ICO Castle of the Mist novel - getting published in America, preorder $10.65 Amazon

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Originally a Japanese novel, getting translated and published for America. On preorder now at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Castle-Mi...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297117140&sr=1-3

When a boy named Ico grows long curved horns overnight, his fate has been sealed-he is to be sacrificed in the Castle in the Mist. But in the castle, Ico meets a young girl named Yorda imprisoned in its halls. Alone they will die, but together Ico and Yorda might just be able to defy their destinies and escape the magic of the castle.

Based on the video game filmmaker Guillemo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) called a "masterpiece", Japan's leading fantasist Miyuki Miyabe has crafted a tale of magic, loss, and love that will never be forgotten.
About the Author
Miyuki Miyabe's first novel was published in 1987, and since that time she has become one of Japan's most popular and best-selling authors. Miyabe's 2007 novel Brave Story won The Batchelder Award for best chldren's book in translation from the American Library Association. ICO: Castle of the Mist is her seventh novel to be translated in English.

[quote name='ihadFG']Preordered. Thanks OP. I didn't even know about this.[/QUOTE]

I didn't either... but I preordered as well.

Has anyone read this? It is any good?

But it's just the story of the game right? I'd rather read her books that don't have a game version. But now I know who to look up!

I thought the point of the game was that it had little to no dialogue. If the book wants to be in the spirit of the game it would be 300 pages of exposition...

From what I've been told, this novel wasn't even commissioned by the game's creators. It was tantamount to fan fiction, only it was written by one of the most popular authors in Japan. I'm not sure what kind of actual endorsement Ueda has given, if any.

[quote name='rapsodist']From what I've been told, this novel wasn't even commissioned by the game's creators. It was tantamount to fan fiction, only it was written by one of the most popular authors in Japan. I'm not sure what kind of actual endorsement Ueda has given, if any.[/QUOTE]

According to the ICO wiki, it basically is fan fiction.

http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Ico:_Castle_in_the_Mist

The novel is Miyuki's personal interpretation of the story, expanding greatly on the Ico mythos and explaining how many of the characters came to be. The novel is thus considered to be non-canonical.

saw this mentioned on kotaku last week, looks interesting it's not really tied to the game at all I don't think but I do love ICO so I'll give it a read

Also, I think Amazon, and perhaps even the publishers got the title wrong. It should be "Castle in the Mist" just like one of the tracks from the game's score.

Here's the original cover (similar to the Japanese game cover):

CastleInTheMist.jpg

quite a bit for a softcover which isnt a graphic novel (I guess because it has not been released yet), mostly for big fans of the fiction at this price.

I'm not interested at all in reading fan fic about a video game, even if it is ICO, but it's really cool that Miyuki Miyabe wrote this. "All She Was Worth" is an amazing book!

[quote name='ssjmichael']Also, I think Amazon, and perhaps even the publishers got the title wrong. It should be "Castle in the Mist" just like one of the tracks from the game's score.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the kanji definitely reads "Castle of the Mist".

Just want to let you guys know that its been released and Amazon has started shipping. It looks like the price remains the same (well actually 1 cent more)

bread's done
Back