" I would have played, but it was never made."

cyberlian

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I think it would be neat to make a list of all of the games that could have or should have been made, but for some unexplained reason were not... i.e. games that could have been successful or games that you wish were made but for some reason it just never happened...

For instance, one game I would have loved to have played, but it was never made, is kill bill

battlebots for gamecube, back when I was really into robot fighting I heard about a battlebots game for the cube, never was finished

Propeller Arena was complete but not released for Dreamcast because of 9/11. One of the main levels had two towers in the center.
(Similar in some ways to Crimson Skies, but much better)

True Fantasy Live Online might have been ok, would have been really the only MMORPG on the Xbox (PSO doesn't count).

No doubt about it...
Castlevania Ressurection on dc
it was one of the reasons i bought a dc and then it was canned and never came out

The N64 versions of Dinosaur Planet and Animal Crossing might have been nice, and an American version of Sin and Punishment would have been awesome.

Still...I would have loved to see "Sam and Max: Freelance Police" or the new "Full Throttle" game released for the PC. It's a shame that Lucasarts seems to be pulling out of the adventure games market - some of us are still devoted fans...

[quote name='dafoomie']Propeller Arena was complete but not released for Dreamcast because of 9/11. One of the main levels had two towers in the center.
(Similar in some ways to Crimson Skies, but much better)[/quote]

I was about to mention that game too. But I never knew why they cancelled it until now. Interesting.

[quote name='dafoomie']Propeller Arena was complete but not released for Dreamcast because of 9/11. One of the main levels had two towers in the center.
(Similar in some ways to Crimson Skies, but much better)[/quote]

Did you ever actually play the leaked version? There wasn't much in the way of a story line, this was going to be a purely multiplay title. The music got old very fast a la Crazy Taxi, controlling the planes was very difficult due to the sluggish controls, and the arenas themselves were very small. If I had played this title before Crimson Skies came out my opinion might be a bit different but IMO Crimson Skies improves on everything that Propeller Arena had accomplished

I was about to mention that game too. But I never knew why they cancelled it until now. Interesting.
It had a pentagon look-alike too I believe.

The game was done. Complete waste of effort, would have been a nice game. People forget that it was made by Sega/AM2, Yu Suzuki's team. Those guys shit pure gold.

The leaked version from what I heard was an earlier version and not what they had at the time of cancellation.

[quote name='dafoomie']

The game was done. Complete waste of effort, would have been a nice game. People forget that it was made by Sega/AM2, Yu Suzuki's team. Those guys shit pure gold.

The leaked version from what I heard was an earlier version and not what they had at the time of cancellation.[/quote]

Any reason why they couldn't just edit those levels out instead of cancelling the entire project?

I would have loved to see that Aeon Flux game. Talk about a series that would have been a great video game.

Oh well, we're getting a movie next year, so the dream is still alive...

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='dafoomie']

The leaked version from what I heard was an earlier version and not what they had at the time of cancellation.[/quote]

Any reason why they couldn't just edit those levels out instead of cancelling the entire project?[/quote]

Remember how society was at that point? People were ready to ban Microsoft Flight Simulator because you could crash planes into buildings.

At that point in time, it would have been financial suicide to release any kind of product at all that included air combat. Even with the offending levels gone, the game would have caused a huge uproar.

Another game to add to the list...the NES version of Supar Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. I would have loved to play that on its original console. It's too bad that I haven't found a Japanese copy that's affordable...

Any reason why they couldn't just edit those levels out instead of cancelling the entire project?
The Dreamcast was almost dead at the time anyway, the game's selling point was online play and they weren't going to support that for much longer. Any delay basicly killed their chances for sales at that point. They could have released it and made some of their money back even if it didn't sell well though. Thats why SEGA went broke, bad decisiions.

Another interesting game that never saw the light of day on the Dreamcast was Independence War 2, it did come out on PC though. Think Starlancer/Freelancer.

hmmmmm...

Remember that Steven Seagal game that was supposed to come out for the Genesis & SNES? It had digitized characters. It disappeared off the radar and was never heard from again. Can't even remember the title.

Side-scrolling beat 'em ups are fun :)

While the demo of MGS3 has blown me away, there's a version of the game I played in my dreams for a couple hours. Waking up was surprisingly painful, about as painful realizing I need more of a life.

