I really need some help with my PS3 and connecting it to a standard TV!

HumanSnatcher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm over at a ex's apartment (have been for a while) and can't for the life of me get a video signal from my PS3. At home at my parents I have it connected via HDMI to my TV. Here at my ex's, he has a tv thats about 13-15 years old. The standard Ps1/PS2 RF unit doesn't work. I tried using his RF modulator and even bought a brand new RF modulator, to no avail. I've googled around and there shouldn't be ANY problem. I even had a friend lend me a 15" LCD TV that even has component input, and still nothing. I can get sound from my PS3 via optical audio out to an old receiver I gave my ex.

I guess what I'm asking is does the PS3 automatically know to switch from the HDMI signal to the multi-AV out port or would I need to connect back to my tv at my parents and switch it???

Let me just say, I doubt you can get the PS3 to work via RF.

But the A/V part is a VERY simple fix. The problem is that the resolution on the PS3 is set in HD. To set it back to 480i (to work on any TV), you need to press the power button on the PS3 to turn it on. You will hear one beep. Keep your finger on the PS3 power button until you hear a 2nd beep. Once you hear a 2nd beep, lift up your finger (basically take it off the PS3) and it should reset to 480i.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Let me just say, I doubt you can get the PS3 to work via RF.

But the A/V part is a VERY simple fix. The problem is that the resolution on the PS3 is set in HD. To set it back to 480i (to work on any TV), you need to press the power button on the PS3 to turn it on. You will hear one beep. Keep your finger on the PS3 power button until you hear a 2nd beep. Once you hear a 2nd beep, lift up your finger (basically take it off the PS3) and it should reset to 480i.[/quote]

what they said...lol

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Let me just say, I doubt you can get the PS3 to work via RF.

But the A/V part is a VERY simple fix. The problem is that the resolution on the PS3 is set in HD. To set it back to 480i (to work on any TV), you need to press the power button on the PS3 to turn it on. You will hear one beep. Keep your finger on the PS3 power button until you hear a 2nd beep. Once you hear a 2nd beep, lift up your finger (basically take it off the PS3) and it should reset to 480i.[/quote]

Cool. I'll definatly try that in a few mins. I guess the system itself doesn't auto switch between the outputs. Hopefully it'll work as It had been sitting connected to my 42" HDTV ever since I got it and have been slightly worried that since it had never been moved since I fired it up at my parents on my set that something may have happened to it. The only other thing I could think of to try was bring my 22" monitor over and use the HDMI-DVI adaptor that I have for my laptop

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Cool. I'll definatly try that in a few mins. I guess the system itself doesn't auto switch between the outputs. Hopefully it'll work as It had been sitting connected to my 42" HDTV ever since I got it and have been slightly worried that since it had never been moved since I fired it up at my parents on my set that something may have happened to it. The only other thing I could think of to try was bring my 22" monitor over and use the HDMI-DVI adaptor that I have for my laptop[/QUOTE]Well, it's not that. The thing is, when you set the PS3 in a higher resolution, that's what it sticks to (same with 360 unless you switch the A/V cable), regardless to whether you use HDMI or component. The resolution will not display on an SDTV, so you need to reset to 480i. Once you go back to an HDTV, it will automatically prompt you to change display.

SWEET!!!! Just tried that and it works even using the Sony RF Unit. Just sucks that my ex's friend wireless connection is near crap because I have to update my system. Oh well, thankfully i have a thumbdrive that I left over here to download it to and update from there

bread's done
Back