If I haven't played through any of the KZ or Resistance games..

SnoT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Does it matter where I start (I'm not all that worried about following the story.) , and if not which of each series are the better games?

Resistance 3 definitely don't need to play the previous ones; it's not even the same main character anymore. Its a very self-contained story within the Resistance universe. I never got very far into Resistance 1 or 2 but I couldn't put 3 down.

Killzone probably because 3 picks up right where 2 ends. Although, I've played all 3 Killzones and I can't remember much of anything that happened in the entire series...

Yeah, I'd skip the first two Resistance games if I could do it all over again. Resistance 3 puts those two to shame, anyway.

And Killzone 2, especially if you plan on going directly into Killzone 3.

Also as a note this would be more for the single player then multiplayer. I am horrible at FPS's online on a console. Plus I like the Battlefield style of multiplayer better.

I never played Killzone but enjoyed k2 and k3 greatly. Id pick up k2 before k3.

Resistance 1 and 2 are solid games, I actually liked 2 more than 3, but you can play through 3 w/o playing the previous 2 and not be lost. I'd recommend at least playing through the first two as they are solid games which can be had for cheap.

Subsequently, I think Resistance 2's multiplayer was my one of my favorites so far this generation. I cant get into 3's at all. I did like K2 and K3 multiplayer.

I believe the Resistance sequels do a good job of catching you up with what's going on. Killzone 3 picks up right where 2 leaves off, so it would be best to play those two in order even though you're not missing too much by skipping the first.

I think overall Resistance > Killzone..

I just played thru the first two PS3 Resistance games in the last month and thought they were both pretty damn good.

Killzone is good too though... 3 was such a let down for me but still a fun few hours.

[quote name='SnoT']Does it matter where I start (I'm not all that worried about following the story.) , and if not which of each series are the better games?[/QUOTE]

Definately not. I'm usually a stickler for this kind of thing but the continuity in these games is.. disjointed to say the least.

IMO Killzone2 has the worst characters in a videogame ever. I almost quit playing when Rico beat one of his soldiers to death because the guy made a bad joke.

I would say that for single player Resistance is better and the first is still worth playing, the second is pretty good but has a lot of issues in the campaign it does however have a really good non campaign coop mode. Killzone has a good single player but I would reccomend playing the 2 before 3 as it is set directly after, never played the first so idea how that is.

The original Killzone was actually really fun. I hesitate to say it was better than 2, but some parts of KZ2 were REALLY hokey. The single player for Resistance 2 was kinda ho-hum after the first one, but the online co-op mode makes the game worth purchasing, no joke. As much as I hate DLC, I'd pay extra for co-op in Resistance 3.

I'd say Resistance 1 for single player hands down. R2 wasn't as good, and I think someone else got hold of the story after R1 as it hasn't felt the same since then. R3 isn't on my radar, as I was completely unimpressed with multiplayer during the beta.

Killzone 2 is kinda weird middle of the road action movie-ish. 3 goes straight for it in my book by compensating for "other franchise envy" with it's scripted events and boss battles. But if you're going to play KZ2 or KZ3, you may as well play the other one as well.

[quote name='zenprime']I'd say Resistance 1 for single player hands down. R2 wasn't as good, and I think someone else got hold of the story after R1 as it hasn't felt the same since then. R3 isn't on my radar, as I was completely unimpressed with multiplayer during the beta.[/QUOTE]

You should check out the campaign for 3. I loved R1's approach to the story telling (although it kind of dropped off by the end of the game), and I thought R2 threw all of that away in favor of a generic super-soldier style game and I didn't appreciate it at all.

R3 is a much more story driven game- and does away with the navy seals / special ops feel the 2nd game had. I would say that it's my favorite of the series.

KZ 2/3 are superior technically to Resistance. I can't even remember what the story is in KZ, just that it was a good game. Haven't played KZ3 yet.

Resistance series has cooler guns. R1 has a great single player story, and the way they tell the story is unique too; I think it is in my top 10 this generation because of that aspect. R2 is a pretty generic shooter, the best thing about it, is the sense of scale... huge bosses. I want to try R3.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']KZ 2/3 are superior technically to Resistance. I can't even remember what the story is in KZ, just that it was a good game. Haven't played KZ3 yet.[/QUOTE]

Can't remember the Killzone stories because they absolutely, forgettably suck.

After playing some KZ2 last night, I say "Skip it and go straight to KZ3." Or better yet, just go with Resistance 3 and skip all the other ones.

bread's done
Back