I want to fall in love again

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but since it isn't console specific, I'll post it here.

We all go through lull's with our hobbies. Video gaming was a mainstay fixture since I've been 5. Sometimes, I play a lot, sometimes a little, but its always there. It's funny, in the last few years, I've probably purchased more games than any other point in my life (part CAG part having more money), but most of them are barely played.

I'm coming up on a few weeks here where I actually have time to devote back to video games, where it can be important again. What game (games) will get that feeling going. For the current gen, I have the 360 and a Wii. I have all the older generation games.

Over the past 2 months, here are some of the games I've been playing

Assassin's Creed (really enjoyed, but finished)
Metroid Prime 3 (hasn't grabbed me yet)
Tales of Symphonia (played for 3 hours, enjoy but hasn't grabbed me)
Jade Empire (played for a half hour, same as TOS)
God of War (enjoying, but my PS2 won't always read it, makes it hard to look forward to)
Saints Row (enjoy, but after a few days, don't seem to want to play for another week).
Rainbow 6 Vegas (I get frusterated when I get stuck, won't play for a few days, then pick it back up).
Project Gotham 3 (enjoy, thought there would be more people online though).

Last game to really grab me was probably Halo 3, enjoyed it for a month, but had my fill (FPS's outside of Halo don't really play that strong with me). I put 100+ hours into Oblvion a few years ago.

So, what's the best way to start enjoying the hobby to the fullest again? Are that ary games in the $20 range that are must plays that I may have missed (obviously can't list every game I've played, etc).

But, maybe just more generally, people feel like this from time to time. Does your passion ever come back (obviously, it'll never be like when I was 12 again, with work and a family, video games can't be number 1 or 2 anymore).

Any thoughts appreciated.

[quote name='lordxixor101']

So, what's the best way to start enjoying the hobby to the fullest again? Are that ary games in the $20 range that are must plays that I may have missed (obviously can't list every game I've played, etc).

But, maybe just more generally, people feel like this from time to time. Does your passion ever come back (obviously, it'll never be like when I was 12 again, with work and a family, video games can't be number 1 or 2 anymore).
.[/QUOTE]

You're burned out.

I found I got burned out when I hit up forums and spent too much time on the net talking about games, instead of actually playing them - I cut back on my forum time, I cut back on the time I took to look for cheap deals (either I got it or I don't when I hit up 1 or 2 stores, with very rare exceptions... most things I just buy full price now), and I just simply game.

I've had a lot more fun this way.

It could also just be the stress of everyday life makes it hard to unwind while you're playing a game.

Let me just say to an extent, I kind of want to fall in love again.

There's no denying I have enjoyed various games on various platforms; however, I've been growing sick of gaming for quite a while. The main reason is having a massive backlog, and can never figure out what to play. Also, I pretty much forced myself at one point to play a game daily. Visiting messageboards every single day made me sick of gaming (well, I've probably viewed a gaming message board (or website) every single day for at least 5 years in a row).

I still like playing Rock Band, Warhawk, Hot Shots Golf: OoB, Mario Kart Wii, etc. at times, but my love for gaming just isn't there like it use to be since I have way too many unfinished games. That's kind of why I'm starting to want to sell almost all my video games and let someone else have them.

But my main problem is, I need a new hobby, badly, but just cannot find another (or anything else to do besides gaming), so I continue forcing myself to play games because that's all I really have to do.

I just kind of wonder if I should play games more to fall in love again, or if I should just take a long break from gaming (no messageboards, not buying any new games for a while) to get back into it more (I still like playing games occassionally, but my love continues to decrease where I bought several games, and most get un-played (like I haven't really played Eternal Sonata as an example)).

Before I use to be mostly RPGs, but lately I've tried to widen my taste playing online more, but it still hasn't helped enough. I tried different types of games on Wii/DS over the years, but didn't exactly revitalize my interests in gaming. I've played games on all my platforms and my love just isn't there, but it's probably mostly too much gaming.

