I want to (re)live your SNES & NES nostalgia

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
So I got on an NES & SNES kick but I am playing the same games I did when I was a kid. I want to branch out. What were some SNES games that you absolutely loved that I might not have played. In general, I know the games and have played the games that universally kick ass like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, etc. Would love to hear everyone's favorites.

Zelda: A Link to the Past and Donkey Kong Country. However I'm sure you have already played or have those.

We had a Ren and Stimpy game that was pretty fun at the time, and hard too.

One of my favorite RPGs is still Lufia/Lufia 2. Lufia 1 is very linear, and neither is really hard, but there's just something about them that puts the series above all RPGs but Secret of Mana for me.

Knights of the Round was also a decent side scroller. Frustrating at times, but I liked the fantasy genre most.

Bomberman and Contra multiplayer were also fun.

Bahamut Lagoon, Tales of Phantasia...

Here's a good list:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/02/best-undiscovered-super-nintendo-snes.html

(I hated Terranigma though. Because you had to be above a certain level to fight a boss, and I walked in there 2 levels early and did only 1 dmg per hit. I gave up after that. I don't like griding in action RPGs.)

Mega Man X (1-3), Zombies ate my Neighbors, Tetris Attack, Yoshi's Island, Jurassic Park 2 : The Chaos Continues, Out of this World.

Oh man I could go on forever.

Thanks so far. That was a great link/list a lot of those games don't look familiar to me.

I'll have to check out Jurassic Park 2. I owned the first one and played it a lot, I don't know anything about the second.

Both systems have great libraries with a ton of well-known games, but I'll suggest a few of my favorites that you might not have played.

NES:
Kid Icarus, and Bionic Commando - you've probably played these, but still...
Rygar - a overlooked, misunderstood, and difficult game, but good
Cobra Triangle - think RC Pro-AM on the water

SNES:
Cybernator, and Metal Warriors - giant robots!
Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Goemon
Yoshi's Island (a criminally underplayed Mario game)

I actually didn't like Yoshi's Island; thought it was on the too easy side compared to other Mario games.

I also didn't realize you were asking for NES games either. So here's some NES ones I used to play at a friend's house, multiplayer of course.

Chip and Dale
Little Ninja Brothers

ah, it's very nostalgic to hear some of these titles. My favorites in no order

chip and dale NES - coop fun! the last level music was soooo good if anyone can recall it. We got so good at one point (not hard to do) we were running through the levels trying to kill each other. Unintended NES multiplayer!

Terranigma SNES - this was great! Like someone said earlier, there is grinding to do. I liked this game alot. Action RPG. I believe there was an area with zombies which was awesome.

Megaman 2 and 3 NES - the music was orgasmic!
Breath of fires were very fun.
Blues brothers NES was hard as hell!
Code named Viper NES. Great game.
Many more but can't think of them at the moment.

Here's a few obscure games that might interest you:

SNES:
Demon's Crest
Legend ot the Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon
Sparkster
Lost Vikings
E.V.O.

Don't miss Pilotwings on SNES. And as dumb as it sounds, Super Black Bass is a great game too. And I don't even like fishing all that much.

I personally can't wait until Microsoft see sense and make a HD revamp of Bubble Bobble.. I would pay $60 for that.

To many to choose from but a great few.

SNES
Actraiser
Lufia 2: Rise of the SInistrals (my favorite game of all time)
Super Metroid

NES
River City Ransom
G.I. Joe (the first one was actually a really good shooter)

Some really awesome ones in here that I love. EVO is one of my personal favorites, I had a friend who owned it originally and I played all the time. Actraiser was the first game I replayed when I got on this kick, I usually play that about once a year. Little Ninja Bros is another great one. I would get my (non-gaming) sister to play that with me as well as Secret of Mana. She didn't understand level grinding so she didn't have the same level of patience I did from playing Dragon Warrior.

I think I may try River City Ransom next since I've never played that game at all.

