If the new Xbox is online only, will you buy it?

[quote name='dirtyvu']but that's not the most common case. 70-80% of all 360s are connected to the Internet.[/QUOTE]

Oh sure. I meant that I suspect it's more common for a 360 to just not be connected at all, than to be connected sometimes but not always.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Yes, as I only play when my console is connected[/QUOTE]

So you are saying if your internet goes out you stop playing? O.k.

I'm buying it regardless. My Xbox is always connected, In the last three years that I've lived in Cleveland, Ohio I've never had interrupted internet service. In all honesty I think that if your devices aren't constantly connected to the internet in your house then you are not really the demographic for the New Xbox. As far as it not playing used games, this does not affect me. 90% of the games I buy are new.

Nope. If I can't just plug it in to my TV and pop in a disc to play a game... then I won't be buying the next Xbox. Which is sad considering the Xbox and Xbox 360 were some of my favorite consoles.

Why do these threads pop up once in a while, based on less than a ghost of a rumor.

It's like asking, if the next honda has 6 wheels, will you buy it?

[quote name='confoosious']Why do these threads pop up once in a while, based on less than a ghost of a rumor.

It's like asking, if the next honda has 6 wheels, will you buy it?[/QUOTE]

Depends, can I use the Honda if I'm not connected to the internet?

[quote name='confoosious']Why do these threads pop up once in a while, based on less than a ghost of a rumor.

It's like asking, if the next honda has 6 wheels, will you buy it?[/QUOTE]

How many wheels does the Xbox have?

I'm not sure yet as I might try to stick with 1 console next gen (PS4 or XBOX NEXT) but I'm surprised at how there is so much love for used games. It seems like new games drop so fast these days. I've probably gotten better deals on new games than I have buying used. To be honest I don't ever really buy used anyway unless it's so cheap I can't pass.

The other thing is people love STEAM and that's all digital\online. Even though I thought I'd never be on board with going all digital I must admit I like the convenience of it all. I wish the digital pricing was better but PSN and even to some extent LIVE has been better with the sales lately. I know they are pushing this stuff late in the gen but hopefully larger digital sales convince them discounts are a good thing for business.

I feel like this has been blown out of proportion, the only thing that makes me think there is something to it is that Microsoft hasn't really commented on it. Obviously as gamers, any sort of SimCity disaster would be less then ideal. Hopefully it's not quite that.

[quote name='jkam']
The other thing is people love STEAM and that's all digital\online. Even though I thought I'd never be on board with going all digital I must admit I like the convenience of it all. I wish the digital pricing was better but PSN and even to some extent LIVE has been better with the sales lately. [/QUOTE]

Personally, the only reason I ever use steam is because the most I've ever spent on a single game was $7.49 (Torchlight 2 sale) and there's a few bundles I've bought but those were all under $15 for the entire bundle of games. The majority of my purchases have been in the $5 range. I have never, and will never, spend more than $10-15 for anything on Steam because of the digital/online and the tenuous "ownership" I feel it creates.

The only used games I buy are from Gamefly. I would hate to lose those deals. Actually occasionally from Amazon Warehouse Deals too. These are (usually) better than the best new deal, often by a wide margin (just got Transformers Fall of Cybertron for $15 and change from GF) and I've always gotten games in great shape, especially from Gamefly.

[quote name='dirtyvu']but that's not the most common case. 70-80% of all 360s are connected to the Internet.[/QUOTE]

Are they? The last stat I saw was last January where 40 million of 66 million signed up an account, but not necessarily who were active Live users. That's only about 61%. Now they have about 77 million, but I haven't seen a more recent Live userbase count. Did they release new numbers or are they also counting those who are connected online, but don't have Live?

Regardless of set of numbers, you're still talking about at least 20-30% of the 360 market not being connected if dirtyvu's numbers are right.

Hard to see MS telling 20%+ of their current market to go pound sand and turn away all that potential money in hardware and software sales.

[quote name='jkam']I'm not sure yet as I might try to stick with 1 console next gen (PS4 or XBOX NEXT) but I'm surprised at how there is so much love for used games. It seems like new games drop so fast these days. I've probably gotten better deals on new games than I have buying used. To be honest I don't ever really buy used anyway unless it's so cheap I can't pass.
[/quote]

I seldom buy used games. But I also almost never replay games nor am I a collector so I sell most games on Amazon right after beating them.

I'd hate to lose that way to recoup cash and be stuck with disc games I can do nothing with but toss in recycling or something.

Digital games get rid of the latter part of that problem, but we just haven't seen Steam type sales on Xbox or PS3 download version of full/disc games--or even really the XBLA titles. If prices fall to that level in sales I'd be fine with it.

I don't mind paying $5-10, or even up to $20, for a digital game I'll play once and never touch again. $30-40+ and there are few that are worth paying that for to me. And pretty much none at the $50-60 price point.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Regardless of set of numbers, you're still talking about at least 20-30% of the 360 market not being connected if dirtyvu's numbers are right.

Hard to see MS telling 20%+ of their current market to go pound sand and turn away all that potential money in hardware and software sales.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make much sense, but Microsoft has done a lot of questionable things. I think there's a chance they won't, but a nagging thought in my head is saying they think they'll recoup the cost with those purchasing it solely for a media box and not a game console, and on those who may purchase it with a contract (if they have that model) even if they don't have an online connection.

Then if they ditch points and go with a $ system, those point cards sales will go on sale as much as PSN cards do, so basically non-existent making them even more money. Even more so if they increase the price of Live which is entirely possible.

So while giving the finger to a chunk of their customers seems like a poor decision, they may think it's worth it if they can trick or manipulate the sales elsewhere.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']They are overhauling it. Did you not pay attention to their media event? That was one of their main focal points.[/QUOTE]

yes overhaul = stupid sharing stuff and facebook and what not. unless they get better servers it's not a overhaul. i can down load a demo of a game that is like 2 gb on xbox in like 10 mins on ps3 for same size of file it takes 40 mins if not more.

[quote name='jkam']I've probably gotten better deals on new games than I have buying used. To be honest I don't ever really buy used anyway unless it's so cheap I can't pass.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']The only used games I buy are from Gamefly. I would hate to lose those deals. Actually occasionally from Amazon Warehouse Deals too. These are (usually) better than the best new deal, often by a wide margin (just got Transformers Fall of Cybertron for $15 and change from GF) and I've always gotten games in great shape, especially from Gamefly.[/QUOTE]

This is me as well, usually after waiting a bit picking up the new game for $40 or less from Amazon/Best Buy/Newegg and $10 used games at Gamefly.

bread's done
Back