I know my post is quite difficult to understand because I went all over the place, let's just put it as:
-I visit gaming forums and news sites WAY too much. Yes, I'm mostly sick of forum arguments (not really just here, many forums I see) getting me stressed out.
-I can't go one month without getting a new game.
-My backlog is still pretty big, and I'm starting to careless now if most all my games were gone. I have a crazy number of un-finished games. I have tons of RPGs, action games, etc. and do I feel like finishing them right now.......not really.
-I want a new hobby, but cannot find another, so I just play more and more games.

The solution for that is to simply stop buying games, or finish what you buy.

I make myself finish what I'm currently playing before opening something new, even if it's something I just bought, this way I'm not throwing my cash away. I also don't get 20 - 30 half finished games that feel more like a chore to go back to rather than fun, which is what a backlog is to most people - this overbearing chore that they feel like they *have* to go back to.

The other rule is that if I'm not having fun with the game, I simply get rid of it... I don't force myself to have fun with games I don't like.

[quote name='Roufuss']
The other rule is that if I'm not having fun with the game, I simply get rid of it... I don't force myself to have fun with games I don't like.[/quote]

QFT

I tried to love SMT and FF games but I simply don't like RPGs and it took me too long to realize that.

But I'm also in a slump of I read about games and try to score deals more than I play them and it's taken MOST of the fun out of gaming. For a minute I thought that I was maybe growing out of it (Turning 26 over summer, have had a game system since I was 8), but when I'm over a friends house playing something the fun comes back. So I think it's just a matter of figuring out what makes it fun for you and focusing on that.

Mana,

That is how I'm feeling. I guess part of my problem is that I have tons of backlog, but they rarely appeal to me. When I get a game that clicks (like Assassin's Creed did for me), I finish it and really enjoy the experience. But, those seem few and far between these days.

I would stop looking at gaming forums for a bit, but part of my problem is that I look at these for a few minutes several times a day as a break at work. So, to give that up would make for a very long day. Really, once I'm home, I rarely look up anything gaming related on the computer unless it's a check right before I'm out the door to a gamestore to get a game.

I am in the same situation as the OP, it feels like games dont appeal that much to me anymore, I use to look forward everyday to playing an RPG of the sorts, but now it seems like I FORCE myself to play a game, but yet I cant stop buying games and even at full price, and 80% of the time I play the game no longer then 25% through. I want to get the burning passion again, it was great, kept me out of trouble, and help me relieve the everyday stress of life.

[quote name='QiG']QFT

I tried to love SMT and FF games but I simply don't like RPGs and it took me too long to realize that.

But I'm also in a slump of I read about games and try to score deals more than I play them and it's taken MOST of the fun out of gaming. For a minute I thought that I was maybe growing out of it (Turning 26 over summer, have had a game system since I was 8), but when I'm over a friends house playing something the fun comes back. So I think it's just a matter of figuring out what makes it fun for you and focusing on that.[/QUOTE]I'll be the first to admit, I probably spend more time deciding whether I should buy a certain game (looking at impressions, watching videos, etc.) than actually playing it when I buy. There are many games I do play more, but there are some I've done that to. I'll admit I'm tempted to buy Sega Rally Revo because I enjoyed the demo, but I have over 10 racers on next gen consoles, already have another rally racer I prefer, and may not even really play it.
[quote name='lordxixor101']Mana,

That is how I'm feeling. I guess part of my problem is that I have tons of backlog, but they rarely appeal to me. When I get a game that clicks (like Assassin's Creed did for me), I finish it and really enjoy the experience. But, those seem few and far between these days.

I would stop looking at gaming forums for a bit, but part of my problem is that I look at these for a few minutes several times a day as a break at work. So, to give that up would make for a very long day. Really, once I'm home, I rarely look up anything gaming related on the computer unless it's a check right before I'm out the door to a gamestore to get a game.[/QUOTE]I could say that was me with Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD and Uncharted especially (on PS3). I've left a crazy number of games unfinished, but Uncharted was the first game since Xenosaga Episode III I badly wanted to finish, so I did.[quote name='Poor2More']I am in the same situation as the OP, it feels like games dont appeal that much to me anymore, I use to look forward everyday to playing an RPG of the sorts, but now it seems like I FORCE myself to play a game, but yet I cant stop buying games and even at full price, and 80% of the time I play the game no longer then 25% through. I want to get the burning passion again, it was great, kept me out of trouble, and help me relieve the everyday stress of life.[/QUOTE]
That's me.

