If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, getting farther along in Wild Arms and I'm remembering how awesome the music in this game is, reminds me of one of the reasons I enjoyed this series so much.

[quote name='blueshinra']
As for Harvest Moon, I love it to death and it's one of my personal favorite SNES games, but it's flawed and not for everyone.[/QUOTE]

The Harvest Moon series has been one of my favorite just sit back and have a good time games to relax too that's not very stressful, I played 64 and Back to Nature first but have went back and played the SNES one, I still enjoy the series to this day and play it every now and again.

Tales of Destiny has an encounter rate of like everything on the planet.

Doesn't help that the game has frozen twice on me now near the end of a dungeon.

This latest time was pretty awesome as it froze during the casting of a spell and then just ratted off every single battle cry in the game of which there is one for every character's special attacks.

I think I played ToD but wasn't a huge fan at the time, I actually only really got into the series starting with Symphonia, been a pretty big fan since then though.

I also have always thought FF IX kinda lost focus towards the end. The last 25% of the game seems weak and has a rushed feeling to it like Square suddenly realized the PS2 is out and they needed to get it realeased asap. The rest of the game more than makes up for it, however.

On chapter 12 (of 16) in Resonance of Fate. The story keeps coming together, and I am amazed at some of the best voice acting I have experienced in a RPG in some time. I also dig the music.

Growlanser wayfarer of Time is pretty slow moving. 3 hours in and I've done three, maybe 4 missions.
The random encounters between missions are all of the "worm, bat, scorpion" variety.

I don't quite get how the spell/ring//knack (These are actually three separate things each with their own menu) system works yet either.

Finally beat Persona 3.Glad I decided to pick it up again.That last fight was pretty easy,but the amount of forms Nyx had was just ridiculous,and god forbid you get charmed from Night Queen end up healing it fully,then your screwed.

[quote name='themaster20000']god forbid you get charmed from Night Queen end up healing it fully,then your screwed.[/QUOTE]
That happened to me at least once or twice D:

[quote name='themaster20000']Finally beat Persona 3.Glad I decided to pick it up again.That last fight was pretty easy,but the amount of forms Nyx had was just ridiculous,and god forbid you get charmed from Night Queen end up healing it fully,then your screwed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually stopped playing because I felt that battle was complete bs and never went back to it. May try again someday if I can grab it cheap off PSN or something.

These battles in Growlanser are harder than they seem. I'm having to play throuhg them at least twice. Once to figure out the right (there's only one right way) strategy, and a second time to implement it.

Ugh, the first battle with Caius in FFXIII-2 is total bs(I really don't think bosses should be allowed heal or regen spells, it's incrediby cheap). I'm going to try a couple different things but if I can't beat him soon I'll probably just move on to X-Com or something...

whooo~!!! sup RPcheez!! I got this!

31855a18c26c11e2b74e22000a9e07d7_7.jpg

now I'm ready for Shin Megami Tensei IV!!!

I'm playing Fire Emblem in my spare time, like a map before I sleep,

but I beat Bioshock Infinite over the weekend and have no more new games to play til SMT4.

time to pick up an RPG again finally!!!

Soul Hackers is gonna be put on the backlog for a while so I'm thinkin of finally starting Breath of Fire Dragon Q!

Sweet haul, Jekkster. I am seriously considering a 3DS XL purchase this week. My old DS phatty is just sad.

At the final chapter in Resonance of Fate, at last. Need to do a good bit of level-grinding in the arena before doing a run to the end boss.

[quote name='JEKKI'](3DS stuff)[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the club, bro! :D If you're like me, your 3DS backlog's gonna be growing by leaps and bounds pretty soon...

Been sidequestin' in Opoona, but should get back to the main story. EO4's been on the back burner for a little while (been too tired to play it), but I should be ready to move on to the third land/stratum soon.

I think I'm giving up on FFXIII-2. The battle system is fine, but I just don't care. The characters and plot are boring and the dungeons are lame. I'm about 12 hours in and I don't think this is going to change.

[quote name='Krymner']At the final chapter in Resonance of Fate, at last. Need to do a good bit of level-grinding in the arena before doing a run to the end boss.[/QUOTE]

How many hours is that?

I put a little more than 24 into it and I made it past the part where you go to a giant sparkly cavern or something like that.

I feel like I spend way too much time doing other crap and just get tired of games because of that and never beat anything.

