If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='The Crotch']My problem with "Let's voice act everything ever!" is more a matter of time. RPGs are long god damn creatures with lots and lots of dialogue, and I flat out refuse to sit there and listen to every fucking Treebeard go on and on about whatever the fuck it is they have to say. So I turn subtitles on whenever possible and mash buttons to skip through most dialogue as fast as possible, which means I hear a lot of "Shepard, you s-" and "I think Shulk-" and the like. So immersive!

EDIT: It can also be limiting for developers. Want to change a line of dialogue? fuck you, we already did the VA for it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you just reminded me of all the times I kept tapping spacebar only to pick the wrong dialogue option; they always showed up while the characters were speaking. It was also always hovering over the worst option.

Mass Effect is The Worst for that. I don't know how they managed to fuck up something so simple three times in a row. Even fucking Dragon Age 2 got it right.

[quote name='ID2006']The only game I've played that comes close to FFX toxic voice acting levels is Baten Kaitos. Especially that guy with the red hair. I never did finish that game.[/QUOTE]

I actually kind of secretly liked the voice work in that game, it was kind of so bad it was good if you know what I mean 8-[. The voice through a tube effect, since you are a playing as a spirit who communicates with the main character, was kind of strange and not very well done though. Also, you could totally turn the voices in that game off (I left them on though, see above). Also, I love that game, shame on you for not finishing it. :cry:

[quote name='icebeast']I actually kind of secretly liked the voice work in that game, it was kind of so bad it was good if you know what I mean 8-[. The voice through a tube effect, since you are a playing as a spirit who communicates with the main character, was kind of strange and not very well done though. Also, you could totally turn the voices in that game off (I left them on though, see above). Also, I love that game, shame on you for not finishing it. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I was bitter because my cheap 3rd party memory card got corrupted.

I couldn't bear the thought of all that card collecting again. Also, all my cheese cards kept getting moldy, or something like that. I think I was near the end, too. Last part I remember was
that rainbow island with the giant tree. I can't remember if I was past that, though.

Edit: Also, I never noticed you could turn off the voices. I wasn't really attentive I guess.

I also lost my awesome Symphonia save with 4 playthroughs. I was trying so hard to complete a Zelos playthrough when it happened. He was really fun to use in combat. Also, I remember using that one exploit to mix Tech and Strike moves for some overpowered combos. That was great. Ah, nostalgia.

calling FFX's voice acting 'toxic' makes me cock my head a bit. i didn't think it was nearly that bad.

and written dialogue doesn't necessarily cure the Japanese curse of cheesy melodrama.

[quote name='panzerfaust']calling FFX's voice acting 'toxic' makes me cock my head a bit.[/QUOTE]

I had a bad moment of dyslexia there where I skimmed your message and read:

[quote name='panzerfaust']calling FFX's voice acting 'toxic' makes my cock head a bit.[/QUOTE]

And I was very confused and wondered where the rest of the sentence was, then realized I read it wrong.

[quote name='panzerfaust']calling FFX's voice acting 'toxic' makes me cock my head a bit. i didn't think it was nearly that bad.

and written dialogue doesn't necessarily cure the Japanese curse of cheesy melodrama.[/QUOTE]
yeah i don't think ff 10's was that bad. toxic? wow.

i'm trying to find a counterargument to the cheesy melodrama, but i can't find it. dragon quest maybe?

[quote name='blueshinra']Then there's those that... don't quite sound right. Besides FFX, Xenosaga Episode 1 and Makai Kingdom (the dub for which was so bad that I switched to Japanese voices) come to mind.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember Xenosaga I being that bad. Wasn't there a huge backlash against the second game because they changed the voice actors (besides all the other things they did). Also, Albedo.

