If CAG is being sued by Circuit City, Boycott!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanosuke Sagara

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
If CAG is actually being sued by cc over ad images, figure the best way to get this to go away is to boycott. Unite and shop anywhere but CC!!! We are consumers after all :)

btw i hope this is in the right place

[quote name='Rocko']
But, I will say I'll still shop at CC when it saves me money.[/QUOTE]

Now, that's a cheap ass gamer.

[quote name='Silencer']Now, that's a cheap ass gamer.[/quote]

:lol:

To be honest, I'm not nbuying into this whole anti-CC mini-movement as it is, so I'll shop there when it benefits me. I try not to shop there ever, only because I find my local store to have poor stock and employees, but if I can save money I'll go. I don't buy anything there I could buy elsewhere for the same price, though.

[quote name='ITDEFX']CAG is NOT being Sued... RELAX[/QUOTE]
Circuit City IS trying to get a CAG's personal info.

Lets see how this whole things plays out before we all get crazy....CheapyD is not AT&T...He's not going to hand over someone's info without a fight.

My problem with CC's actions is the principle. As far as we know, there is no legal action pending. CC is trying to use the power of the courts (I assume their closest federal district) to get personal information from a CAG. I see it too often where someone or a business just sees the word "subpoena" and automatically turns over whatever is requested. I applaud Cheapy for standing his ground. If I were him, I wouldn't turn anything over until a judge tells him to do it or be prepared to bring your toothbrush.

CC has pretty much gone down the drain over the past 5 years. It used to have some pretty decent deals constantly, especially on DVDs. Now week after week it's us vs. them trying to get them to even honor their own damn advertisements. On top of that, they laid off most of their staff because they were "making too much" then tried to rehire them at a lower rate. The last time I was there I had to spend 30 minutes getting a manager to approve a price match for Civilization IV FROM THEIR OWN AD because the CS people didn't know how to do it.

I'll boycott CC, sure, but I've only bought one thing there in the past year.

I hate CC most time I look for a DVD and it's sold out on that very Tuesday because they buy 4 copies, and then look in the DVD section (where I guess no every learned the alphabet) for an half hour. Only then if I went to buy something I have to search for regester which is hidden in a shelf somewhere then find a person to ring me out. So a five minute in and out trip turns into a 30 minute scavenger hunt.

I also live across the street from a CC but rather drive to Best Buy 10 minutes away. So that really is best example of how much they suck.

wait a minute...

I just looked this up on Wiki

A subpoena is "a command to appear at a certain time and place to give testimony upon a certain matter."[1] The term is from the Middle English suppena and the Latin phrase sub poena meaning "under penalty."[2] The term may also be spelled "subpena."[3]

So CC is telling CheapyD and DVDtalk to go to court and turn over Speedy's info?

When people think "sued" it's usually about money. It's too bad CAG members who are lawyers can't give their input on the situation .

[quote name='Rocko']:lol:

To be honest, I'm not nbuying into this whole anti-CC mini-movement as it is, so I'll shop there when it benefits me. I try not to shop there ever, only because I find my local store to have poor stock and employees, but if I can save money I'll go. I don't buy anything there I could buy elsewhere for the same price, though.[/quote]
Perhaps, but this a community and words like that make you come across more as a cheap ass(hole) gamer than anything else. The prospect of saving a few dollars is worth more to you than defending and supporting the community so perhaps you should stop posting completely.

Just use the deals like an ungrateful individual and go away from the forums.

Boycotting CC is not the solution to this issue at all and besides I know that if a deal comes up thats to good to pass on a lot of CAG will still flock to that store and not say anything lol.

But back to the main issue.. untill more details emerge about this I do not think CC is to blame on this issue and I think they are just being used as the pawn in this game to do all the work for this case.
Look back to Speedy's posts about the ad's and the wildfire that started when the other CAG noticed the price break on the PS3.

I think the player in the shadows on this one is none other than Sony themselves.
The media the posting started about the potential price cut on the PS3 spread so fast and to the media that Sony already lost thier big announcement for E3 and was pit in a situation when they almost had no choice by then to announce a drop or else further suffering would hit the struggling PS3. So by all the hype about the drop so early Sony's announcement about the drop did not have the impact on the market they had hoped for and they are pissed about it. So they do a little investigating to find out where the rumor mill started and find out it was threw a leaked CC ad. So why not now they are using CC to do the dirty work seeing it was threw thier AD that people were aware of the comming drop. Now they know the source so they look further into how this ad was exposed and like I read somewhere else it's not hard to search and find Speedy's thread's.
So now they want to pull out the claws and rip into the one responsible for putting out the buzz early on the drop and taking the fire away from the sales.

So seeing as they know his user name they want the personal info of the guy so they are looking into the sites he is affiliated with.

So bottom line Sony is pissed the big mola making scheme they had come up with did not turn out so well and they are pointing fingers and CC in my eyes is just stuck in the middle seeing it was thier ad...

This should get interesting..

