IGN hands on with DS Lite

"and even at the lowest brightness setting the screens are brighter, more colorful, and have a wider viewing angle."

What the hell does that mean?? :shock: :shock:

[quote name='Requiem']"... and have a wider viewing angle."

What the hell does that mean?? :shock: :shock:[/QUOTE]

It means the screen does not lose quality when viewed from more extreme angles than the normal DS. ie if the DS is tilted to the side a bit, objects on the lite's screen would be more visible than on the normal DS.

I can't wait until the ds lite is released in the US. Hopefully, we'll get all the pretty colors too. I want a white one to match my white psp.

[quote name='dayglo']It means the screen does not lose quality when viewed from more extreme angles than the normal DS. ie if the DS is tilted to the side a bit, objects on the lite's screen would be more visible than on the normal DS.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's really cool. I didn't even know they could improve that.
I initially thought they meant they added more viewing space, ie slightly bigger screen :lol:

[quote name='The Dord']I wonder if there will be any ghosting problems with this? on the GBA SP ver 2, its quite visible.[/QUOTE]

IGN will tell us when they do a full review in a few days

[quote name='undyingforce5']IGN will tell us when they do a full review in a few days[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I'm waiting then :)

none announced yet. some people speculate May, but i think it will be later due to what reggie said about the reason for their japan release timing.

I wouldn't mind having a DS that was lighter and had a longer battery life. Those are the only 2 things on the DSlite that interest me and that is not enough for me to justify buying one. I just got my current DS a few months ago and it works good enough for me. I'll wait until a third redesign before I consider giving this one up.

The rumor is the title might get a day and date release with New Super Mario Bros. If so, it might also mean a regular package and a deluxe one with the game packed-in (for a higher cost, obviously).

I honestly don't care about the improved birghtness very much. The regular DS is plenty bright already...I'm more interested in the light weight of the system. :)

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I honestly don't care about the improved birghtness very much. The regular DS is plenty bright already...I'm more interested in the light weight of the system. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm more interested in the non-ugly brick look of the system :)

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I honestly don't care about the improved birghtness very much. The regular DS is plenty bright already...I'm more interested in the light weight of the system. :)[/QUOTE]
Have you tried playing the system in sunlight or florcent lighting? It's nothing but pain currently.

[quote name='daroga']Have you tried playing the system in sunlight or florcent lighting? It's nothing but pain currently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sunlight is pretty bad...would the brighter screen fix that, though?

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Yeah, sunlight is pretty bad...would the brighter screen fix that, though?[/QUOTE]
If the new SP2 is any indication, yes. I can play that thing in any lighting conditions and it looks great.

How bad is the ghosting on SP2? Is it a negligible issue or would anyone actually prefer to use the original SP to avoid it?

[quote name='MJS']How bad is the ghosting on SP2? Is it a negligible issue or would anyone actually prefer to use the original SP to avoid it?[/QUOTE]
Negligible to the extreme. People here make a huge deal about it... I've never had a moment's trouble with it or even noticed it (and I'm pretty picky about my screen refresh rate issues).

[quote name='daroga']Negligible to the extreme. People here make a huge deal about it... I've never had a moment's trouble with it or even noticed it (and I'm pretty picky about my screen refresh rate issues).[/quote]
Cool to the extreme...I suspected as much. Looks like the new DS screen is enough for me to get rid of the old and bring in the lite.

bread's done
Back