I want out. I'm looking towards Australia. Anyone been? Live there?

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I currently live in Southern California and I'm tired of it. I want a change... drastic change. My sister applied for a study abroad program in Australia for next year, and I have been planning on going with her if she gets accepted... but the more I think about it, the more I think I want to go regardless. I am in my [early early] preliminary research phase and was wondering if there are any CAGs who have travelled there a few times or live there, and could offer opinions on... well, anything. I'm particularly interested in people who have moved there [or ANYWHERE] from the U.S.

I don't even know what specific questions I have but I do know that it is getting to the point where I can't afford to live in SoCal anymore. I am two classes away from a bachelors in Political Science which I assume would be almost useless over there [not that it is worth much here, but I chose a global concentration rather than a general US concentration]. Anything... advice from people living abroad, stories, anything. Even alternative places to live besides Australia.

The only stipulations are that it can't be more expensive than SoCal, and I don't want to learn another language.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='chasemurata']How about Canada, or is that too close?[/QUOTE]

Canada isn't my first choice, but it is an option. Oddly, it does feel too close. I want to be GONE... not, like... "Into the Wild" gone or anything, but I would love to have a massive body of water in between me and my current location. I am looking at moving sometime between January and March of next year so I have a little time to plan.

australia rocks. Sydney is a lot like SanFran with a really big counter-culture/alt lifestyle scene. beautiful city. when i was there, it was *much* less expensive than NYC suburbs (where I lived at the time) but similar to the mid-atlantic states of cost of living (ex. a house that would cost $200,000 USD would cost $200,000 AUSD) but then you factored in that $1AUSD was like 66cents, it made shit CHEAP. Now that the AUSD=USD, it's not as cheap as it was but it is still a metric fucking ton less than Cali.

Just remember that online purchases will be a lot greater if you move to Australia and purchase from North American stores. I know people who live in Australia who constantly express disgust in shipping costs.

[quote name='Chika']Now that the AUSD=USD, it's not as cheap as it was but it is still a metric fucking ton less than Cali.[/QUOTE]

I love metric fucktons of cheapness. As a student working part time, I am barely hanging on by a thread every month. I am always stressed about money and it makes shit tough. Sure, California weather blah blah blah. But fuck it, I rather live in a place with weather that may not be on par with CA but where I can live comfortably. I have no problem with living in a place that has 4 distinct seasons versus a constant seemingly-single season.

Watch out for the killer ants, and spiders and everything else that will kill you with one bite... in your sleep!

[quote name='chasemurata']Just remember that online purchases will be a lot greater if you move to Australia and purchase from North American stores. I know people who live in Australia who constantly express disgust in shipping costs.[/QUOTE]

Noted. Definitely something to consider, although I really do virtually no online shopping.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Watch out for the killer ants, and spiders and everything else that will kill you with one bite... in your sleep![/QUOTE]

=[ funny enough, this was actually one of the things I was a bit concerned over. Spiders are my arch-nemesis.

[quote name='Diiz']I love metric fucktons of cheapness. As a student working part time, I am barely hanging on by a thread every month. I am always stressed about money and it makes shit tough. Sure, California weather blah blah blah. But fuck it, I rather live in a place with weather that may not be on par with CA but where I can live comfortably. I have no problem with living in a place that has 4 distinct seasons versus a constant seemingly-single season.[/quote]

Australia has 2 seasons - sunny and slightly rainy. Or if you live in Melborne rainy and really rainy :D

I grew up there, from what I remember the people are nice but they do tend to be a bit racist (just sayin...)

Those seasons sound perfect... Melbourne might sound even more perfect. I love the rain but Seattle is much much too close and WAY too expensive.

I always kinda wanted to go some place that was on the edge of the world, like Hawaii or Antartica. Getting stranded on a desert island (with plenty of coconuts and antibiotics) doesn't sound too bad to me.

I've even read the "survival guides" so I know how to make alcohol on an island (take a green coconut, nail it to a tree, collect the milk below, in a few hours you've got blotto juice)

I currently live in France, it's fun, but there is a lot of culture shock.

Australia probably less so.

I did get accepted to work at McMurdo Station in Antartica, but I turned it down because my girlfriend wasn't havin' that.

Alexander%20and%20the%20Terrible,%20Horrible,%20No%20Good,%20Very%20Bad%20Day.jpg

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Or you could just move to Hawai'i and still have the ocean seperation without the hassle.[/quote]

Seconded.

Beautiful weather. No need for a VISA to stay.

Cost of living is out the butt, but I'm sure it isn't a lot more than SoCal.

However, there are plenty of tourism jobs out there.

Hawaii is nice and all, but hell if I am going somewhere MORE expensive than CA. That is one of my main problems at the moment.

[quote name='Diiz']Hawaii is nice and all, but hell if I am going somewhere MORE expensive than CA. That is one of my main problems at the moment.[/quote]

Plus the polulation density.

Plus Australian beaches may be the best in the world (Hawaii beaches are absolutely incredible but Australian beaches are simply breathtaking)

I thought Australia was one of the countries that didn't accept too many immigrants.

I'm in the same boat as you dude. Once I finish up college I want to get the hell out of Cali.

