If you get a really bad haircut, is it reasonable to refuse to pay the barber?

the haircut must be really, really, really bad if I refuse to pay for it. Like the barber accidently buzzes a hole in your hair bad...

Well is it a really bad haircut? Or did he not like the style?

If you choose to let the stylist do whatever she or he wants to do with it, and then you don't like it. Well that is your fault.

If you ask them to do something very specific and they mess up, or don't follow directions within reason, then I would say it is reasonable to not pay, or ask for a discount.

Pay and don't ever go back. And don't recommend them to anyone ever if anyone asks (and they probably will if they see your hair).

[quote name='Over easy']Pay and don't ever go back. And don't recommend them to anyone ever if anyone asks (and they probably will if they see your hair).[/quote]

Yep.

that's a good question... reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where he gets a bad haircut and has to wear a hat.

What can you do about it? Nothing. You can't get a refund or a fix.
One of the very few things in life that once someone screws up, they can't fix it.

It could be worst. I once gotten a bad haircut and a 1/4 inch of cut to my ear. I was little and didn't notice why the guy quickly stop and ran to the back.

If you want to dispute it argue with the hair cutter insist you can't be expected to pay for poor work, then inform them while you'll pay if required you're going to take them to small claims court for the cost of the hair cut AND the cost of hiring another barber to fix their terrible work. Then make sure to write on the check or credit card slip below the signature box paid under protest.

Also was the haircut done at a local shop or a big chain? One of the advantages of the chain stores is they often offer a satisfaction policy that the individual hair cutter might not tell you about and you can always bitch to the store manager.

[quote name='zionoverfire']inform them while you'll pay if required you're going to take them to small claims court for the cost of the hair cut AND the cost of hiring another barber to fix their terrible work[/QUOTE]
threatening small claims court over something so ridiculous is instafail

[quote name='Koggit']threatening small claims court over something so ridiculous is instafail[/quote]

yea it's like that one judge I think who tried to sue this dry cleaner for millions over lost trousers. In the end I think the dry cleaner went out of business even though another judge threw out the law suit, it was too much for the little guy. :(

so yea it's not worth fighting over as by the time the case goes to court, the hair will be back to normal. Unless the barber really fucks you over. Your tip is what counts.

I'm sure it's is illegal to not pay for a service and if the cops were called, you would be forced to do so or be placed under arrest. The most you can do is not tip. The only way to dispute this would be to take it to court.

[quote name='Hostile']I'm sure it's is illegal to not pay for a service and if the cops were called, you would be forced to do so or be placed under arrest. The most you can do is not tip. The only way to dispute this would be to take it to court.[/quote]

He actually called the cops and they came, laughed at him, then left. Then he and the barber started to get into a mini-fight of pushing and name calling, and he just paid and left.

[quote name='cmart05']lol if you pay than you are an idiot.[/QUOTE]

well, if you walk out of a service, that would make you a thief actually, so if you didn't take the bus and drove a car, they get your plate number and call the cops... well then I would say you should expect a visit

[quote name='help1']He actually called the cops and they came, laughed at him, then left. Then he and the barber started to get into a mini-fight of pushing and name calling, and he just paid and left.[/QUOTE]

Your friend sounds like the most pathetic douche ever.

Hair grows back. Quit being a baby about it.

Go home, get an electric razor, buzz it off, call it your summer haircut, and chill the fuck out.

[quote name='mastagoalie']well, if you walk out of a service, that would make you a thief actually, so if you didn't take the bus and drove a car, they get your plate number and call the cops... well then I would say you should expect a visit[/QUOTE]
you don't have to pay for a service you didn't receive -- if the agreement was for your hair to be cut the way your instructed, and that isn't what they did, you are not contractually obligated to pay...

it's as if you told me to paint your house red and i painted it blue. you wouldn't have to pay me.

Called the cops? What a jerk. Just leave without paying and dont come back if its that bad. Otherwise deal with it for a whole 1 month of your life

[quote name='mastagoalie']well, if you walk out of a service, that would make you a thief actually, so if you didn't take the bus and drove a car, they get your plate number and call the cops... well then I would say you should expect a visit[/quote]

You're paying for a service to satisfy your needs. IF you're not satisified with something why the fuck would you pay for it? That's why you should only go to barbers you trust. I'd rather wait an hour + for my barber to finish with his other cuts than go with joe schmoe.

Depends how bad. If it's enough that you can go outside daily for a month before it grows out again, pay the person. Otherwise make sure you never go back to that place.

Process for dealing with a bad haircut:

1. Let the barber know they screwed up, but politely.
2. Pay for the service, but don't tip.
3. Let the manager of the shop know you did not like your haircut, etc.
4. Next time, ask to see a different barber within the same shop or visit a separate shop. (Skills amongst barbers vary between individuals, not shops, and yes, you can ask to see a specific barber. Any shop that says you cannot is a shop you should not be visiting.)

When an individual barber receives enough complaints, they are eventually removed from the shop, as they are losing the shop customers. Operations vary from shop to shop, but overall when someone is getting enough complaints, they are let go, just like any other business.

Now, as far as the argument of paying/not paying goes, haircuts are a vary vague concept, and there is NOT a universal standard amongst barber tools. What is a "5" in length for one barber is a "3" for another, which is part of the reason so many people stick with a single barber they like. Koggit's paint argument does not hold here, as we all have universal standards for what "red" and "blue" are. Whereas we do not have universally recognized standards for haircuts.

When selecting a barber, you are actually developing a business relationship, not just paying for a service. Having a barber that knows exactly what you want every 3-6 months is worth much more than the $15-20 you pay each time. Just as in dating, you may decide at the end of the first date that you never want to see this person again, but you'll still pay for their dinner (unless you're a real dick :)).

~HotShotX

kinda douchey to stiff the guy his couple of bucks. don't like the haircut, don't go back next time. can you imagine if everyone starts pulling this bs on him?

[quote name='Koggit']it's as if you told me to paint your house red and i painted it blue. you wouldn't have to pay me.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like a material breach to me. Who wants a red house anyway?

[quote name='tinman_licks']kinda douchey to stiff the guy his couple of bucks. don't like the haircut, don't go back next time. can you imagine if everyone starts pulling this bs on him?[/quote]
I imagine he would start doing a better fucking job.

note to self

argue with barber about not paying AFTER getting out of the chair!!!!

Say fuck it shave it bald then say GLITTER BITCH. and knock over the magizine rack and run out. I guess we will call it a cut & run.

[quote name='HotShotX']Process for dealing with a bad haircut:

1. Let the barber know they screwed up, but politely.
2. Pay for the service, but don't tip.
3. Let the manager of the shop know you did not like your haircut, etc.
4. Next time, ask to see a different barber within the same shop or visit a separate shop. (Skills amongst barbers vary between individuals, not shops, and yes, you can ask to see a specific barber. Any shop that says you cannot is a shop you should not be visiting.)
[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's it.

[quote name='JJSP']I'm with Strell. There's no such thing as a bad haircut.[/quote]

Really??

How about this:
vanilla-ice.jpg

bread's done
Back