If you get a game with case from gamestop/ebgames.com,are they usually in good shape?

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I just bought a copy of Shadow Hearts Covenant from a local gamestop, and it looks like the receipt fell out of my bag somewhere =/. I did get a case with it, but it is pretty gross (stains all over). The first disk is also scratched pretty badly and has frozen on me multiple times in 2 days.

I am thinking of ordering a copy from the website and was just wondering *IF* you are lucky enough to get a case, are they usually in good shape? i know they aren't guaranteed, but any way to increase your chances ie emailing a request for w/case only?

it is a crap shoot from what others say here. some people get complete games while others just get disc only. so good luck

I guess I mis-worded it a bit. I guess I'm trying to ask in the instances when people *have* gotten cases for used games, what condition were they in?

I ordered 3 copies of the game, hoping one comes with a case, plan on returning the other 2 (I know I'll be out the shipping, but that's worth it for a good case).

I would also like to know this. I just ordered my first game from gamestop.com (Batman: vengeance gc--love this game and let someone barrow it, and never got it back).

I assuming that since its older and not very popular it won't come with case and manuel.
Also how long is it usually for the cheap shipping? It says 5-10 days, but is it closer to 5 or 10? My order was sent out 5 days ago.

I recently order 5 used games from gamestop.com

Metal Gear Solid 2- Got case and manual
WWE Smackdown HCTP-Got case and manual
Mark of Kri-Got case and manual
Virtual Fighter-4- Only the case
GRAN TURISMO 3-Only got the case

[quote name='darkcecil32']I just bought a copy of Shadow Hearts Covenant from a local gamestop, and it looks like the receipt fell out of my bag somewhere =/. I did get a case with it, but it is pretty gross (stains all over). The first disk is also scratched pretty badly and has frozen on me multiple times in 2 days.

I am thinking of ordering a copy from the website and was just wondering *IF* you are lucky enough to get a case, are they usually in good shape? i know they aren't guaranteed, but any way to increase your chances ie emailing a request for w/case only?[/quote]

No idea, never tried ordering it from the site. Chances are they'll give you the shittiest copy they can get their hands on. That's messed up that your copy of Shadow Hearts Covenant isn't working for you...too bad you don't have the receipt :( If you paid with credit card though, I think it would be possible to get a refund

I think it would be better if they would specify the condition of their used stuff...it's a real pain in the ass when you get a scratched up game in a generic case. One time I went to the store and even told the clerks I wanted it "with the original case" and since they didn't have it in stock, they had to get it sent from another location - and it wasn't even in the original case! I got so pissed T_T This is probably off topic, but one time my friend bought a used PS2 from GS and when she got home and opened the box she said bugs (roaches?) started crawling out from it! Then after fumigating the box, she tried plugging it in and it wouldn't turn on. Turns out there were more bugs stuck in the fan in the back. W-T-F. They should really check the condition of their used stuff before reselling it because some of it is just plain nasty.

But yea, I think maybe you should try emailing them and contacting customer service to see if you can order a used copy with a case at least :T Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that GS should catalog and describe every used game, is absurd. You expect a company with 10million plus games to make notes on every game? That's laughable and not realistic.

And when it come to getting the manual and case, just buy it NEW. When you buy a used game or any game in general you are paying for the game and nothing more. A manufacture is not obligated to provide a manual with a game. We have just become accustomed to having a manual included.

I know a lot of games are not made new anymore but if you look hard enough and long enough, you can find a sealed copy. Don't cheap out and buy a used one and then blame GS for not having one with a manual. They sell what they get. Blame fellow gamers for destroying the manual and or case.

All the used games I've gotten from GS have been complete. Mass Effect, Gears, Lost Odyssey. I don't think I'm the exception, but just check the case before you buy it.

And yeah - ordering used online? That is asking for trouble. I always buy B&M for that very reason - you want to see what you're paying for right in the store, not 3 biz days later.

i remember one time i bought a used WCW/NWO revenge for the N64 online. it came with the game only and it got nasty goo on the sticker and inside where ppl blow the cartridge. It even got cigarette burns on the sticker and the game cartridge. the plastic cartridge been melted. its that horrible. i had to go to the store and return that shit.

[quote name='mav451']All the used games I've gotten from GS have been complete. Mass Effect, Gears, Lost Odyssey. I don't think I'm the exception, but just check the case before you buy it.