I think the last time I shopped at CC was during the $8.96 sale last summer so...I'm in!

But seriously, this is messed up. Spread the word, don't give them your money.

A boycott is only effective if:

a)There are enough people to make an actual dent in sales
b)the affected company knows about it.

I have three suggestions. First, we should wait a bit and see what happens, if anything, to speedy. Secondly, we should send emissaries to DVDtalk to make this a larger effort. Lastly, someone should compile a number of boycottees and draft a letter to CC. I really believe its a bit early for the last two steps, though.

*EDIT

Just to be clear, I am down with a boycott, or any other sane, legal support of speedy and CAG. Local protest? "Free Speedy" signs marched in front of CC?

[quote name='Derrick1979']Boycotting CC is not the solution to this issue at all and besides I know that if a deal comes up thats to good to pass on a lot of CAG will still flock to that store and not say anything lol.

But back to the main issue.. untill more details emerge about this I do not think CC is to blame on this issue and I think they are just being used as the pawn in this game to do all the work for this case.
Look back to Speedy's posts about the ad's and the wildfire that started when the other CAG noticed the price break on the PS3.

I think the player in the shadows on this one is none other than Sony themselves.
The media the posting started about the potential price cut on the PS3 spread so fast and to the media that Sony already lost thier big announcement for E3 and was pit in a situation when they almost had no choice by then to announce a drop or else further suffering would hit the struggling PS3. So by all the hype about the drop so early Sony's announcement about the drop did not have the impact on the market they had hoped for and they are pissed about it. So they do a little investigating to find out where the rumor mill started and find out it was threw a leaked CC ad. So why not now they are using CC to do the dirty work seeing it was threw thier AD that people were aware of the comming drop. Now they know the source so they look further into how this ad was exposed and like I read somewhere else it's not hard to search and find Speedy's thread's.
So now they want to pull out the claws and rip into the one responsible for putting out the buzz early on the drop and taking the fire away from the sales.

So seeing as they know his user name they want the personal info of the guy so they are looking into the sites he is affiliated with.

So bottom line Sony is pissed the big mola making scheme they had come up with did not turn out so well and they are pointing fingers and CC in my eyes is just stuck in the middle seeing it was thier ad...

This should get interesting..[/quote]
So the fact they were the ones who filed the supoena should totally show that Sony is at the root of the problem?

A guy does a service for us and if something happens to him, I think it's pretty fucked up that you're basically giving him the message, "Hey Speedy. Tough shit.", and wait for someone else to pick up the ball. It's selfish thinking.

Whether you like it or not, CC does have a right to control their own print ads and the release of info from their own store. Now whether or not they should have just asked speedy to stop instead of asking for a subpoena for personal info is another matter.

A boycott will do nothing. The merchandise most CAGs buy is under cost to start with.

[quote name='Zen Davis']So the fact they were the ones who filed the supoena should totally show that Sony is at the root of the problem?

A guy does a service for us and if something happens to him, I think it's pretty fucked up that you're basically giving him the message, "Hey Speedy. Tough shit.", and wait for someone else to pick up the ball. It's selfish thinking.[/quote]

ok if you would go into detail what lead you to that idea that would be sweet.

What I was going to add that I forgot was that he has been posting ads and what not for how many months and no one ever complained about it until the price drop on the PS3 was leaked so it's almost obvious sony has something to do with this.

Now as for Speedy, yeah it is messed up that this guy is getting shafted like this, but in all honesty if your going around posting the stores ad's let alone advanced copies of them without permission something like this could potentially happen maybe never but could and im sure he knew that. He was clearly violating copy right policy's by posting pictures of the ads on that other site.
So yeah he is going to get the book dropped on him over this because someones mad that his actions led to them not getting thier money.

[quote name='Derrick1979']What I was going to add that I forgot was that he has been posting ads and what not for how many months and no one ever complained about it until the price drop on the PS3 was leaked so it's almost obvious sony has something to do with this.

[/quote]

How much you want to bet that digg sped this whole situation up?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']How much you want to bet that digg sped this whole situation up?[/quote]

It's clear cut the major game manufaturers are the muscle behind this and are just using the retailers to do the dirty work...

Speedy better call Johnny Cockrin er however you spell his name...

This whole thing sucks to no end but what can you do it's obvious with the PS3 and the 360 the whole agenda is not to provide it's customer with a quality entertainment product and support it with good software. The driving force behind the new wave of systems is the money they bring in to these companies and someone messed with it...

[quote name='Derrick1979']It's clear cut the major game manufaturers are the muscle behind this and are just using the retailers to do the dirty work...

Speedy better call Johnny Cockrin er however you spell his name...

This whole thing sucks to no end but what can you do it's obvious with the PS3 and the 360 the whole agenda is not to provide it's customer with a quality entertainment product and support it with good software. The driving force behind the new wave of systems is the money they bring in to these companies and someone messed with it...[/quote]

1. Could be somewhat true.

2. He's dead.

3. Umm, that's pretty much how it works. I wish these companies made these products out of the goodness of their hearts but that's just irrational.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Now as for Speedy, yeah it is messed up that this guy is getting shafted like this, but in all honesty if your going around posting the stores ad's let alone advanced copies of them without permission something like this could potentially happen maybe never but could and im sure he knew that. He was clearly violating copy right policy's by posting pictures of the ads on that other site.

