IGN has part 1 of their Star Wars Trilogy Review Up

morpheusxp

CAGiversary!
RETURN_OF_THE_JEDI-5t_1094691176.jpg

IGN Star Wars Trilogy Review Part 1

[quote name='Birakon']why review a movie so old? thats dumb its the same movie its just on dvd[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's not the case...

[quote name='Sartori']Oh god I just learned they changed Fett's voice.

Worst edit so far, kill me now.[/quote]

Yeah, this one didn't make sense to me. They say that his voice should match Jango's 'because he is a clone of Jango'. Is he not Jango's son?

Well, he's a clone - yeah. But that doesn't mean he can't be his own. Jango sucked 100%. It's bad enough that when I watch Episode II I get to see a whiny kid and all in place of my favorite Star Wars character - but now I get to be reminded of it with that annoying accent Jango has.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Sartori']Oh god I just learned they changed Fett's voice.

Yeah, this one didn't make sense to me. They say that his voice should match Jango's 'because he is a clone of Jango'. Is he not Jango's son?[/quote]

Jango asked that the Kaminoans create an unaltered clone for him,hence Boba is an exact duplicate of himself.

[quote name='Sartori']Oh god I just learned they changed Fett's voice.

wtf why would they change his voice, goddamit

Sheesh, piss and moan....deal with it.....

I thought more people would bitch about inserting Hayden Christenson in at the end of Jedi.

[quote name='doubledown']Sheesh, piss and moan....deal with it.....

I thought more people would bitch about inserting Hayden Christenson in at the end of Jedi.[/quote]

They tie in my book.

Changing Boba's voice does suck, even though he only has like two or three lines in the whole trilogy. What I don't understand is why Pigman wants the original trilogy to conform to the new trilogy. He should be distancing himself from them new movies, and blame them on a bad acid trip in a few years, or something.

IMO the original movies owned and they never should have made these new ones. The Trilogy would be untouched and I wouldn't have to see shitty new star wars movies.

im torn, i mean its dvd... i love dvds, the quality the sound... but these mutilated versions of the trilogy, somebody should kill lucas, or throw him in the nut house, he obviously lost it long ago

After reading the review, it seems that most changes will be either improvements, or have little to no change to the films at all. The execptions are the Han / Greedo scene (improved from 1997, but still inferior to the original), and, much worse, the Emporer knowing and revealing Luke's relationship with Vader. This destroys what is possibly the most powerful scene in the Trilogy. By revealing this bit of information early, it denies the audience the moment of shock when Vader reveals this fact to Luke. While this may not seem a big deal to us, who have known about this secret for most of our lives, the fact is, many who are watching the films for the first time, will be watching this version.

[quote name='Birakon']trakan no one is making you watch them[/quote]

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. I was just giving my opinion.

Sheesh...fanboys....I'm not worried one bit about the changes. Ok, so they are NOT the exact same when they came out.....it's still technically the same movie.

I for one will be buying the DVD's come Sept.21st!

[quote name='doubledown']Sheesh...fanboys....I'm not worried one bit about the changes. Ok, so they are NOT the exact same when they came out.....it's still technically the same movie.

I for one will be buying the DVD's come Sept.21st![/quote]

Oh darn. I'm a Star Wars fan who'd like to watch what he grew up watching without all the snazz and "added effects". Sue me.

[quote name='rebenns']After reading the review, it seems that most changes will be either improvements, or have little to no change to the films at all. The execptions are the Han / Greedo scene (improved from 1997, but still inferior to the original), and, much worse, the Emporer knowing and revealing Luke's relationship with Vader. This destroys what is possibly the most powerful scene in the Trilogy. By revealing this bit of information early, it denies the audience the moment of shock when Vader reveals this fact to Luke. While this may not seem a big deal to us, who have known about this secret for most of our lives, the fact is, many who are watching the films for the first time, will be watching this version.[/quote]

i didnt know about the emperor revealing that, that is weak as hell i dont think im getting the dvd's.

[quote name='rebenns']After reading the review, it seems that most changes will be either improvements, or have little to no change to the films at all. The execptions are the Han / Greedo scene (improved from 1997, but still inferior to the original), and, much worse, the Emporer knowing and revealing Luke's relationship with Vader. This destroys what is possibly the most powerful scene in the Trilogy. By revealing this bit of information early, it denies the audience the moment of shock when Vader reveals this fact to Luke. While this may not seem a big deal to us, who have known about this secret for most of our lives, the fact is, many who are watching the films for the first time, will be watching this version.[/quote]
Where does it say anything about the Emperor revealing who Vader is? It says that he refers to Luke as the son of Anakin Skywalker, just like he does in the original version ("The son of Skywalker must not be allowed to become a Jedi.") The big reveal that Vader is actually Anakin (and therefore, Luke's father) still remains until the end, as it always has...

[quote name='Trakan']IMO the original movies owned and they never should have made these new ones. The Trilogy would be untouched and I wouldn't have to see shitty new star wars movies.[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='doubledown']
I thought more people would bitch about inserting Hayden Christenson in at the end of Jedi.[/quote]

That would be me - I think it's the worst edit he has done.

