IGN reviews GTA 4. My God.

I can't say I'm surprised. From what I've seen and heard it looks awesome, plus it has that whole "hype" thing going on. Games with this much coverage usually do fairly well with reviews.

I don't know about the reviews anymore. I know xbox was telling mags that they would not let them use their game images anymore if they did not rate games higher then they had been. I saw reviews for wrestlemaina before it came out and it said it was great. I go out and buy the game and its the biggest peice of crap ever. I go back to the review pages and the reviews have all changed!!!!

I think this one will be good though. Im getting it either way. I have loved all the others.

Does anyone know if you can change him like in gta san andreas. Can you make him fat or get a hair cut, or ink him up.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.

While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

PS3 version gets a 10.1. :)

I didn't read the entire review (7 pages :shock:) but wow.

My question though, is it even going to be worth messing at all with if you're not using online multiplayer?

Of course WSB.
Never enjoyed the other GTAs?
It's all about the single player.

In this case though, the multi sounds just as fun.

And here's some comments from that cool guy who works at Insomniac, JStevenson:

PS3 version FTW. Intihar just changed his pre-order from 360 to PS3 based on this at what the 1up Crew has been telling him... heh.

Is it just me, or does IGN think they become better writers when they write more and more and more?
I'm not reading a 7 page review. But wow at the score.

I'm playing it now and I wholeheartedly agree with the review. It's incredible in every way, although I don't know how to drive yet, lol.

And no I didnt pirate it, I got my legit copy early. If anyone else has it and wants to try out multiplayer, send me a FR ( I have the 360 version).

I still think it's bullshit how they didn't show a scrap of gameplay footage until, uh, now. Bad, bad, bad trend in videogame promotion.

Oh well. Looks amazing.

"Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time."

Them's big words. Mighty big words.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I still think it's bullshit how they didn't show a scrap of gameplay footage until, uh, now. Bad, bad, bad trend in videogame promotion.

Oh well. Looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

Eh. It's GTAIV. I'd be highly skeptical if it weren't a well-established franchise like this (e.g., think "Haze"), but with this being what it is, I don't think there's anything to be skeptical of.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. I'm a bit bothered that IGN gave this game's graphics a 10. But that's just pissing for pissing's sake, at that point.

Not at all surprised. The hype around this game alone will cause higher scores. It may be a masterpiece, but the hype is definitely going to help.

This *might* be the first GTA that I try.

TBW

[quote name='mykevermin']Eh. It's GTAIV. I'd be highly skeptical if it weren't a well-established franchise like this (e.g., think "Haze"), but with this being what it is, I don't think there's anything to be skeptical of.[/QUOTE]

It's not necessarily that I was skeptical. It's just that I would have liked to have seen some at least some microscopic tidbit of what the game plays/looks like at some point during the two years since it was announced.

[quote name='Kendal']I can't wait for GameSpot's 3.5 score. ;)[/quote]

OMG... I don't think they've recovered from that R&C incident last year. :lol:

[quote name='rodeojones903']Dammit I can't decide which system to pick it up for![/QUOTE]

360. The exclusive DLC is supposedly going to be absolutely ridiculous. As in, adding dozens of hours of new game content.

Yeah, that's impressive, but GTAIV being the super hyped game it is they could have very well just bumped what would normally be a 9/10 game.

Though, there's really no denying this game might just be worth checking out with that score....

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']360. The exclusive DLC is supposedly going to be absolutely ridiculous. As in, adding dozens of hours of new game content.[/quote]
According to who?

OXM reported that it's just some extra missions that aren't a part of the main story adding about 10 hours of gameplay.

[quote name='Moxio']There is no such thing as the perfect game.[/quote]

A "10" is not a score we give out very often. In fact, the last time we gave a 10 to a console game was Soul Calibur in 1999. A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws.
^

A 10 in graphics is a fucking joke. There is no way it should be with the framerate issues and pop-ins. I see jaggies a lot. I don't remember if this is in other gta games but if you press up against the wall, your body parts will go thru it. I don't know if its just me but the characters have this plastic look on them.

The driving control in this game is annoying as well. Why is the left analog stick the steering and the hud view? Why did they make it a hud view when thats what the right analog stick is for as well?