So yeah he is going to get the book dropped on him over this because someones mad that his actions led to them not getting thier money.[/quote]

Your response basically reads like 'Sucks to be you Speedy". Nice job.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Your response basically reads like 'Sucks to be you Speedy". Nice job.[/quote]

Well what else do you expect me to say im looking at the big picture here and what they have on him and can use is the whole copy right thing.. sorry but there would be nothing they could do if he just typed them out like he does on here but posting the actual ad is risky...

I have been to many CC in many different locations. The only good ones I have ever found are in Portsmouth NH and Maine.

I normally buy from them once a year, around this time when they have the $4 DVD sale. This year I didn't go because of damn road work.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Well what else do you expect me to say im looking at the big picture here and what they have on him and can use is the whole copy right thing.. sorry but there would be nothing they could do if he just typed them out like he does on here but posting the actual ad is risky...[/quote]

Because if you look at it from the perspective of a person who isn't a douchebag, there was no way that Speedy was hurting Circuit City in any way or form. It's like your basketball rolls on someone's lawn and you go to pick up and they call the cops on you for trespassing.

Wouldn't we do more damage financially to CC if we purchased MORE of their big loss items rather than boycott them? CAG boycotting them is probably what they want. They're actually losing money off of us because we skim the ads, buy all of the really good sale or clearance items, and leave all of the high profit stuff alone.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']I always go to the Best Buy. Funny thing is that the circuit city is across the street from the best buy.[/QUOTE]

and who's parking lot is usually full during the weekends?

It's strange how stores would go after people for spreading their coupons/deals. Seems to me that it would have the opposite effect from the goal of making those same coupons/deals in the first place.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Perhaps, but this a community and words like that make you come across more as a cheap ass(hole) gamer than anything else. The prospect of saving a few dollars is worth more to you than defending and supporting the community so perhaps you should stop posting completely.

Just use the deals like an ungrateful individual and go away from the forums.[/quote]
Here's a solution. I won't look at Speedy's posts, and, gasp, read the Sunday Paper. then I'm not reaping the benefit of Speedy's kindness, so I'm allowed to shop there, right?

I appreciate what Speedy does and think this is a shitty move by CC, but it isn't a totally bogus suit and me not shopping there won't make them go broke.

I don't see anyone boycotting Sony, by the way, which is the popular guess as to who brought CC to do this subpoena. But, if you boycotted Sony, you'd actually have to give something up, so of course no one will do that.

[quote name='Rocko']Here's a solution. I won't look at Speedy's posts, and, gasp, read the Sunday Paper. then I'm not reaping the benefit of Speedy's kindness, so I'm allowed to shop there, right?

I appreciate what Speedy does and think this is a shitty move by CC, but it isn't a totally bogus suit and me not shopping there won't make them go broke.

I don't see anyone boycotting Sony, by the way, which is the popular guess as to who brought CC to do this subpoena. But, if you boycotted Sony, you'd actually have to give something up, so of course no one will do that.[/quote]

That, my friend, is an excellent post.

[quote name='Rocko']Here's a solution. I won't look at Speedy's posts, and, gasp, read the Sunday Paper. then I'm not reaping the benefit of Speedy's kindness, so I'm allowed to shop there, right?

I don't see anyone boycotting Sony, by the way, which is the popular guess as to who brought CC to do this subpoena. But, if you boycotted Sony, you'd actually have to give something up, so of course no one will do that.[/quote]

I boycott both so what's your point.:roll:

While I agree with you I do find it completely. I find it bullshit that CC is trying to take legal action when no one did anything illegal. Several people on this site seem to get info out early to different store sales, so what? What difference does it make if we know what is on sale a week early?

CC has no grounds. Cheapy should just move the CAG server to some dumb country and then CC can go fuck themselves for being an insane, power hungry shit store.

[quote name='bigdaddy']While I agree with you I do find it completely. I find it bullshit that CC is trying to take legal action when no one did anything illegal. Several people on this site seem to get info out early to different store sales, so what? What difference does it make if we know what is on sale a week early?

CC has no grounds. Cheapy should just move the CAG server to some dumb country and then CC can go fuck themselves for being an insane, power hungry shit store.[/quote]
But they could have legal ground if their weekly circulars are copyrighted material. However, it's still silly to sue over free publicity, hence the hunch that sony is involved. This is purely speculation on my part, however, as well as many others'.

Maybe Pepsiman is the one suing us... he did say he would, didn't he? So he's the one behind this...

[quote name='Rozz']Maybe Pepsiman is the one suing us... he did say he would, didn't he? So he's the one behind this...[/QUOTE]

someone has betrade the Republic!!

palpatine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back