I'm still buying the dvd's though - I just wish somehow the 'untouched' originals would be put on dvd. I've been waiting for a long time for SW to be released on dvd, I just hoped Lucas would stop playing with them and leave them as they were.

[quote name='moiety']
I'm still buying the dvd's though - I just wish somehow the 'untouched' originals would be put on dvd. I've been waiting for a long time for SW to be released on dvd, I just hoped Lucas would stop playing with them and leave them as they were.[/quote]
I know that there are bootlegs made from the Laserdisk versions of the Star Wars trilogy.

[quote name='doubledown']Sheesh, piss and moan....deal with it.....

According to IGN if you watch ROTJ with the commentary turned on Lucas explains this in the commentary, which is spoilerish for Episode III.

[quote name='doubledown']Sheesh...fanboys....I'm not worried one bit about the changes. Ok, so they are NOT the exact same when they came out.....it's still technically the same movie.

I'm confused... Are fanboys those who dont like the changes, or those that will buy the new DVD's no matter what? (my understanding of a nintendo fanboy was someone who continued to say something was good even if it got crappy just cause its Nintendo)

I guess there are purist fanboys and real fanboys. I will buy regardless....but some boycott and refuse to buy since there are some changes in the set.

I used to own the LaserDisc set and I sold it for a decent price. Glad I can get the DVD....much ebtter quality

I definitely don't like the Christiansen change. I mean, why not change Ben to Ewan McGregor while you're at it? I don't really care about the Boba voice change, it's the same change as digitally altering Vader's eye color to match Christiansen's. Not a big deal and lends continuity.

What I would really prefer is a version that is exactly the same as the originals but has all of the digital visual altering to fix the old special effects (such as the off-color backgrounds behind tie-fighters).

Knowing that George Lucas is involved with this, im sure he has some master plan to earn the most money he possibly can and will one day release the original trilogy, but first wants to squeese the pennies out of people to buy this version. Once everyone in the world has done so, then he will release the original trilogy so he can collect his fee once again. Greedy pig....

[quote name='Ericnmel99']Knowing that George Lucas is involved with this, im sure he has some master plan to earn the most money he possibly can and will one day release the original trilogy, but first wants to squeese the pennies out of people to buy this version. Once everyone in the world has done so, then he will release the original trilogy so he can collect his fee once again. Greedy pig....[/quote]

Well, in all honesty.....I think a majority of the people would pass on this. Hear me out. Most of the general public does not know or care too much about the changes being made to the trilogy. Therefore, some would be like "why buy the old version when I have this new suped up version?"

If Lucas wanted to make money...he would've released the "original" trilogy years ago...then re-released the new and "improved/screwed" trilogy.
The general public is always looking for NEW stuff and features. Don't get me wrong, the purists would want the unaltered versions. I for one, don't see too much trouble with the changes. They just did them to make all the stories flow a bit more better and match up.

It's also funny....nobody (not as many) is(are) complaining that he made a ton of changes to his THX1138 movie. Apparently the changes there are GREAT and make it a better movie. I don't know though, never saw it....so I will probably pick up the DVD and enjoy it

I agree. SWT are my favorite movies ever but some people need to relax or go outside or something...

[quote name='Requiem']fock this dvd. fock lucas.[/quote]

*marks you for censor bypass*

Wait...wrong site. Damn it!

In any case, this is sounding worse and worse. The Emperor revealing the father/son thing early really bothers me, because that ruins what sounds like the best moment in the trilogy...

Maybe I WON'T bother watching ESB and ROTJ...

I already pre-ordered, unfortunately George Lucas has us all over a barrel, whispering "take that shit bitch" in our ear while we reach for our wallets.

I dont really mind most of the changes that much (except the changing of actors for Anakin's ghost), so I feel that my money will be well spent on the DVDs. I do wish that they would have included the orginal version on the DVDs (with a few touchups, like the blob under the landspeeder).
If I had to place my bets, I would bet that the orginal versions of the trilogy will be released with the other three Star Wars films a few years after the trilogy comes out (or even sooner, depending on how much money Episode 3 makes in the box office. It could even be later, because we might have to wait for George to die before they get released). There is no proof, or even evidence of that, but I just have a hunch.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Requiem']fock this dvd. fock lucas.[/quote]

In any case, this is sounding worse and worse. The Emperor revealing the father/son thing early really bothers me, because that ruins what sounds like the best moment in the trilogy...

Maybe I WON'T bother watching ESB and ROTJ...[/quote]

I don't feel anything was ruined. This is what is said in the new version:

Palpy
We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader
How is that possible?

Palpy
Search your feelings Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.

Vader
He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

[quote name='davidmt'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Requiem']fock this dvd. fock lucas.[/quote]

Maybe I WON'T bother watching ESB and ROTJ...[/quote]

I don't feel anything was ruined. This is what is said in the new version:

Palpy
We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader
How is that possible?

Palpy
Search your feelings Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.

Vader
He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.[/quote]

Um...would you believe that I didn't read the dialouge and just believed the other posters here?

Oops... :oops:

I guess that conversation is a spoiler if you watch the entire Star Wars series from 1-6 and have never seen the original trilogy before the new trilogy.

bread's done
Back