Close to around the end of college and now, I bought the following games:
Beautiful Katamari (360), only 9% complete
Crisis Core: FFVII (PSP), played when I got it, but then I had project problems and had to stop, need to get back.
DDR Universe 2 (360), play it occasionally (doing pretty good).
Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3), played a few missions.
Eternal Sonata (360), only played for 40 minutes
GT5: Prologue (PS3), Beat C class mode and sometimes play since I love the controls
Mana Khemia (PS2), played for maybe 1 hour
Mario Kart Wii (Wii), Almost done with 100 class and play online sometimes.
Rock Band (PS3), Play often
Sega Superstars Tennis (PS3), play a few times every week
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP), only played my retail copy once, but originally had a review copy of it which I mostly played.
Wipeout Pulse (PSP), played early on (almost done with the 2nd set of races)

I have MGS4 fully paid, plan to pick up SingStar next week.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Mana,

I would stop looking at gaming forums for a bit, but part of my problem is that I look at these for a few minutes several times a day as a break at work. So, to give that up would make for a very long day. Really, once I'm home, I rarely look up anything gaming related on the computer unless it's a check right before I'm out the door to a gamestore to get a game.[/QUOTE]

Then simply sell the backlog, keep the games you really love, and enjoy them to their fullest.

You don't need to keep buying games just because they are on sale, unless it's something you're really going to enjoy right then and there. I've bought a few games on clearance last week, and I've already finished half of them, they were good times. But I wasn't buying them simply because they were 50% off even though I wasn't going to play them for awhile.

The concept of a backlog kills gaming for a lot of people, because they view it more as work instead of fun. It's the same with trying to score that cheap deal, most of the time for me it feels more like work than it does fun.

[quote name='Roufuss']Then simply sell the backlog, keep the games you really love, and enjoy them to their fullest.

You don't need to keep buying games just because they are on sale, unless it's something you're really going to enjoy right then and there. I've bought a few games on clearance last week, and I've already finished half of them, they were good times. But I wasn't buying them simply because they were 50% off even though I wasn't going to play them for awhile.

The concept of a backlog kills gaming for a lot of people, because they view it more as work instead of fun. It's the same with trying to score that cheap deal, most of the time for me it feels more like work than it does fun.[/QUOTE]Exactly, I agree with you there. I feel like gaming has become more of a job than hobby, because of my backlog.

Like in the backlog thread, I posted my PS2 backlog (I had many more great RPGs, but got rid of some already):
PS2
.hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth
Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ape Escape 2 (near end)
Ape Escape 3 (near end)
Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Atelier Iris 2 ~The Azoth of Destiny~
Atelier Iris 3 ~Grand Fantasm~
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Dark Cloud 2
Devil Kings
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy XII
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Gradius V
Grandia III
Growlanser: Generations
Guitar Hero
Hot Shots Golf 3
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Jak 3
Jak II
Jak X: Combat Racing (I played the game quite a bit, but still a lot left to unlock)
Katamari Damacy
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
La Pucelle: Tactics (At end, but too low level)
Mana Khemia
Maximo vs. Army of Zin
Mega Man X Collection
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
MS Saga: A New Dawn
Okami
Ratchet & Clank (On the 2nd to last stage)
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (At the very end, but too low of a level)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Shining Tears
Sky Gunner
Soulcalibur II
Soulcalibur III
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Suikoden V
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Time Crisis 3
Time Crisis II
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Wild ARMs 3
Wild ARMs 4
Wild ARMs 5
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168568

I know some of those games may be questionable to some (like Shining Tears and MS Saga, but I do actually like those games, invested pretty good time into them and would never let them go), but that's what I have and I barely feel like trying to go through them all. It's just hard cutting it down, since I rarely play PS2 these days. Xenosaga games, Kingdom Hearts, FFX, Star Ocean 3, Zone of the Enders series, etc. were beaten.

