I Was Scammed!

Tiffanne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I got a great deal from a for sale or trade thread. I'm getting all of this for $75 shipped! All the games are N64 games...

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
Super Smash Brothers
Zelda
White 4GB Apple IPod Nano

UPDATE:

I filed a paypal claim against this seller. Here is the original post of the lady's fsot thread:

original

Here is the one she posted today after I emailed her about sending half my money back but did not respond to me:

Ipod still on there

OK I FOUND ANOTHER PERSON SHE SCAMMED.

Either A) the person selling this didn't know the value of the items or B) it's hotter than the weather out here in the Northeast the past couple days.

Either way, great deal, specially considering you got an Ipod thrown in for that amount.

I really don't think she realizes the value of the items. But I am wary now. I was excited. I'm going to check it out more and then let you know what happens.

Well the lady is selling the ipod for $50 and that's what I was originally interested in. She is also selling a bunch of household things, etc, and she has games she is selling for $5 each. I told her I was interested in the ipod and that I wanted a pic of it. She didn't state it was a nano but the pic showed it is. I also told her I was interested in 4 of her games and what did she want for all of it. She told me that if I bought the ipod she would throw in the 4 games for $10 and $5 shipping which came out to $65. I decided to see if I could get 4 more games (I forgot to list Yoshi's Island in my OP) for $75 and she said yes. So I asked her to hold for me until tomorrow.

Well here's the update. I sent her half the paypal a week and a half ago. I then sent the rest of the amount on Saturday. I sent her a couple emails but she didn't respond. So this morning I emailed her telling her that I wasn't getting any responses to my emails and that I was starting to believe she could be scamming me because I wanted to give her a chance. Well she just emailed me back fast and here is what she said:

Hello,
I just had a death in my family and I am going through a lot of problems at this point in time. I am aware of your purchase and it will be shipped as soon as I am down towards the post office, As I said I am taking care of a lot of family problems right now and the nearest post office is about 45 minutes from me.
I will e-mail you when it is shipped out.
Thanks

I don't know if she is trying to buy time? I haven't found anything negative on her. I am wondering if I should give it a little time and what should I say?

You have no idea of her situation. However you could ask that she refund half of the purchase price as a sign of goodwill until you receive the items in question. This would only take minutes on her part and would give you a sign that you are dealing with someone who isn't trying to scam you.

Also... it's $75. That's barely worth scamming anyone over.

[quote name='Tiffanne']Well here's the update. I sent her half the paypal a week and a half ago. I then sent the rest of the amount on Saturday. I sent her a couple emails but she didn't respond. So this morning I emailed her telling her that I wasn't getting any responses to my emails and that I was starting to believe she could be scamming me because I wanted to give her a chance. Well she just emailed me back fast and here is what she said:

I don't know if she is trying to buy time? I haven't found anything negative on her. I am wondering if I should give it a little time and what should I say?[/quote]

She's obviously buying time. Open a paypal dispute ASAP.

[quote name='daminion']You have no idea of her situation. However you could ask that she refund half of the purchase price as a sign of goodwill until you receive the items in question.[/quote]

Very good idea, try that..if she refuses or makes an excuse, I'd let her know you're going to file a claim

How does this emai sound?

Since I am not comfortable with you having my $76 and with no definate ship date for me I would like half of my money refunded to me ($38 of the $76 total I sent you). Then when I receive the package I will send you the rest the items as a sign of good faith. EDITED TO ADD: I will open to paypal claim if you don't agree to the terms.

I'd also add in that you'll open a Paypal dispute if she doesn't agree to the terms. Put everything in writing so there's no confusion later on. And please don't accept the sob stories. If she truly can't deliver, ask for a full refund.

[quote name='daminion']Also... it's $75. That's barely worth scamming anyone over.[/QUOTE]

I disagree some people will go though the trouble for plenty less then $75.

Here is the email she sent me. What should I do?

If you were not comfortable with the transaction you shouldn't have done it in the first place.
Like I stated in the previous email someone DIED in my family and I am busy. The items will be shipped when I get a chance. It has been 3 days since you paid me in full, I think you need to relax. if you continue to write me rude e-mails not only will I refund all of your money and you will get nothing but I will report you for harassment.