[quote name='blueshinra']There are some JRPGs with good, even enjoyable, English voice acting. The Tales and Kingdom Hearts series are generally consistent in this regard, and the dubs in Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Persona 3 are decent as well. Then there's those that... don't quite sound right. Besides FFX, Xenosaga Episode 1 and Makai Kingdom (the dub for which was so bad that I switched to Japanese voices) come to mind.[/QUOTE]

You weren't a fan of Mickey from Makai Kingdom dubbed.:lol:

[quote name='Indignate']Also, Albedo.[/QUOTE]
YES, ALBEDO. I got so sick of hearing "ma peche" all the time in that heavily breathy wannabe-creepy voice of his.

I also wasn't too crazy about Shion's voice, though it did fit the character. The rest were all right, but the game gets -47 points for Albedo in terms of voice acting. Worst villain voice ever. Well, maybe next to Seymour's... maybe...

[quote name='themaster20000']You weren't a fan of Mickey from Makai Kingdom dubbed.:lol:[/QUOTE]
My memories of Makai Kingdom are so murky now that I don't remember a character with that name :razz:

[quote name='kainzero']yeah i don't think ff 10's was that bad. toxic? wow.

i'm trying to find a counterargument to the cheesy melodrama, but i can't find it. dragon quest maybe?[/QUOTE]

Bah, some of you are just too resistant to it; I really considered dropping it because of the awful voice acting. I'll admit, however, that the worst culprit was whoever voiced the omnipresent Yuna, so they weren't all terrible. Rondo was okay. And Seymour. Hard to read the word Seymour without hearing "Skinnerrrrrrr!" in the back of my mind, though.

As for cheesy melodrama — yeah, I realize that, but it's much harder to accomplish without the voice actors. Seiken Densetsu 3 would make a good example I think. If they'd added voice acting in that game, I can only imagine all the kiddy high-pitched voices they give the females, and the loud obnoxious voices the males would have. But because it lacks voice acting, I can read the text while imagining voices that I feel are more fitting, etc.

Can we all just agree that FFX is a terrible game and move on with our lives?

I mean please?

You don't even have to agree, let's just stop talking about that game.

Here, I'll start.

I'm still in the beginning of the desert area in Tales of Graces. I haven't gotten a chance to play in a while and probably won't until after finals. I also think that I'm going to start over on Shadow Hearts and actually finish that game up. It's a good one right? Way better than those PS2 games that you guys keep talking about that aren't good.

Crotch, what's up with the kickstarters, man?

The only voice I genuinely despised in FFX was Wakka's. Everything just sounded wrong about it. Then again, nobody should have ever used Wakka except in Blitzball and a few select fights. He pretty much gets kicked to the bench once you get Auron.

[quote name='GhostShark']The only voice I genuinely despised in FFX was Wakka's. Everything just sounded wrong about it. Then again, nobody should have ever used Wakka except in Blitzball and a few select fights. He pretty much gets kicked to the bench once you get Auron.[/QUOTE]
auron was dumb because he had cleave or whatever. like why would you use wakka from a gameplay perspective?

on the other hand wakka throws balls at people. so awesome.

[quote name='Indignate']Crotch, what's up with the kickstarters, man?[/QUOTE]
Well, the Jagged Alliance Kickstarter is now A Thing, but I think I might need you to tell me how I feel about it.

Wakka can be decent if you take him into Lulu or Auron's sphere grid after you complete his. His one redeeming vocal quality was yelling "BOOYAH" when he killed something in one hit. That is pretty awesome. Shades of Cyborg in Teen Titans (and now Injustice!).

Putting Dungeons of Dredmor on the backburner, and I had to ship off my 3DS XL to Nintendo for repairs again (the unit I got back the first time was worse off than the one I originally sent them), so the next RPG I'm planning to start is Opoona. Need something simple and lighthearted right now. Also, it's made by ArtePiazza with music courtesy of Basiscape; those two factors alone are promising.

[quote name='GhostShark']Wakka can be decent if you take him into Lulu or Auron's sphere grid after you complete his. His one redeeming vocal quality was yelling "BOOYAH" when he killed something in one hit. That is pretty awesome. Shades of Cyborg in Teen Titans (and now Injustice!).[/QUOTE]
i thought you only complete someone's section of the sphere grid in post game? well maybe not post game but like, when you get the airship or whatever.

by then you can make everyone OP.