I guess since I was on CAG for a couple of years, I noticed that I because a compulsive cheap/rare game purchaser. Sometimes, I get more a thrill looking for something as opposed to actually playing. When I start a game and it is too addictive then I have to get rid of it. This was sort of life control for me. When since I started Persona 3 FES, two hours would go by and I thought that I was only like 30 minutes to me. :bomb: I thought that I liked collecting old PS1 games but it turns out that I can't play them. eckkk... It turns out that they look too ugly for me to play them. I don't recall them being so blocky.

However, I do recall some fond memories of these following games:
Xenogears & Xenosaga - Fei and that black mech, 1st appearance of Kosmos
I wished I saw ending of Xenogears. I was played a hacked version of Xenogears since my brother was making fake copies of games years ago. I beat the last boss and the whole game crashed on me. That was the worst gamer's block ever.

Sell the games you don't enjoy (I'm working on this now) and only play the games you really like.

It may be hard to part with games that are well regarded (for me, the Suikoden series), but getting rid of games you bought because they seemed good will cure your fatigue.

Renting games is another great way to keep from burning out, maybe you should subscribe to Gamefly and limit yourself to buying only your absolute favorites.

[quote name='willardhaven']Sell the games you don't enjoy (I'm working on this now) and only play the games you really like.

It may be hard to part with games that are well regarded (for me, the Suikoden series), but getting rid of games you bought because they seemed good will cure your fatigue.

Renting games is another great way to keep from burning out, maybe you should subscribe to Gamefly and limit yourself to buying only your absolute favorites.[/QUOTE]I have the same problem too with the Suikoden series. I will admit I own EVERY U.S. Suikoden game, and I have NEVER beaten one. I did play Suikoden II, III, and V quite a bit (forgot where to go in the first and second). There are other RPG series it's the same way, like I only played Persona 3 for 2 hours and haven't played again.

op-

I was in a lull, then I got a psp for the sole purpose of putting custom firmware on it and seeing where that would take me in terms of old games. It was a new direction in gaming as hobby, a bit more tinkering. Figuring out the best way to get neogeo games on the system, playing Beneath a Steel Sky or Snatcher for first time had a great affect.

Also, okami for wii or ps2 is a treat. And if you have ever had any interest in japanese woodblocks of hokusai stuff, it makes it that much better. For under $20, the first sly cooper is also a gem.

Try not to worry about the sheer number of backlog titles or how you can find the time to play them all, if anything, this is similar to the paradox of choice theory.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
-I want a new hobby, but cannot find another, so I just play more and more games.[/quote]

I've told you this once and I will say it again. Take up Salsa dancing, I think it would be good for you. :bouncy:

I'm starting to feel the same way, but I think I'm just spoiled by such great games, that I can't play anything that falls short of my high standards.

My current games:

Metal Gear Online: LOVED it, but didn't get much time to play the beta.
GTA4: Need to rent again and beat it.
Rock Band: As long as there's good DLC, I could play this forever.
GT5P: I'm finally starting to get over this one (had it since December), but I'll start playing again when they update it.

Now I'm waiting (not so)patiently for MGS4. I'm gonna play the shit out of that game when I get it.

I had this problem for almost all of last gen and up until maybe December of last year. I'd buy a ton of games, but rarely played or finished them. I couldn't help but buy games that I knew I'd probably never play, for the simple reason that I knew many people were enjoying them, and I wanted to as well. A lot of those problems were due to owning all 3 consoles last gen, so there were tons of gaming options. The other thing was that I hated to sit in front of the TV for long periods of time doing nothing but staring at the screen and pushing some buttons.

The two things that finally worked for me was getting a Nintendo Wii and going back to handhelds (and selling off every other system I had, even the old old ones). Whenever I play the Wii (with exception to Kart and SSBB) it is just so much fun to play since it feels like I'm actually doing stuff (Wii Sports for example). Kart and SSBB haven't been as fun to me as some of the other stuff since I don't really like the motion controls for them, so it feels like a chore sitting there with my Wavebird and playing.

For the most part though, handhelds have really rekindled the passion I had for gaming when I was a kid. Being able to play them anywhere at any time for any length of time is just fantastic.

Also, I agree with a few other posters that say the internet (message boards specifically) can really kill your love for whatever hobby you participate in. Several hobbies (big ones being watching wrestling and sports) don't have the appeal they once did due to internet influences I read up on daily. I've tried to limit my browsing, but it's really hard to do so.