[quote name='Erad30']I think I'm giving up on FFXIII-2. The battle system is fine, but I just don't care. The characters and plot are boring and the dungeons are lame. I'm about 12 hours in and I don't think this is going to change.[/QUOTE]

Serah > Lightning

[quote name='Indignate']Would someone else voice act her then or would she still be voice acting with her one voice that she has?[/QUOTE]
Well first of all she has a cornucopia of voices she just chooses some that sound similar and of course it'll still be Serah it'll just be an eye candy sort of DLC skin. Like bikini skins if you pre-order DOA 5 (which no one did)

[quote name='Indignate']How many hours is that?

I put a little more than 24 into it and I made it past the part where you go to a giant sparkly cavern or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Well, my current playtime for the game reads a bit over 75 hours, but I kinda fell asleep playing it and left the game idle for awhile, but I would guess my real playtime is around 50-55 hrs so far. The average seems to be 60, according to the completion-time-wiki, so I guess thats pretty accurate.

I just finished playing through Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS). I had fun with the game, even though I felt that from a mechanics perspective the earlier RPG games in the series were superior. The only thing that I had a real issue with was the lack of XP and progression. Also making all Commands into Consumable Items (Stickers) reminded me of the item hoarding required for Final Fantasy VIII (the Spell-Junction system) and Riviera: The Promised Land.

I started on a playthrough of Crimson Shroud (3DS) and I am loving it. The writing, art, and music remind me a lot of other games by Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII). Definitely worth buying for $4.99 off the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just defeated Kefka in the first real fight with him in Narshe. I don't think I've ever hated a video game villain as much as I hate this fucker. One of the best villains in any game.

Also, Sir Thou.

are you replaying ff6?

i don't think i really hated kefka until
he killed the emperor. then you know that guy is crazy just for the sake of being crazy, which is actually pretty twisted considering that most rpg villains seek power/revenge/etc. and kefka just wants chaos.

Nope, shockingly enough, this is my first time playing the game. The only others I have yet to play are IV, V and XII.

[quote name='kainzero']are you playing the gba ver or the snes ver?[/QUOTE]

The PS1 version with cutscenes and shit on PS3.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Damn part of me wants a physical cart, but this game just seems like it would be perfect for digital (plus I'm flying out Thursday...). Also, last item I ordered from Play Asia literally took a month to arrive...[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but then I realized the physical copy would have more value. When I'm done with it, I can trade in the physical copy for a sizable chunk towards another :3ds: game.

I seriously regret buying Fire Emblem Awakenings as digital. Not that I didn't love the game, but I also really wanted to trade it in after I beat it.

If digital copies were priced more in the range of 25-50% off their physical copy I'd be more inclined to pick them up.

I actually tend to play more digital games on the :ps3: than disc ones. Sometimes I'm just lazy and it's easier than getting up and swapping discs around.

The final boss in Resonance of Fate kicked my butt. I am now off to Neverland, the optional dungeon where all the scary stuff dwells to do some level grinding. Hope Michael Jackson isn't there.....

I really miss JRPGs. It's a big reason why I'm going with a PS4 next gen rather than Xbox again. Resonance of Fate wasn't my cup of tea, but it rekindled my interest for the genre.

So has anyone else played any of these Growlanser games? I guess Wayfarer of Time on the :psp: is the 4th one.

It's really not that bad. The battles actually require a fair amount of strategy, and unless you plan and focus your attacks, you will lose. The story is surprising too. I figured I was going to be working with this band of mercenaries to fight this angel.
Nope. They all die about an hour in.
Okay, I'll join the army and learn about my secret past.
Nope, they captured me to run experiments on me.
I've yet to see how there's any time travel aspect though.

[quote name='ProggleRock']I really miss JRPGs. It's a big reason why I'm going with a PS4 next gen rather than Xbox again. Resonance of Fate wasn't my cup of tea, but it rekindled my interest for the genre.[/QUOTE]

Honestly for JRPGs you might be better off with a 3DS than a PS4, it'll probably have a better selection.

[quote name='Erad30']Honestly for JRPGs you might be better off with a 3DS than a PS4, it'll probably have a better selection.[/QUOTE]
^ This. The DS was the JRPG King last gen with some absolutely amazing games and lots to choose from in general. The 3DS is shaping up to be more of the same, especially given what's been released/announced so far.

If you want a home console to play JRPGs, the WiiU looks promising, with Mistwalker's new game and the SMT/Fire Emblem crossover. Other than that, tho, it is too early to figure out what is a good system for JRPGs next gen, tho it is a good bet it won't be the XBone.

In the meantime, I'll be Double Fine's bitch again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wonX0JYZFA

So far, the bosses have been pretty easy in FFVI, but I am willing to bet that they get harder. Just left Zozo. The story is awesome. And so is Celes and Sabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back