I use to be a PC, Now im a MAC

Khondor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I just made the switch over to Mac. Picked up a beautiful MacBook Pro.
This is an amazing computer.
Its a learning process though, but from the few hours ive had to mess around with it,
I realize I should have switched years ago.

Anyone else done the switch, or thinking about it?

I switched to mac notebooks because I was sick of the cheap pc laptops breaking on me. I have gone through 4 laptops in 2 years. I finally made the switch and couldn't be happier. I do my graphic intensive stuff on my desktop and everyday use on my macbook.

I thought about switching before, but most of the games/programs I like are PC only and I don't have any desire to run a Windows emualtor.

my BIG problem with Macs are the price, I always find the people who complain about PC laptops being crappy are the ones who spend 500 bucks on some shitty dell or Toshiba piece of crap.

If you spend 1,000-1,200 on a PC laptop, you'll get a great computer that will actually be able to load the software you already have.

Plus, its much easier to find torrents for PC software than Mac software, and DVD copying is way easier on a PC using DVD shrink than a Mac (do they even make DVD copying software for a mac?)

Lemme end by saying I don't HATE Mac's, they are good computers, but I don't think their price justifies them.

PS. when will Apple just give in already and include a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel?!

In all Honestly I have a mac and I am usually almost always on the windows side of my dual boot. Mac hampers a lot of my activities such as games and most all software on the mac costs $$$$$. Even a psp movie converter. Drnick there are not 2 seperate buttons but it is like a teeter totter mouse, depending on what side you lean your hand it clicks a button, and my mouse has a scroll ball.

I'm not a graphic designer or artist of any kind, so I can't justify the price of a mac. my PC laptop handles every day applications fine (and my desktop handles the vidyaghamez)

I have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop and love 'em both.

I know I'd like the iBook more if I did shit with music or video, but it's still useful.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not a graphic designer or artist of any kind, so I can't justify the price of a mac. my PC laptop handles every day applications fine (and my desktop handles the vidyaghamez)[/quote]

I AM a graphic designer and I can't justify the cost of a Mac. They are just WAY over priced. Now that the mac is running on the same hardware as pc it's all the more obvious. Besides, I hate the "I'm a Mac" commercials.

I always have to use Macs for my media design/editing work for school but I really prefer PC. I bought a Macbook Pro at one point but I couldnt justify its cost so I returned it and got a $680 HP laptop through a deal which serves me just as well.

[quote name='peteloaf']I AM a graphic designer and I can't justify the cost of a Mac. They are just WAY over priced. Now that the mac is running on the same hardware as pc it's all the more obvious. Besides, I hate the "I'm a Mac" commercials.[/QUOTE]

I hate how well those commercials work. I have friends, who are normally intelligent people, that try to pull that "why did you buy a PC? get a mac" bullshit on me. Which goes into a nice, satisfying "what do you use it for/how much did you pay" conversation :lol:

I think the reason that Macs are used so much for graphics work is because graphic artists don't want to deal with anything too technical. I'm sure they're great with Photoshop and other programs, but probably couldn't troubleshoot their own systems.

Before anyone corrects me, I'm not saying that goes for everyone.

[quote name='JolietJake']I think the reason that Macs are used so much for graphics work is because graphic artists don't want to deal with anything too technical. I'm sure they're great with Photoshop and other programs, but probably couldn't troubleshoot their own systems.

Before anyone corrects me, I'm not saying that goes for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the programs themselves are just better. My musician friend (makes electronic music, not recording live) says that most of the good electronic music creating programs are for macs. I don't know if that goes for everything.

I use PCs, but I'm starting to move away from Windows.

I use Windows for games and a few programs, and I use Linux, specifically Ubuntu, for most other shit.

apple does make some nice laptops, macbooks and macbook pros have great specs and i love the 13.3" screens.

for desktops though apple is weak. the 24" imac is like $1600... for that much you could have an extremely powerful PC with a nice 24" monitor. it wouldn't be as pretty but it'd be a much better machine overall.

[quote name='peteloaf']I can't justify the cost of a Mac. They are just WAY over priced. Now that the mac is running on the same hardware as pc it's all the more obvious.[/QUOTE]

This.

I built the computer in my sig (with legit software and a HDDVD drive) for less than this:

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 250GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

Apple can blow themselves.

I would switch to mac if Magic the gathering Online worked on a mac.. i have a sizeable investment of cards and I can't justify leaving that .. my GF may get a mac book because she hates her laptop (its accident prone)

I find it funny how those Apple vs. Mac TV ads never mention the price difference.

As said before, if you know what our buying your money goes so much further on a PC.

I like my money so "No Mac for me!"

[quote name='undiegnome']I find it funny how those Apple vs. Mac TV ads never mention the price difference.

As said before, if you know what our buying your money goes so much further on a PC.

I like my money so "No Mac for me!"[/QUOTE]

To you and all others who complain over price, that argument is not necessarily true.