Have a Good Day

That's bunk-ass. Sorry to sound cold-hearted, but people die every day. Unless you were rude in your e-mail, this would make me very leery. ESPECIALLY that opening line. Had she started with "Someone DIED in my family," maybe I'd understand a little better. But to give you shit for completing a transaction with her is BS - isn't that the point of the buyer/seller exchange. And not to sound sexist, but I'd also begin to question if it's even a woman. If you're going to dupe someone, what better way than to pose as a video-game-clueless woman?

I'd say be polite and give her a few more days to see if she e-mails you again that she shipped your stuff. If not, I'd report her. In fact, research the procedure for submitting a claim now so you can do it faster if/when you have to.

Oh, and one more thing, three days is more than enough time to put something in the mail. I mean, you paid within one day, right?

I already submitted a claim when I saw her bump her post. I just want my money back now so here is the email I sent her (she called me a jackass on her forum):

I really don't mean to come across as rude. If I was not comfortable with the transaction I would have never done it. I know it has been 3 days since I paid the last payment but I was sending you emails asking you questions like Did you receive payment? I was wondering when you were going to ship it out? I wasn't receiving any response so I started to worry that you were taking my money. I emailed you that I was worried you were scamming me. You responded quickly and I am sorry about your loss as I don't really know your situation but I am being on the safe side. I then emailed you about refunding half of the money and I didn't receive a response but I did notice that you bumped your post but the ipod was still on there and you lowered prices so I guess I jumped the gun and thought you were trying to scam me and decided to just get my money back. I don't think it is fair being called a jackass when you do not know me. I am not some rude obnoxious jerk who goes around harassing people. I do apologize for coming across harsh, that was not my intent. I would like to just cancel the transaction and my money refunded. I will correct my reply to your post when all is well.

Well I emailed the lady this morning asking her if she was going to refund my money. She emailed me back saying sorry she doesn't do refunds and that she shipped my package this morning. So I'll see what happens.

Hey if shes got time to check her f'ing email and reply she obviously has plenty of to and can spend 2 minutes to pack the shit up and drop it off or have it picked up.

For god sakes give the woman a chance to mail the damn package. I didn't see anywhere that she promised to ship in 24 hours. What is so hard to understand that someone had an event in their life that took priority over $75 in old video games and a old ipod? Why does she need to discuss the intimate details of her personal life ie who died and where, why etc. She said she got payment, had an issue and would ship as soon as she could. If a week or so went than you could email her back and get an update.

Imagine this: Could the deceased have been out of town with the resulting funeral out of town? Maybe it was she could do to get packed up and on a plane or in a car to arrive in time to lay the person to rest. Hotels and relatives home might have internet access or maybe they have a treo, blackberry or Iphone and can access the internet, email.

It's $75 not $10000. Use a credit card. File a dispute in a month.

[quote name='kklems']For god sakes give the woman a chance to mail the damn package. I didn't see anywhere that she promised to ship in 24 hours. What is so hard to understand that someone had an event in their life that took priority over $75 in old video games and a old ipod? Why does she need to discuss the intimate details of her personal life ie who died and where, why etc. She said she got payment, had an issue and would ship as soon as she could. If a week or so went than you could email her back and get an update.

Imagine this: Could the deceased have been out of town with the resulting funeral out of town? Maybe it was she could do to get packed up and on a plane or in a car to arrive in time to lay the person to rest. Hotels and relatives home might have internet access or maybe they have a treo, blackberry or Iphone and can access the internet, email.

It's $75 not $10000. Use a credit card. File a dispute in a month.[/quote]

As far as I'm understanding it, she still has that iPod still listed for sale and bumped it after she was paid for it and the other merchandise. Sorry, but if a relative of mine had died, I wouldn't be bumping a for sale post for an item that I had already been paid for.

I'm torn about which way to go. I've been scammed before by someone telling me the same thing. She really raised my flag when she bumped the post with the ipod still and lowered the price of it.

[quote name='Tiffanne']I'm torn about which way to go. I've been scammed before by someone telling me the same thing. She really raised my flag when she bumped the post with the ipod still and lowered the price of it.[/QUOTE]

That's the only red flag I'd be worried about this early.

All the other hullabaloo this early in the game is silly.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']That's the only red flag I'd be worried about this early.

All the other hullabaloo this early in the game is silly.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

3 days lol, and hes complaining, dont buy from me on ebay, i only ship once a week, 75 bucks, lol, and your filing a dispute, less than half a week after it being paid, you are what makes the internet scary for sellers, we have to deal with you crappy buyers that have no life but to file complaints, go tell mommy to file a police report, better yet, get your internet shut off, 75 bucks worth of games wouldnt be my first priority.