Another game to add to the list...the NES version of Supar Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. I would have loved to play that on its original console. It's too bad that I haven't found a Japanese copy that's affordable...[/quote]

Super Mario Bros. DX has the original version of that game. In fact, it's even better because you can save your progress. I do agree though. I would have loved to have played that when it first came out. SMB was my favorite game in the early days of the NES (and was the reason I bought an NES in the first place), but I always thought it was too easy. SMB 2 would have rectified that problem. Hell, I would have settled for a home version of the SMB VS. coin op, which changed many level layouts to make it more challenging. Nintendo didn't release SMB 2 because they thought it was too hard for US players. Nice thinking, Nintendo. No wonder they're losing the console wars.

I would have liked to check out Thrill Kill, which was getting good buzz from critics who previewed it. Also, I would have liked MAT2 to have STUN Runner, Steel Talons, and MK1.

Ugh. Thrill Kill was el stinko. I was mad at EA for their censorship for a long time, until I actually played the game. It was weak.

One game I'd have liked to see that never got done was Chakan 2.

Warcraft: Lord of the Clans... Blizzard spent years on it, probally noticed that it sucked and scrapped it....I'd much rather play the game than read the book though...

Power Stone sequel on the GameCube. I read about it months before the launch of the cube, but the game never appeared. PowerStone 2 was the number one played DC game in our house, bar none. Never heard a thing about its fate. Sad.

I always thought a game based on G. I. Joe would be cool. However, like most liscensed games they'd probably shaq-fu it up.

I'd still like to see a sequel for Beyond Good and Evil.

If I go all the way back to the true old school, the cancelled titles I missed would take a while. So with the Dreamcast when it died before it's time (US releases that is):

Castlevania Resurrection
Armada 2 (yes I know this may actually come out soon, but I'll believe it when it's in my hands...)
The Resident Evil 4 being designed for the DC
Agartha
Baldur's Gate
Evil Twin
Chakan 2
Hundred Swords
Gundam Net Battle
Legedn of the Blademaster
New Batman Adventures
Rent A Hero #1
Geist Force

This Generation:

Fear Effect Inferno
Magatama's US release
The Red Star (possibly)
100 Bullets (possibly)
LotR Treason of Isengard
True Fantasy Live Online
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Clive Barker's Undying
Black Hawk Down
A possibly Banjo-Kazooie 3
Too Human

SONIC X-TREME!!!!! That game looked so great! To bad it got canned. I really don't know why though, it couldn't have been any worse then that gaming abortion known as Sonic 3D blast.

Sonic X-treme! God I wanted that game SOO bad! Oh and I wish I could find a copy/rom of the Sonic Arcade (trackball) and Fighting games. :(

I'd kill a man for a new Tomba sequel. SERIOUSLY.

Hey, anyone remember a game for PS1 that never came out (or did it?) called:

"The Diabolical Adventures of Tobu"?

It was about some tribal kid with steel wings or something. Looked damn cool......

[quote name='Gameboy415']
I'd kill a man for a new Tomba sequel. SERIOUSLY.

[/quote]
Amen to that. Both Tombas are excellent! They need to update! :)

^ Yeah a Tomba sequal would be great! I would also love to have played the Gex sequal that got canned. Sure Gex wasn't the best of series but when I was little I thought those games were awesome.

I would like to say the aforementioned Green Lantern Game, Kill Bill, and Sin and Punishment. Sin and Punishment would be awesome because I had played a Japanese demo of it (might have been the real game, don't really know) and it was one of the best rail-shooters I have ever played.

"Sam and Max: Freelance Police" and "Full Throttle" sequels would be nice, too bad they were scrapped. They were some of the funnest games ever in their heyday and defiently need to either be ported or redone or sequeled, etc.. Lucasarts doesn't see what potential it has.

I would also like to play or have another Chrono Trigger/Cross game. At one point it had looked like they were making it since they had registered the title Chrono Break and that everyone had been anticipating them making it. But they let that drop, well we can still wish and call Square madly and yell our brains out and complain why they haven't tooken advantage of such a popular title. Now it looks like they are redoing the original Chrono Trigger for a port for either GBA or DS, so let's hope.

Actually, I would like to see Square get out of this repitition of making mostly Final Fantasy sequels. I would like to see them make more sequels of the better franchise that they have when they merged with Enix, Dragon Warrior. They should also bring over, even if it's still for the PS! but at least we would have it, Tobal number 2. They should also try making some sequels to Einhander and Vagrant Story. It would be nice to see them do a sequel to Valkyrie Profile and also include the original game so that the rest of us could play it. I would like to jsut plainly see more innovation out of Square like it had done on the PS1 instead of this slew of Final Fantasy Sequels. Sure this generation we've had Kingdom Hearts and Drakengard, but they haven't been doing to much out of their Final fantasy universe. What happened to games like Parasite Eve, which had psuedo real time combat like they have in KOTOR? Why don't they make a sequel for that?