About Lufia...I had the original but never got too far in. I hear that 2 is vastly superior. Should I play Lufia 1 still? I don't really want to sink 40 hours into a mediocre RPG.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']About Lufia...I had the original but never got too far in. I hear that 2 is vastly superior. Should I play Lufia 1 still? I don't really want to sink 40 hours into a mediocre RPG.[/QUOTE]

I would. Lufia 2 is basically 100 years before Lufia, and you're introduced to the Sinistrals. There's also some little things like a certain flower. And you sort of appreciate the other characters in Lufia 2.

That said, I also don't recall Lufia being quite as long as 40 hours.

Nintendo:
Adventures of Lolo
Adventures of Lolo 2
Adventures of Lolo 3
Baseball
Baseball Stars
Batman
Batman: Return of the Joker
Battle of Olympus, The
Battletoads
Battletoads Double Dragon
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Bomberman
Bomberman II
Bubble Bobble
Castle of Dragon
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2
Clash at Demonhead
Contra
Crystalis
Defender II
Déjà vu
Demon Sword
Desert Commander
Dig Dug II
Disney's Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers
Disney's Darkwing Duck
Disney's Duck Tales
Disney's Ducktales 2
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior II
Dragon Warrior III
Dragon Warrior IV
Excitebike
Faxanadu
Final Fantasy
Friday the 13th
G.I. Joe A Real American Hero
G.I. Joe The Atlantis Factor
Goonies II, The
Gremlins 2
Guardian Legend, The
Guerilla
Gyruss
Infiltrator
Iron Sword: Wizards & Warriors II
Journey to Silius
Karnov
Kickle Cubicle
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Kung-Fu Heroes
Legacy of the Wizard
Legend of Kage, The
Legend of Zelda, The
Little Nemo Dream Master
Low G Man
M.C. Kids
M.U.L.E.
Magic of Scheherazade, The
Maniac Mansion
Marble Madness
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Metal Gear
Metal Storm
Metroid
Micro Machines
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
NARC
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
Nobunaga's Ambition
Nobunaga's Ambition II
Paperboy
Power Blade
Power Blade 2
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Punch-Out!!
Rad Racer II
Rainbow Islands
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
Rygar
Shadowgate
Shatter Hand
Skate or Die
Solstice
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Tropics
Strider
Super C
Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario Brothers 2
Super Mario Brothers 3
Super Pitfall
Tecmo Super Bowl
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
Tetris
Ultima Exodus
Uninvited
Vice Project Doom
Werewolf The Last Warrior
Willow
Wizards & Warriors
Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros … Visions of Power
Xexyz
Zanac
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II

Super Nintendo:
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Biker Mice from Mars
BlackThorne
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Castlevania: Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Claymates
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Demon's Crest
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Double Dragon: The Shadow Falls
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
F-Zero
Gradius III
Harvest Moon
Hyper-Zone
Illusion of Gaia
Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures
Joe & Mac
Joe & Mac 2 Lost in the Tropics
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run
Killer Instinct
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Legend of Zelda, The: Link to the Past
Lord of Darkness
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam
NBA Jam T.E.
NBA Live 95
NBA Live 96
NBA Live 97
NBA Live 98
New Horizons
Nobunaga's Ambition
Ogre Battle
Pilotwings
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Plok
Pocky & Rocky
Pocky & Rocky 2
Romance of the Three Kingdoms II
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Shadowrun
Sim City
Soul Blazer
Spider-Man Venom Maximum Carnage
Star Fox
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Super Adventure Island II
Super Bomberman 2
Super Bomberman Party Pak
Super Castlevania IV
Super Game Boy
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Punch Out!!
Super R-Type
Super Smash T.V.
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
The Lost Vikings
The Lost Vikings 2
Uniracers
Ys: Wanderers from Ys III
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

I went back a beat Secret of Mana not too long ago. Yep, that game is still awesome. If you haven't play it yet I'd also recommend Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3) Of course it never came out here but there are translations out if you don't mind playing a rom. People have even went as far to make reproduction copies with the translation and 3-player hack, but they're fucking expensive.

[quote name='bvharris']Awesome list. I agree on the Lufia games as well.

Also they're not the first names to jump out on you on the SNES, but I think Breath of Fire I+II are excellent as well and still worth playing.[/QUOTE]

I always got bored with BoF 1, the fighting seemed so slow, but I never tried 2.