If I could choose a country i'd go for Russia. They pay incredibly well for people in my major (Aerospace engineering). I think there was some US policy against moving there to work on military technology though.

[quote name='Diiz']Hawaii is nice and all, but hell if I am going somewhere MORE expensive than CA. That is one of my main problems at the moment.[/quote]

Use Hawaii as a holdover until you can get a permanent visa to Australia.

If the continental 48 goes to pot, you'll be happy you're 4 hours of flying time away from CA.

EDIT: Of course, Pearl Harbor is less than a hour away from anywhere in the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']Hawaii might be a poor choice if the U.S. experiences food shortages.[/quote]

Uh, no.

Volcanic soil is very fertile. The weather ensures a nearly year long growing season and the ocean is full of fish.

I'm not saying they can support 10 million people, but they aren't as bad off as Antarctica.

Hawaii is kind of silly in my view if cost of living is the main reason he want's out of CA. I'd just move some where cheaper in the continental US while waiting on a Visa if he's set on going to Australia.

Or think of going to Europe if he doesn't mind learning a language to live outside a majo, expensive city.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Uh, no.

Volcanic soil is very fertile. The weather ensures a nearly year long growing season and the ocean is full of fish.

I'm not saying they can support 10 million people, but they aren't as bad off as Antarctica.[/quote]

True the soil is good, but Hawaii food prices are unbelievable even today.

[quote name='Chika']australia rocks. Sydney is a lot like SanFran with a really big counter-culture/alt lifestyle scene. beautiful city. when i was there, it was *much* less expensive than NYC suburbs (where I lived at the time) but similar to the mid-atlantic states of cost of living (ex. a house that would cost $200,000 USD would cost $200,000 AUSD) but then you factored in that $1AUSD was like 66cents, it made shit CHEAP. Now that the AUSD=USD, it's not as cheap as it was but it is still a metric fucking ton less than Cali.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this statement. I visited Sydney in May and I found everything to be about 30% more expensive than the US (I live in NorCal). Considering the shitty value of the dollar, I'd suggest you do all of your research, including whether or not you'll be able to work there.

If you can make it happen then I say go for it. Sydney is a beautiful city and many of the locals said the rest of Australia is even better (Perth is supposedly like San Diego before the mass migration of the mid-nineties). My wife and I loved it so much we wanted to live there ourselves. :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hawaii is kind of silly in my view if cost of living is the main reason he want's out of CA. I'd just move some where cheaper in the continental US while waiting on a Visa if he's set on going to Australia.

Or think of going to Europe if he doesn't mind learning a language to live outside a majo, expensive city.[/quote]

Yes, as someone who was born and grew up in Oahu, Hawaii, I can attest to the high cost of living.

If you are serious about relocating to Australia, you will want to save all the money you can get. Moving to Australia is the first step. Staying in Australia is the next. Just prepare for all situations, like possibly being unemployed for a while.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hawaii is kind of silly in my view if cost of living is the main reason he want's out of CA. I'd just move some where cheaper in the continental US while waiting on a Visa if he's set on going to Australia.

Or think of going to Europe if he doesn't mind learning a language to live outside a majo, expensive city.[/quote]

I reread the OP. Yeah, you're right.

Hawaii would be a drastic change, but it would be more expensive.

[quote name='chasemurata']Yes, as someone who was born and grew up in Oahu, Hawaii, I can attest to the high cost of living.

If you are serious about relocating to Australia, you will want to save all the money you can get. Moving to Australia is the first step. Staying in Australia is the next. Just prepare for all situations, like possibly being unemployed for a while.[/quote]

How hard is it to get a job in Oahu?

I spent a semester in Australia recently and absolutely loved it. Sydney is gorgeous, Melbourne is very European, and the other cities all have a distinct personality.

I did find certain things to be a tad more expensive than in the States (food, drinks), but not across the board. Also, the minimum wage in Australia is much, much higher than in the States. I believe (but you should really check) it's around $15-16 AUD.

If you like a lot of cultural things, Sydney is great. The Sydney Opera House, the Sydney Theatre Company, the Sydney Dance Company, and the Belvoir Theatre (to name a few) are all in close proximity. I have no idea what the economy is like, though I thought the people were generally really cool and there was a lot to see and do.

The one fantastic thing about Australia is there is a prevailing laid back attitude that is so nice compared to uptight, tense America. People are chill, you don't find (as often) people screaming in airports, cussing out waiters, flipping each other off in traffic, etc etc. Now, this is all my opinion based on living there a few months, but I found it to be on the whole, much more relaxed than urban Boston.

Good luck with your move if you do go.

If you want to get a world away from SoCal, might I suggest NorCal? We speak a similar language to yours, but our people are less superficial and our women have real breasts.

Australia isn't much of a change. Go somewhere that's actually different -- Asia, Africa, certain European countries.

I never understood people who study abroad in Australia / New Zealand / France / Italy / whatever... why go to a country so western? If you like the western culture, why leave America?

Let go of any inhibitions and dive head first into something drastically different. Expose yourself to a different culture. South America, Africa, India, etc, etc.

My roommate and a few other mutual friends studied in Australia for a semester last year. They really loved it, but, having spent an additional week there, all agreed that New Zealand would be a far better place to live.

bread's done
Back