[quote name='Indignate']I am going to die in this thread when that FFX HD comes out, aren't I?[/QUOTE]
Not if all you talk about is FFX-2.

was thinking about ordering tales of xilia CE on amazon, and then somehow i started thinking about math so i ordered all these university-level math textbooks.

then when i checked today it was out of stock.

uh.

well, it's a good thing i got it on GS.

[quote name='blueshinra']Not if all you talk about is FFX-2.[/QUOTE]

FFX-2 is like the complete opposite of FFX.

It was a good game but its Blitzball was terrible.

I completed everyone's sphere grid 100%... gods the hours wasted...

After playing the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo, I really, really liked it. Any point in going back to a previous one (if cheaper), or just jump into 4? I know they're not really story related, but gameplay wise.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I completed everyone's sphere grid 100%... gods the hours wasted...

After playing the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo, I really, really liked it. Any point in going back to a previous one (if cheaper), or just jump into 4? I know they're not really story related, but gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]

You can go back to 3. One and two were less polished.

The Camelot Unchained Kickstarter has 3 days to go and needs to pick up another $400,000 to hit its basic goal.

Kind of weird how funding on it has gone, really. Project Eternity and Torment had significantly more dollars-per-backer than other big-name projects like Wasteland 2 and Double Fine Adventure, but Camelot? Camelot has around 40% of the money of PE with around 14% the backer count.

Some motherfuckers really want a Dark Age of Camelot pseudosequel.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I completed everyone's sphere grid 100%... gods the hours wasted...

After playing the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo, I really, really liked it. Any point in going back to a previous one (if cheaper), or just jump into 4? I know they're not really story related, but gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]

Did this too. Lulu's little Cactuar hit for 99k on normal attacks. Crowning achievement.

[quote name='Indignate']Your number punching is less impressive now that I know you just steal all of it from those other forums.[/QUOTE]
Hey now, that one was actually me. I couldn't find anyone who cared enough about Camelot Unchained to plug its Kickstarter data into a convenient graph.

The stealth based ideas for Camelot Unchained sounds awesome, unfortunately I cannot contribute to an unfinished product that most likely will never be what it truly wants to be.

[quote name='Zmonkay']After playing the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo, I really, really liked it. Any point in going back to a previous one (if cheaper), or just jump into 4? I know they're not really story related, but gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='elessar123']You can go back to 3. One and two were less polished.[/QUOTE]

I'd say 2 would be fine too, 3 didn't feel like it changed a lot to improve the core game (especially versus the jump from EO1 to EO2) aside from the big new features like the boat parts (I started with 2 when it came out). Don't touch 1 unless you really want to see the series roots though, that one just has a lot of UI issues (like the store not really showing if equipment is an improvement without you having to figure it out yourself) and odd design decisions (like skill tress that are basically hidden so you have no clue what characters can actually do until you actually get to a skill).

Honestly though 4 is a good jumping on point since they streamlined a few things which I thought were a little silly, the biggest of which was the gathering skills where you now don't need a person who is dedicated to gathering and who you aren't expecting to ever use in real combat, with the changes to how that works you can basically just spend a single point to improve gathering on a regular team that you like instead of building a team member specialized to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']You can go back to 3. One and two were less polished.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='icebeast']I'd say 2 would be fine too, 3 didn't feel like it changed a lot to improve the core game (especially versus the jump from EO1 to EO2) aside from the big new features like the boat parts (I started with 2 when it came out). Don't touch 1 unless you really want to see the series roots though, that one just has a lot of UI issues (like the store not really showing if equipment is an improvement without you having to figure it out yourself) and odd design decisions (like skill tress that are basically hidden so you have no clue what characters can actually do until you actually get to a skill).

