If you own Painkiller, I need a bit of help here.

Foxhack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
113 (100%)
I recently bought the Painkiller three game set that includes Painkiller, Battle Out of Hell, and Overdose. It's sitting right here on my desk with me. I decided to look around for any patch downloads so I could install the game later, when I found out that one of the games in this thing has SecuROM in it. I've heard a TON of bad things about SecuROM ever since Bioshock came out, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I've used software with SecuROM in the past and they refuse to work because I have CD emulation software installed. Now, I don't mind copy protection schemes, I understand why they're needed and all that... but when a GAME refuses to work because I have Alcohol 120% installed (which I use to burn backup CDs) and demands that I remove it, well, that's just way beyond what they can ask of me.

I was wondering if anyone's had any issues with the games. I've heard good things about them, and I really want to play them, but I don't want to install something that will prevent me from doing other stuff just because they thing I'm going to pirate the game. I haven't opened the game yet so I can take it to Gamestop, get my $22 back, and spend it on something else that doesn't have software that can cripple my PC. Like a couple of Gamecube games or six PS2 games from the cheapy bin.

Er. Anyone?

No idea on that tripple pack, but I haven't played the lastest exp, I have the double pack and overdose.

Really what you'd want is two computers... one to do gaming and one to do backup....

One could dual boot, install two OS on one pc... a pain, but so is SecureRom.

Only other way is to get a Hack copy.... and install it that way, make sure you don't need the CD and play away.

Well, the thing is - I don't WANT to crack the games. If I'm going to crack a game I paid for I might as well download a pirate copy instead. Like I said, I don't mind copy protection as long as it only checks for the CD or something like that. If it doesn't want to let me play it because I have something else installed, then I won't pay for it.

Dammit, I'm trying very hard to not be a pirate here and the company ain't helping.

SecuROM isn't too good, but it's better than Starforce.

I probably have some games with SecuROM that I don't know have it.

Edit : Yeah, I have some games with it. They put this shit on demos too? fucking heinous.

Depends on the SecuROM version...

The older versions won't cause any problem.. however, after 4.7 and specifically 7.x and above, that is where they really start to get annoying. Being that it is an older game, I think you should be fine. But still, just check and see what version it uses.

I never had an issues with Painkiller or any other SecureRom games. And I too have Alcohol installed. I also have daemon tools with the SecureRom emulation enabled, try that. Also try YASU.

[quote name='darthbudge']Depends on the SecuROM version...

The older versions won't cause any problem.. however, after 4.7 and specifically 7.x and above, that is where they really start to get annoying. Being that it is an older game, I think you should be fine. But still, just check and see what version it uses.[/quote]
The first two games use SafeDisc CD checks / online CD key checks. I haven't been able to find out if the online CD key checks mean I can't give the game to someone once I'm done with it or not.

The THIRD game (where you play the bad guy) uses Securom v7.

It's funny. I rarely get interested in games anymore, but this one looks so over the top I couldn't wait to buy it... dammit.

Edit:
dtarasev, I don't use Daemon Tools because it made my system very unstable when I tried it. Maybe it's gotten better since then, I dunno. I just have lousy luck with SecuRom stuff - I couldn't use one of those dumb Video Professor Teaches Frontpage because SecuRom didn't like me having Alcohol installed!

I'm actually thinking of returning the game and exchanging it for something that I know won't give me issues - like Counter-Strike Source. :p

bread's done
Back