"Lookin' for love in all the wrong places".

I haven't lost my interest in gaming, just the time to play all the games in my library.

I've made a conscious decision to not buy another game until I finish one (or 2) first. It also helps that I don't waste my time on games that score lower than a 75-80% on Gamerankings.

I'm still "in love" with Call of Duty 4. While it is "great in the sack", I do want to try more "flavors."

*le sigh*

lord,

I know exactly what you're going through. I went through the same thing last year. Most of my thoughts have already been stated, but I'll echo them for reinforcement.

1) Don't buy crap just because it's cheap. I pay full price for everything I want now. When I see deals or clearances I stop and wonder "Why didn't I pay full retail for it?" and then usually just pass on it. As it stands, I still have more games than I can play.

2) Narrow your collection down to about 3-5 games per system that you really want to keep and get rid of most everything else. A backlog only leads to guilt about having things you're not using and completely robs you of any joy in your hobby. The question to ask is "Am I really going to play this [again]?" If the answer isn't a resounding "YES!" ditch it. You can always rebuy it later.

3) Only play through games you enjoy. If something bores you, toss it. Don't be guilted into playing a game because you should like it because everyone else seems to dig it. If you don't, that's awesome. Ditch it any play something else.

4) Maybe just box it all up and put it away for a while. Let yourself fall in love again when you want to. The very premise of your question sounds more like you feel obligated to like gaming than you really want to be back into it.

5) Buying a GBA and then eventually a DS was my gateway to get back into gaming. I had an Xbox but rarely played it. Handhelds have a way of resparking that fire I think.

I've been enjoying the hunt more than actual games lately, so I can agree with the general sentiment here.

I just do not have the time to devote to gaming that I would like. Additionally, nonlinear games like Rock Band tend to monopolize my gaming time -- however, that tends to be time spent socially, which is a plus.

I also notice when I play games I get really bad headaches & eyes hurt within an hour or so, which leads me not to enjoying the game and eventually having to turn it off but this aint cause when I watch TV or play handhelds

back in my hay day in my early teen years I could sit in front of the TV and play nonstop

[quote name='Poor2More']I also notice when I play games I get really bad headaches & eyes hurt within an hour or so, which leads me not to enjoying the game and eventually having to turn it off but this aint cause when I watch TV or play handhelds

back in my hay day in my early teen years I could sit in front of the TV and play nonstop[/quote]

Had your eyes checked lately? Maybe you need glasses. Or, it could be something more serious...

Take up drinking, It kills many brain cells. You'll end up not remembering things, and then 'what's old is new again'

Have you ever played this game Battletoads for NES?? Blew my mind man...

Mine interest in gaming has always ebbed and flowed.

Gamed a ton in the NES and SNES eras, tapered off toward the end of SNES generation Then N64 and PSX gen I gamed a ton the first half then barely at all the latter half.

Last gen was probably my low point, had a few months here and there when I gamed a lot (had all 3 consoles) but overall I didn't play a lot and was debating whether to keep gaming into this gen.

Bought a Wii (sold last gen shit off to play for it)--continued gaming little as I didn't dig the motion controls much and realized I had finally grown a bit tired of even the big Nintendo franchises I'd been playing since my youth.

Picked up a 360 in October and have gamed a ton since them, the most I've played since early in the N64/PSX generation. Discovered a new love for FPS games which I'd never been huge on, enjoying online gaming for the first time, loving HD graphics etc. etc.

Time will tell whether this new infatuation lasts, especially after next year when I'm done with my Ph D and my life gets much busier as an Assistant Professor struggling for tenure.

I also back daroga in saying that just buying stuff you want to play helps a lot. Only having one system and just buying games when I need something to play (or can get them off of Goozex) helps keep me from feeling overwhelmed. Last gen with having all three systems and buying games when they were on sale built up a backlong and it kind of felt like trying to work through the games was more a chore than just fun. Now I don't worry about keeping up with games and just pick up whatever I feel like playing through at that time.

Lots of people say to sell the old collection. Well, my collection is huge (probably over 400 games going back to the Atari 2600). I have 2 issues with selling off the collection.