And yeah - ordering used online? That is asking for trouble. I always buy B&M for that very reason - you want to see what you're paying for right in the store, not 3 biz days later.[/quote]

Yea, the problem is I snagged the last copy of the game I wanted =/.

The first I ordered from gamestop.com was awhile back and I got like 6 used gamecube games and 2 new 360 games.

The 360 games were sealed but 5/6 of the gamecube games were just generic gamestop cases with no manual and scratched up disks and the last game FF:CC had actual water damage to the case/book and the kicker, no disk. Needless to say I returned all that BS and got my money back.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I just bought a copy of Shadow Hearts Covenant from a local gamestop, and it looks like the receipt fell out of my bag somewhere =/. I did get a case with it, but it is pretty gross (stains all over). The first disk is also scratched pretty badly and has frozen on me multiple times in 2 days.

I am thinking of ordering a copy from the website and was just wondering *IF* you are lucky enough to get a case, are they usually in good shape? i know they aren't guaranteed, but any way to increase your chances ie emailing a request for w/case only?[/quote]

Easiest solution to this problem was to check the condition of the game IN the store. THAT would have solved all of your freezing problems right there, as you probably would've decided against buying it then and there.

Do you have a Gamecrazy around you? If so, if the scratches aren't insanely deep, they could try and resurface it for I believe $2-3 per disc. As for the stains, are they on the actual case insert/artwork or the manual?

If not, cases are super cheap(buy a copy of one of the 3-4 year old Madden games for PS2 for .99 and swap out the cases)and voila, you have a minty looking game(after resurfacing and case swap out)and you can actually PLAY it.

Also, be sure to check the TOP of the disc, since if there's ANY damage there you may get part way through the game(even after resurfacing) and it may crash.

Hope this helps.....

Oh and THoward, I gotta ask this again. Are you the CEO of Gamestop or something? Seriously? If Wherehouse.com(Transworld company) can catalog their games(older gen only though), then what the hell is stopping Gamestop? I mean, I know they're TRYING to put into place a program where people will get seriously penalized for trading in disc only/scratched up games, which should've come to pass a LOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Of course, I know Suzy Soccer Mom will bitch her self important little head off at the employees and get any fees reversed so that little Johnny who plays frisbee with his games and lets the dog chew on them can trade in his games and get some credit to buy another game, so the program will NEVER come to fruition.

I am thinking of ordering a copy from the website and was just wondering *IF* you are lucky enough to get a case, are they usually in good shape? i know they aren't guaranteed, but any way to increase your chances ie emailing a request for w/case only?[/QUOTE]

Hey DarkCecil,

Until we are able to secure the web stock from the store stock (early next year) it's really down to playing the odds. We recently did an analysis of the stock. 70% came with the original box and cover-art and 60% came with the original instructions. If the original case is missing, we will repackage the game in a standard, black DVD case. (You will always get a case)

The condition is usually good to very good, with the occasional mint and an occasional poor slipping through the QA process. Regardless, if you happen to get a poor condition game, you can return it to your local store for refund or exchange (assuming you meet the store return requirements).

Hope this helps.

Best,
Retro

If you're the type of person that cares about complete games in good condition, you should avoid ordering from gamestops website. Check ebay, and read through the auctions in which they specify that they're mint and complete.

Here's a Shadow Hearts Covenant, complete copy says in great condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shadow-Hearts-C...yZ139973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's $10-$15 more than Gamestop but you usually gotta pay more to get games complete/mint it's just part of game buying.

I fall under the very picky buyer category. I have over 500 original games, only 1 is greatest hits/player's choice etc... (Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution on Ps2, which only came in greatest hits) Except for a few snes/nes/n64 games all of my games are complete. And all of my games are in mint condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for the case because 9 out of 10 times they have it and that instantly boosts the resale.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hey DarkCecil,

Until we are able to secure the web stock from the store stock (early next year) it's really down to playing the odds. We recently did an analysis of the stock. 70% came with the original box and cover-art and 60% came with the original instructions. If the original case is missing, we will repackage the game in a standard, black DVD case. (You will always get a case)

The condition is usually good to very good, with the occasional mint and an occasional poor slipping through the QA process. Regardless, if you happen to get a poor condition game, you can return it to your local store for refund or exchange (assuming you meet the store return requirements).