Check out this article on the subject:

http://www.pcmech.com/article/is-the-mac-overpriced/

I just got a macbook pro 2 days ago and I absolutely love it. It's my first mac since using them in grade school/high school. I've been a diehard Windows girl forever, but I've gotten more and more curious as various frustrations with Windows built up. Felt like trying out some new frustrations, at minimum.

I have the best of both worlds - a gorgeous macbook pro for on the go (that plays city of heroes/villains better than my previous laptop did), and a self-built Windows computer for hardcore gaming and such at home.

I'm still getting used to OS X, but I couldn't be happier with the switch. And yes, you can find plenty of torrents of software for macs (*make sure you own the software, yadda yadda*). As for the money, with education discounts, it's not that substantial, unless you're taking about the $499 best buy craptops which I wouldn't buy anyway. Same for the Dell Fugly lineup.

For the record - I hate those dumbass Mac/PC commercials. It's that kind of douchebaggery by the apple contingent that made me hate apple and never want to even think about switching. I hate smug wannabe hipsters. There are various reasons people prefer one over the other, which most could care less about. This is just one Windows user who made the switch (partially) and is completely thrilled with it.

[quote name='help1']I could never do it. My school has really turned me off to Macs by making me use them.[/quote]

This, but replace "school" with "workplace." Fortunately, I only had to ask to replace the Mac with a PC. I just found the interface and button commands very bothersome.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']To you and all others who complain over price, that argument is not necessarily true.

Check out this article on the subject:

http://www.pcmech.com/article/is-the-mac-overpriced/[/quote]Thats comparing them to OEM PCs, not self built systems. In that case the price may very well be different, I'd want a comparison between a retail Mac and what an equivalent PC could be built for. I haven't bought a desktop PC in over a decade.

Im in the same boat with Synergy, I just find my fight with windows sometimes too much to take. Although I will probably keep my Desktop PC, switching my notebook to a Mac now seems like a no-brainer.
I dont do anything graphically intensive but its nice to have the options knowing I can
without having to crack open my PC and upgrade. I just pluged in my digital camer and all the photos just poped up on screen, with my PC I would just sit there waiting for the software to load, and if I vieved more than 6-7 photos at a time my PC would slow to a crawl.
Also I dont play many games on the computer, so that was never a factor.
The cost wasn't an issue for me (obviously) and things are running so smooth and fast.
There is harldy any noticeable wait time doing anything on it.
I feel like ive upgraded from a Volkswagen Jetta to a bentley Continental GT.

I have a powerbook G4 (pre-macbook by about 6 months). I like it except my case is beat to shit because it's so mailable.

It mystifies me when people talk of all these problems they have with windows. Sometimes i wonder if it's more of user problem than a software problem.

[quote name='JolietJake']It mystifies me when people talk of all these problems they have with windows. Sometimes i wonder if it's more of user problem than a software problem.[/QUOTE]

Well, ive be using windows since windows 95, and with my line of work
i use a LOT of different programs. You should see all the shortcuts on my desktop.
anywho, the years of "program cannot install, missing dll file" and "unexpected error, terminating program" and lets not forget those random error codes that have no meaning to me.

sometimes dude, it IS the Software ;)

[quote name='JolietJake']It mystifies me when people talk of all these problems they have with windows. Sometimes i wonder if it's more of user problem than a software problem.[/quote]

Exactly. I have never owned a Mac myself, but I have spent long periods of time using them at friends and family houses. I find Macs have just as many problems as Windows based PC's do.

I think having a Mac laptop would be nice, but ultimately I like having the wide range of programs and non-restricted hardware that PCs offer.

People think just because you have 3 million settings you have to learn to use them all.

Macs are for people that don't like options.

Any basic operation is just that. Rudimentary tasks are very easy to accomplish and Apple gets points for that. However, if you want to be any sort of power user, its extremely difficult because the interface is so simple. Its an issue becoming more predominant with Vista.

[quote name='JolietJake']It mystifies me when people talk of all these problems they have with windows. Sometimes i wonder if it's more of user problem than a software problem.[/quote]

I'll admit that every DOS based windows OS was more or less crap, i remember reinstalling 98 every 3 months or so, after a while it just became unstable. All NT based versions of Windows has been rock solid for me though. Up until i got some nasty malware, i was using a nearly 2 year old installation of XP.

[quote name='Kayden']People think just because you have 3 million settings you have to learn to use them all.

Macs are for people that don't like options.

Any basic operation is just that. Rudimentary tasks are very easy to accomplish and Apple gets points for that. However, if you want to be any sort of power user, its extremely difficult because the interface is so simple. Its an issue becoming more predominant with Vista.[/quote]

Would you care to explain what's detrimentally simple about the user interface?

