Identity Theft hits home... Please Advise.

varsitygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
This evening, when my grandmother finally got home from a long day at her daughter's, she checked the mail to find a letter from JC Penny. This immediately struck her as odd, as it has been almost 15 years since she has shopped at a JC Penny. She opened the envelope to discover a bill, in her husband's name, for $4,108. She was upset partly because of the enormous sum, and partly because my grandfather passed away three months ago today.

The charges originated in Mississippi, and were primarily at Wal-Marts and fast food places. Since they were dated between 6/13 and 6/24 (when the identity thief hit the credit limit), we're pretty sure my grandfather is not the one responsible for this buying spree.

So my question to you, the community, is how should she proceed? It's such an unfortunate thing to happen to anyone, nevermind a grieving widow who is now forced to prove that her husband has been deceased since April 16th. She's got enough paperwork as it is, what with working out new beneficiaries, straightening out her auto insurance, getting a headstone made and the like.

Upon receiving this bill, she was reminded of 2 letters she received about a month ago from JC Penny which she initially passed off as pathetic attempts to bait a widow into signing up for a new credit card. One of the Letters, from the 18th, said something to the effect of "Thanks for starting your CC application, you'll hear from us within 30 days about it." The other said, essentially, "There appears to be some possibly fraudulent activity on your card, let us know if it is." After receiving the second she called her local CC centers and asked, to which they said there were no new charges. I believe at the point she was unaware of the new card which I assume the ID thief opened, which made it difficult to check that card's activity.

Tonight she contacted the fraud dept. of the JC Penny MasterCard. They advised her to file a report at her local police station, call all three credit agencies, and a friend told us to also call the SS dept. I am coming here mainly for advice. I have heard too many horror stories to let something like that happen to my grandmother.

What should she do? And more importantly, what of that can I do for her?

First off, having your identity stolen sucks. That said, here are the steps she'll have to take.

1) Contact all three credit agencies, ask them to put a warning on her credit that will not authorize ANY new credit accounts to be opened (loans, credit cards, etc.). I forget what it's called at the moment, but they'll know what you're talking about. Also, request a free credit report from each of them as well so that she can review all of her credit and note any accounts that are fraudulent.

2) Any accounts that are determined to be fraudulent need to be called up and have a report filed.

3) Any old credit accounts she has that show up on her credit that she no longer uses should be closed immediately. These are just opportunities for the identity thieves to screw things up even more.

4) File a local police report so that there is a paper trail should any new accounts be opened.

5) Contact the SS administration and let them know that someone is trying to steal her identity. They will put some sort of hold on the SS# that is supposed to prevent anything from happening (although I don't know what/how).

6) Make sure everything in her deceased husbands name is either transferred into her name or closed (up to and including library cards).

7) Watch all bills and letters that come in for the next 6 months and go over them all with an eagle eye. Make sure EVERY charge is accounted for. If there is even one charge that is unaccounted for, call up the company and file a fraud report.

couldnt u just contact jc penny and dispute the charges since obviously (no disrespect, my grandparent passed within this past 4 months so I know might bea touchy issue) your grandfather is dead and couldnt have purchased anything from jc penny?

I would say that a death certificate would be pretty good grounds to go by. I'd either contact the credit bureaus, or JC Penney. Maybe if your local news station has one of those Consumer Lawyers, contact him and get some extra publicity out of it.

bread's done
Back