1) I like having a huge collection
2) Most of the games that I would be willing to part with would bring very little back. If I'm getting a buck or two from a game, I'd rather hold on to it on the off chance I may play it again. In fairness, I've held onto games for years, and eventually got in the mood to try a game and gave it a decent run.

I agree on buying only the best games, and not just buying cheap. But, there are a handful of games (Saints Row, Rainbow Six Vegas, Endless Ocean), that I was really looking forward to. These weren't impulse buys at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I've had many purchases where I was bored or just having a bad day, so I allowed myself to go to the game store for a cheap purchase. Some of these work out (Prince of Persia Sands of Time was one of these), others don't. But, I figure if I'm not buying a $5 game, I'd go do something else that would likely cost me $5, so I'm not too worried about those (they aren't blowing a hole in the budget or anything)

I am in love.

Lucky for me, backlogs don't affect me much. I don't mind that I have tons of games left untouched. I love collecting games/gaming stuff as much as I enjoy playing them.

BUT I really do love fighting games.

America fuck yea.

Yeah, if the backlogs don't bother you then don't worry about it. For me, I'm not a collector of anything and hate having stuff that's not being used clutter up the house--guess I'm a bit of a neat freak.

But if you're not, then don't worry about it. Just take the advice to play games that you have fun with. If you're not digging a game, toss it back in the pile or sell it and try something else until you find something you love to play.

If playing games you are having a ton of fun with, and not wasting time on ones you don't, doesn't respark your interest in gaming probably nothing will. Other than maybe taking a long break and doing some other shit for a while in case you're just burned out on gaming.

I think what helps me is that I game a lot less in the summers as I do more stuff outside, helps me take a break and get ready to game more during the fall/winter when the weather turns and the big games start coming out in mass.

[quote name='MarkMan']I am in love.

Lucky for me, backlogs don't affect me much. I don't mind that I have tons of games left untouched. I love collecting games/gaming stuff as much as I enjoy playing them.

America fuck yea.[/quote]

Perhaps here.... things will be different.

Bioshock is an amazing game.

Also join in with the CAG Halo 3 gaming night and you'll fall in love with Halo again. :D

[quote name='Poor2More']I also notice when I play games I get really bad headaches & eyes hurt within an hour or so, which leads me not to enjoying the game and eventually having to turn it off but this aint cause when I watch TV or play handhelds

back in my hay day in my early teen years I could sit in front of the TV and play nonstop[/QUOTE]That's the same way with me too at times, which partially explains why I can't play games for long. However, I also get very tired (I've actually fallen asleep once during an online game of CoD4, lol).

[quote name='MarkMan']I am in love.

America fuck yea.[/QUOTE]Well, I don't have all the money like you do. :whistle2:( I have no job right now, yet I have tons of games just sitting around. That's what bugs me.

[quote name='shieryda']
I've made a conscious decision to not buy another game until I finish one (or 2) first. It also helps that I don't waste my time on games that score lower than a 75-80% on Gamerankings.[/QUOTE]In my case, the games I tend to like don't always get good scores, which makes it more difficult (Zone of the Enders, Gun Valkyrie, Mega Man Network Transmission, etc. were games I really loved last gen, and they didn't get too good of reviews).

[quote name='shieryda']Had your eyes checked lately? Maybe you need glasses. Or, it could be something more serious...[/quote]

Im positive I need glasses, but come on bro did you have to say could be sumthing else more seriouse;)

1. Stick to only AAA titles in genres you enjoy. Don't listen to the hype on forums about the new game of the week. If I listed all the "highly-regarded" games that I don't like the forum would probably asplode and I'd get banned. This will keep the backlog down.

2. Focus on one game at a time. Games are complex beasts these days. Control schemes are difficult to adjust to from game to game. It's easier to pick up and play a game if the controls are familiar and you don't have to re-learn everything.

3. Stop the online multiplayer obsession. I'm amazed to see how many people bought GTA4, booted the game and got the "off the boat" achievement, and then went straight into multiplayer. Now there's a real time sink that will keep you from finishing games. Stick to one online game that you always enjoy, e.g. Counter-Strike, WoW, etc...