An Aeon Flux game would also be pretty cool if done right.

If Nintendo of America had brought over the Earthbound compilation they had for GBA (i believe it was this) than I would play it also. While they are added, why don't they bring over the rest of the Fire EMblem series that they haven't given America and also Nintendo Puzzle Collection for GCN. Though Nintendo tends to be not bad with pleasing their fans and rectifying their mistakes and bringing ove to America the games that their fans want, they still should get the ball rolling on a lot of theiir other titles. I would love to see them bring over Doshin the Giant. I had thought that this was coming to GCN, but somehow in the shuffle from last generation to this, it was canned. Anybody know why?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If I go all the way back to the true old school, the cancelled titles I missed would take a while. So with the Dreamcast when it died before it's time (US releases that is):

Rent A Hero #1

[/quote]

I thought Rent A Hero #1 came out for DC but was one of those obscure titles and didn't sell well. Wasn't it earlier this year ported to PS2 and again not sell well and fall into obscurity?

[quote name='hohndog']Power Stone sequel on the GameCube. I read about it months before the launch of the cube, but the game never appeared. PowerStone 2 was the number one played DC game in our house, bar none. Never heard a thing about its fate. Sad.[/quote]

I would love to have a Power Stone sequel. That was one of the best fighters ever and one of the funnest games on the DC. It's sad that capcom didn't decide to make a sequel to it for PS2, GCN, Xbox. I think it would have sold better thnaks to the fact that these three systems have a larger installed user base than the DC.

MANIAC MANSION 3.

They don't realize how awesome this would be on a modern console. But, seeing as how they scrapped the Sam and Max and Full Throttle sequels, that pretty much confirms MM3 never seeing the light of day. Lucasarts would rather make YET ANOTHER stupid Star Wars racing game than complete another great adventure game, even though they have huge cult followings.

[quote name='Renzokuken']A good Terminator 2 game[/quote]

What about the one for the arcade where you used a machine gun style controller? Like the one that was in Generation X, the Aerosmith game. I thought they weren't bad.

I've thougth of a couple more that i would like to see made,

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
and
Sunset riders. they were two of my favorite side-scrolling beat-em ups. I wish they would make antoher one for the game boy or at least port them.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If I go all the way back to the true old school, the cancelled titles I missed would take a while. So with the Dreamcast when it died before it's time (US releases that is):

Rent A Hero #1

[/quote]

I thought Rent A Hero #1 came out for DC but was one of those obscure titles and didn't sell well. Wasn't it earlier this year ported to PS2 and again not sell well and fall into obscurity?[/quote]

Notice I said US releases...It was released overseas, but the game has never been released in the states as far as I know.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If I go all the way back to the true old school, the cancelled titles I missed would take a while. So with the Dreamcast when it died before it's time (US releases that is):
Rent A Hero #1
[/quote]

I thought Rent A Hero #1 came out for DC but was one of those obscure titles and didn't sell well. Wasn't it earlier this year ported to PS2 and again not sell well and fall into obscurity?[/quote]

Notice I said US releases...It was released overseas, but the game has never been released in the states as far as I know.[/quote]

I remember ads for an XBOX release all over magazines for months and months but I'm pretty sure it never came out. Suckage.

And to bump my old question:

Anyone ever hear of "The Diabolical Adventures of Tobu"?

[quote name='Gameboy415']
And to bump my old question:

Anyone ever hear of "The Diabolical Adventures of Tobu"?[/quote]
it was being developed by 898 so obviously it sucked. they deserve the same fate as acclaim and 3do.

The Diabolical Adventures of Tobu (By 989 Studios for PlayStation · Not released November 1998)
The Hype: “A refreshingly unique, flight-based platform game,” according to Air Hendrix back in our October 1998 issue. Playing as the title character in a fantasy Asiatic setting, “Tobu has full 360-degree freedom of movement in alluring 3D worlds, as he rams enemies, collects power-ups, rockets through speed chutes, and floats up drafts.”

What Happened? Games can look good, but it’s all about gameplay-and Tobu’s didn’t exactly fly high enough. The game simply wasn’t performing up to expectations, so it was grounded.
http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/33334.shtml

33334-3.jpg

BT0273F.jpg

bread's done
Back