Hope this helps.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

You know, I really respect your continuous effort to provide feedback on this site. CAG'ers can be quite picky/demanding so I know there's alot of stuff that you've got on your plate. Just to know that GS/EB is working on continuous improvement is why I keep shopping there.

Oh, and I know there's an email where you can send complaints, but what about when an employee goes above and beyond the normal duty and really shines a positive light on the company? I'd love to see my favourite clerk get some sort of positive reinforcement from someone other than myself.

[quote name='THoward7382']. You expect a company with 10million plus games to make notes on every game? [/quote]

Ok, lets not pull numbers out of our ass.

Number might be a bit high, dont you think?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Easiest solution to this problem was to check the condition of the game IN the store. THAT would have solved all of your freezing problems right there, as you probably would've decided against buying it then and there.

Do you have a Gamecrazy around you? If so, if the scratches aren't insanely deep, they could try and resurface it for I believe $2-3 per disc. As for the stains, are they on the actual case insert/artwork or the manual?

If not, cases are super cheap(buy a copy of one of the 3-4 year old Madden games for PS2 for .99 and swap out the cases)and voila, you have a minty looking game(after resurfacing and case swap out)and you can actually PLAY it.

Also, be sure to check the TOP of the disc, since if there's ANY damage there you may get part way through the game(even after resurfacing) and it may crash.

Hope this helps.....

Oh and THoward, I gotta ask this again. Are you the CEO of Gamestop or something? Seriously? If Wherehouse.com(Transworld company) can catalog their games(older gen only though), then what the hell is stopping Gamestop? I mean, I know they're TRYING to put into place a program where people will get seriously penalized for trading in disc only/scratched up games, which should've come to pass a LOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Of course, I know Suzy Soccer Mom will bitch her self important little head off at the employees and get any fees reversed so that little Johnny who plays frisbee with his games and lets the dog chew on them can trade in his games and get some credit to buy another game, so the program will NEVER come to fruition.[/quote]

Well, that's what I had the receipt for. It's just bad luck that I somehow lost it, apparently somewhere between the gamestop store and getting to my car. Also, the game still plays, but the fact that it has frozen multiple times in only a few hours of playing worries me. I mean it's smudged and looks like someone spilled a liquid and or spit all over it, but there's very few scratches.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hey DarkCecil,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Awesome response, much appreciated. I'll probably return the games straight to the website and be out the shipping money, as long as I can attain at least one copy in very good condition, I'll be a happy camper.

I usually tend to avoid used games, but at the moment, I'm a bit strapped for cash and I can't afford to shell out 55-60$ for a 4 year old PS2 RPG. As for the person who suggested ebay, I was considering that, but I've had bad experiences with used games twice on ebay (big discrepancy between description and actual item -- even with people with great feedback). I once bought a copy of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. The game wouldn't play at all and seller refused to refund me. I was a lot younger then (this was like 6,7 years ago) and didn't feel like filing a complaint, and wound up eventually buying a sealed copy for 100$+

When ordering Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner from them, I got a scratched up disc and a really crappy case (torn plastic, marker writing on it). It did have the manual, which I was pleasantly surprised about. The case wasn't a big deal, as I just could swap it out for another case, but I had to visit different Gamestops to get the disc exchanged (there was noticeably long load times that I knew shouldn't exist). The game is semi hard to find, so it became a chore to travel around, but I did manage to get one.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Well, that's what I had the receipt for. It's just bad luck that I somehow lost it, apparently somewhere between the gamestop store and getting to my car. Also, the game still plays, but the fact that it has frozen multiple times in only a few hours of playing worries me. I mean it's smudged and looks like someone spilled a liquid and or spit all over it, but there's very few scratches. [/QUOTE]

Honestly, this is why I have a tupperware box full of assorted game cleaning items, ready to see what I can do about the dregs of the gaming world. :lol:

Have you tried just cleaning the smudges/gunk off? Out of all the defective games I've ever cleaned, I've had a total of 3 not start working totally... a copy of Kessen 2 from the flea market I'm pretty damn sure heat-warped in the sun before I found and bought it (runs fine... except it always freezes right before the end cinema starts :cry:); A copy of Evil Zone that had huge gashes in the bottom even when I bought it brand-new (got the gashes totally off, but it didn't fix the sound-skipping), and a Galerians disc (wouldn't load past the opening cutscene... never did figure that out.)

