Identifying my new 360

Photomotoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I just bought a 360 used form eBay and I wanted to identify what chipset it has.

So the Xbox has HDMI out, so that means that according to Wikipedia it is a Falcon, Zephyr or Jasper. The power supply is a regular 203w, 16.5a, so unless certain models can't user certain ones I assume that the power supply doesn't tell me anything.

Now, the console has NXE on it. When I take out the HD, it still functions. Which leads me to think that it has the 256mb onboard memory.

And if I am right, that seems to be unique to the Jaspers.

The thing is, I registered the Xbox on the Xbox site, to see the warranty status. And I found that the warranty expired on 9/4/2008. With the warranty for a new console being 1 year, my console would have had to have been made around 3rd quarter pf 2007, a fact that is backed up by the production date of 07/07/2007.

But I thought the Jaspers were introduced in early to mid 2008, not mid-late 2007.

Would it have been possible to take the case from an earlier Xbox and put in on newer hardware? With the heatsinks being modified, I figure it might not be possible.

I removed the face plate to see the warranty sticker, I am not sure if it is legit. I don't know what a real one looks like. There was obviously a sticker on it before this one, as there are void marks. There is also a green sticker, I would assume that is put there during the repair process. There is also a broken sticker on the DVD drive, I figure it was replaced or the laser was replaced, but wouldn't the guys at the centers reapplied the sticker? Or does this look more like some one repairing it themselves?

So :
1. Any idea what chipset I have?
2. Any idea if the warranty for the red rings would still be good?

Looks like you have the first gen processor. 16.5 is the first ones produced. Plus the warranty sticker is not one from Microsoft.

[quote name='dmes65']Looks like you have the first gen processor. 16.5 is the first ones produced.[/quote]

Well the first gen systems did not have HDMI. The power supply can only be an indicator if it is something specific, since (unless I am wrong) some later models could use older PSUs.

I have a elite with a 16.5 and hdmi and it's a first generation. My elite was made 11-02-07. Thought it would at least a falcon but not.

Another distinguishing mark of a Jasper is the label above the power connector
on the console, look for 12v 12.1a (amps) , if it says 16.5 amps, it's a Falcon,
otherwise it would have to be a Jasper."

[quote name='dmes65']I have a elite with a 16.5 and hdmi and it's a first generation.[/quote]

Well see, according to this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

The first chipsets with HDMI, were the 2nd Gen, and they also had the 16.5a and 203w PSUs.

And going by this "The power connector on the back of the system incorporated a "keying" system that will prevent plugging a lower-rated power supply into an older system." and by something similar I read somewhere else(can't remember where), I am assuming that you can use a higher wattage PSU with any system, but not a lower one. So I am thinking I got an older PSU with a newer Xbox.

Also, NXE works without the HD, and I think that is not possible without the onboard 256mb that comes with only the Jaspers.

EDIT: You edited your post and I missed half of it. ;)

I see, I was going on the power brick only, not the sticker on the console. Looking at it now, it says 12V, 16.5a. According to Wiki, that would imply a Zephyr, not a Falcon as the entry says the Falcon is 14.2a. But as I mentioned before, is it possible to switch cases? Or are all Xbox capable of using NXE, without an HD, once NXE is installed.

[quote name='dmes65']I sent a few boxes in to be repaired and when I got them back they had a 08 date on them but no hdmi.[/quote]

Huh? So you are saying that newer consoles can sometimes not have HDMI?
Mine does though.

That kinda does not help. No offense, but could read my whole post before responding.

Do you know for a fact that any 360 without an HD can use NXE?

I just tried my xbox that is Not a jasper without the hard drive and it has nxe on it. Dont know if that helps.

[quote name='dmes65']I just tried my xbox that is Not a jasper without the hard drive and it has nxe on it. Dont know if that helps.[/quote]

It does. So that would mean that that the 256mb internal memory on newer Xboxs is there not for NXE but for memory. And since mine does not show that, that would mean that my Xbox is most likely a Zephyr.

Thanks.

bread's done
Back