up against these POTC & S-M3.

[quote name='life.exe']I hope it beats Spidey 3, that movie was awful.[/quote]

QFT. Anyways, look for a sequel in 2-3 years. I doubt they have a story written up, but this is a great movie, and with the number of people who will probably go to the theater to see it several times and the way the ending is set up, I'm sure there will be a sequel of some shape or form. And honestly, no action? Were you asleep the whole time?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hope it doesn't do well for other reasons. I am a fan of classic Disney and hate what they did to Pirates of the Carribbean at Disneyworld (and I guess Disneyland). They added these Captain Jack Sparrow audio animatronics to the ride and changed the ride around where the focus of the ride is about him not to mention he looks really out of place in the ride since he looks so realistic and the other pirates don't. I'd hate to see them make more changes to the ride or retheme other rides to Pirates just how Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland is now the Pirates Lair.[/quote]

:wall:

That's so aggravating.

You don't colorize a movie like Casablanca, and you don't F with an iconic amusement park ride like POTC!

I wouldn't mind if they had some dopey 3D ride with exploding boats and stuff, but please don't screw up a classic. I knew it was the begging of the end when they took out the pirates carousing with ladies in the ride because some feminist started complaining.

I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again.

Way better than Dead Mans Chest.

Then again, almost anything is better than Pirates 2 :lol:

Meh, the original was overrated. Not a bad film, but it failed to capture my interest througout the whole movie and was pretty boring. At 3 hours long I think I'd walk out of the theater, but I wont be seeing another Pirates movie again.

[quote name='trunks982']i heard theres something after the end credits.[/quote]

yeah i stayed and watched it.
It shows Elizabeth with a kid and it is 10 years later and the green light flashes and Turner comes through.

[quote name='Thongsy']Why would anybody care how much money a movie makes or doesn't make, unless you're getting a cut or having a bet. [/quote] I was really hoping that Serenity would make a lot of money so we would get sequels, but that didn't happen. :cry:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They never said its the "final" Pirates movie. Johnny Depp said he would like to reprise his role as Cpt. Jack Sparrow as many times as possible.

So what if it breaks S-M 3's record...big deal. I'm still waiting to see how Transformers pairs up against these POTC & S-M3.[/QUOTE]

The ending bit after the credits seem to hint at a POTC4.

As for Transformers, well lets just say the big wigs to be are hoping that it does half as good as Shrek, Pirates or Spidey. Sorry LP, but the buzz outside TF fans just isn't there. Which is kinda sad, you can tell that they've shaped a good portion of the movie just to get people outside the diehard fans to see it.

Oh and as for POTC3 failing to even come close to SM3's opening day, well I'd hate to tell you "I told you so", but . . .
I fuckING TOLD YOU SO!

I thought S-M3 was the better movie. POTC3 was just a case of being 45 minutes too long. S-M3 & POTC3 should've swapped show lengths, as S-M3 could have really benefitted from being longer, where as POTC was far to fucking long. Both were decent movies however, easily 3/5.

Spiderman 3 served Pirates, $49 million opening day (plus $10 mil from midnight screenings), Pirates only got $43 million (plus $14 mil from 8PM showings)

Weekend, Spiderman 3 had $151, Pirates had $143.5.[quote name='-Never4ever-']I thought S-M3 was the better movie. POTC3 was just a case of being 45 minutes too long. S-M3 & POTC3 should've swapped show lengths, as S-M3 could have really benefitted from being longer, where as POTC was far to fucking long.[/QUOTE]Amen to that.

[quote name='TimPV3']Spiderman 3 served Pirates, $49 million opening day (plus $10 mil from midnight screenings), Pirates only got $43 million (plus $14 mil from 8PM showings)

Weekend, Spiderman 3 had $151, Pirates had $143.5.Amen to that.[/quote]
8pm screens were $17 million. How are you ending the week when sunday hasn't ended?

[quote name='panasonic']8pm screens were $17 million. How are you ending the week when sunday hasn't ended?[/QUOTE]

Those numbers for Pirates are based off of early estimates at this point.

hmmm well looks like it didn't do so well but people are on vaction too. Now its a race to how fast it can reach the 300 million domestic.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']The ending bit after the credits seem to hint at a POTC4.

As for Transformers, well lets just say the big wigs to be are hoping that it does half as good as Shrek, Pirates or Spidey. Sorry LP, but the buzz outside TF fans just isn't there. Which is kinda sad, you can tell that they've shaped a good portion of the movie just to get people outside the diehard fans to see it.

Oh and as for POTC3 failing to even come close to SM3's opening day, well I'd hate to tell you "I told you so", but . . .
I fuckING TOLD YOU SO!

I thought S-M3 was the better movie. POTC3 was just a case of being 45 minutes too long. S-M3 & POTC3 should've swapped show lengths, as S-M3 could have really benefitted from being longer, where as POTC was far to fucking long. Both were decent movies however, easily 3/5.[/quote]

I don't believe all that negativity. I saw a 10min preview of the film and I was wowed. I cannot fucking wait to see it, all the new trailers that they keep showing keep looking better and better. I was really skeptical about this movie even after the first trailers came out, but after seeing the 10min preview, I know its going to be fucking awesome.

bread's done
Back