And where's this optional install on the 360 like people were saying? I didn't time it but the slideshow they make you watch takes like 30secs each boot up. Anyone know if the mandatory install on the PS3 will make you watch the stupid slideshow as well?

[quote name='dallow']According to who?

OXM reported that it's just some extra missions that aren't a part of the main story adding about 10 hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Okay, maybe "dozens" was an exaggeration of their claims, but they insist that it's pretty fucking huge. And yeah, no duh they aren't part of the "main story" of the regular game; they're supposedly entirely new episodic story branches (apparently in new locales), not just extra missions for the main story.

Remember, Microsoft paid 50 mil (which is several times the budget of your average top-tier current-gen game) to keep these things exclusive. They must be pretty damned substantial to justify such an investment

Additional info:
[quote name='xbox.com']GTA IV will take the form of two distinct episodes, both downloadable from Xbox Live and each a minimum of 10 hours long.[/quote]
http://www.xbox.com/en-gb/community/news/x06/gta4

[quote name='uk.gamespot.com']"We're not talking about an extra car or character here," Moore said when describing the "epic" episodic packs. He then joked about Rockstar keeping even him in the dark about the content packs, but emphasized that the packs would be lengthy.

A press release issued during the conference said only that the packs would add "hours of entirely new gameplay" to GTA4.[/quote]
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6158823.html?sid=6158823

GTAIV DLC
* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV
* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
http://www.thebitbag.com/2008/02/21/microsoft-blogger-breakfast-bullets/

[quote name='CVG Magazine']"Of course, to call games as vastly ambitious as Vice City or San Andreas mere 'expansion packs' seems childish, but nevertheless, the downloadable content (DLC) coming for the Xbox 360 version of IV has repositioned those games in just this way. DLC so far has meant the odd new car, jumper of bit of horse armour, but GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities; and the chances of them being London, Vice City or SA again are slim to none. So that's new as in brand new. GTA IV's Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited."[/quote]
http://www.playthree.net/2008/04/cvg-gta-iv-xbox-dlc-will-be-bigger-than.html

[quote name='dallow']

PS3 version gets a 10.1. :)[/QUOTE]

So that means PC version will get a 11.1 biatch... when It's released.

[quote name='karmapolice']Is this the first perfect ten since Zelda on N64?[/quote]

Strangely enough, the original Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur was also awarded a 10.

[quote name='karmapolice']Is this the first perfect ten since Zelda on N64?[/QUOTE]

No, Soul Calibur on Dreamcast got one.

And they've also given a couple dozen handheld games 10s since Zelda OOT came out.

[quote name='Short Round']Strangely enough, the original Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur was also awarded a 10.[/QUOTE]
It was amazing at the time (and still is). :O

IF Grand Theft Auto IV received anything less then a 10, wouldn't it be considered a dissapointment by majority people(Which I do not agree with at all)

The problem I have with 10's is the not the score, but the word under the score. In the case of IGN, who says a 10 is not perfect, plasters the word "PERFECT" under a 10.

EDIT: I see IGN changed their word under a 10. Well, they suck anyway.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Is it just me, or does IGN think they become better writers when they write more and more and more?
I'm not reading a 7 page review. But wow at the score.[/QUOTE]

what anime is the girl in your avatar from?

[quote name='Short Round']Did you 9.9 enjoy Jade Empire?[/QUOTE]

Maybe 9.2...I played through that game like 5 times and did pretty much all there was to do...haha.

Those explosions made me cream my pants. When he was shooting the car in front of him and then ran the car over while it was exploding, my oh my! I literally shouted "GAME OVER!" like 8 times.

[quote name='Moxio']There is no such thing as the perfect game.[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but with IGN's new rating style, it doesn't have to be. IIRC, they use ".5" intervals now, meaning that this game could be a 9.75 in reality.

"Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time."
Jesus H Christ

Ugh.

I couldn't get into a GTA since, oddly enough, GTA 2.

Was kinda hoping it would get mediocre scores so I didn't have to try it out. But now, I guess I will probably give it a chance.

IGN usually does over hype and overrate many games. Remember Jade Empire's 9.9 score? However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one...

bread's done
Back