I wasn't afraid of the Large Hadron Collider at all, until I saw this...

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Link.

nervous.gif
nervous.gif
nervous.gif
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

some background reading on Mr Freeman.

I know this is really low brow but I honestly thought the caption on that picture said "Large Hardon Collider". I did a double take.

[quote name='Maklershed']I know this is really low brow but I honestly thought the caption on that picture said "Large Hardon Collider". I did a double take.[/QUOTE]
The New York Times ran an article in which they misprinted it as just that. :lol:

http://largehardoncollider.com/

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']October 21st, bitches. Better get your affairs in order before then. You virgies have 42 days to get laid.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was tomorrow?

[quote name='keithp']I thought it was tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

The event happening tonight/tomorrow is just a test where they're going to try to circulate a beam through the entire thing for the first time. The actual high-energy collisions, aka the things that are going to implode the universe, don't start until October 21st.

I remember some hubbub in Hawaii about the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) back when I still lived in Hawaii.

So, uh, is this the RHIC's cousin, or something? :whistle2:k

When is the world scheduled to end? I'd like to pick up some cake.

I forgot which physicist told this story (I only really know Michio Kaku as a contemporary one), but I remember that a collider was going to be built somewhere in the states (want to say Texas, probably near Dallas) and during "hearings" to determine if it would be a worthwhile investment, some legislative representative asked if we would "see the eye of God" with such a machine and the experiments it could run.

The physicist being interviewed said he wasn't sure, as they couldn't adequately predict what would happen.

The project never got any further.

I guess this is my way of saying fire up the pistons or whatever the hell this baby has - I wanna see what happens, eyes of God or Shrodinger's dead cat, anything, just do it.

Note: I imagine some of my details on this story are a little off. It's been a while since I read much on the subject.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The event happening tonight/tomorrow is just a test where they're going to try to circulate a beam through the entire thing for the first time. The actual high-energy collisions, aka the things that are going to implode the universe, don't start until October 21st.[/QUOTE]

I think the real question here is, what superpowers will the random guy standing nearby get?

[quote name='Scorch']The beam completed the full circle, everything's okay, go to bed[/quote]

Uh, there's something wrong with the moon...

b7gm03.png

23lhbfp.gif

http://in.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/10end.htm
September 10, 2008 14:57 IST

A 16-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh allegedly committed suicide after watching news about the possibility of the end of earth, following the atom-smasher experiment in Geneva that began on Wednesday.

Chhaya, a resident of Sarangpur town in Rajgarh district, consumed sulphos tablets (an insecticide) on Tuesday, her parents said.

The girl was rushed to Indore's MY Hospital, where she passed away on Wednesday.

Her parents told reporters that she had been watching reports about the world's biggest atom-smasher experiment in Geneva on news channels since the last two days, following which she got restless and ended her life.

The police have registered a case in this regard and they are investigating the matter.

The experiment is being carried out to recreate the birth of the Universe and unlock its secrets. Scientists have rubbished reports of threat to the planet due to the experiment.

Moran.

I was joking with my friend about the potential of a "resonance cascade" last night.

Fun fact:
If the LHC does manage to create a very tiny black hole Stephen Hawkings loses $100 and probably gains a Nobel Prize!

[quote name='chakan']http://in.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/10end.htm
September 10, 2008 14:57 IST

A 16-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh allegedly committed suicide after watching news about the possibility of the end of earth, following the atom-smasher experiment in Geneva that began on Wednesday.

Chhaya, a resident of Sarangpur town in Rajgarh district, consumed sulphos tablets (an insecticide) on Tuesday, her parents said.

The girl was rushed to Indore's MY Hospital, where she passed away on Wednesday.

Her parents told reporters that she had been watching reports about the world's biggest atom-smasher experiment in Geneva on news channels since the last two days, following which she got restless and ended her life.

The police have registered a case in this regard and they are investigating the matter.

The experiment is being carried out to recreate the birth of the Universe and unlock its secrets. Scientists have rubbished reports of threat to the planet due to the experiment.

Moran.[/quote]

Nah. She's twice as dumb. Dumb for committing suicide in the first place and doubled-down dumb for committing suicide for a nigh improbable cataclysmic event which would've killed her anyway. She's definitely a qualified contender for a Darwin Award.

bread's done
Back