4. Get a battle buddy. I'll give a serious look at any game with split-screen co-op. Playing with a friend next to you is a very rewarding experience.

5. [quote name='manthing']Take up drinking, It kills many brain cells. You'll end up not remembering things, and then 'what's old is new again'

Have you ever played this game Battletoads for NES?? Blew my mind man...[/QUOTE]

There's probably more but this is what I can think of right now.

[quote name='Poor2More']Im positive I need glasses, but come on bro did you have to say could be sumthing else more seriouse;)[/QUOTE]I won't get my eyes checked. I can't afford it and don't want to look nerdy. ;) :p

[quote name='NTolerance']1. Stick to only AAA titles in genres you enjoy. Don't listen to the hype on forums about the new game of the week. If I listed all the "highly-regarded" games that I don't like the forum would probably asplode and I'd get banned. This will keep the backlog down.

2. Focus on one game at a time. Games are complex beasts these days. Control schemes are difficult to adjust to from game to game. It's easier to pick up and play a game if the controls are familiar and you don't have to re-learn everything.

3. Stop the online multiplayer obsession. I'm amazed to see how many people bought GTA4, booted the game and got the "off the boat" achievement, and then went straight into multiplayer. Now there's a real time sink that will keep you from finishing games. Stick to one online game that you always enjoy, e.g. Counter-Strike, WoW, etc...

4. Get a battle buddy. I'll give a serious look at any game with split-screen co-op. Playing with a friend next to you is a very rewarding experience.

There's probably more but this is what I can think of right now.[/QUOTE]To be honest, I would have never played CoD4 if PSN friends and people at CAG didn't try to get me into it (since I'm not into FPS). I ended up liking it and got many other non FPS people into it (one of my friends plays CoD4 more than anything, and he didn't want to buy it originally).

[quote name='NTolerance']1. Stick to only AAA titles in genres you enjoy. Don't listen to the hype on forums about the new game of the week. If I listed all the "highly-regarded" games that I don't like the forum would probably asplode and I'd get banned. This will keep the backlog down.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with all of those except number 3. Some people just prefer online multiplayer to single player. Nothing wrong with that. Can be a good thing in terms of saving money, not building a backlog etc. since one can put much more time into an online game than most single player games.

Number 1 and 2 are rules I pretty much live by now though. I just stick to AAA games in genres I love and try to only play one main single player game at a time. I generally tackle one 360 single player game at a time, and for variety play some more pick up and play games like Guitar Hero or jumping on CoD4 online etc. I'm usually also playing something on the DS, generally just 30 mins or so at night before going to sleep.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I won't get my eyes checked. I can't afford it and don't want to look nerdy. ;) :p
[/QUOTE]

Not all glasses look nerdy, and there's always contacts. When you get money, get them checked. Going without them if you need them can just make your eyes worse from the straining and make you're life more miserable in the long run.

I agree with the cutting out the backlog and not buying games just because they are cheap advice that has already been given. I have a milk crate that holds all of my games. If the milk crate becomes too full, I get rid of the games I have never played (and most likely never will play) or games I have already beaten and will never play again.

It helps that my wife gets in my shit when I am buying games just because they are cheap. I hate to hear her argument that I have enough games, but it actually is true.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agree with all of those except number 3. Some people just prefer online multiplayer to single player. Nothing wrong with that. Can be a good thing in terms of saving money, not building a backlog etc. since one can put much more time into an online game than most single player games.

Number 1 and 2 are rules I pretty much live by now though. I just stick to AAA games in genres I love and try to only play one main single player game at a time. I generally tackle one 360 single player game at a time, and for variety play some more pick up and play games like Guitar Hero or jumping on CoD4 online etc. I'm usually also playing something on the DS, generally just 30 mins or so at night before going to sleep.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy online multiplayer too, but I generally stick to 1-2 online games. Most online components are half-baked. There's a reason why there's only a few games on the 360/PC that the community still plays after the first-month online blitz. Don't play online just because it's there, play it because it's OMG AAA and in your favorite genre just like we have talked about regarding single player games.