Unless the actual paper of the case is damaged, chances are your game's salvageble.

Easiest way to get off smudges/fingerprints is plain old Windex. I bought a copy of Powerdrome Racing from a Gamestop about 2-3 years ago(merely for flipping) and the bottom of it looked like it had been wet and then it was dropped in sawdust or something.

It really looked THAT gritty and dirty. So, I took it back to that Gamestop(after FYE rejected it due to the grit)and they sprayed a paper towel with a ton of Windex and wiped it down. It looked like brand new under all that muck.

That's all that it takes sometimes to get a game that has smudges and what not to play.

Oh and for the record, if your copy has damage to the coverart and the game came in a regular and NOT dual case, I have the cover, manual and case for SH: Covenant.

I ended up buying it from Kmart for $3 on clearance, but no one could give me a straight answer as to whether or not it was turn based or an action-y RPG, so I traded it(disc only) to Gamestop for $17 in credit.

ewww...

got my Batman: Vengeance (GC) today. The ship time was decent 1 day for confirmation and 6 days for it to arrive. No case, no manual, and the game has sticker right over the entire disc (it looked like someone tried for about 30 seconds to get it off, and then just tore through hole of the disc to make it "playable". It was in a GS regular case and the disc was in an unsealed over sized envelope.

Haven't tested the game, but jeez....

I just hope the game is playable, because it's not worth the hassle of returning the sub-5 dollar game.

It amazes me at times how much gunk and other unidentified crap is on the games/manuals/cases of the games I've seen @ Gamestop.

I mean, I know some people treat their stuff like shit, but some of the games look like they were actually shit on.

I remember my first order with GS.com, was Sonic Adventures for DC, and it actually came complete and in great condition. After that, I got disk only games, or when they did come with a case, its been ravaged by stickers and goo.

Im wondering, how exactly does GS get these games? Surplus trade ins from stores I presume? Do they only send popular games back in lets say, a dozen at a time, or do they send hundereds of titles at a time? Or do they just send back all the crap they know wont sell in stores? And do all stores send stuff back, or are there select stores that do it?

[quote name='Samus']Why would you even bother with GameStops shit and just order from eBay or something?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes coupon codes give you better deals. And there are some rarer games that you might wanna risk trying for on gs.com

Another question I wonder, do they give you the best copy, or just some random copy? Would be nice if anyone from a distribution center posted here ;)

[quote name='Link927']Would be nice if anyone from a distribution center posted here ;)[/quote]

I'd like to know this as well. My gamestop told me sometimes they have to send out used games because of requests. I'm wondering if each store does this or if there's a major distribution center?

[quote name='Samus']Why would you even bother with GameStops shit and just order from eBay or something?[/quote]

Because I couldn't find Batman anywhere besides a GS that was 20 or so miles away. So partly laziness, but also the 26% off code on a 5.99, you can really beat that price even if the game is in gross condition.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Honestly, this is why I have a tupperware box full of assorted game cleaning items, ready to see what I can do about the dregs of the gaming world. :lol:

Have you tried just cleaning the smudges/gunk off? Out of all the defective games I've ever cleaned, I've had a total of 3 not start working totally... a copy of Kessen 2 from the flea market I'm pretty damn sure heat-warped in the sun before I found and bought it (runs fine... except it always freezes right before the end cinema starts :cry:); A copy of Evil Zone that had huge gashes in the bottom even when I bought it brand-new (got the gashes totally off, but it didn't fix the sound-skipping), and a Galerians disc (wouldn't load past the opening cutscene... never did figure that out.)

Unless the actual paper of the case is damaged, chances are your game's salvageble.[/quote]

I tried spraying it down with some monster lcd cleaner (was assured by a friend of mine that it wasn't abrasive to the disk) and that didn't seem to really help =/. The game still runs, but the fact that it's frozen on me at least 5 times in under 8 hours of playing is just bothering me. I'm usually really ocdish with how I treat my games (I always wash my hands with soap before I handle a game just so I won't smudge it if I touch the disk by accident, etc), and I hate not having something in pristine condition.

In the case of this particular game, however, I just wanted to be able to play it without paying an arm and a leg for a new copy. I'm trying to save up to get a new tv hopefully by early next year, and the rest of my money is always invested straight into the stock market. I wish I hadn't lost the receipt, then I simply could have returned it. Oh well.

bread's done
Back