Everyone who has posted here so far has good taste!

Not to repeat a lot of things that have already been mentioned... If you like classic top-down shooter style games, i would suggest Gunsmoke for the NES - I have a lot of good memories playing that game.

Double Dragon 2 was a solid title for the NES, also... If you like classic brawlers.

Oh man.. now I'm all nostalgiafied... Thanks OP...

NES:
Bump n Jump
California Games
Cobra Triangle
Ducktales
Batman
Adventure island I/II

SNES
Star Wars (any of the 3)
Sunset Riders
Pilot Wings
Out of this world
Flashback
Joe & Mac

I don't think anyone mentioned Total Carnage or Uncharted Waters: New Horizons for SNES. TC is a great two player game for when you have company over; it's got all the bird's eye shootie goodness of Smash TV without being as punishing.

A great shooter for the SNES - Phalanx . . . just loved it for some reason!! Also try this one out for the SNES - King arthurs world . . . which I recommend playing with the snes mouse!!!

[quote name='E-Z-B']Soulblazer was probably one of my favorite games.[/QUOTE]

Is this supposed to be the 'sequel' to Actraiser, or am I thinking of the wrong game?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Is this supposed to be the 'sequel' to Actraiser, or am I thinking of the wrong game?[/QUOTE]

Illusion of Gaia would be the game related to Soul Blazer

Let me throw Fire n' Ice (NES) in there. An overlooked but addicting puzzle game. Trust me and try it out, you'll be hooked after beating the first world. The later levels really test your puzzle solving abilities, and equally rewarding after that bulb turns on and you're like "I got!!!" Also it's got some catchy tones that will stick n your head all day long.

[quote name='Steggy']What was the US release in the series Terranigma? Was that secret of mana/evermore?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It goes...

Soul Blazer ---> Illusion of Gaia ---> Terranigma

US got the first two.

This thread caused me to fire up mario rpg over the weekend.... god i loved that game as a kid. Was the first rpg I played as a kid, so it holds a special spot.

I still think its funny that I thought the game was called (phoenetically) Mario RiPig

I'm going to have to agree with BVHARRIS on this one. Breath of Fire 2 was the best RPG that got me hooked on all the other RPGs in my life. I never got to finish it because the person who ripped the damn rom didn't do a good job towards the end. I would have loved to play it on the SNES.

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']A great shooter for the SNES - Phalanx . . . just loved it for some reason!! Also try this one out for the SNES - King arthurs world . . . which I recommend playing with the snes mouse!!![/QUOTE]

Phalanx is GREAT! It was my first SNES game! Also Metal Marines is Awesome, and very challenging. Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage was also alot of fun. Feels like playing a cartoon. Metal Marines is around $40 but you can pick it up on Virtual Console.

SNES:
Act Raiser 1&2
NBA Jam
Rock N' Roll Racing
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Super Punch Out
Pilot Wings

NES:
Tiger Heli
Shinobi
Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden
Karate Kid
Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So I got on an NES & SNES kick but I am playing the same games I did when I was a kid. I want to branch out. What were some SNES games that you absolutely loved that I might not have played. In general, I know the games and have played the games that universally kick ass like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, etc. Would love to hear everyone's favorites.[/QUOTE]

SNES:

- Plok
- Lester the Unlikely
- Equinox
- Secret of Evermore
- Spawn
- Judge Dredd
- Big Sky Trooper
- Illusion of Gaia
- Beavis & Buttthead
- Brainlord
- Young Merlin
- Battleclash (Super Scope)
- Metal Combat (Super Scope)
- Pac-Man 2: New Adventures
- Robotrek
- Secret of the Stars
- Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
- Super Soccer
- NHL Stanley Cup

NES:

- Monster Party
- Xexyz
- StarTropics
- StarTropics 2

Let me suggest putting Metal Storm (NES) on your list. First game that opened my eyes to the possibilities of "Oh, there ARE great games out there I didn't play as a kid."

NES

Arch Rivals
Micro Machines
RC PRO AM
Baseball Stars

I know these are all 2p games, but me and my buddies still have a blast playing these. arch rivals outdates nba jam but is just as fun

SOLAR JETMAN

bread's done
Back