I want an inexpensive tablet JUST for movies on an upcoming trip, help?

Lazer77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
I am going to Europe for 2 weeks, I just want something to watch movies on for those two weeks. There is a strong chance that I will just resell the tablet once I get back to the US because I honestly have no use for it.

I just want something that plays many formats (granted that I can just convert prior to leaving), has a decent display which doesn't skip, and has great battery life. I am not against purchasing a refurbished or used one. My budget is $120, but I can go up to $150 if its worth it for whatever reason.

I would prefer to buy a brand that I recognize, but from the bit of research I did, most of the "good" brands are expensive as hell. I prefer ASUS, but those are crazy expensive. I really don't want to get an HP. I would prefer to avoid some Chinese knockoff brand, but if it does the trick and the price value makes up for it, I will consider it.

Any suggestions?

I would recommend the blackberry playbook, I bought one from cowboom about 6 months ago it is a refurb unit I think I paid about $125, it is a great tablet I've streamed movies from it all the time good picture and great size not too big not too small, 7 inch display

[quote name='Scorch']Whatever you end up getting, don't forget the power converter[/QUOTE]

Already ahead of you ;)

[quote name='bossman']Best buy has the 1st gen amazon kindle fire for $99.99. It is geek squad refurbished though.

https://clearance.bestbuy.com/detai...eration-geek-squad-certified-refurbished/2685[/QUOTE]

It says 7-8 hours battery life, does that seem right? I just assumed these tablets would have 10+ hours of battery life.

[quote name='jaritter']I would recommend the blackberry playbook, I bought one from cowboom about 6 months ago it is a refurb unit I think I paid about $125, it is a great tablet I've streamed movies from it all the time good picture and great size not too big not too small, 7 inch display[/QUOTE]

How is the battery life? I think I will load most of my movies to the hard drive, since I'll be doing a lot of watching from the plane.

Also, general question. Is there any way or any particular tablet which can read off of a USB flash drive? I have a 32gb USB flash drive that I never use.

Re: tablets and usb drives

You need a usb otg (on the go) cable and the tablet needs to support it for mass storage. Some dont, some do, and some require additional software.

PC Richard & HHGregg are the cheapy tablet HQ $50 to $80 for 7 or 8 inch.

I did score a 9.1, 9.7 & 10.1 inch tablets from kmart(sears had the same deal later) for $99

Really, I'd just spring for a Nexus 7. My sister has a cheap tablet, and it is a HUGE pain to make do anything. Better to spend a bit more, for a lot more functionality;)

I'm almost ready to buy the Nexus 7, simply because its ASUS and a decent price. All of my computers have been ASUS for many years now, and they work flawlessly, so I'm huge on that brand. Especially after coming from my nightmare experiences with HP, but thats another story :]

Thanks guys! I might purchase tonight after work. Is that site reliable? Seems a little fishy, but maybe that is because I never heard of it.

Also side question, it says its an 8gb model. Is there any way that I could use my 32gb USB to store movies to make it have more space? Or am I limited to internal memory/specific memory card? I read that the Nexus 7 has a micro USB slot, but I'm guessing a simple device like this should help, right? Clearly I know nothing about tablets lol...

[quote name='Lazer77']I'm almost ready to buy the Nexus 7, simply because its ASUS and a decent price. All of my computers have been ASUS for many years now, and they work flawlessly, so I'm huge on that brand. Especially after coming from my nightmare experiences with HP, but thats another story :]

Thanks guys! I might purchase tonight after work. Is that site reliable? Seems a little fishy, but maybe that is because I never heard of it.

Also side question, it says its an 8gb model. Is there any way that I could use my 32gb USB to store movies to make it have more space? Or am I limited to internal memory/specific memory card? I read that the Nexus 7 has a micro USB slot, but I'm guessing a simple device like this should help, right? Clearly I know nothing about tablets lol...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't think it does have one:cry: There is a 32gb model, but it's $250. As far as I know there isn't any way of adding memory to it (probably it's biggest downside). Still a great tablet though:)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Actually, I don't think it does have one:cry: There is a 32gb model, but it's $250. As far as I know there isn't any way of adding memory to it (probably it's biggest downside). Still a great tablet though:)[/QUOTE]

Ahh :cry: that's kind of important to me. I want to make sure I can pack as much stuff on there for my trip. I did some searches and I read you can root the Nexus and make it read from USB, but I heard the video has some lagging problems when running off of the USB.

I half considered just buying the Nexus 7 and keeping it for myself for good. But I honestly wouldn't use it enough to warrant keeping it. I use my phone for things like Facebook, games, and music. The only thing the tablet would benefit me is the movies and of course having a nicer and larger screen, but I'm not sure if that is worth $150 to me.

I guess it comes down to the memory now before I decide to buy it, hmm...

[quote name='Lazer77']Ahh :cry: that's kind of important to me. I want to make sure I can pack as much stuff on there for my trip. I did some searches and I read you can root the Nexus and make it read from USB, but I heard the video has some lagging problems when running off of the USB.