[quote name='justinstaff756']3 days lol, and hes complaining, dont buy from me on ebay, i only ship once a week, 75 bucks, lol, and your filing a dispute, less than half a week after it being paid, you are what makes the internet scary for sellers, we have to deal with you crappy buyers that have no life but to file complaints, go tell mommy to file a police report, better yet, get your internet shut off, 75 bucks worth of games wouldnt be my first priority.[/quote]

Sellers like you is why ebay is scary for buyers. Try reading the post. He became alarmed when she lowered the price of the IPOD he bought AND bumped the post AFTER he paid her.

Last time I checked you shouldn't be trying to sell an item once someone has bought it and paid for it. Of course all this also occurs after a death in the family so this women has no time to go to the post office because she's greiving yet she has time to log into her account and try to sell an item twice....

If she is indeed legit there is no harm in filing a paypal dispute. He can simply take it down once she recieves.

[quote name='justinstaff756']3 days lol, and hes complaining, dont buy from me on ebay, i only ship once a week, 75 bucks, lol, and your filing a dispute, less than half a week after it being paid, you are what makes the internet scary for sellers, we have to deal with you crappy buyers that have no life but to file complaints, go tell mommy to file a police report, better yet, get your internet shut off, 75 bucks worth of games wouldnt be my first priority.[/QUOTE]

You seriously make sellers look bad, and as a seller, I don't appreciate it. Take it somewhere else, asshole.

Come on people, no name calling. I haven't received my package yet, just letting everyone know. I asked the seller if I sent her an extra dollar would she get delivery confimation for me and I asked her way before she shipped the package. She said yes but when she told me she mailed the package I asked her if she had my delivery confirmation number. All she replied to me was that the package was shipped parcel post via USPS.

Great. I emailed her this morning about the delivery confirmation thing. Right now I got an email on my paypal claim, they recovered 7 cents. I am going to wait another week but then what do I do?

Well, you now win. Since the moron didn't use Delivery Conformation she can't prove to Paypal that she sent. You'll win the claim and the next time she tries to use Paypal to pay someone or reveive money from someone, it'll go to you.

After the claim is done, I'd email her again and thank her for her stupidity, lol.

http://www.ic3.gov/

File a report along with the other person that she scammed. Law enforcement will act much quicker if multiple people are reporting the same individual. Be sure to give details such as date and amount of payment, date she promised to deliver goods, actual date that she supposedly sent out goods, etc.

It's the age old internet scam. Post things for way too cheap and then say "something came up" and you have to keep a person's money and never send the item...

Good news is you MIGHT be able to get some of your money back through paypal.

Like others have said, the benefit here for you is that you paid through Paypal. A while back, I got scammed over $400 on an Xbox 360 package. After paying, the seller stopped responding to emails and I started to freak out. After a while no contact I filed a Paypal dispute, and Paypal was able to refund my money. Only after this did the seller email me back, only to bitch at me, and then say "I actually sent the package, you need to send it back to me when you get it!" Of course, I never got it.

Repricing and bumping the ipod for sale was a definite red flag and you were completely right for being suspicious. Family members dying, while tragic, is an overused bogus excuse. The "nearest post office is 45 minues away" excuse is another that has been used all too often, and it's the biggest crock of shit ever. Unless she's living in the middle of the desert, there's no way the post office is 45 minutes away. She has to be in a particular town to have internet access, and every town has a post office...

Really hope you get your money back, keep us posted. True, 75 bucks may not be a HUGE amount of money, but it's still enough to not want to just have stolen from you.

I'm getting mad. Here is the email she just sent me when I let her know I've been in contact with someone else she scammed.

No one has been scammed. I gave you the dirty pictures you wanted of me, please leave me alone, i'm scared.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Constantly reading stuff like this here makes me wonder why people even risk this by using ebay...
[/quote]

Because believe it or not, 99.5% of sellers are good people and are not going to scam you. It's just like when a plane smashes into a mountain, you only hear about the bad stuff.

Oh, and I hope you do get your money back OP, but I doubt it will happen.

Now they've reduced themselves to mocking...

Murder may be on order from here on out. :fridge:

(I just wanted a reason to use that underappreciated smiley.)

bread's done
Back