I have an Aunt who is a die hard apple fan though. Every computer is a Mac of some model, she and my cousins all have ipods. It's actually kind of creepy really, like Apple is or is becoming a cult.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I considered the switch a few years ago, but then I realized that I like using my computer to actually do things, not to sit and look pretty.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

Been wanting to switch for years, but I've been broke. But, luckily, this summer, I got an AWESOME job, so I'm going to buy either a new Macbook, or a new iMac. (Never really was into laptops.)

I love the apple fan character in penny arcade. I don't have it anymore, but i had saved this great strip from earlier in the ipod craze.

The ending was something like "my ipod doesn't skip"
Then either Gabe or Tycho said "neither does my cd player, it's cushioned by about $280 in cash."

I considered a macbook, but the price is way too high, no discounts ever and you can only buy from them. That article comparing a mac vs pc is off, since pcs are made by many different companies and people themselves. You can customize the specs you want and more. That article seems to compare everything to buying from Dell. For a PC doing a little shopping can go a long way. Currently I can buy a Lenovo, which would probably be equal to or superior to a macbook in built quality but you can get a better machine for less.

If Apple actually were like PC and didn't force everybody to buy from their site where they have few customizable parts or from a big box where all the macs are the same with no discount, it's hard to shallow that price. Not everybody needs the same thing. Though at least with macs the resell value holds up, while PCs are like cars and depreciate immeadiately.

I have seriously been considering switching to a mac desktop and macbook. I don't play PC games anymore so it seems like a semi good idea.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I considered the switch a few years ago, but then I realized that I like using my computer to actually do things, not to sit and look pretty.[/QUOTE]

lolz.

my ugly dell has been able to run photoshop, edit movies and music for years.

I switched from PC to Macs 4 years ago. I don't run into as many problems as I did with the XP laptop I was using.
As far as the price of Macs being high, I think it's not bad considering that OS X works really well. It's simple, intuitive, and a pleasure to use. Windows, the other hand, caused me a lot of headaches before I made the switch.

Speaking as someone who is extremely comfortable with Windows, having built 4+ PC's from scratch, that's a BS argument. I've had numerous issues for no other reason than there are sometimes annoying problems with Windows. This doesn't automatically mean OS X is perfect, it's not one or the other. They're both good, for different reasons. At this point, I couldn't be happier with my decision to move from a Sony Vaio laptop to a MacBook Pro.

I dislike this stigma that PC/Windows users are smarter, "power users," and people that use Macs are retard hipsters. Also, there isn't any damn thing wrong with something working well out of the box. I love my gaming computer, but I've experienced plenty of driver/update issues over the span of its life that I'm not going to be seeing on my MBP.

As I've said, I own both - for good reasons. I was a mac hater until recently, and made the same out-of-date arguments against them I'm seeing here. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what platform people decide to use. However, sweeping generalities are useless, and fanboy-ism is aggravating and pathetic.

To the guy who was pissed you can only buy them from Apple - Macs are available in Best Buys across the country, as well as many online stores other than Apple. Discounts are available to students. If money is that big of an issue, then there's plenty of good cheap Windows options.

[quote name='help1']I could never do it. My school has really turned me off to Macs by making me use them.[/QUOTE]

Same here. The iMacs that are at my college are slow, have major issues connecting to the network, and tend to crash whenever we try to do something the slightest bit complex in the math, science, and engineering packages we're supposed to be using them for.

The newer Mac desktops and laptops I've seen are nice, but aren't worth the huge cost difference to me.

[quote name='Synergy']Speaking as someone who is extremely comfortable with Windows, having built 4+ PC's from scratch, that's a BS argument. I've had numerous issues for no other reason than there are sometimes annoying problems with Windows. This doesn't automatically mean OS X is perfect, it's not one or the other. They're both good, for different reasons. At this point, I couldn't be happier with my decision to move from a Sony Vaio laptop to a MacBook Pro.

I dislike this stigma that PC/Windows users are smarter, "power users," and people that use Macs are retard hipsters. Also, there isn't any damn thing wrong with something working well out of the box. I love my gaming computer, but I've experienced plenty of driver/update issues over the span of its life that I'm not going to be seeing on my MBP.

As I've said, I own both - for good reasons. I was a mac hater until recently, and made the same out-of-date arguments against them I'm seeing here. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what platform people decide to use. However, sweeping generalities are useless, and fanboy-ism is aggravating and pathetic.

To the guy who was pissed you can only buy them from Apple - Macs are available in Best Buys across the country, as well as many online stores other than Apple. Discounts are available to students. If money is that big of an issue, then there's plenty of good cheap Windows options.[/quote]

Malfunctioning hardware can cause numerous problems with operating systems, did you ever think that you had a bad part causing some problems? Many blue screens for example are caused by hardware that is starting to die, bad RAM can especially cause it.

Any driver update issues you may have experienced could be blamed on the manufacturers of the hardware you're referring to. Microsoft isn't responsible for another companie's driver software.

I'd like to actually hear about these numerous issues you've had, as they've been rare for me. Whenever i have had a problem, theres usually a good explanation for it.

bread's done
Back