Honestly though 4 is a good jumping on point since they streamlined a few things which I thought were a little silly, the biggest of which was the gathering skills where you now don't need a person who is dedicated to gathering and who you aren't expecting to ever use in real combat, with the changes to how that works you can basically just spend a single point to improve gathering on a regular team that you like instead of building a team member specialized to do it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I actually did try EO1 back when it came out (borrowed from a buddy) and hated it. Maybe that's why I was so pleased with the EO4 demo. I'll keep an eye out on a good deal on 3 or 4 methinks (might just hold off till 4 honestly, depends on how soon I get burned out on Monster Hunter :D)

Speaking of... I should go play some Monster Hunter...

I'm thinking of picking up Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 or 2 now that they are reprinted, can anyone who has played them talk me into it?

[quote name='raiden_86']I'm thinking of picking up Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 or 2 now that they are reprinted, can anyone who has played them talk me into it?[/QUOTE]

I beat the first one, but I'm still about halfway through the second one. They're fine games, nothing really bad to say about them. It's got an interesting setting being in Japan during the 1930's. While battles are random the fighting is done in real time and is quite satisfying. They both pretty much play exactly the same. DS2 gives you the option of opening with an initial attack which make it easier to focus on weaknesses. If you wanted to jump right into DS2 and skip the first one it could be done without missing much.

At points the story does drag a bit and I had to push myself to keep playing, but this happens to me on a normal basis in RPGs.

I will say both could've benefited from voice acting, even if it was in Japanese and subbed. It would've given the characters more personality since everyone's a bit on the bland side.

[quote name='raiden_86']I'm thinking of picking up Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 or 2 now that they are reprinted, can anyone who has played them talk me into it?[/QUOTE]

Were those with the Ryo detective guy? Set in the 1900s of Japan? And he had a cat? I only played the first but it was pretty good. The combat is more action based than other SMT games, however.

[quote name='panzerfaust']yo Indignate, what are some easy piano arrangements i can start with for FF music? i got yuffie's theme down and i'm hooked.[/QUOTE]

Theme of Love

[quote name='panzerfaust']yo blueshinra, what are some easy piano arrangements i can start with for FF music? i got yuffie's theme down and i'm hooked.[/QUOTE]
Tina/Terra's Theme might be good. I'm not sure which arrangement, though...

I want to learn Kuja's Theme sometime. Love that one.

I thought Waltz for the Moon/Eyes on Me was pretty easy too, though that could just be the arrangement I found a while back.

Suteki da ne isn't all that bad either IIRC.

Going thru my current-gen rpg backlog. It seems Disgaea 3 has been sitting on the shelf the longest, so I will give it a shot. Not played any of the other Disgaea games, but I started 3 not long after it came out, played a couple hours, then got distracted.

What RPGs have been sitting in your backlog the longest?

[quote name='Krymner']What RPGs have been sitting in your backlog the longest?[/QUOTE]

SWTOR, I can seem to never finish it. I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, I have Planescape waiting for me...

[quote name='Krymner']What RPGs have been sitting in your backlog the longest?[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head (and for games that I actually still plan on playing at some point soon) I want to say Suikoden II, I got it as a birthday present back in maybe 2004 or 2005 and I still haven't played it. I did finally get to Suikoden 1 around 4-5 years ago though, and I started V but didn't finish it.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 is right around that time too, and while I did play and make it a bit into that game I didn't finish it, so it's back in the backlog and has been there for a long time.

Right now, I think that's Persona 4, which I got around the time it came out. It's either that or Valkyrie Profile 2.

If we're including RPGs that I've started, never beaten, and still have sitting around somewhere, then Record of Lodoss War on the Dreamcast is the clear winner. It's a decent game, and I want to pick it up again sometime, but it got pretty hard and I couldn't be bothered to continue playing at the time.

Yeah, SMT DDS 1 an 2 are both in my backlog too. I need to get me a PS2 someday.....

And I really wish Suikoden II would hurry up and get on dat PSN. It has one of the greatest rpg villians.

And I do still wanna try SWTOR, but I need a better graphics card.

Shame on you, Blue. Get on that Persona 4 asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back