Ibuypower:Good?

ayolykewhoa

CAGiversary!
I need to get a new computer and I've been looking at Ibuypower. The prices are the best I've seen, but I asked my friend and he told me that the shipping is slow and his computer was shipped with the wrong graphics card. Anybody order from this site and are they reliable enough?

I bought my setup from ibuypower over a year ago and I've had no problem. The shipping wasn't too slow from what I remember, and everything was there.

if you don't mind adding some parts to it... I think currently the best deal around for a 'store bought' computer is waiting for the Dell 400SC small business server to come around on a good deal again... that server is exactly like a PC, has the same mobo as a Dell 8300 has an 8x AGP slot... and I think as of last week, deal might be dead now, but it will be coming around again... it was a Pent4 2.8Ghz, 800Mhz, 80GB 7200rpm, 128MB DDR400 for about $350, (onboard sound, onboard graphics). Find a copy of XP, because this has no operating system. IF you get 512MB DDR400 (2x 256 dual channel) for cheap say $70-80 and a video card, 9800, 9800pro, .... then you have a great system for WAY less then the $1000 the other makers would charge.

If you have questions, and is interested in this deal, check out fatwallet forums, search in the Deal Discussion section for "400SC" (aka use the search function)

i read in my free computer gaming monthly (compliments of CAG) that the reviewers bought a system and it actually did not work out of the box, it needed that little round battery (can't remember what they're called) and then it worked fine

Eh, the problem with Dell is that they like to use a lot of proprietary crap, so it can be hard to find things that actually fit in the shitty cases. Or at least it was back when I had a Dell.

I'm not a Dell fan boy... and you're right that the powersupply and motherboard is proprietary... but everything else is just your typical hardware... and the case for the 400SC is a tower case... with plenty of ventilation and whisper quiet, it's really nice, no lights or bells but a solid built case.... this is all what I heard because I'm still too poor to buy one. Hopefully soon.

Whatever you do, don't get an HP. Those things are shit, and I have never heard of worse customer support. I don't own one, but the company I work for gets servers from them, and if you want to talk to some guy from India who doesn't understand you and reads the pamphlet in front of him for 3 hours before you snap and kill yourself, then go ahead and buy one.

I dunno. cyberpowersystem.com seems like it's the same company, but they have better options for high end comps (such as an option for 2 gigs of ram). I'm putting away some $ for a new comp (thinkin the new Radeon card, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig HD, pentium 3.2 ghz...). Oh, if anyone finds a cheaper site, lemme know.

I have had massive compliance issues with IBuyPower over their services ranging from the initial order to the two RMA requests within 7 months. I have posted an excerpt from a recent email that I have sent them in an attempt to get them to comply with their warranties, etc.

"To start out, I’m going to describe my experience with your company so far. Initially in June of 2005 I became excited about your line of notebooks and their capabilities. I decided to purchase one to test the capabilities and offer my recommendation to the president of my company in terms of an upcoming technology purchase. I ordered a colored notebook with the 5 business day shipping option and the shipping took over a month due to the color (this was never disclosed during the order confirmation or credit card entry). After it was not shipped in 5 business days I became somewhat agitated and called your company to find out that the shipping date was expected to take 2-3 business weeks. The mystery with this is why your company did not immediately refund the 5 business day rush shipping option. To be totally honest, by the time I received the notebook, I was very angry with your company. Even with the inconvenience that your company had caused, your company still declined to offer any sort of resolution to expedite the shipping and provided no form of compensation for the major inconvenience.

Within 2 weeks the notebook ceased to function and I had to send it back to your RMA department. This really snapped with me and I filed a BBB complaint against your company about your product quality and misleading advertising. The BBB complaint went through without a resolution as your company still has the misleading product information on your site. Eventually after another month or so I received the notebook and it worked for several months with minor issues. Near January 23, 2006 your company received the notebook for a second RMA service request since the notebook ceased to function off of the AC power cord. So far I have sent the RMA department several emails regarding the status of the notebook, but in both cases they have failed to respond in a timely manner (within 3 business days). Although the first time may have been my fault since there was a typo on the RMA number, the second time has not been my fault. Since it seems that your systems go back to the manufacturer when they go through your RMA department, it seems that the RMA department should have all day to answer emails."

I have already filed a BBB complaint with them and I intend to pursue action through the Federal Trade Commission. I advise that anyone that has had a similar experience with nondisclosure or fraudulant activities from this company do the same. The BBB can be found at www.bbb.org and the FTC is at www.ftc.gov.

My only complaint with Dell at the moment is that they have a contract with Intel and have to use Intel's sh*tty processors. Ok, they're not sh*tty... but for the price of an average Intel CPU, you can get a high end AMD processor. And AMDs, at the moment, completely smoke Intel.

Of course, if you're not going to game... then it shouldn't matter too much whether MS Word loads up in 1 second rather than .9 seconds.:)

IBuyPower seems to be getting a lot of heat as of recent: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2001.html.

[quote name='danh920']i read in my free computer gaming monthly (compliments of CAG) that the reviewers bought a system and it actually did not work out of the box, it needed that little round battery (can't remember what they're called) and then it worked fine[/QUOTE]
Was it dead? Because I've seen a cheap motherboard where the CMOS battery was DOA, but just shipping the system without one is insanely weird.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2001.html

The important thing to remember about resellerrating is not to go buy the rating, read the reviews. I know it sounds awkward but some dumbass on their will be like, "this place took my money gave me a box filled with shit. literally I recived a box of shit for $1,200 I never doing business with them again". Then that jag-off will give them a 8 out of 10. So read reviews see what the people have to say.

i registered on this forum just to post this reply.

ibuypower sucks the computer i got had a disconnected hard drive cable during shipping and then the thing kept freezing on almost ALL 3d games i tested

the guy Lee is a two faced ass of customer service. he called and wasted 30 minutes of our time saying i wrote something in an email i DID NOT and then told us the wrong hard drive connector to plug in.....then kept harrasing me about chaning my reseller ratings review then gave me a return shipping label by error when he wasnt supposed to and failed to apologize and clarify it for me!

he was then RUDE and made a rude comment to me then told me to ask someone else for assistance.

sent it back for a refund......wont ever .....EVER deal with them again.

going for a local company. should have checked the BBB reports on them first they got almost 200 Better buisness beru reports agaisnt them.

DONT BUY From this company......EVER!

[quote name='CrimGhost']Ibuypower is a joke. Learn to build a PC yourself, it's really easy.[/QUOTE]

QFMFT. You also get at minimum 1 year warranty on all parts you buy. My rig for example; 3 years on mobo, 5 years on hard drives, 1 year on video card, 3 years on processor, 5 years on power supply, lifetime on ram, 1 year on DVD burner.

Building your own is the way to go fo' sho'.

[quote name='maxflight']you should get a cheap dell then just upgrade the parts yourself, this way you can get some tech support if something happens. =)[/quote]

Bad idea, Dell uses a lot of poor quality priority equipment.

bread's done
Back