I think my PS3 is fried..

pimpster4183

CAGiversary!
Hopefully someone has a solution to this or can just tell me I'm SOL. Yesterday when I got home from work, turned on the ol PS3 to do some gaming and after 5 minutes a little box in the top right corner popped up and said system overheating, shutting down. So I wait an hour, does it again right at 5 minutes of play. So I let it sit over night same thing this morning. Mine is about a year and 3 monthes old so I think Sony will not do shit for me now. BTW, the system was not in a inclosed area, I had it sitting on it's own on the floor away from anything.

Can you hear the fan turning on? It's also possible that the heat sink has expanded off your CPU. Don't turn it on anymore, you may cause further damage to the other components.

In any case, give Sony a call and see what they tell you.

Take it apart! :bouncy:

I'd look for stuff in the fans and reapply thermal compound to the heatsinks. If the fans don't move... well, you might be SOL unless you can find a new one on ebay.

Alternatively, you could just tear it apart and stick it in an old computer case or even a pizza box with a new fan.

It's the 40 gig that came bundled with spiderman 3, got it in dec 07.. I called Sony and the CSR was like because it's outside warranty by 3 monthes I could pay $150.00 to them and they'd fix it. not sure what i'm gonna do yet

dang sorry to hear man. But yeah 150 for a fix is pretty steep, but its still probably the cheapest solution...do they renew your warranty if you send it in? I doubt they would give a full warranty, but shouldn't they atleast back their own fix for atleast a year or two? Hope everything turns out well and keep us posted.

[quote name='riddler']dang sorry to hear man. But yeah 150 for a fix is pretty steep, but its still probably the cheapest solution...do they renew your warranty if you send it in? I doubt they would give a full warranty, but shouldn't they atleast back their own fix for atleast a year or two? Hope everything turns out well and keep us posted.[/quote]

You get a 90 day warranty whether they fix your system or send you a refurbished one. It's BS to me, after paying $150, but that's their policy. I got a refurbished unit when mine died.

I would vacuum out the vents,if that does not work, open it up and blow out the dust from the inside W/compressed air. See if that helps, if not look into other options.

[quote name='dragonjud']You get a 90 day warranty whether they fix your system or send you a refurbished one. It's BS to me, after paying $150, but that's their policy. I got a refurbished unit when mine died.[/quote]

that's a pretty shoddy repair warranty stance on sony's behalf...you would think they would atleast hand out a 1 year warranty on their own fixes, but i guess you gotta take into account the length of time a person owned their system before they sent it in to begin with and all.....sigh. Here's crossing my fingers my ps3 stays healthy!

[quote name='js1']I would vacuum out the vents,if that does not work, open it up and blow out the dust from the inside W/compressed air. See if that helps, if not look into other options.[/quote]

Do not use a regular vacuum!

Only vacuum the console if you have an anti-static vacuum or else you will fry your PS3 further with static!

[quote name='riddler']that's a pretty shoddy repair warranty stance on sony's behalf...you would think they would atleast hand out a 1 year warranty on their own fixes, but i guess you gotta take into account the length of time a person owned their system before they sent it in to begin with and all.....sigh. Here's crossing my fingers my ps3 stays healthy![/quote]
I don't know what dragonjud is talking about but the PS3 warranty is a one year warranty:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/warranties/ps3

never keep your consoles on the floor, especiallyone you payed a few hundred dollars for. I went through two gamecubes before I found that out. tough luck, man, sorry to hear.

bread's done
Back