I half considered just buying the Nexus 7 and keeping it for myself for good. But I honestly wouldn't use it enough to warrant keeping it. I use my phone for things like Facebook, games, and music. The only thing the tablet would benefit me is the movies and of course having a nicer and larger screen, but I'm not sure if that is worth $150 to me.

I guess it comes down to the memory now before I decide to buy it, hmm...[/QUOTE]
why not root it, and instead of playing the movies from USB, move them to main memory before you watch them.

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']why not root it, and instead of playing the movies from USB, move them to main memory before you watch them.[/QUOTE]

LOL didn't even think of that! I'll think a little more about this but I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Nexus. Simply the name ASUS alone is enough to sell me on things.

Suggestion if you are going nexus 7, check for a coupon for office max or staples here
http://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/
Also go and check your phone book for a coupon for either office max or staples (sometimes you get these 40-50 off $150+ purchase, and yes they work on tablets)
If you can't fine one people on ebay sell there codes for about 5$ (since you only have two weeks have them email you code and you can ship to your house or do store pickup, by ordering online)
http://www.ebay.com/

I had a coupon from phonebook back over the holidays got my mom a NEW nexus 7 for 150 out of pocket, epic price for the product you get.

Also if movie watching is most important I suggest this case
http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Ultra-...F8&qid=1363900633&sr=8-2&keywords=blurex+case
light case and perfect for watching flicks and using skype.

Enjoy!

Welp, purchased the Nexus 7 and two USB OTG (on the go?) cables. That case is nice, but expensive :[

EDIT: bought a knockoff case on eBay, similar to the one you posted. And 3x screen protectors. I take care of my stuff lol... granted that all this cost me $10, including the USB cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah well I still would have went my route, ballpark same price and you get new with warranty in a store you can return to if there are hiccups. But each to their own. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

[quote name='bfett9']Ah well I still would have went my route, ballpark same price and you get new with warranty in a store you can return to if there are hiccups. But each to their own. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought of that, but the site (or maybe its through the manufacturer? Somebody) gives a 90 day warranty, which is more than enough for me. I will play around with it when it gets here and I'll see if I decide to keep it or not.

But seriously, thanks for the input guys! I appreciate all of the help from the CAG community as always ;)

Now anyone have any tips for tablet apps? I basically use my phone as a tablet as it is right now, so I might just copy over what I have on there.

So I ordered it two weeks ago, still says processing. I read some reviews of the site online, it is a legit site but with shady practices. Sometimes the order takes a month to arrive, if not more. Other times they say the order was shipped, but it never arrives. Other times you're just in the "processing limbo" until you dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Welp...I hope it comes before my trip. Or better yet, I hope it comes, period.

Yeah so unfortunately I think I ****ed myself with this one when I continue to read. I bought screen protectors and cases for it, and I highly doubt I'll even receive it. I'll go to my credit card company soon.

[quote name='Lazer77']So I ordered it two weeks ago, still says processing. I read some reviews of the site online, it is a legit site but with shady practices. Sometimes the order takes a month to arrive, if not more. Other times they say the order was shipped, but it never arrives. Other times you're just in the "processing limbo" until you dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Welp...I hope it comes before my trip. Or better yet, I hope it comes, period.[/QUOTE]

I have ordered from the site before with no problems. Maybe you should contact them to see what is up. And if you ordered late on the 21st it has only been 5 business days (the FAQ says 5-10 normally). So don't give up hope yet.

[quote name='E_G_Man']I have ordered from the site before with no problems. Maybe you should contact them to see what is up. And if you ordered late on the 21st it has only been 5 business days (the FAQ says 5-10 normally). So don't give up hope yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm just looking at the reviews here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/1_Sale_a_Day

And it all sounds like shady practices in general. I'll be patient for a little longer.

Have you looked into a rooted nook color? I believe that would run u under 100 and has room for expansion with microsd card.

1saleaday is a completely legit site, they just take their time with shipping (and also use the slowest/cheapest method) so sometimes it can take awhile to receive your items. That being said, I've never had to wait more than two weeks.

[quote name='Steggy']Have you looked into a rooted nook color? I believe that would run u under 100 and has room for expansion with microsd card.[/QUOTE]

This would have been my suggestion.

You can pick them up for $60 on Cowboom. Root it, put Cyanogenmod on it, get a 32gb microSD card, a cheap case and screen protector on eBay, and you'd be good to go for just under $100.

Not anywhere near as fast as the newest tablets, but I still use mine to watch Netflix, surf the internet with lots of tabs, and play the Android games I get from the Humble Bundles and the Amazon free app of the day. Never had any problems yet.

[quote name='SEH']1saleaday is a completely legit site, they just take their time with shipping (and also use the slowest/cheapest method) so sometimes it can take awhile to receive your items. That being said, I've never had to wait more than two weeks.[/QUOTE]

I ordered on 3/21 and my order is still "processing" :cry:

Finally came today! Working on rooting it now.

I honestly think the problem with the site is that they sell orders before they get their stock of the item in...

I know you already bought yours but I have the 7" nook hd and for just surfing around and listening to Pandora etc. it's a pretty good purchase. I got it for $100 brand new off CL.

I plan on getting a microsd card with regular android on it to dual boot but as of right now it's pretty nice.

bread's done
Back