I'd also like to expand on the whole time sink thing. There's way too much emphasis on LONG games these days. If you have a backlog of games, you're either a spoiled brat or you're an adult with disposable income who likely has a finite amount of free time to play games. It's a daunting task to allocate the 40+ hours that some games these days require. As noted by others in this thread, the DS has re-invigorated a lot of people due to its pick up and play nature. Any game that requires a massive amount of time is going to make you think twice before picking it up off the shelf.

[quote name='NTolerance']I enjoy online multiplayer too, but I generally stick to 1-2 online games. Most online components are half-baked. There's a reason why there's only a few games on the 360/PC that the community still plays after the first-month online blitz. Don't play online just because it's there, play it because it's OMG AAA and in your favorite genre just like we have talked about regarding single player games. [/quote]

Agreed, the same AAA quality standard should apply to online gaming. I was just saying that there's nothing wrong with just laying Halo 3 and CoD4 for a year if that's what excites someone.

I'd also like to expand on the whole time sink thing. There's way too much emphasis on LONG games these days. If you have a backlog of games, you're either a spoiled brat or you're an adult with disposable income who likely has a finite amount of free time to play games. It's a daunting task to allocate the 40+ hours that some games these days require.

The other side of that coin is they can be a good way to save money and not build a back long. Just spend a month or two playing through a long game in 1 hour sessions vs. playing 3 or 4 10 hour games.

Just a matter of whether longer games hold your interest. For some, a few shorter games will give them more enjoyment than 1 longer one.

I go back and forth, generally I like the vareity of playing a few shorter games versus one long one. But a couple times a year I like to play a Zelda or Mass Effect that is pretty much all I play for a month or two as I like the indepth and engrossing experience that comes with such involved and detailed games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not all glasses look nerdy, and there's always contacts. When you get money, get them checked. Going without them if you need them can just make your eyes worse from the straining and make you're life more miserable in the long run.[/QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of contacts since I flinch whenever I try to touch my eyes. ;) I know what you mean on waiting can be a bad thing, because the headaches continue to get worse and I really struggle to sit in front of my computer, play a game, etc. these days because of strain (I also almost failed the last vision test at the DMV).

I end up buying too many games at times because:
-Let's say a game by some niche publisher comes out who brings out interesting games, I sometimes feel compelled to support them (I'm talking about NIS, Atlus, etc. here) and I'll buy early.
-Sometimes, there are too many games I want to play one month, so I buy all.
-Sometimes, I may see a cheap deal on a game I liked the demo, although I may already have too many games in that genre.
-Sometimes, when I see friends playing a certain game, I get compelled to buy it so I can play with them.
-Sometimes, I buy a game too early with the fear I'll never see it again (some games were that way, although usually niche).

Right now I have a tough decision. There are a few games I like (such as Maximo vs. The Army of Zin on PS2), but I honestly don't think I'll play it again. I want to keep it because it's fun, there will never be another Maximo, and I could only get $1.50 trade-in credit for it at Gamestop. However, I don't want to keep it because it only adds to my backlog and makes me dislike gaming even more (and I get tired of hauling it along with my other games when moving).

I also have some difficulties letting rares I may never play go. Sometimes I feel I should own them, because it might mean something good about me, but then again I may never play it (mostly talking about Suikoden games here and some others).

You just need to get over those compulsions and just buy stuff you want to play right then, with the possible exception of the niche games that you want to support/may be hard to find later.

With other games, waiting keeps your back log down and saves you money as they'll be cheaper down the road when you have time to buy and play them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']You just need to get over those compulsions and just buy stuff you want to play right then, with the possible exception of the niche games that you want to support/may be hard to find later.

With other games, waiting keeps your back log down and saves you money as they'll be cheaper down the road when you have time to buy and play them.[/QUOTE]

Waiting. Now that's a good one. Most CAGs should know this concept. I was late to the whole 360 party, so as a result, I got a ton of great titles that were 2 years old at really good prices. Don't buy games on release unless they're guaranteed to be rare (few modern games fall into this category) or if you're motivated to play it right away regardless of the forum hype.

Yep. Only thing I'll buy day one is something I personally can't wait to play or a big online game as you don't want to get behind the curve and jump in against people who've been playing for months.

bread's done
Back