Identifying a PSP (Not firmware or numbers on the box)

PhantomaZero

CAGiversary!
So my friend's PSP was recently stolen out of our school's band room. Then a few days later, one of my classmates asks me to put some homebrew on his newly acquired PSP. Its sporting the same 4GB Sandisk memory stick that my friend had and it even has the serial number thing taken off. I'm pretty sure that this is my friend's PSP, but I don't have any way to prove it as of yet. Is there any other way to find the serial number or something that would identify it? The PSP is running 3.10 OE-A and I can access flash0, etc.

See if there's any marks on the system itself, like some sort of scratch or something. Maybe your friend will be able to determine if it's his or hers by looking at it.

Yeap, found a scratch on the center. I also didn't know there was a serial number on the inside of the battery compartment, so we took that and matched it with the box. Thanks for your help guys.

I'm interested in how this plays out. My guess is the guy who wanted you to work on his new PSP isn't the one who stole it or he'd know better than to tell people he just got a PSP.

Keep it, find out if it's your friends by matching the serial # or anything from the box. Then take it to the cops in the event that it is your friends and have the kid arrested :D

[quote name='SynGamer']Keep it, find out if it's your friends by matching the serial # or anything from the box. Then take it to the cops in the event that it is your friends and have the kid arrested :D[/quote]

Yeah. Lock that little prick up for stealing your gaming machine.
Don't screw with gamers and their hardware.

Where's the ending? The ID matches, you have the goods, a suspected receiver of stolen property, and....?

Please wrap up this crime caper. Thank you.

Yeah what happened with the thieving bastard?

I had the same thing happen to me when I had a digital camera.
I had a nice, super small digital camera that I used all the time. One day I couldn't find it and I was super pissed but I thought I had just misplaced it. My roommate was moving out at the time and I thought it had gotten lost in the shuffle and I thought it would turn up somewhere.

So a few months later my old roommate decided to move out of state and out of the goodness of my heart I thought I'd take him out to dinner just to say goodbye. He brought his new girlfriend with him. She put her purse on the table and got her phone and camera out. But what was this? The camera looked EXACTLY like my old camera... same color and everything. I asked her where she got it and she said my her boyfriend (my old roommate) had bought it off a guy he knew.

Oh, really?

I started asking him a bunch of questions about the guy but it was all very vague. So I had this sinking feeling in my stomach that he had deliberately stolen it from me... and the bastard was letting me take him out to dinner???
Needless to say I drove home upset, but I couldn't prove that it was mine. After getting home I noticed that I still had the camera's box on my shelf. I called him up and basically told him I wanted him to read the serial number to me. He was stammering the whole time and I could see where this was going. Finally he relented and.. SURPRISE! The serial number matched exactly.
I told him to either get my camera back and explain to his girlfriend why he had to take it back from her or pay me the same amount I paid for the camera new PLUS what my memory card cost.

He paid me.

Wow your ex roomie is a dick. Good thing you took him out to dinner and solved that case. OP what happened with your story?

bread's done
Back